Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Campaign idea, input welcome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carl.white
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  11:14:03  Show Profile Send carl.white a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm pretty new to the Realms (and very new to this site). But with the launch of 5e and the default setting due to be Faerun I've decided that the Realms will be the setting for our group's next campaign.

I'm well aware that there is not a lot of love out there for the 4e version of the Realms. Nevertheless I have decided to go with that setting, as I found the 4e campaign guide an easy jumping on point.

I have a campaign background that most of the adventures will tie into in some way, slowly revealing the true events as the campaign (hopefully) reaches higher levels. And that's what I could use some guidance on from folks with a better knowledge of the Realms than me. Does the plot work, do the players fit, are there any obvious hooks or interesting groups I should tie in that fit the themes?

Your feedback would be very welcome.

SHADOWS ACROS THE MOON

After Cyric killed Mystra and unleashed the Spellplague on Toril he was imprisoned forever... or so the gods believed.

Shar has weakened the prison that contains Cyric, allowing a sliver of access to a realm once thought to be inaccessible. During a total lunar eclipse the prison realm of the Supreme Throne can now be reached using sympathetic magic. Shar now seeks seven keys to unbind the mad god, that he may kill her sister Selune. This act will hurl the moon into Toril, causing untold destruction and plunging the world into moonless darkness.

The three gods that imprisoned Cyric each took 2 keys, one to guard and one to give to a trusted ally. The seventh was sealed deep beneath the Shattered Palace, where it was thought none could ever reach it.

Key 1: Amnaunator holds the first, secure in the Palace of the Four Suns.

Key 2: Amnaunator gave the second to Kussuth. Kussuth vanished after the Spellplague; he has been imprisoned by Shar, but not before the Fire Primordial was able to pass the key to the mortal world. Kussuth has suffered remorseless torture ever since but has yet to give up the key's location. It is locked in a strongbox in a Baldur's Gate bank. Kussuth has been able to release fragments of his being into the world, granting mortal hosts with a sliver of his power (though it is tainted by shadow, manifesting as a black fire). A Black Fyre Wandering Poet has the bank deposit reciept, which appeared on his person at the same time as his Black Fyre powers.

Key 3: Tyr held the third. It was stolen when Baphomet's forces killed Tyr, and is now in Shar's possession.

Key 4: Tyr passed the fourth to an inner cadre of paladins of Elturgard. 3 years ago Fort Morninglord was attacked by Blackfire Zealots who stole the key and passed it to Shar. Even the High Observer of Elturgard does not know of the order's failed mission, and wrongly believes the cadre to have turned from the light (FGCP pg 125)

Key 5: Sune held the fifth, and thinks she holds it still in Brightwater. However the true fourth key was stolen a decade ago by the Blackmoon Monks and passed to Shar.

Key 6: Sune gave the sixth to the eladrin Hill Elders of Evereska. One of their number, the secret leader of Eldrath Veluuthra, has betrayed that trust, exchanging the key for assurances from Netheril that Evereska will be spared from Netheril expansionism. Netherites have presented the key to Shar.

Key 7: The seventh was buried beneath the Supreme Throne, and has been found by the gnome diviner Ulbrecht the All-Seeing. Neither Shar's forces or the party realise this.

Shar now holds four keys, and seeks the final three.

A couple of notes on the PCs. They start with zero knowledge of broader events. Adventures will be slowly reveal hints and clues. We have two PCs on the run from Eldrath Veluuthra, one on the run from a renegade Harper agent, one who wields BlackFyre and unwittingly owns a key to Cyric's prison.

Once again, any thoughts or advice most welcome.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  12:51:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some one new to the realms you appear to know much. *Smiles*
A note about Key 5 above, Sune held key 5, "However the true fourth key was stolen a decade ago by the Blackmoon Monks and passed to Shar." is a mismatch. Further it strikes me as unlikely any deity would not know it was robbed a decade ago.

Having one PC owning one of the keys strikes me as a bad idea.

Of course one idea would be other deities try to get key back, clearly some one should be looking for the Key Tyr held.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

carl.white
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  22:30:29  Show Profile Send carl.white a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kentinal

thanks for the catch on the fourth / fifth key, and for your feedback. It's a fair point, how has the 5th key been stolen without a god not realising it? It needs to happen for the plot to work, so those Shadow Monks clearly needs deific-level magics on their side to pull the heist off. With Shar on their side maybe that works.

Re the PC having ownership of a key, that's kind of the in to the story for the party. They may go and find out what it is that safe deposit box, but they almost certainly don't know what they have. Once they get it they are likely to be attacked by agents trying to get it from them, and may even lose it. That doesn't matter; it's the McGffin.

Re Tyr's key, I suppose the idea is that Try passed it on and ceased to worry about it. I like the idea that the gods are fallible, fickle and have short attention spans. But you're right, any other deity with focus on this issue could gain awareness and become interested in the key.

So, are there groups, gods or other players that you think I should involve in this story?

