Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "Answered Prayers"--Liriel's tale, continued
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  20:20:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here's the foreword from the anthology introduction:

Probably the most frequent question in emails from readers is, "Will there be another Liriel story?" Windwalker concluded the story I wanted to tell in the Starlight & Shadows trilogy and brought certain themes and threads to the intended conclusions, but many readers still want to know What Happens Next. This story is for them.

It takes place nearly ten years after the final battle in Windwalker, and it gets readers pretty much caught up with what's been going on in Liriel's life: the adventures, the companions, the accomplishments-and the temptations. There will always be temptations, because whatever happens in Liriel's life, whatever else she might become, she will always be a drow.

ANSWERED PRAYERS

The port city of Hlammach had no shortage of taverns, but not many of them would willingly serve a drow. Liriel Baenre and her two companions had spent the better part of the evening working their way down Tavern Row before finding a table at a noisy dockside shanty.

It was a good table, right by the front window and, Liriel noted cynically, in full view of the passing sailors. Many did not pass at all, but stopped to stare at the unusual feminine trio on display: an ebony-skinned drow, a golden star elf, and a tall, lithe beauty who, except for the feral light in her amber eyes, appeared to be a moon elf.

Liriel had to admit this was a worthy ploy on the proprietor's part. She and her friends were window dressing-exotic bait for passing clients. Elves of any sort were not common in Impiltur, and three strikingly different elf women were certain to catch the eye. Several human wenches sprawled invitingly on a nearby couch, ready to offer alternatives when patrons learned the elves were not for rent.

A burst of raucous laughter rose from a nearby table, where a trio of drunken merchants obligingly displayed their wares to a saucy-looking light-skirt.

Sharlarra Vendreth rolled her eyes. "A thief, a cleric of Mystra, and a champion of Eilistraee walk into a brothel. Stop me if you've heard this one."

"Not that old jest," Liriel said dryly. She glanced at the third elf. "You haven't touched your ale, Thorn, after all your complaints about being thirsty enough to drink seawater."

Thorn tasted her ale, grimaced, and put the mug down. "Bilge water is more like. And by the Dark Maiden, Sharlarra, keep your voice down! I know wolves whose howls don't carry as well."

"She has a point," Liriel told the star elf. "You're not a thief in Impiltur, you're a swordpoint. Best keep it that way."

Sharlarra plucked at the sea-blue tabard that proclaimed her status: a hired blade working for the Impiltur military. One slim finger traced the three interlocking rings, the symbol of the Council of Lords that ruled the country in Queen Sambryl's name. The device was stitched in extravagant silver threads, the better to honor the three gods-Tyr, Torm, and Ilmater-most revered in Impiltur.

"If it wasn't for the recommendation you brought from Rashemen, the council wouldn't have approved any of us. So why are Thorn and I the only ones wearing the three rings?"

Liriel pushed up the sleeve of her shirt and pointedly displayed her black forearm. "Drow? Remember that little detail? When the good folk of Hlammach see two sword-points walking a dark elf down the street, they assume you and Thorn have a bad situation under control. But if all three of us were wearing the council's colors-"

"They'd probably think the tabards were stolen," Sharlarra concluded. "That didn't occur to me."

Such thoughts always occurred to Liriel. Even now, long years gone from her native Menzoberranzan, she still thought as a drow: no path ran straight, no question was simple, no plan held a single purpose. In her homeland, "devious" was high praise. She'd been raised on deceit and betrayal, trained to see layers within layers. A drow who did not see many possibilities in any situation was unlikely to survive long.

With such training, suspicion came easily. Friendship was much harder. Until she'd left the Underdark, the closest Liriel had come to having a true friend was her alliance with an insane, two-headed deep dragon. Since then, she'd been fortunate indeed. For several years now, she'd been running from adventure to adventure with Thorn and Sharlarra. And before that-

"Finally, here comes our food." Thorn nodded toward the serving wench, who was currently struggling her way through a gauntlet of grasping hands, a well-laden tray held high overhead and a bright, determined smile firmly fixed on her face.

