Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Malleable Illusions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  23:11:35  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The 5th edition illusionist gains an ability called "Malleable Illusions" at 6th level that allows the caster to "change the nature of an illusion". I just don't understand what this means... What can I do with this ability?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  00:05:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well not having the rule set I would have to guess.

Illusions in the past were fixed at the moment of casting, a floor that is over a pit - step on the floor illusion you fall into the pit, or a illusion wall of stone, that most people would not try to walk though unless they use a spell to pass though stone.

A malleable illusion would likely be one that can be changed by the caster or prehaps condition of spell when cast.
I can see one option an illusion of a moat when first seen at 20 feet away, walking closer to the illusion in the moat you see deadly monsters.
The other way would be a tended illusion where the caster concentrates on the spell cast. If an illusion of hostile kobolds do not scare away unwanted visitors, they get replaced by orcs, trolls, or even more powerful foes or dangers in hope that to illusion is such it deters or scare away.

In any event malleable means changeable, so it follows that the illusion can by some system be changed to achieved a desired effect.

Edit:

Found this
quote:
Malleable Illusions- Change the nature of an illusion with duration of 1min+ that you cast which you can see.
Which clearly indicates the caster should attend the spell cast and change it as desired.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 20 Sep 2014 00:10:12
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  03:03:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At higher levels, creating illusions that respond to events has always been possible - but like so many things really depends on the skill of the player and the DM to do properly.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  17:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After looking at it and pondering the wording, I think it could mean you can change what your Illusion looks like as long as you are still doing what the spell describes. For instance, if I cast Disguise Self, I could change my Illusiory self to resemble a redhead instead of a Brunette without casting the spell again.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  19:54:59  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the clarifications. I already had thought about the Disguise Self, Delwa. I think you're right. You can probably do the same thing with Hallucinatory Terrain. I also think that the main purpose of this ability is to allow the illusionist to respond to events (just like The Masked Mage said) and adapt his/her illusion. For example, if an illusionary orc is hit by an arrow, the illusionist could create an illusionary arrow stuck in the illusionary orc (while the true arrow just pass through it), make it "bleed" and scream with pain and possible avoinding the attacker to disbelief the illusion. While it wouldn't be useful against melee attacks, against ranged attacks and certain spells (fireball for example: "the orc is burned!") it would work. If this is really the how it works, then is not that difficult to disbelieve an illusion cast by a regular mage, because the caster wouldn't be able do make the illusion react properly to certain events and/or actions taken by enemies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000