Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragon Turtles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  18:51:20  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there/were there any Wyrms of the North articles on these awesome creatures? Has anybody detailed one of their own? If so, please share.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  21:27:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also very interested in any adventures, mods, whathaveyou featuring these monsters that giveaway more than a line or two. Not simply XP machines, but living, breathing characters

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  21:32:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a scientific term to describe one ''plate, knob, or nodule'' of a turtle's shell? Seems like great materiel for a hero's shield

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  21:44:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a land-dwelling tortoise dragon?

I have long envisioned a fleet-footed long-legged speedy ''hunting'' turtle, about as big as a horse, but I have never attempted to stat out such a creature. A product of yuan-ti engineering, perhaps? Thoughts?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 07 Sep 2014 21:58:47
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  00:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a memorable dragon turtle named Aramag in Ring of Winter by James Lowder if you want a good read.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  00:46:43  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

There was a memorable dragon turtle named Aramag in Ring of Winter by James Lowder if you want a good read.

Excellent advice. Still one of my favorites.

The only other dragon turtle 'characters' I know of are those around Evermeet - mentioned in a couple of Elaine's chapters but not flushed out as full blown characters as such.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  01:03:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall one of the (myriad) short story anthologies had a story featuring a dragon turtle.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  01:31:55  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I seem to recall one of the (myriad) short story anthologies had a story featuring a dragon turtle.

-- George Krashos

The dragon anthology perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  02:34:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

You might be thinking of "An Icy Heart" from Realms of the Dragons, because that's the first reference that came to my mind as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  12:40:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a dragon turtle in the Nelanther.

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/curse-of-irphong/

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  15:14:00  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also Tsenshivah, in/around the Neck of the Dragonmere. (Dragons of Faerun p157)

There might be more lore in the designers' notes regarding Tsenshivah and the Curse of Irphong, but I haven't seen them developed as "living breathing characters."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  16:51:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Is there a scientific term to describe one ''plate, knob, or nodule'' of a turtle's shell? Seems like great materiel for a hero's shield

From wikipedia
quote:
The turtle shell is made up of numerous bony elements, generally named after similar bones in other vertebrates, and a series of keratinous scutes which are also uniquely named. The top of the shell is known as the carapace, and the ventral surface is called the plastron.[1][2] These are joined by an area called the bridge. The actual suture between the bridge and the plastron is called the anterior bridge strut.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  19:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh another one just popped into my head. There was an adventure in the 3.5 supplement known as Stormwrack that featured a dragon turtle as well...

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  21:16:31  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for everything thus far, honored Scibes. Anything else anybody can think of?

Rereading Ring of Winter now. Been a good ten years.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Sep 2014 21:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  00:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you figured out Aramag's secret identity yet? It's all in a name.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  00:24:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:

Have you figured out Aramag's secret identity yet? It's all in a name.

Huh, never noticed that before.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  02:00:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did I miss?
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  02:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

What did I miss?

This is a spoiler for anyone who wants to continue to guess.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  03:33:47  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tweaked the spelling so it wasn't dead on, but, yes, it was a intentional nod. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  06:28:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's funny - I'd never seen that before. Good catch.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  18:51:42  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder

I tweaked the spelling so it wasn't dead on, but, yes, it was a intentional nod. :)

Still my favorite Realms novel. If they revisit Ras Nsi and Eshowdow in 5e you will see one happy Seethyr.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000