Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forum Dead?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  00:55:02  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Have we just ran out of things to talk and debate about?

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  00:56:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope...things go in seasons here though...it will pick back up.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  01:08:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^This is not the only place that works like that, I guess.

Well, the complete absence of significant news about FR on WotC's side surely doesn't help...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 22 Sep 2014 01:08:45
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  01:25:26  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there's a stillness now because the Realms are sort of in flux with what's going on. Unless your up-to date on the Sundering it's uncertain what's going to happen now. If / When they come up with setting specific material, it'll give us an opportunity to discuss the changes.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  02:07:44  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It definitely seems like activity has gone down, but I guess it's expected during the summer season. Hopefully it will pick back up as season turns to winter. I'm never probably going past 3rd edition as my current campaign is set in 1372 DR, and I'll be playing that game for the foreseeable future. I post mostly in the DM's forum, with questions pertaining mostly to my own campaign. Sometimes I feel like I'm posting too much but I guess any activity is good activity. I had thought I'd raised some interesting topcis, but I usually never get more than about 6 replies. I would like to delve deeper into some interesting topics that don't seem well fleshed out in my game (manycoin services, why you can only be a druid of a "nature" deity, but you can be a cleric or a druid of a nature deity, dwarven mining techniques, crytography, what's REALLY inside the Evermoors, Fey in the Realms, everyday life during the winter - skiing etc, river travel, festivals, games, acceptance of orcs, deity specific rituals). I try to stay away from edition specific topics, but I do like to hear about certain time periods (1360s to 1370s).

My problem is my short attention span. I probably could find much reading on these topics if I could manage to read through the "Ask the Sages" threads from 7 years ago.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  02:10:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm flat out doing stuff on the Realms at the moment. So busy I can't find time to do the cities of Impiltur write-ups I've promised. The Realms keep chugging along.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  02:33:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, is the stuff you are doing a personal project, or has WotC finally decided to start working on the new FR lore?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  03:05:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also doing stuff on the Realms (amongst other things). I think a lot of people are, and if we are lucky, some of it may eventually make it into print.

I think a lot depends on the release of the 5eFR setting - right now is the "calm before the storm". When it comes out, there should be a flurry of activity, and hopefully it will be mostly positive. I think the 5e rules are very good, and FR is the 'core' setting now, so I expect a lot of goods things coming down the pipe. I've seen a lot of people asking FR questions on 5e boards, and I try to direct them here.

At the very least, its gotten me out of a very bad slump and back into gaming (and mapping!) I think we may be in for a D&D/FR renaissance soon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Sep 2014 03:05:50
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  05:42:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Out of curiosity, is the stuff you are doing a personal project, or has WotC finally decided to start working on the new FR lore?

It's not officially sanctioned by WotC work. But it might be one day.

Really, it should be.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  05:56:37  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

Sometimes I feel like I'm posting too much but I guess any activity is good activity.
You don't post too much.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  06:18:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I would like to delve deeper into some interesting topics that don't seem well fleshed out in my game (manycoin services, why you can only be a druid of a "nature" deity, but you can be a cleric or a druid of a nature deity, dwarven mining techniques, crytography, what's REALLY inside the Evermoors, Fey in the Realms, everyday life during the winter - skiing etc, river travel, festivals, games, acceptance of orcs, deity specific rituals). I try to stay away from edition specific topics, but I do like to hear about certain time periods (1360s to 1370s).

Ed's provided some information on most of these!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  10:53:18  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely have been posting a lot less than before, but hopefully things will pick up when more concrete info about 5e is released.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  11:50:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

It's not officially sanctioned by WotC work. But it might be one day.

Really, it should be.

-- George Krashos

Best wishes for that, then.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  11:54:22  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just been too busy. This week, I'm buying a new used truck; driving from Houston to Fort Worth, Texas; testing to earn an advanced Search and Rescue Technician certification; and then attending my beloved grandmother's funeral on Saturday. And somewhere in there, I've got to go to work. The Realms will just have to wait...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  12:14:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was offline for most of the weekend... I was out of town, and the expected wi-fi network there was inaccessible.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  12:15:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally never run out of things to talk about in the realms. If a debate is lacking then start one up and i will probably chime in at some point (unless it is a poll or about 4e/5e, or the gods).

I'm busy working on my Alternate Realms project so if you are looking for stuff realms related to chat about then let me know, i have a ton of ideas to work through, and even more research to do, and its always nice to have an extra head to bounce things off. Netheril is my area of focus for issue 7 onwards and i intend to write an alternative to the existing sourcebook we have, i always need more names, more ideas, etc.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  14:05:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And more about what I mentioned above (FR being the 'core' setting).

