Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Older novels as ebooks, quality?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  00:21:44  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm curious if anyone has bought any of the older Realms novels the were originally released before ebooks started to take off?

Books like Elfshadow and Shadowdale (Avatar series) to even more recently books that just missed the kindle boom like The Rage and Sacrifice of the Widow.

The reason I ask is I'm wondering how good the formatting and layout of these older books are in ebook form. Does it feel like I'm reading a "new" book where the logos and chapter headers are done up or is it a plain text affair that didn't have much done to it?

I look at some of my older books and wonder if I should buy replacements for them while they're still easier to find because I know given the state of WOTC publishing they'll never see reprint or if I should just get them in ebook format. I just don't want to waste money on ebooks that minimal effort was put into.. if that makes any sense.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 02 Sep 2014 00:25:24

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  00:44:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many are, as you fear - minimal effort books. My biggest pet peeve is when they are missing the map from the book or the little icons at the chapter beginnings. This is common.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  00:53:42  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Many are, as you fear - minimal effort books. My biggest pet peeve is when they are missing the map from the book or the little icons at the chapter beginnings. This is common.

Even the modern books are missing maps, I know I didn't get a Sundering ebook with a map in it, had to edit the file myself to include it.

That's really sad to hear they're minimal effort. I take it the books that see reprints (like Drizzt) have proper ebooks since they had to format the new print editions?

Edited by - SirUrza on 02 Sep 2014 00:54:49
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  01:30:36  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several of the e-books of the Songs and Swords series (the first 4 I think) had serious issues with missing punctuantion. Hopefully they corrected the files in the mean time.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  02:21:30  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Several of the e-books of the Songs and Swords series (the first 4 I think) had serious issues with missing punctuantion. Hopefully they corrected the files in the mean time.

That's not good at all. :(

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000