Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 News on 5e campaign setting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  03:09:40  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well! I was on vacation for a week and read the entire 'The Sundering' series on the beach. Just finished 'The Herald' today and all I can say is... wow. I'm feeling a little happy, a little sad, etc. However, the main reason I'm here is because I'm curious if we know if and when a 5E FR Campaign Setting will come out?

My old book is in great condition, if a bit worn, but is woefully out of date after the events of the last 10 years or so. I'd really like to see an up to date book, because I feel like it is needed, in order to put everything that has happened in order, with 5E stats, a map etc. Does anyone know anything about it?

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  03:28:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC announced that no FRCG is in the works atm. It may be a future project (but very far down the road).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Aug 2014 03:29:31
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  03:37:30  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks... and ugh.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  03:46:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC still has to produce to the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual for 5th edition, and WotC appears to want to put the majority of its resources on the task of producing a FRCG without distractions.

If they elect to pivot to the Realms right after the core rulebooks are done, I bet they could have the FRCG out in time for Gen Con 2015.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 25 Aug 2014 04:00:54
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  03:51:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

We don't know for sure that it's "very far" down the road.

That is, WotC still has to produce to the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual for 5th edition, and WotC appears to want to put the majority of its resources on the task of producing a FRCG without distractions.

If they elect to pivot to the Realms right after the core rulebooks are done, I bet they could have the FRCG out in time for Gen Con 2015.

I truly hope that they do so, but that's wishful thinking IMHO.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Aug 2014 03:52:24
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  04:01:09  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thought process has always been, well if the FR are supposed to be the main setting for 5E AND you go through all this trouble with blowing up the world for the billionth and supposedly last time, then a campaign setting book would be necessary. I don't know if it's wishful thinking or not, but if this is really the last time we're going through this, then I think it would make sense to have a really detailed and beautiful guide like we did in 3E.

...Or maybe I just want to return to the early 2000's when I first got into FR

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  05:39:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears they (WotC) are trying to figure out how to introduce people to the world without drowning them in it.

I don't personally like the idea of the Forgotten Realms being the core world for 5E D&D--that is, the world presented in a pastiche, haphazard way in the core rulebooks--but I realize that the level of world immersion required for players who just want to play D&D and don't really care about the campaign world the DM's adventures are set in just isn't that deep.

Thus, I can see how it benefits the Realms to make it the core world, in that DMs can safely say they're playing in the Realms without also having to worry about--or be worried by one of their players about--canon, Realmslore, the enormous backstory of the setting and so on.

So even though it bothers me that the Realms are diluted when it's presented in the core rules, I can appreciate how WotC's strategy seems to be one of bringing people right up to the edge of the water and letting them decide if they want to jump in or not.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 25 Aug 2014 05:40:53
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  05:54:46  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can understand them being gun shy as a result of 4E. And I can understand them wanting to take their time and do it right.

I'm not sure I get what they are trying to tell us when they say they are tryign to figure out how to do it.

There aren't all that many different ways to present a campaign setting. Historically speaking, anyway. Always room for them to surprise us, I guess.

Do the designers mean they are working on how to present the information?
Or more generally, are they still working out what the current state of the Realms is?

It seems like even if they are still brainstorming how to relate it to us...they must have a vision for what the Realms look like now.

Why not share a little with fans about what's going on?

Them being open with the process, as they have been with the rules playtest and such, would go a long way in my mind in addressing the bad feeling leftover from 4E.

I don't understand being openly communicative about the game but secretive about the Realms.

Edited by - hobbitfan on 25 Aug 2014 05:58:29
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  06:14:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

I don't understand being openly communicative about the game but secretive about the Realms.

I agree with you: it would be nice to know something of what's going on.

But I'm guessing there's not all that much actually happening behind the scenes.

We know they have no in-house novels department anymore. And if it's true that they're down to just enough people to work on one rulebook plus coordinate with outside parties for the production of adventures, then it follows that the actual work to produce a 5E FRCG can't happen until they're freed up from their current job load (the DMG and the MM).

I guess the counterargument would be: what about all that Realms hoopla last year? The talk of the Sundering--which itself didn't do as much as everyone seemed to think it would--and of fixing the Realms and of realizing it in a detailed way visually?

My guess is they (WotC) put the breaks on it. Or rather they got done as much as they could ahead of time before their focus shifted to putting out 5E D&D.

So right now I think maybe three or four people at the most know what's going to happen, and I'm happy to assume Ed is one of those, and that he is grinding away month after month on non-novel material for the 5E Realms.

But until the people at WotC start putting the pieces together, they don't have anything worth showing us.