The servant set out surprisingly appetizing fare: thick seafood stew served in hollowed-out round loaves, a platter of pungent cheeses, and bowls of sugared berries.

Thorn regarded her streaming trencher with approval. "I smell a joint of mutton roasting. Bring me a thick slice of that, as well."

The wench blew a curly brown lock off her face and shook her head. "Cook just put it on the fire. It'll be some while before it's ready."

Thorn turned a cool, amber stare toward the servant. "Is the fleece still attached to the mutton?"

The girl blinked. "N-no. Of course not."

"Then it's ready."

Liriel chuckled at the expression on the servant's face, and the speed with which she beat a retreat to the kitchen. Thorn's appetite was prodigious and not entirely civilized. Small wonder, considering that she spent much of her time running about on four legs.

And speaking of appetites, Sharlarra was not far behind, albeit in other matters. The star elf was surveying the other patrons with interest, boldly meeting their accessing stares with a friendly, open smile-not quite invitation, but not far from it, either.

Liriel didn't fault Sharlarra for her fun-loving nature, for she understood it well. Her years in the Underdark had been brightened by many a handsome drow playmate. Mutual prejudice made alliance with a surface elf unlikely, but from time to time, a human man caught her eye. Even so, there had been no one for her since Fyodor of Rashemen. Sometimes she wondered if there ever could be.

Her hand went to the symbol of Mystra hanging over her heart. Shortly after Fyodor's death, Liriel had found her true calling. Magic had always been her passion, but she felt the call of a cleric's path, as well. When she learned of Mystra, Lady of Magic and Mysteries, everything fell into place. Liriel's dedication to the goddess of magic had been as single-minded and her ambition as great as any priestess of Lolth. She pursued the goddess's favor and sought power with a focus and fervor that would have had her grandmother, the dreaded Matron Baenre, nodding in approval. But only recently had Liriel recognized the reason driving her rapid rise in Mystra's service:

Powerful clerics could resurrect the dead.

Thorn broke the drow's reverie by swatting Sharlarra on the shoulder. "No courtship behavior, not here," she warned her. "We eat, we leave. That was the agreement."

"Too late." The star elf tipped her golden head toward the man swaggering over to their table.

Sharlarra's would-be suitor was a large man, too young for his girth. He had the slightly melted look some big-muscled adventurers get when days of hard riding give way to long nights devoted to dice and drink. Even so, his confident smirk bespoke a comfortable opinion of himself, and his garments and gear were flamboyant in the extreme. Huge roc plumes dyed a vivid purple swept down from the brim of an indigo blue hat. His tunic and breeches encompassed the color spectrum with multiple stripes in blues, greens, yellows, and oranges-a progression that ended with the brilliant red of his dragonhide boots. He was, in short, a walking rainbow, the sort of silly fop most people dismissed with a smirk and a shrug.

Liriel took this in with a glance before her eyes went to the man's weapons. They were decorative, yes, but the sword on his hip was well maintained and the grip showed the wear of frequent use. He had other weapons, too; daggers and knives which he probably thought were cleverly hidden, including a pair of daggers tucked into his oversized boot cuffs. His coin purse was heavy, and the red riding whip tucked into his belt matched the harness on the fine black stallion tied to the post outside. Liriel glanced at the table he'd just left, noting the half dozen men seated there. They, unlike the walking rainbow, made no pretense of being anything but what they were: well-seasoned fighters. And hunters, too, judging from the full quivers under their seats and the longbows propped against the wall. All of them wore belts of bright red dragon hide-a livery of sorts, proclaiming their hired allegiance.

Wonderful, Liriel thought glumly. The fool could fight, and he had men to back him up.
And then he surprised her by ignoring Sharlarra and walking directly over to Thorn.

"I know what you are," he said bluntly. "You might be able to hoodwink everyone else, but I know a lythari when I see one."

