Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Realm Maps (for older landmarks)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dudka
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  20:41:20  Show Profile Send Dudka a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone,

So, I just started Evermeet. I've read about 40 books and when I looked at the timeline the majority of them fall around 1315 DR to 1375 DR... which help when it comes to looking at a map.

Evermeet is great so far but I find it hard to try and find where the older cities and areas are located because it sounds like they no longer exist (i.e. Atorrnash). Is there any maps listed by date besides what is in the novel I am reading?

Also, was Evermeet in a different plane or was it an island literally near what I currently know as Faerun? Sorry for the ridiculous question but from what I've read it sounds like the elves have been transported via magic to Faerun (area near the High Forest)? I'm about 100 pages in so it might be premature to ask these questions.

Thank you!

Dudka
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  20:51:05  Show Profile Send Dudka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did find a topic very similar (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19383) which has a link to the Sword Coast (-11,000 DR). Helps, but I'm still looking for maybe a larger map.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  22:55:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dudka. The book you are reading is a story of the Genesis of the Elven people. The parts you are talking about occur literally THOUSANDS (about 26) of years in the past. For more accurate information on dates I recommend looking through Brian R James' 'A Grand History Of The Forgotten Realms.'

This source can give you dates as well as some maps that show what you are missing now. I can answer your direct questions, however:

Atorrnash no longer exists. It was destroyed as a side effect to some High Magic, and fell into the bay so beautifully described earlier in the book. Kind of poetic justice for the tormented souls, no?

Faerie from the first story was a different plane - and the elf's desperate spell brought them into Faerun.

Once created, Evermeet is wholly in the Realms - out across the great sea to the west - hidden from all but the elves. You'll read more about that in the book, btw. If you're a 4th Ed. person, Evermeet was part of the big Realms changes so who knows in 5th Ed.

Sharlarion is near or in the High Forest.

To my knowledge there are no other very detailed maps of the ancient realms. 'Lost Empires of Faerun' has some old maps - but not nearly as old as you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Dudka
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  23:49:38  Show Profile Send Dudka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Dudka. The book you are reading is a story of the Genesis of the Elven people. The parts you are talking about occur literally THOUSANDS (about 26) of years in the past. For more accurate information on dates I recommend looking through Brian R James' 'A Grand History Of The Forgotten Realms.'

This source can give you dates as well as some maps that show what you are missing now. I can answer your direct questions, however:

Atorrnash no longer exists. It was destroyed as a side effect to some High Magic, and fell into the bay so beautifully described earlier in the book. Kind of poetic justice for the tormented souls, no?

Faerie from the first story was a different plane - and the elf's desperate spell brought them into Faerun.

Once created, Evermeet is wholly in the Realms - out across the great sea to the west - hidden from all but the elves. You'll read more about that in the book, btw. If you're a 4th Ed. person, Evermeet was part of the big Realms changes so who knows in 5th Ed.

Sharlarion is near or in the High Forest.

To my knowledge there are no other very detailed maps of the ancient realms. 'Lost Empires of Faerun' has some old maps - but not nearly as old as you are looking for.

So, is/was Evermeet in Faerie or was it always part of Faerun? I'm sorry but I don't follow the rule set; more of just an avid reader of the books. But, I do have an appreciation how the book offer options for players, etc.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  01:12:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet is a bit of Faerun judiciously sprinkled with lashings of Arvandor. It has nothing other than potential portal connections to Faerie.

Evermeet was brought into being by a High Magic Ritual which created an elven-attuned and tailored haven for them in Faerun.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dudka
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  01:45:43  Show Profile Send Dudka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Evermeet is a bit of Faerun judiciously sprinkled with lashings of Arvandor. It has nothing other than potential portal connections to Faerie.

Evermeet was brought into being by a High Magic Ritual which created an elven-attuned and tailored haven for them in Faerun.

-- George Krashos

Gotcha. I kind of am learning more as I read but I want to double check. The elves lived in Faerie (another plane)... had to flee magically to Faerun and then created Evermeet (their haven) with the use of this high magic ritual. How's that sound?

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  03:33:33  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost right. Say instead SOME elves. There were many there already when that bunch arrived, including the dark elves (like those in Atorrnash), the winged avariel, the lythari (wolf-elf shapechangers), and the wood/green elves. If memory serves, these are all mentioned at least once in the pages you've read so far.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  05:31:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a long time since I read it, but I don't recall any mentions of the lythari in Evermeet.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  17:54:54  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were mentioned just once... Durothil "lost time" so to speak after being knocked unconscious but had memories of the lythari:

"The wheel of the seasons turned many times before the young prince was at last restored to his people."

"There was also the matter of his own lost years. Durothil understood the Moon elf's fancies far better than he liked. He never saw Sharlario's guardian avariel, but throughout the seasons that followed, Durothil often caught fleeting glimpses of silvery wolves, unnaturally large in size, following him through the forest like elusive shadows. And for all the years of his life, his revery was haunted by the night song of wolves, and vague memories of the kindliness of the shapeshifting elves who called themselves the lythari."

That's the whole of the lythari in the book; though this does give rise to the interesting possibility that there are scions of Durothil and a lythari female out there, just as it MIGHT be possible that there are Moonflower avariel. Its a stretch, I grant you, but not outside of the REALMS :P of possibility.

Go to Top of Page

Dudka
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  18:03:53  Show Profile Send Dudka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I try to piece together a timeline with the Evermeet book and the wiki, does this sound correct...

Some elves leave Faerie for Faerun around -24500DR. But, in -24800DR Durothil makes the deal with the Red Dragon (egg for Sharlario)? How is the Durothil deal before coming to Faerun? Am I looking at the timeline wrong?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  01:35:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about where those dates are from. It would be the other way. Durothil's deal would be after the elves arrive in Faerun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000