And if they tell us their general plan, then that'd be spoiling the fun. Plus, plans could change...it's happened before.

So I choose to remain eager and happy with anticipation.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 25 Aug 2014 06:16:37
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  09:59:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

My thought process has always been, well if the FR are supposed to be the main setting for 5E AND you go through all this trouble with blowing up the world for the billionth and supposedly last time, then a campaign setting book would be necessary. I don't know if it's wishful thinking or not, but if this is really the last time we're going through this, then I think it would make sense to have a really detailed and beautiful guide like we did in 3E.

...Or maybe I just want to return to the early 2000's when I first got into FR

I agree. Not only that, but there is a lot if stuff that should have happened during the Sundering and that the novels didn't cover. What happened to lands like Mulhorand and Maztica that shifted on Abeir, what's in for Lantan and Halruaa, what are all the other gods but Mystra, Helm, Mask and Lathander (who had storyline in the books) up to and so on.

The wishful thinking part was about the book being released the next year (or in the next two years IMHO).

quote:
But I'm guessing there's not all that much actually happening behind the scenes.

This is my impression too. Mearls said that they have not even started working on a FRCG and that the next thing after the DMG is a big vacation, so they'll just let other publishers put out adventures following their story bibles (maybe Ed has been writing those during the last month).

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Aug 2014 18:30:59
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  00:28:40  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait.. they not working on a FRCG? For the sundering... didn't they show they had this whole company/department/whatever making a bible or whatever of all the current Realms lore. From what characters and people looked like to what the little details Ed used to write research papers about. What was that about? Please don't tell me that was just wasted money and hype? No wonder they keep reducing their staff.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 02 Sep 2014 00:29:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  00:59:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Wait.. they not working on a FRCG? For the sundering... didn't they show they had this whole company/department/whatever making a bible or whatever of all the current Realms lore. From what characters and people looked like to what the little details Ed used to write research papers about. What was that about? Please don't tell me that was just wasted money and hype? No wonder they keep reducing their staff.

They are not working on it right now. There is one coming, but they have a reduced staff and need to concentrate on the DMG first.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  16:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we really want the same people that are currently working on the DMG to be designers on the FRCG? Serious question.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  17:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, what is the difference between an author's story Bible and, say, a regional splat book or campaign setting? Because they sound very similar to me, and I'd be willing to pay for such a book.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  19:46:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between an author's story Bible and, say, a regional splat book or campaign setting? Because they sound very similar to me, and I'd be willing to pay for such a book.

A author's story Bible set forth key events, the campaign setting might mention some key people, however is more about the lands (roads, rivers and so on).

An outline of the future is the guide for most authors (Some do write novels of the past history).
A campaign setting is a snap shop of current and past and has much more detail.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  20:13:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Do we really want the same people that are currently working on the DMG to be designers on the FRCG? Serious question.

It's not like the decision is ours, they will likely keep the FRCG (assuming there is actually going to be one) a in-house project, hopefully with Ed being the main source of lore and being at the helm of the work (but I have a gut feeling that -with the sales boom of 5e PHB- they will just return to do w/e they want. I hope to be dead wrong on this).

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Sep 2014 20:17:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  21:39:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It depends on who it is. I've no idea who is working on the DMG...

I'm not sure it's a personnel issue as much as it is a time and resources issue.

I'll also note that I have a wish list of who I'd want working on an FRCS, and at least one or two names of FR alumni that I wouldn't want to come anywhere near it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Sep 2014 21:44:33
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  23:20:52  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ask the question because of WotC's apparent new strategy of farming out design to other companies. For example, Kobold Press is producing two Realms adventures and it was revealed recently that Sasquatch Game Studio is now designing a sourcebook or two. With that in mind, I'm perplexed why Mike Mearls would insist that the in-house team needs to finish up the DMG before focusing on anything else. If Mearls wanted, he could easily contact Ed Greenwood, Eric Boyd, and Steven Schend (the core of my FRCS dream team), who could start writing the book immediately. There are very few designers at WotC these days and the majority of them are mechanically adept (a requirement when designing a new edition) but have little expertise in Realmslore.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  23:26:14  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I ask the question because of WotC's apparent new strategy of farming out design to other companies. For example, Kobold Press is producing two Realms adventures and it was revealed recently that Sasquatch Game Studio is now designing a sourcebook or two. With that in mind, I'm perplexed why Mike Mearls would insist that the in-house team needs to finish up the DMG before focusing on anything else. If Mearls wanted, he could easily contact Ed Greenwood, Eric Boyd, and Steven Schend (the core of my FRCS dream team), who could start writing the book immediately. There are very few designers at WotC these days and the majority of them are mechanically adept (a requirement when designing a new edition) but have little expertise in Realmslore.