Thorn shrugged. "Then you are not quite the fool you appear to be."

"This is a most fortuitous meeting, if not without irony," he went on, ignoring her insult. "I am hunting exotic wolf pelts for my trophy hall, and rumors of werewolves in the Gray Forest brought me to Impiltur. But none would take me into those woods, so I settled for hunting of a different sort in a dockside brothel. And here we both are."

The lythari woman looked him up and down. Her lip curled. "Are you even allowed to mate?"

He fell back a step, brow furrowed in puzzlement. "Allowed? Whatever are you talking about?"

Thorn shook her head in disgust and turned back to her companions. "I keep forgetting that humans don't follow pack law. Among my people, the right to breed is earned."

"Or bought?" he wheedled, holding up a large gold coin.

Thorn scoffed. "No self-respecting bitch would lift her tail for the likes of you, not for all the coins in Impiltur."

The man's pleasant expression never faltered. "Then it's back to blood sport. No matter-it's all hunting, and all the same to me. At the moment, I alone know your true nature. But at a word from me, six hunters start competing for the bounty your wolf's hide will bring them."

"A word from me," Liriel said in equally pleasant tones, "and six hunters will be hit by a fireball big enough to leave nothing but a stinking grease spot on the tavern floor."

Finally the man's facade slipped, and he cast a slyly malevolent glance in Liriel's direction. "If you cast killing magic, drow, you will never leave the city alive. But of course, you know this full well."

And so she did. Her acceptance in Impiltur was a tenuous thing, despite the valuable services she provided. Her familiarity with the deep ways made her an asset to the bands of Warswords who patrolled the tunnels under the Earthspurs. The recent discovery of a temple of Laduguer, the evil god of the duegar, raised the possibility of trade with gray dwarf settlements. Liriel's ability to speak Undercommon was in great demand among enterprising merchants. Even so, the officials of Impiltur made it clear that she would be closely scrutinized. She would be permitted to use healing spells and other beneficial clerical magic, but no "drowlike" behavior would be tolerated.

And that, Liriel noted, was a conundrum. If ever a man merited the full attention of her darker nature, it was this smirking fool.

Well, a drow had other weapons than magic and steel, and not the least of them was reputation. Drow females learned certain skills along with word-weaning: how to wrap knife-bladed sarcasm in silky words, how to project malice and evil as naturally as oil lamps cast light, how to promise death without drawing a weapon.

Liriel willed a malevolent gleam into her eyes and curved her lips into a cold, cruel smile.

"You seem well versed in Impiltur law," she said in a clear, ringing voice. "You don't look like much of a hunter, but the council might hire you as a clerk or scribe."

The man's smirk faded away. "I'll have you know that these boots are a trophy."

"A red dragon. Impressive," Liriel purred. "Tell me, did you kill the roc, as well? Or did one obligingly molt a few feathers in your general direction?"

By now the tavern had grown dangerously quiet, and the wary expressions on the patrons' faces indicated that their pleasantly dark fantasies concerning Liriel had given way to even darker thoughts-stories they'd heard told of the drow.

The proprietor hurried over to the table, all but wringing his hands in dismay. "I want no trouble here."

"Who does?" Thorn replied coolly. She glanced at Liriel, taking in the slim black fingers curved around the clerical emblem. She tapped Liriel's boot with her foot. The drow responded with a thin, wicked smile. Thorn sealed their unspoken agreement with a nod and turned back to the tavern keeper.

"I paid for this meal, and I intend to finish it. After, this man and I can settle our differences outside."

The fop's smirk returned, and his sword hand closed around the hilt of his weapon. "A duel is yet another kind of hunt. Your terms are quite acceptable. I await your pleasure." He gave the lythari a mocking little bow and walked back to his table.

Sharlarra's worried gaze went from Liriel to Thorn. "You're planning something. Do I want to know what it is?"

