Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 List of books to read before the Sundering
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stumpfindr
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  15:22:39  Show Profile Send stumpfindr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If any one has ever wondered what books to read before the Sundering Series, here it is.

The Companions - by R. A. Salvatore
Read:
The Legend of Drizzt
- Homeland
- Exile
- Sojourn
- The Crystal Shard
- Streams of Silver
- The Halfling's Gem
- The Legacy
- Starless Night
- Siege of Darkness
- Passage to Dawn
- The Silent Blade
- The Spine of the World
- Sea of Swords

The Hunters Blades Trilogy
- The Thousand Orcs
- The Lone Drow
- The Two Swords

Transitions
- The Orc King
- The Pirate King
- The Ghost King

The Neverwinter Saga
- Gauntlgrym
- Neverwinter
- Charon's Claw
- The Last Threshold

The Godborn - by Paul S. Kemp
Read:
Sembia: Gateway to the Realms
- The Halls of Stormweather
- Shadows Witness

The Erevis Cale Trilogy
- Twilight Falling
- Dawn of Night
- Midnight's Mask

The Twilight War
- Shadowbred
- Shadowstorm
- Shadowrealm

The Adversary - by Erin M. Evins
Read:
- Brimstone Angels: A Neverwinter Novel
- Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils

The Reaver - by Richard Lee Byers

The Sentinel - by Troy Denning
Read:
The Avatar Series
- Shadowdale
- Tantras
- Waterdeep
- Prince of Lies
- Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad

Return of the Archwizards
- The Summoning
- The Siege
- The Sorcerer

The Herald - by Ed Greenwood
Read:
The Elminster Series
- Elminster: The Making of a Mage
- Elminster in Myth Drannor
- The Temptation of Elminster
- Elminster in Hell
- Elminsters Daughter

The Sage of Shadowdale
- Elminster Must Die!
- Bury Elminster Deep
- Elminster Enraged

I haven't included any short stories, The Shadow of the Avatar trilogy by Ed Greenwood, or The Cleric Quintet and The Sellswords Trilogy By R. A. Salvatore. But if you want a concrete background of each novel in the Sundering, this is what I recomend. If anyone feels that I've left any books out please let me know!

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  13:59:24  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow thats pretty comprehensive. IMO however I dont think you need to read really old books like the Elminster series. If you have read some 4e novels and have a basic knowledge about the realms you can jump right in.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  14:07:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made it thru the first four Sundering books without having read any of the 4E novels (save for two, which were unrelated).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  18:27:35  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sentinel doesn't really require the reading of any of Troy Denning's previous books as it's pretty much self-contained.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

stumpfindr
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  21:36:56  Show Profile Send stumpfindr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's partially true. I haven't read the Sentinal yet, but I do know that Malik el Sami yn Nasser is one of the main characters, and he makes an apperence in Prince of Lies, Crucible, and The Return of the Archwizards trilogy. As far as I know the only book without characters in previous books is The Reaver.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  23:10:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stumpfindr

That's partially true. I haven't read the Sentinal yet, but I do know that Malik el Sami yn Nasser is one of the main characters, and he makes an apperence in Prince of Lies, Crucible, and The Return of the Archwizards trilogy. As far as I know the only book without characters in previous books is The Reaver.

Stedd is referenced in the previous book, though.

...Which I thought was kinda weird. It felt almost like the prior references were added in as an afterthought, to create some sort of continuity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  03:37:09  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stumpfindr

Just because Malik appears in previous books by Troy Denning doesn't mean that you need to read them to understand what happens in The Sentinel. Far from it actually.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  14:24:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Godborn I feel that if have read the Twilight war trilogy that should be quiet enough fro you to be able to really enjoy reading it.
Go to Top of Page

stumpfindr
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  16:41:38  Show Profile Send stumpfindr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made this list of books based on this picture:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:The_Sundering_Series.jpg
As far as I know every character in the pic is represented in the list of books. But I STILL don't know who the woman in purple standing to the left of Drizzt is. I think it's Cattie-Brie but I could be wrong. Does anybody know?
Go to Top of Page

Jdgate
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  21:59:14  Show Profile Send Jdgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for making the list. I had been searching everywhere for a good starting point to jump in before reading the sundering books to get some back history. I have read all the Drizzt books and thought maybe it was time to expand into the rest of the realms (was mainly a Dragonlance reader before discovering Drizzt).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000