I would love it, if what you propose was their plan. However -as I said- I think that they want to keep major books as in-house project, while assigning splatbooks to other companies.

Also, what you say at the end worries me, unless Ed actually gets to have the final say on what goes in the book.

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Sep 2014 23:29:05
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  23:55:05  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking along similar lines as Brian.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  01:23:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that his quick trip to GEN-CON has rekindled Eric's FR enthusiasm, I think he's primed and ready to go right now! My inbox can attest to that.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  01:40:40  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea whether he would or not, or if anyone at WOTC would ask but if I had any wish aside from having Ed in a central role in ALL realms products, it would be to have Jeff Grubb working on those projects as well. He had his fingers in pretty much all of my favorite old FR products, as well as Spelljammer, Al Qadim and DL. I've always thought things started their downward spiral when he stopped being a part of the Realms team.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  03:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

A author's story Bible set forth key events, the campaign setting might mention some key people, however is more about the lands (roads, rivers and so on).

An outline of the future is the guide for most authors (Some do write novels of the past history).
A campaign setting is a snap shop of current and past and has much more detail.

Thanks! In that case, I'd much rather have the setting written by people who know the lore. From what I've seen, Mearls likes the Realms, but I've not seen anything to make me want him to be the one writing it. I'd rather see that detail in Ed's hands, in much the manner BRJ pointed out, with Ed, Eric, and others doing the actual writing.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  03:57:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Provided that they've had input on Realms design in the last ten years or so, then I'd be comfortable with the possibility of what these DMG designers *could* bring into a 5e FRCG.

I won't dismiss the possibility outright, because I'm actually quite comfortable with where this new edition is starting from, so I would say, ultimately, that curiosity is currently my state of opinion of this issue.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  18:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Provided that they've had input on Realms design in the last ten years or so, then I'd be comfortable with the possibility of what these DMG designers *could* bring into a 5e FRCG.

I won't dismiss the possibility outright, because I'm actually quite comfortable with where this new edition is starting from, so I would say, ultimately, that curiosity is currently my state of opinion of this issue.

I don't necessarily disagree. I've not been following the current Realms very closely until after the Sundering was announced, so my intel on these people is sparse. From what I have seen, I'd trust the DMG team to pick a good team to write the next FRCS, but I'm cautious about them writing it themselves.
I don't think they'd do a bad job, I just think they'd be better suited to hand that task off to more experienced people. On the other hand, you don't train new people to write Realms material by telling them to sit in a corner and let the pro's handle it. If they kept Ed at the Helm as sort of a guiding light to the new designers, I can see it working out quite well, and training new blood to take the Realms to the next generation, that way my great-grandkids might have a good chance at having a decent Realms design team.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  03:04:26  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it, I don't want the 5e "designers" doing a FRCS.

These are essentially the same guys that decided Mystra had to die to force the new magic mechanic on the Realms... the same guys that decide to change years of devil/demon lore... the same guys that are now undoing all that... the same guys that have now forced The Weave as a core mechanic.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  04:18:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Come to think of it, I don't want the 5e "designers" doing a FRCS.

These are essentially the same guys that decided Mystra had to die to force the new magic mechanic on the Realms... the same guys that decide to change years of devil/demon lore... the same guys that are now undoing all that... the same guys that have now forced The Weave as a core mechanic.

Actually, as I understand it, most of the 4E design team is no longer at WotC.

And we don't know everything that went into some of those questionable decisions, either.

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  15:19:12  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

To the question "Who is working on the DMG right now" Ed mentions clearly in this panel that Chris Perkins is frantically writing it at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7i6nDie_yw

Cheers.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  01:00:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a damn good question Brian. The people who may be good at class design and development are not always the greatest people at building a story. The two are different skillsets.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2014 :  08:42:41  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's true! A dream team. But for years I miss Jeff Grubb. He could return. In fact, I never knew why he left the Forgotten Realms team .
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  18:17:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

Hi there,

To the question "Who is working on the DMG right now" Ed mentions clearly in this panel that Chris Perkins is frantically writing it at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7i6nDie_yw

Cheers.

Pat

I was really hoping for a mix of the Realms Old Guard (i.e. Ed Greenwood, Eric Boyd, Steven Schend, George Krashos) and some of the younger devoted Realms writers/designers (i.e. Brian R. James, Matt James, Erik Scott de Bie, Eytan Bernstein) to design the 5e FRCG.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000