The lythari ignored her. "How long do you need to work your spell, crow?"

"No more than a quarter bell." Liriel glanced toward the moon. The fat crescent had already begun its descent, and appeared to be in danger of impaling itself upon the mast of a large ship. That was good fortune-the ship would serve as a reference point and help her chart time's passage. Thorn didn't need such aids, but Liriel had yet to master the art of measuring time by the movement of the moon and stars.

By the time Thorn polished off the last crumb of her bread bowl and devoured a slab of very rare mutton, the moon was almost touching the ship's boom. Liriel figured this delay was due to design as well as hunger; by the time Thorn had finished feeding, the streets were nearly deserted.

Finally Thorn rose to leave. The garishly clad hunter almost beat her to the door in his eagerness.

They strode to the middle of the street, faced each other, and drew swords. The first clash echoed down the nearly empty street. Steel hissed as the blades slid apart, then sang out three quick, ringing notes.

The opponents circled each other, testing with short feints, quick lunges and deft parries. They were much the same height, so neither had the advantage of reach. Thorn was faster, the human was stronger. The two appeared well matched, and certainly presented a vivid contrast. Thorn had removed her sea-blue tabard to signify that this fight was not of an official nature, so there remained little color about her. Thorn preferred to dress in unrelieved black, for that was the color of her pelt in wolf form. Long black hair framed her pale face, unbound but for the single streak of white-the mark of Eilistraee's favor-woven into a thin braid.

By now most of the patrons and quite a few of the wenches were crowded around the window, watching the battle on the street beyond. Sharlarra leaned close to Liriel.

"Shouldn't we go out there?"

The drow shook her head and continued her silent prayer. She was right where she needed to be-surrounded by people who expected a drow to attack by sword or spell. They would see no gesture, hear no word.

Now, if only Mystra would hear…

The warmth of the Lady's presence stole into Liriel's heart, and she knew her prayer had been answered.

A faintly glowing red mist rose from the dirty cobbles. Similar tendrils of mist wafted from the tavern and out the open window, merging with the expanding red cloud.

The murmur of wagers and jests surrounding Liriel gave way to heavy silence. She rose and pushed her way over to the window to watch the answer to her prayer unfold.

The mist began to swirl as if in agitation. Then, almost too quickly for the eye to follow, it took on an unmistakable form. The rainbow-garbed fighter fell away from the still-misty shape of a young red dragon, and he stumbled over the rough cobbles on feet that were suddenly, inexplicably bare.

In the blink of an eye, the mist disappeared. The now-solid creature shook its horned head. A shudder passed down its massive form, making it look oddly like a dog shaking off water. Its eyes focused and took in the grim street, the sleeping harbor beyond. Then it roared, and the brothel patrons dived for cover under tables. Sharlarra sensibly followed suit, leaving Liriel standing alone at the open window.

Most of the revelers heard a dragon's roar and didn't think to inquire further, but Liriel, her mind still opened to the goddess, heard something more: a keening lament for whatever celestial world the creature had been forced to forsake.

For a moment memory burned bright, and Liriel experienced anew the peace and homecoming she'd glimpsed when she had eased Fyodor's spirit into the afterlife.
Tears filled her eyes, and shame her heart. How could she consider, even for a moment, disrupting such bliss?

The resurrected dragon readjusted to life with surprising speed. Its wings snapped open, lifting it from the ground for a short, quick strike. Fanged jaws snatched up the astonished hunter. The dragon wheeled, hopped onto the roof of the low, stone warehouse across the street, and leaped into the sky. It winged off, and for a moment the outline of a dragon and its still-living prey, bare feet kicking wildly, was silhouetted against the setting moon.
The six hunters made a sudden rush for the stables. They mounted their horses and took off in pursuit, loudly promising rescue or vengeance.

Sharlarra was the next to respond. She darted out of the tavern and down a narrow alley. Liriel and Thorn fell in behind, knowing from long experience the star elf's knack for evading pursuers.

