Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Farewell (for Now or for Good)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  18:54:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Not particularly pleased with the developments (or lack thereof) concerning the Realms.

So allow me to bid you all farewell. Hopefully, I will just be absent for a long while and be back after the dusts have settled, so to speak. Though I fear that it's very unlikely.

It has been a good four years for me here at the Keep, for the most part.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 07 Sep 2014 18:54:59

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  19:04:47  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad. Fare thee well, wanderer.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  07:30:04  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's very sad Dennis, it always a loss to loose a member of Candlekeep, especialy one so active. I hope that there will be some changes in the Realms, that will motivate you to return...
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  07:39:09  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also was gone for a while, but found my way back. I hope that it is the same for you as well. Best wishes, and best of luck to you.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  10:32:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand how you feel, I wasn't too pleased with a lot of the changes in the realms myself.
I hope to see you here again one day in the future though. Till then best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2014 :  10:39:21  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just returned to see this sad news, here's hoping you return. Farewell and good fortune on your journeys.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  05:33:02  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep an eye on the Realms, so you know whether to return :)

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  13:11:12  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too i'm not pleased at all with 5th edition and i will not use it ...but i will not leave...Farewell to you

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2014 :  13:44:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dont leave, stay and help create alternate material that has the potential to be just as good if not better than published material (or the lack thereof).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  16:55:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I have to say that my take on 5e is rather abysmal but there are too many delving into and creating good lore here for me to leave. My posting has slowed of late but that's for...other...reasons I won't go into. Hope you find your way back Dennis, your posts were always insightful and it's a sad day when we lose someone of your caliber.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2015 :  15:01:17  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck, I haven't been fond of Realms changes for years but it's all good. Things can only get better right??

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  09:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new edition and new people leaving the realms and a new edition to a new generation come...we all will eventual come to that point... and we all have our favorite edition after that...

I stooped with all the nonsense the fourth edition had.. and I think that this edition ruined the realms.. and all the mistakes in the 3,5 books, holy poop and the errata...

Well I miss the second edition stuff.. where things were described in detail and where all things were correct.. you bought a product that were thought through..

Now the forgotten realms has lost its soul.. and become a money machine.....

Mod edit: Language. AGAIN.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Mar 2015 14:58:48
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  15:03:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

A soul can always be resurrected...

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2015 :  01:01:13  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Or reincarnated...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7963 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  06:58:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
Or reincarnated...
Or reanimated!

(By a necro, mwoohaha!)

Just wondering if my old nemesis Dennis still lurks around the keep, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  10:19:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the Members page, his last (signed-in) visit was the same day as his post here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  17:43:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still can't believe that he left before hitting an even 10,000 posts.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  17:52:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i wouldnt blame anybody for departing. The last two editions were enough to put the most ardent fan off.

He did say he would like to come back though. So when 7e rolls around and they decide the 1490s was just a bad nightmare of elminsters drug and age addled brain. Then he can come back and enjoy the good old 1300s.

Should only take 2 to 3 years

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Thoth
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2017 :  12:06:04  Show Profile Send Thoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys crack me up!

T
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2017 :  14:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all here :)

Still sneaking around Candelkeep.. Trying to avoid 4 and 5 edition… it simply burns my eyes…

I haven’t been much around since the start of 4 edition, it hurts my little heart to see the changes Forgotten Realm had to go through.

I have been a faithful follower since the end of 1 edition and seen as many others, the many changes for good and bad… and now as I understand it it’s all dead…
My thoughts go back to the products made back in 1987 – 1988 : Waterdeep and the North - Moonshae - Empires of the Sands - The Magister - The Savage Frontier - Dreams of the Red Wizards. These were product’s I was happy to buy. Highly detailed and a great design that made me feel like living / playing in Forgotten Realms just by reading and looking at the text / pictures. It had and still has what I call “soul” something special that without a doubt was Forgotten Realms.
But as the saying says: All things must die… Forgotten Realms slowly died… and for me the heart stopped at 4 edition.

Some of the last things I wrote back in the days were that the Forgotten Realms had become a sinking pirate ship.. even told it to Ed Greenwood.
So now Forgotten Realms lies on the bottom of the ocean…. I hope that something good is going to come out of it.

For the moderators here.. sorry for my bad spelling and my foul language back in the days and if anything here should offend you…. Sorry #61514;
I can only tell you that I Just had to write what come from the heart…

I will still be lurking around these dark halls… watching in silent and see what comes out of all this..

Yours

Vic..

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

RDS
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2017 :  17:50:46  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you view the 2nd Ed Realms much like today's authors do with RW History, say the Old West, its not that tough. It's not gonna change...the America's went onward with Statehood, industrialization, settlers, Indian-giving...you get the idea. I don't know how many games I started in different places around the same time frame.

Though I did leave the 4E Realms for the most part behind during 4th as we went Pathfinder and had stopped reading the novels but I used the settings and the dates. The same as I had during 3.5. Though a majority of that was playing the Shackled City adventure and shoehorning that down in the Deep South.

But with a two year hiatus on my game due to RW events in my players lives when we started up again last August I moved the game to 1490s, made fun of the WotC mess, and delved my group into the nearly undeveloped Desertsmouth Mountains while I tried to figure out what has happened while I wasn't watching.

I think as a comic book fan I'm used to writers coming in and "putting their stamp" on a character so it didn't really bother me the setting changes. As a DM the mechanic changes get in the way more often.

But I will add this here as a disclamer: I only played a handful of games in 4E and never ran it. My DMing joy got sucked dry by the 3E Item Crafting and PrCs more than anything else which made me want to try Pathfinder which fixed the PrC itch but not the crafting.

RDS
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2018 :  21:51:15  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Dennis,

You know, I've been pulling up old scrolls to reinvigorate conversation with newer folk to D&D in order to expose them to the good ole days (I've been using the Realms since the mid-80's).

Jump back in, engage the youth, and start up conversations on those old scrolls again!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Not particularly pleased with the developments (or lack thereof) concerning the Realms.

So allow me to bid you all farewell. Hopefully, I will just be absent for a long while and be back after the dusts have settled, so to speak. Though I fear that it's very unlikely.

It has been a good four years for me here at the Keep, for the most part.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2018 :  21:54:12  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader dazzlerdal,

I couldn't agree anymore. It will happen. They love puffin' up the numbers making it seem legit and all is good when we know...the Realms have too much of a divide. When the numbers and divide in the community continue forward, they'll have to make a decision. It's rough watching WotC make these decisions, but that is business.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well i wouldnt blame anybody for departing. The last two editions were enough to put the most ardent fan off.

He did say he would like to come back though. So when 7e rolls around and they decide the 1490s was just a bad nightmare of elminsters drug and age addled brain. Then he can come back and enjoy the good old 1300s.

Should only take 2 to 3 years

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2020 :  02:00:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Did Dennis ever return? It's been about (6) years now.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

According to the Members page, his last (signed-in) visit was the same day as his post here.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2020 :  03:16:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Did Dennis ever return? It's been about (6) years now.

Best regards,

Not according to the Members page. If he has looked in, it was either from a different account or while not signed in.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2020 :  04:50:44  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Thank you for letting me know. That is too bad. I know, I get the rage that can overtake a person when things come down the pipe that just make a mess of things. Hopefully he'll return some day.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000