Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 News on 5e campaign setting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  19:18:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

They've timed it with the release of the 6e Player's Guide?

Thanks, I needed the chuckle this provoked.

On a more serious note, I'm content to wait for good stuff, and work on my own in the meantime, when the alternative is rushed or poorly thought out junk, changes for the sake of changing things, and so forth. We've seen proof that that they can flub it quite badly, so I'd prefer they take their time.

Relevant to the issue of time is Edtime, not to be confused with Sagetime. Ed is undoubtedly insanely busy, which is obviously a good thing for us in the long run, but it means that anything which relies on his input is going to take a bit of patience. Everyone at WotC is probably pretty busy, given that they're down to a skeleton crew now. My point is this:

Dear WotC,
Please give Ed creative control over what goes into the 5e Realms. Let him delegate what he chooses to whom he chooses. Give him the time he needs, and give us what he gives you. Remind him to be wary of Elminster's tendency to go off on tangents, but give us what he gives you. We like those tangents. Edit him at your own risk.
Thanks and ice cream,
Fans.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  22:46:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

I don't think that you can realistically expect a FRCS before GEN-CON 2016.

-- George Krashos

Likely. But that means that we aren't getting any substantial FR lore for two years, since the lore in their adventures model only seems to be limited to little snippets about the new FR (like Laeral being the new open lord).

That's not necessarily right. Eric Boyd has been doing a ton of hard work in the last couple of months on the North; filling in holes, providing more background lore and history and fleshing out existing information and linking it together where appropriate. Think of the North boxed set, but with more detail and lore as well as updated to reflect the fiction.

It is a lot of stuff. A lot. And he's not done yet. WotC is aware of the work he is doing and I'm hoping they'll release it officially - a bit like they did with GHotR. Fan stuff made good (although Eric is way more than just a fan of the Realms).

Given the likely hiatus till the 5E FRCS, I think that they could do a lot worse than get this work out there.

-- George Krashos

DISCLAIMER: I've helped out Eric here and there on his project and may well be considered to have a vested interest in seeing it published. To be clear, if it did get published I wouldn't ask for a cent. It needs to get out there because Eric's super hard work needs to be recognized and because quite simply, it's great realmslore that he's come up with.
Epic-level AGREE

Imagine The North Box... now divide that into SIX campaign settings (perhaps eight), each one more detailed then the original box. Now imagine not only one of THE BEST FR designers creating it, but having the help of at least three other well-loved (old-school) FR designers... one of whom has the power to create canon lore.

That would be something, eh?
Worth sticking around for? Now close your eyes and wish REALLY HARD...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  00:06:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

If you need a proof reader or fanatic fan to double check facts then i'm your man (although i doubt you two need any help with either).

Please, please, please work on Delzoun next. That region is dying to be fleshed out in more detail (i dont even care if Ascore gets mentioned or not since that is barely a footnote in the chronicle of that dwarven realm). So many questions about the kingdom and so few answers.

Besilmer, Ammarindar, Sharrven, Siluvanede and Eaerlann are done pretty much. Delzoun is almost done. Likely heading west now to do Gharraghaur, Illefarn, Illusk and Haunghdannar. We'll have come full circle then, so the next destination is up for grabs.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  01:17:12  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not trying to be greedy because that's quite a list already but since you mention a next destination... Meiritin? I haven't seen much of anything on it yet.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  08:09:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Short-lived halfling realm made up of halflings from present-day Tethyr fleeing the abuses of the Duke of Cortryn. Joined the multiracial kingdom of Phalorm and ceased to exist as an independent entity. Built the undercity of Dolblunde now inhabited by the dracolich Daurgothoth.

What else do you want to know?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  09:51:18  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Short-lived halfling realm made up of halflings from present-day Tethyr fleeing the abuses of the Duke of Cortryn. Joined the multiracial kingdom of Phalorm and ceased to exist as an independent entity. Built the undercity of Dolblunde now inhabited by the dracolich Daurgothoth.