They ran until they were certain there would be no pursuit. By then the pre-dawn bustle had begun, and the streets quickly filled with wagons carrying goods to market.

Morning in any city started much the same. Chimneys coughed smoke as hearth fires kindled. The smell of baking bread wafted from a large community oven. Tavern doors began to swing open, and street vendors trundled their carts along the cobblestone. Liriel turned resignedly to Thorn, expecting that the lythari would be ready for her morning meal.

She found her friend regarding her with somber compassion. "So you can do it."

The emphasis was pointed, holding a meaning Liriel could not quite grasp. She made a circular gesture with one hand, inviting further comment.

"Resurrection is a powerful spell, but it always seemed pointless to me. A sentient being restored to life is likely to seek justice by killing his murderer, who is avenged in turn. Death follows death, and so the cycle continues."

"If resurrected people truly wanted to seek justice," Liriel said softly, "they would leave their killers alone and slay instead the people who brought them back."

The lythari nodded. "That is not quite what I meant, but it is truth nonetheless."

Sharlarra, who had been listening to this exchange with uncharacteristic gravity, let out a soft murmur of enlightenment.

"So I guess you got the answer to your prayer," she observed. "And I'm not talking about resurrecting a dragon using dragonhide boots as the required body part. I love the way you think, by the way."

Liriel sent her a quizzical look. "So what are you talking about?"

"It might take me a while to figure out what's going on, but I catch up eventually. We won't be going to Rashemen to visit the resting place of a certain warrior any time soon."

"No." The drow's tone did not invite further discussion.

Sharlarra smile held both sympathy and admiration. "I try to avoid religion whenever possible, but it seems to me most people pray for things to happen without stopping to consider whether or not they should happen. Mystra knew what was in your heart, and answered both questions at once."

"Another truth," Thorn observed, sounding slightly surprised. "Have you any other wisdom to impart?"

The star elf responded with a wink and a smile. "Of course, but you might not see it as such. I think we should leave the city for a few days to do some hunting. I could use a good run, and besides, the taverns here overcook their meat something dreadful."

Thorn responded to the teasing with a derisive sniff, but her eyes brightened at the prospect. "You couldn't run down a sleeping rabbit."

A smile stole across Liriel's face as she listened to her friends' familiar banter. Theirs was a strange sisterhood, perhaps, but it eased the sadness that never quite seemed to go away.

As they walked, Liriel pondered what Sharlarra had said. What if the star elf's whimsical words held truth? What if the gods listened to unspoken prayers? Did they care to know what was hidden in the hearts of their followers? Could they know?

Improbable as it sounded, it would seem so. The life Liriel had known over the past ten years was beyond anything an Underdark drow could have imagined. How could she have prayed for friendship and love, when she understood neither? Perhaps Mystra knew what she most desired, and started to answer these prayers before they took form.

Liriel was profoundly grateful for this, but the thought also left her uneasy. There was much darkness in her soul, and prayers that were best left unspoken and unanswered.

"Lady of Mystery," she whispered, "I will love you as well and serve you as faithfully as any priestess alive. In return, I only ask that you never forget, even for a moment, that I am a drow."

THE END

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 10 Sep 2014 16:35:47

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  20:47:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine, if you are trying to make a statement and it is that you belong in the Realms, you have done so with emphatic panache. Bravo.

I try to avoid the inflammatory threads and general edition bashing, but it is a darker place without your contributions.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 31 Aug 2014 21:16:07
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  21:23:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

it is a darker place without your contributions.

QFT.