Going through the character creation proces in the 5ePHB, I noted that a player (Bob) is building his dwarf character, and names it Bruenor. He then pictures his character in his mind... with a helmet with one horn broken off! Right away I realize the name is more then just a casual coincidence - that they are alluding to THE Bruenor. Then I got to the background section and it says he is a 'folk hero' because he desires to reclaim his birthright - Mithril Hall!!! All that in the front of the book - you don't get much more 'core' then that.

And BTW, I should be embarrassed to say - it was only after the Mithril Hall reference that I realized who 'Bob' was... I am used to referring to him as 'RAS'.

I don't have the MM yet, but someone posted a list of history that was in that book - supposedly they are getting back to the MM being a fun, interesting read as well, rather then a dry book of stat blocks. I have to assume the history pertains to FR (and the Greatwheel/multiverse in-general, where applicable). They've used a lot of Greyhawk stuff as well - the Vaati (Windukes of Aaqa) are FR canon now!

I almost think they were listening to ME, with this more 'universal' approach to the lore.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Sep 2014 14:07:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  14:45:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn... took me forever to find the link.

Inferred History of the World, Per the Monster Manual (and a little PHB)

Just trying to generate some interest for this new edition - we should be leading this charge, not fizzling-out.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  23:09:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Been a busy planeswalker, as always. For me, the Realms are an always-interesting place to visit (and Candlekeep can often be a surprisingly useful resource) ... but the real action is in other planes of existence. The Realms just seems stagnant and stifled (largely by the same tired old cast of gods and goddesses and their various Chosen minions), while paradoxically it impresses me as a volatile world on the brink of (yet another) violent apocalypse at any moment. Too parochial and unstable for my liking. And I would take a cambion over a drow any day.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  01:58:12  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I almost think they were listening to ME, with this more 'universal' approach to the lore.

They totally were, MT!

Wouldn't it be cool if, decades hence, Ed were to reveal to us that WOTC had secretly been employing clandestine social media intelligence gatherers/spies to pick OUR brains for unfiltered feedback on the Realms, all along? Wouldn't it make you feel good to know that they valued our thoughts highly enough to steal them?

OMG, what if Wooly is really a Wootzy plant?!!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  04:21:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

OMG, what if Wooly is really a Wootzy plant?!!

No one would be more surprised than me!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  05:28:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Hmm. Been a busy planeswalker, as always. For me, the Realms are an always-interesting place to visit (and Candlekeep can often be a surprisingly useful resource) ... but the real action is in other planes of existence. The Realms just seems stagnant and stifled (largely by the same tired old cast of gods and goddesses and their various Chosen minions), while paradoxically it impresses me as a volatile world on the brink of (yet another) violent apocalypse at any moment. Too parochial and unstable for my liking. And I would take a cambion over a drow any day.

Hells yes! A Cambion over a Drow any day of the week!

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  08:19:07  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

Have we just ran out of things to talk and debate about?

You only get out of it what you put into it.

As for me: I don't feel that the forums are slow.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  09:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for me, I'm terribly busy working on my roguelike game and brainstorming lots of things. Recently the focus is on game and medieval economies - I found d20 prices really wonky.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2014 :  01:38:27  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. There has been woefully little thought given to in game economies. The prices are messed up and likely in response to the amount of treasure involved in most D20 games.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2014 :  16:49:23  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Things definitely go in cycles. Reality has a way of messing with everyone, now and again. I'm glad, after my hiatus, to find that this forum is still around and still receiving new fans and postings. It would be absolutely tragic to lose the knowledge contained within.

For those who have discussed with me before, well met, yet again.

Good Hunting.

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  22:39:29  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been busy building my own homebrew D&D world (which has somehow expanded into twelve worlds in one Crystal Sphere), in addition to helping one of my friend's set up his Pathfinder campaign. And trying to write a couple novels. And trying to get a job on top of all that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  03:19:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been working hard to finish up a major coding job for a client at work these past few months, which is why my activity here has been almost a fraction of what it was this time a year ago.

Plus, I'm still adding the final touches to Krash's "Impiltur Compilation of Lore" that I keep harping on about from time to time. And my ever ongoing effort to compile all-things-musically related in the Realmslore. Add to that, my compulsion to ensure the "So Saith Ed" archives are finally all up-to-date before year's end. And, lastly, there is the eternal nagging of my refining/tinkering with SageOS.

Oh, and, my famed "To-Do List" as well. In fact, it's pinging me now with things left undone for this morning...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  16:01:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be on that Impiltur map, but I've got 'bigger fish to fry' ATM. Its still on the back-burner.

All bodes-well for The Realms, folks.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2014 :  06:16:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT's fish are getting plentiful!

Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  02:32:07  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my reasons for posting less are twofold:

1. I've started a new job recently so i haven't had the time to get online as much
2. Aside from the Tiamat adventures, WOTC isn't doing anything Fr right now.

So for me it's a combination of not having as much time to talk and not having anything new to really talk about.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000