What else do you want to know?

-- George Krashos

Uh oh ... i feel like i'm blaspheming for what i'm going to write but it seems to me (basing my knowledge on Lands of Intrigue and Grand History of the Realms) that there are some mistakes in the above:
- the halflings that founded Meiritin were forced to move from the Purple Hills of Tethyr and established themselves in the Tejarn Hills and areas east of Lake Esmel in modern-day Amn in 227 DR;
- much later, in 491 DR, Cortryn conquers Meiritin (and Valashar) and then, due to the abuses of the Dukes of Cortryn, the realm of Meiritin is abandoned in 514 DR. Thus it's the refugees of Meiritin that join Phalorm, the realm was already lost to Cortryn;
- gnomes built Dolblunde;

That's the jist of it, if you want to add a little more detail you can say that:
- Meiritin was conquered by Ihundyl the Mad Mage in 231 DR and freed by none others than Elminster Aumar and Mirjala Dark-Eyes in 238 DR;
- hundreds of halflings from Meiritin migrated to Myth Drannor in 284 DR;
- in 1370 DR, exploiting the defections of Riatavin and Trailstone, the anarchy caused by the war with the Sythillisian Empire and the presence of an heir to the throne of the old kingdom of Amn in the Council of Six (Dahaunarch Tanislove), the Knights of the Shield and members of the Council of Six (i admit the reasons for the involvement of Iltarch Dannihyr and Pommarch Q'Helvor are a mistery to me) are planning to break up Amn again and refound the kingdom of Amn, the margravate of Meiritin and the dukedom (duchy?) of Cortryn; {from Cloak and Dagger page 19}

Edited by - Demzer on 15 Nov 2014 09:52:48
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  13:16:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, Demzer has got it all correct and found all my errors. That'll teach me to post on the fly while watching my boy play cricket.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  15:55:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose I could say, "That was jolly-well un-cricket of you!"

I don't think Eric has plans to go that far south... maybe another will come along...

I think everyone involved has their own area staked-out, and Eric has the whole of the western Heartlands (a mighty HUGE area). You can guess at the others.

Its funny, because awhile back (when I was working on a new set of FR campaign maps) I had decided to divide-up the entirety of Faerūn (including the Hordelands) into Nine maps (regions). The first of those was my map of the Western Heartlands, which is still up on my Deviantart page (and was never finished - sigh). It seems, thats pretty-much how this is working out... except that each of those areas are now getting divided-up into smaller sections and getting MUCH more detail! Too bad its only four of those regions getting that treatment, but its still plenty to work with.

Ummmm... not that I know anything... all guesswork here.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Nov 2014 15:56:17
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  17:07:05  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bad, I thought Meiritin was further north. In any case I'm really looking forward to seeing this project.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  21:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We'll have come full circle then, so the next destination is up for grabs.
-- George Krashos

Well, I'm absolutely fine with you and Eric taking off and doing whatever your devious minds want to do with Shoonach, if you so choose. Not as much a broad historical span but a lot of niggling bits to sort out, create architecture and funerary rituals, and of course stock one of the most dangerous focal locations for monsters outside of Undermountain.

Go on. Have a party. A Dead Man's Party. Who Could Ask for More? Honestly?

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  18:14:42  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George- any chance you'll cover Rhymanthiin? I'd love to know more about that city in present day! I feel like the rebuilding of that city and re-emergence of a dark elf race is HUGE in FR lore, but nobody seems to be talking about it.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  18:52:32  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

If you need a proof reader or fanatic fan to double check facts then i'm your man (although i doubt you two need any help with either).

Please, please, please work on Delzoun next. That region is dying to be fleshed out in more detail (i dont even care if Ascore gets mentioned or not since that is barely a footnote in the chronicle of that dwarven realm). So many questions about the kingdom and so few answers.

Besilmer, Ammarindar, Sharrven, Siluvanede and Eaerlann are done pretty much. Delzoun is almost done. Likely heading west now to do Gharraghaur, Illefarn, Illusk and Haunghdannar. We'll have come full circle then, so the next destination is up for grabs.