I saw you talking about changing some parts of this story in another thread, but if there is any significant difference, it's escaping me.
Granted, it has been a long time since I last read this, so I was wondering if I missed something.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 31 Aug 2014 21:24:12
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  22:13:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Irennan ((Well the only difference I see is that Liriel after renouncing Lolth, adopted Eilistraee as Patron deity, however did not atone so remained a fallen Cleric. Clearly here Liriel did become a priestess of Mystra, which of course would mean she attoned for having been a priestess of Lolth.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  22:48:10  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but in the original version of this short story (included in the anthology ''The best of the Realms - E.C.''), Liriel chose Mystra over Eilistraee and was a cleric of the Lady of Mysteries too, so I can't find differences. Maybe Elaine was satisfied with the story after re-reading it and opted to not change anything.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  00:43:05  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elaine! This is very, very cool of you.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  01:10:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

it is a darker place without your contributions.

QFT.

I saw you talking about changing some parts of this story in another thread, but if there is any significant difference, it's escaping me.
Granted, it has been a long time since I last read this, so I was wondering if I missed something.

Actually, I posted it pretty much as-is. Oddly enough, I got TWO Google Alerts last week for a Turkish site that had posted the text of the entire anthology. It was so easy to cut and paste this that I decided to go ahead. Besides, it seems rather silly to spend time revising something that has ALREADY BEEN PUBLISHED. Better to spend that time writing new stuff.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  01:53:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Elaine, if you are trying to make a statement and it is that you belong in the Realms...

This is a reasonable assumption on your part, but truth be told, I'm not trying to make any sort of statement.

Here's the story. It's prosaic and boring, but on the plus side, it's short!

Recently I've been doing a lot of non-fiction writing and trying to get the hang of writing for the web, which, let me tell you, is a very different animal from fantasy adventure fiction. Two-three weeks back, I got curious about a possible crossover effect, so I pulled out an unfinished manuscript.

Out came the red pencil. Adverbs were excised, darlings were slain, backstory was pruned. My love affair with 19th century literature has been a strong influence on my writing style, which trends towards long and occasionally convoluted sentences, a languid pace to the syntax, an over-fondness for the sound and shape of language, and a tendency to play with words rather than getting on with the story. Examples of these traits were ruthlessly pruned and the writing style dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

I was pleased with the result and, on impulse, decided to share it. That was the initial "birthday gift" post. Since I was also pretty happy with Chapter 3, I did a quick red pencil pass and posted that a couple of days later.

The (unfinished) manuscript was about 70K words long when it was abandoned, but it would have to be reworked from Chapter 3 on. So that's all I'll be posting.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  20:24:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elaine. I like the in-depth introspection into whether you "should" bring someone back. It also makes me think... we have a country song today that's something like "if we could go to heaven and visit Grandpa". I just wonder, has any cleric ever advanced himself for just this purpose (not to resurrect his dad, but rather to transport himself to the outer planes so that he could visit his father). I know its probably somewhere in the Planescape products, but just how much does a soul recall of its life before becoming a petitioner? Of course, this is entirely different whenever your soul doesn't go onto an outer-planar afterlife, as is the case of a person becoming a telthor (and thus his spirit becomes bound to Toril). In fact, it does kind of beg the question.... can you resurrect a telthor, or do the rules possibly not apply to them as a special situation (similar to how it used to be written that elves couldn't be raised)?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  02:51:11  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember this story :)

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  13:18:02  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Thanks Elaine. I like the in-depth introspection into whether you "should" bring someone back. It also makes me think... we have a country song today that's something like "if we could go to heaven and visit Grandpa". I just wonder, has any cleric ever advanced himself for just this purpose (not to resurrect his dad, but rather to transport himself to the outer planes so that he could visit his father). I know its probably somewhere in the Planescape products, but just how much does a soul recall of its life before becoming a petitioner? Of course, this is entirely different whenever your soul doesn't go onto an outer-planar afterlife, as is the case of a person becoming a telthor (and thus his spirit becomes bound to Toril). In fact, it does kind of beg the question.... can you resurrect a telthor, or do the rules possibly not apply to them as a special situation (similar to how it used to be written that elves couldn't be raised)?

If memory serves, it wasn't that elves COULDN'T be raised, but rather a strong cultural taboo among elves against disturbing the afterlife. Could be wrong..

