Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Lands Against the Wall
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yeoldefog
Acolyte

Sweden
2 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  12:27:14  Show Profile Send Yeoldefog a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings!

I have started a sandbox campaign in the Lands Against the Wall, where players can explore and adventure. In my setting, I've put some focus on the colonization aspect of the game, where the players will help to protect and develop the four (fresh) settlements in the region. Their actions will change the way things are developing.

Recently, one of the players - a noble knight - have started to ask questions about the lands, who owns it and how to eventually get control over it.

I suppose it belongs to Silver Marches, but I am aware that other races also could claim the lands (dwarves, giants, orcs). Does the silvermarches have counts/barons? or it it just city states? Can anyone claim lands or how does it work?

Here I provide two maps of the Lands agains the wall. The first one is a player map and the second is a DM map.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/finished-maps/56251d1374314541-lands-against-wall-thelatw.jpg

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/finished-maps/56456d1374997016-lands-against-wall-tlatw_dmmap50.jpg

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  22:45:02  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't how the Silver Marches works, but very cool map!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  14:03:46  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depending on your time line, ie what year you are in, this may be lands claimed by King Obould's newly formed Kingdom. Otherwise it would likely be claimed by various orc tribes, Utgardt tribes. I don't know for use but the "Silver Marches" is a confederation and general land area, NOT a kingdom with all land within it claimed per se, aside from that, Mithril Hall would be the nearest member of the Marches, and then Quarvarr. They appear to function more as city states, though they do not tolerate much within 2 days ride of their cities. I've done something similar in my campaign. Allowing PC's to establish "freeholds" within the greater Silver Marches. I have it more or less function as a loose feudal system. They are free to homestead, but are held responsible by the nearest Marches member for keeping their lands safe against intrusion, monsters etc. And a few other things, ie in times of war Silverymoon may request material assistance and/or use the freehold as a base of operations, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  16:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A rough gist: The silver marches are wilderness all over the place, really. There are a few better developed areas, but in general, there are massive swaths of land where noone lives aside from monsters, goblins and orc tribes. It's an alliance of individual towns and cities, formed for mutual protection, and any feudal system will be limited to those individual places - though aside from the dwarven citadels, who have kings, they're not really big on nobility, which coincides with the illuskan tendency to judge by merit and strength, not by birthright.

As for claiming lands, unless you are directly hostile against the marches... Noone will care about that spot on the river a hundred miles away from everything else. I could imagine that a settlement growing large enough would eventually be approached by traders and diplomats.

If any settlement would wish to join the league, it would likely start out as a protectorate, represented by Alustriel as head of the council. They would have to follow the league's charta - it's not very involved, and leaves a lot of independence - and, depending on individual situation, receive various kinds of support from other members - or of course, is asked to do the same. They'd also have to follow any throne decrees issued, whatever they may be. There are also common decrees to which adherence is optional, such as local tax policy or protocol.

It should be said that the league as such is not necessarily welcoming of new members - larger towns joining as new signatory members get their own vote on the council, whereas smaller protectorate members will likely be more of a drain on resources than a gain. Alustriel might be willing, as would some others, whereas Harbromm of Adbar might not.

Either way - the 3ED Silver Marches sourcebook would be the go-to place for more in-depth knowledge. Could also try and answer specific questions as long as its pertaining to the 3E era.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Yeoldefog
Acolyte

Sweden
2 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  06:35:38  Show Profile Send Yeoldefog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the support guys! So, if I understant you correctly, you suggest it automatically belongs to the Silver Marches / The League like a city state?

My question is... would they assign someone responsible for the four settlements that is some kind of council member or diplomat, or would it more likely be someone, just anyone who have claimed it?

Edited by - Yeoldefog on 26 Sep 2014 06:36:04
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  06:41:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go with the Silver Marches looking at the settlements as hopeful allies that freely join them in trade and mutual defense. If you look at it from the vantage point of early AD&D, the new settlements are essentially "freeholds" that may have been granted permission to set up shop.

I don't see that the Silver Marches would so much tax the settlements as a greater monarch might do...but instead the settlements might give funds to the Silver Marches to help patrol and protect the area.

It is very much open to what you want to happen...I don't see marshal conflict as a possible outcome unless the new settlements cause harm to the established order of things within the Silver Marches' good races.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  06:43:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH! Those maps kick ass!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  11:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According the sourcebook, the signatory members of the league are not really welcoming of new members for various reasons - primarily because a small community will be a draw on resources, and a larger one will be another vote to consider in council, as said. So no - new settlements do not necessarily belong to the league, and the league will not necessarily want it that way, either.

Either works out, really, depending what you decide on the negotiations - or maybe on how you let your players influence them.

As for representation - as a small protectorate, they would be represented by Alustriel herself on the council. As a signatory state - anything above a large town is what the book states I believe, as defined in the DMG - it would send its own representative to the council. If those places do not join and all, there won't be any, though I wouldn't be surprised if envoys travelled in between, here and then.

They certainly would not need the league's permission to settle that area, as such. It's wilderness.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000