-- George Krashos

Oghrann, the dwarven migration through the Storm Horns, and Tethyamar! :)

I have to admit, Shoonach would be pretty cool too.

Edited by - Eilserus on 18 Nov 2014 18:55:09
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  19:43:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wanted to find out more about the Shaar, which is slightly linked to the Shoon Imperium as they had a presence there.

Did some of the Untheric gods run and hide there. Who were the powerful dragons of the south (they are mentioned but not named). Why are there so many fiends there. What's the deal with Gargauth and the Shaar, how did he end up there.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  12:02:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

George- any chance you'll cover Rhymanthiin? I'd love to know more about that city in present day! I feel like the rebuilding of that city and re-emergence of a dark elf race is HUGE in FR lore, but nobody seems to be talking about it.

We've kind of skated around Rhymanthiin at the moment due to a range of factors - but mainly because it doesn't greatly figure in the timeline point we are writing at, at the moment. I think we should look at it, but will have to have a big pow wow with Steven Schend in doing so.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  15:18:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm all for lore on new things like Rhymanthiin, however the High Moor has a lot of secret stuff going on in there that we dont know about prior to the return of that elven city.

There seem to have been several dwarven kingdoms in and around the High Moor. Netheril looks to have had a bit of interest there. There are thousands of years in there and not a whole lot of concrete info.

By all means do Rhymanthiin justice, as only you and Eric and a few others can, but hopefully not at the expense of the rest of the High Moor.

Saying that i dont doubt that you and Eric have given everything its due consideration and done exactly the right thing, so just ignore me and carry doing something excellent.

If WoTC do publish your work and cut any of it i will add it to the list of reasons to hound them forever.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  15:47:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see a book focusing on the High Moor, but alas, I don't see that happening.

On my map of the North over at DeviantART - and another that should be revealed shortly (hopefully) - I've taken the old 'Fire-swamps' and repurposed them as more of an 'elemental chaos' type of areas, which is better (I think) in keeping with the other lore for the region. I've also renamed them the 'Hellwrought Lands' (what? You thought I use 'plaguelands', or 'Wild Magic Zones'? Some thing, really... I just like my name better).

Rather then just an elemental cyst (node), they are actually a cluster of various planer 'nodes' (pools, whatever) that interact with each other, and everything else, making the place a 'living hell' (hence, my name for them). One minute it could be raining hail the size of oranges, and the next, raining colorless fire. The vegetation and animals are also wildly affected - flora grows back and unprecedented rate (several times a day, even!), and the fauna are all of the 'monstrous' variety (slap whatever scary template you like on 'em). The plant-life, BTW, are no less 'monstrous' then the animals... or insects... BIG insects.

Even The Chosen have no idea how to deal with the problem - you would have to go through each area and close-up every single 'tear' in the weave, and that would take centuries to accomplish... which is why nothing has been done about them. That, and they don't seem to expand the way most tears do - they are fairly stable, and most agree that any effort to remove them may, in fact, destabilize them, and who knows what that could mean for Faerūn? They also seem to wax and wain in power, but why that happens - and if there is any pattern to it - no one has been able to discern.

Thats all I got - don't know if its getting used, but thats pretty-much how I wrote them up. If you want, you can even picture them as little pockets of The Mournlands from Eberron (living spells, etc). The physics of the entire Moor is a little screwed up, but still habitable, but the Hellwrought Lands are... well... a small slice of hell.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Nov 2014 15:49:24
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  17:29:23  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not my Dessarin Valley!

Seriously, there are square miles upon square miles of the Heartlands you can put any adventure into ... and "Elemental Evil"? Really? Are there any original titles in D&D product lines anymore? I can't wait till they put Hommlet in Cormyr.

-- George Krashos

Eww, what, Elemental Evil in Dessarin? I concur with GK!!!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  13:14:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you put the Temple of Elemental Evil near the Dessarin, but Homlett in Cormyr?