As for the rest of the life-after-death issues you raised, I'm not sure how FR canon would handle those issues.

Have you read the book What Dreams May Come, or watched the movie (same name) based on it? (Starring Robin Williams.) The notion of various levels of heaven/hell/other, and the difficulty--and occasionally heartbreak--that occurs when you try to connect with loved ones who are on different levels, offers many intriguing storytelling possibilities.

Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  16:03:45  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had a chance to read this story until now. Thank you for posting it. I am wondering though, if you ever get a chance to write in the Forgotten Realms, how did the spell-plague effect Liriel since she is a cleric of Mystra?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  23:14:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

If memory serves, it wasn't that elves COULDN'T be raised, but rather a strong cultural taboo among elves against disturbing the afterlife. Could be wrong..

As for the rest of the life-after-death issues you raised, I'm not sure how FR canon would handle those issues.

Have you read the book What Dreams May Come, or watched the movie (same name) based on it? (Starring Robin Williams.) The notion of various levels of heaven/hell/other, and the difficulty--and occasionally heartbreak--that occurs when you try to connect with loved ones who are on different levels, offers many intriguing storytelling possibilities.

I do recall watching the movie, but I'm betting the book would be more intriguing. That is a good reference point though.

As an aside, your reference of seeking a loved one at "different levels" reminds me of my own character's story now that I think about it (in that at one point, he tries to break the rules of time travel by having someone rescue his wife in the past, while making his young self think she still died so that his past wouldn't change.... it didn't work out for him because in the future he'd never thought about the fact that he'd made so many enemies that he couldn't protect her... so he ended up having Elminster spirit her away and promise to never tell him where he'd sent her). Classic Sleyvas, he thinks magic can fix everything because he can reason through the technical aspects, and his analytical mind doesn't see the moral/ethical/heartwrenching issues that will result.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  06:01:21  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wonderful - sad, but wonderful. Thank you, Elaine.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  11:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This story is simply wonderful, Elaine!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  17:51:02  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A great story and always good to see more of your great characters. It's also a good situation to consider in a world where people can be resurrected. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it ought to be done. Is there anything else out there with Liriel and her two companions? I thought I'd read everything with her in it but clearly I've missed this story at least.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  18:38:10  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, idillippy! Glad you liked the story.

In answer to your question, here's a link to the page on my website for Daughter of the Drow. If you scroll down to the bottom, you'll find a list of all the novels and short stories in which Liriel appears.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/books/forgotten-realms/daughter-of-the-drow-info/
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  23:45:43  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thanks for the link! I've enjoyed Liriel's story, and really all of your Realms stories, a lot so finding stories of yours that I have missed is great. I hope to someday see another Realms book authored by you but even if not the stories you've written for the setting have been among my favorites and are a big part of the reason I love the setting.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  18:56:08  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rapunzel77

I haven't had a chance to read this story until now. Thank you for posting it. I am wondering though, if you ever get a chance to write in the Forgotten Realms, how did the spell-plague effect Liriel since she is a cleric of Mystra?

Yes, I've often wondered what happened to her after 2 of her 3 deities died.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  19:53:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

quote:
Originally posted by rapunzel77

Yes, I've often wondered what happened to her after 2 of her 3 deities died.

I know, right? Our girl sure can pick 'em...
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  00:49:52  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on how much on Surface Faerun Religion she knows. Cause two relatively well known divine facts are...

A) Mystra has died and been reborn twice before.

B) Bane had been kill for good but was resurrected later (and almost resurrected a different time in Finder's Bane).

Then there was Waukeen being dead but not really.

So Liriel might not be as majorly concerned with dead gods. And even if she is, she might take an active role and try to help the dead goddess before switch to another. Or at least learning any plans.

Remember while Drow might be one of the most impatient of elven subraces, they do have the patience of decades and/or centuries to wait. And plot.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  04:43:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waukeen was never declared dead... Just absent.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000