Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Cloudlands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  09:03:24  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I want to do something with the Cloudlands. For those not familiar, they were described briefly in Elminster's Ecologies as a realm above the Stonelands. Now mostly destroyed, the ruins of their buildings makes up the ruins in the stonelands.

The Cloudlands were mostly destroyed during the Crown Vs. Scepter wars - they were not named then but are now.

Has anyone done anything with this?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  09:20:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's long been a region I've been fascinated with. And the tantalising reference in Lost Empires of Faerūn [pg. 134] names the realm as "Cloudlands of Avaeraether," but little else beyond that point.

So, yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing/working more with this reference and/or the info provided in The Stonelands and the Goblin Marches.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  12:16:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Sage - I never noticed that reference. I love the name... but I'm going to suggest a slight change:

the Cloudlands of Avaeręther
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  13:14:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might find some ideas in this thread from last year.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18427

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  13:30:06  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew we had talked about this before some time (relatively) recently.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2014 :  07:20:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One possibility I see that no one suggested in the old thread is that the Realm was built upon the remnants (solid clouds of the giants) that remain from long ago. Ostoria once covered the region, and if we can assume that such magic infused clouds (of the variety described in Encyclopedia Magica) don't loose their divine magic with time, then even after the giants retreated and left the area to dragons, the clouds had inhabitants. Dragons, avariel, avians, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2014 :  18:09:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just don't upload any pics to the ICloudlands... Elminster has some unflattering selfies exposed by hackers recently (as did Khelben, Drizzt, Alias, and Alusair - The Harpers are currently looking into the incident).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  03:44:23  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
could that have been more random Markustay? :P
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  13:33:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Just don't upload any pics to the ICloudlands... Elminster has some unflattering selfies exposed by hackers recently (as did Khelben, Drizzt, Alias, and Alusair - The Harpers are currently looking into the incident).

Alias and Alusair you say? What's that url?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  13:34:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

One possibility I see that no one suggested in the old thread is that the Realm was built upon the remnants (solid clouds of the giants) that remain from long ago. Ostoria once covered the region, and if we can assume that such magic infused clouds (of the variety described in Encyclopedia Magica) don't loose their divine magic with time, then even after the giants retreated and left the area to dragons, the clouds had inhabitants. Dragons, avariel, avians, etc.

Yes, that would work as well.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000