Actually, (in my new campaign) I've already placed Homlett just south of Athwater Vale (MY version of it), and replaced/merged Athwater Vale with Nentir Vale... Nentir Vale fits perfectly between the High Forest and the High Moor (just rename it 'The High Vale' and its FR).

The very first 'FR' adventure I ran was ToEE, and I set it in the Dales, just north of Cormanthor near Yulash - it was a GREAT fit there. I was completely unfamiliar with FR at the time, and wanted to run GH (which I knew well), but the group insisted I run FR, so I ported-over what I knew. Besides, it makes sense that WotC is trying to consolidate their IP's and bring anything Drow/Lolth related to FR.

EDIT: If you look at THIS MAP, you can see I placed Homlett and Nulb just NW of Thay. That map is TOTALLY non-canon... don't stare at it too long, your head might explode. I really need to post newer versions of my campaign maps - I just added the Elsir Vale (Scales of War) up around Mirabar - but I am too busy working on things I think fans will find more... useful.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Nov 2014 13:23:13
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  13:27:10  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
EDIT: If you look at THIS MAP, you can see I placed Homlett and Nulb just NW of Thay. That map is TOTALLY non-canon... don't stare at it too long, your head might explode. I really need to post newer versions of my campaign maps - I just added the Elsir Vale (Scales of War) up around Mirabar - but I am too busy working on things I think fans will find more... useful.

Actually, what you need to do is release your grand homebrew game in pdf form for me to steal I'll settle for the fact that your back at CK posting again...for now.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  13:41:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eventually.

I would have had it done by now - its mostly complete (at least, the main campaign region), but I've been so busy with things that need to take priority. Same goes for my maps of Impiltur/The Eastern Heartlands.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  21:06:08  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

EDIT: If you look at THIS MAP, you can see I placed Homlett and Nulb just NW of Thay. That map is TOTALLY non-canon... don't stare at it too long, your head might explode.

Wow.

Hmm... wow. Waterdeep just a hop-skip-and-jump from Thay. And hey, I see Tristram. Tangent: Do you have/use the Diablo-modified-for-D&D products? I saw them on Amazon a while back and thought they might make for fun reads but I haven't been able to get them yet.

So um... does Thay invade the High Forest instead of Rashemen?

(In other words, you should put up more than just a map somewhere, because how it all works for you might be interesting for those of us who survive the initial explosion of our heads.)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  22:32:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I used the Diablo products, and a lot of lore from Warcraft (after all, both have 'Orc Gates'). Thay was responsible for the fall of Empyrea - a large kingdom (trying to become an empire) that existed a few hundred years ago, by summoning/creating the 'Taanglord'. Since then, Thay has been trying to control that entire middle-region between Waterdeep and Thay, but the Lord's Alliance blocks them at every turn. Thay also tries to extend its influence in Varisia (using the merger with Cheliax as the basis for all of that).

I've also blended most of the FR versions with Golarion and Mystara countries. For example, I mashed-together Impiltur and Karameikos (similar flavors), but Impiltur is now over where Turmish was. You can see on that map there (I think) that I blended Thay with Cheliax. I also glued-together Sembia and Druma (once again, VERY similar flavors). Varisia - a region where most of the PF AP's take place - sits where Aglarond used to be (right next to merged Thay/Cheliax, as it should be).

Cormyr remains pristine, as does the Dalelands/Cormanthor (thus-far), and the Flaeness (Greyhawk) remains intact across the western ocean (except that coast is the old Easting Reach - except for Thay, it swapped places with the sword Coast). I even put the drow (Damdrath) up where Thar was - I like them on the Moonsea, fighting with Mulmaster, Zhentil Keep, and Luskan (quite literally, they became my 'People of the Black Sails'). I kept everything I wanted to use close-by, and threw all the other stuff further afield (so I didn't get rid of anything - just moved it out of the way - Turmish, for example, is now on my southern/Chultan continent).

Most of Andoran (Golarion/PF) is merged with Chondath, but I kept Dark Moon Vale in the North, right next to Nentir Vale (which you can see beneath The High Forest). I will NEVER run out of useable material... BWA HA HA HA!!!

I plan a 'campaign guide' eventually, when I'm not so busy. I've merged all the history as well. As long as I never try to sell any of it, I should be good - if anything, it helps promote a company's IP to people who've only played in one of the other settings (I don't build walls... I tear them down). For example, the excellent Razor Coast (Frog God games/PF) is down in my 'sea of steam' region, on Chult (my Sea of Steam is HUGE - way bigger then the canon one... bigger even then the Inner sea). Also, ALL seas are connected, and every single pirate that has ever lived, real or imagined, from every setting, are alive and well on my world. So are most other famous seamen (Captain Ahab, for example). Its the Planet Arium, in the Amalgam system - a rather unique sphere that most others avoid (because people don't want to run into themselves - the canon worlds ALSO exist, but elsewhere).

Oh, and the Chronomancer was really 'The Doctor'... but thats a given, isn't it?

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Nov 2014 22:56:10
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  15:37:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just had an interesting epiphany (after getting a look at some artwork) -

What if the 5e DMG WAS our 5e FRCG?

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  16:39:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It wasn't. 5E D&D core rule books are setting neutral.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  17:10:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

It wasn't. 5E D&D core rule books are setting neutral.

Yep. Someone asked Mearls on twitter if the DMG was going to include any substantial update/lore for the Realms. His answer basically was ''No''.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  17:15:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was this -
quote:
"Beyond the central continent of Faerūn, Toril includes the regions of Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, and Maztica."

Apparently, Maztica is back.

EDIT: And now I've come across a map of the Daggerford region that was presumably done for the DMG - are you guys certain?

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Nov 2014 19:27:31
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  18:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Map of Daggerford is in the DMG, but not in full. It's a boarder on a page on building a city.

You can buy the full map from Mike Schley's website.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 29 Nov 2014 18:44:38
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  19:36:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

EDIT: And now I've come across a map of the Daggerford region that was presumably done for the DMG - are you guys certain?

The DMG includes some examples from various WotC's settings, but it's world-neutral. They would have eagerly told us that they were going to include an update for FR in the DMG, if that was the case. More sales are always welcome ofc, and this would probably have made FR fans at least curious about the book.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  04:01:01  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the question of the slow release schedule for the Realms (and for D&D in general), ENWorld posted a quote from Mike Mearls that is apropos the topic: "For instance, we now know that the high volume release schedule for 3e and 4e turned out to be bad for D&D. It wasn't too many settings that hurt TSR, but too many D&D books of any kind. lots of experiments ahead..."

So it's experiments going forward. I wonder what that means for the Realms?

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?408983-UPDATED-Has-ADVENTURER-S-HANDBOOK-Been-Cancelled#ixzz3PWGEnfwT

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  04:57:24  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say I'm disappointed in the Adventurers Handbook disappearing. Those have always been my least favorite (or purchased) types of books.

Not sure about the whole experiments thing, but I hope they take a deep look at how Paizo does things (though I'd assume they have). They've got the right idea with the adventure paths, it just needs to be refined (softcover for starters to reduce cost and increase pagecount or lower price point). Frankly I don't understand why they don't make their adventure paths more similar to Paizo. Adventure Section, Lore Section, and Bestiary. That's a sexy combo if done right.

They need to tap the online component. That is ALOT of money being left on the table. I'd start with returning Dungeon and Dragon Magazine. Dungeon would be an easy one to bring back with adventures, Dragon would need more work to make it great. Ed and a few others are masters of lore and design at the Realms, there'd need to be suitable folks able to step up for Greyhawk, Planescape, Darksun etc.

Honestly not sure what this means for the Realms. As far as I understand, 5E has been a success, so maybe this is an attempt to fine tune their process.

Edited by - Eilserus on 22 Jan 2015 04:58:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000