George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  23:52:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well even if Sune does not know she has a counterfeit, yes shadow magic might pull that off, with Try's death both Sune and Amnaunator would be looking for that key (Key 1).

Clearly Clerics of these two deities would be seeking the one key. Harpers maybe as well as they get involved in many things.

Deities that were listed as foes of Cyric certainly might be recruited as well and in effect their followers.

Yes in some ways the deities in the Realms clearly can err and even forget about minor details. Cyric however does not sound like a minor detail.

Not sure what groups remain in 4th Edition to fully oppose an inane idea of releasing Cyric. Others might come to your aid there.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  23:52:36  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has your game already started? How much of the plot has already been established already via game play?

Do you intend to make the deities into NPC's that can be killed and defeated? I'd always be very leery of allowing deities and the like to enter directly into game play. It creates a number of different problems with the lore, the setting, and in terms of game play it greatly diminishes scores of NPC's and groups (why listen to the High Priest when you can ask <insert deity name> directly?).

It seems like you're putting the PC's on a direct collision course with the deities in which they'll actively be fighting the gods. I assume you'd place this at the highest levels possible, but do you have enough plot between what would basically be the final battles and where you are currently already in the storyline?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  00:19:13  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more fuel for the fire, regarding #5. Sune needs to be deceived in order for the Blackmoon monks to steal the key without her knowledge. That does not mean that the monks have enough power to deceive a goddess... and they shouldn't, because if they have that much power then the PCs are no match for them at a reasonable character level. In my opinion it should be someone else who blinds/distracts Sune. Distracting takes less power than blinding, and therefore there are more eligible candidates. Not Shar because that's too convenient and Shar is already very powerful so making her the main villain in every subplot is overkill. Maybe Cyric can affect certain events or thoughts or motivations (he is, after all, quite mad) outside his prison, from within, perhaps due to this lunar eclipse phenomenon or perhaps just due to the imperfect nature of the prison. Shar merely capitalizes on Sune's sudden lack of vigilance to send her monks in at the most opportune time; she might suspect who gave her that opportunity but she shouldn't be entirely positive. On another line of thought, Sune is chaotic and probably not all that vigilant (at least not by Helm's definition) to begin with.

On a broader level, Cyric needs to have something which Shar cannot take from him or mimic. There needs to be a reason why she's relying on him to kill Selune instead of doing it herself. Particularly with this complicated situation going on... she's more of a spider than Lolth, so deciding what is making her unable to get directly to Selune herself might provide additional subplots for the adventure... as well as possibly illuminating what will eventually let the PCs defeat Shar.

Wait, what... defeat Shar? Here I'm obviously adding to your plotline, and you might just toss the whole thing in the garbage, but...

Perhaps the PCs get involved in this plot knowing nothing, then tumble (down many steps) to the realization that they need to stop Shar from unleashing Cyric into the Realms again... but as ambitious as that is (mortals thwarting the plans of an ancient and powerful goddess really should be a big deal) it's not the whole picture. If they can survive long enough, and um acquire enough XP, they can do more than stop her from opening Cyric's prison... they have a chance to discover her weakness (the one that's stopping her from assaulting Selune herself) and "grow" it to completely block Shar from the Realms for 100 years (or whatever length of time you think is appropriate). Like the silence of Lolth, only the PCs can cause it. That is a destiny (I think that's a 4e term for what happens at level 30, yes?) your players will be talking about for a while. If you choose to keep playing in a Realms without Shar, you can... or you can simply declare it an alternate universe after this campaign, and go back to the "normal" Realms.

Just some thoughts. Hope you have fun with your campaign!

Edit to clarify, because I would also avoid putting the PCs in a position of directly battling powers... that's definitely not what I'm suggesting. The PCs don't need to get anywhere near the gods, or even direct servants, at least not until very high levels and even then only if you decide to run with the idea of letting the PCs shut Shar out of the Realms. In that case she would be miffed, to say the least, and would certainly take punitive action. But running around the world researching and stealing keys doesn't require very high levels or personally clashing blades with gods... Harry Potter and friends did a decent job of it.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 25 Aug 2014 00:25:58
Go to Top of Page

carl.white
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  11:13:36  Show Profile Send carl.white a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Kentinal

I like the idea that there is a mystery surrounding key 2 and 3, and that agencies are hunting for those; Harpers, clerics of Sune and Amnaunator etc. But those hunts would be very much in secret, and given to only a trusted few; the very existence of the keys is a closely guarded secret. It may be that the party come across a group of those hunters at some point, or they may not.

George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

carl.white
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  11:21:12  Show Profile Send carl.white a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Aldrick

Has your game already started?
-Not yet
How much of the plot has already been established already via game play?
-None. At this point all the players know is their own backstory and the fact that they boarding a ship headed for the Moonshae Isles.
Do you intend to make the deities into NPC's that can be killed and defeated? I'd always be very leery of allowing deities and the like to enter directly into game play. It creates a number of different problems with the lore, the setting, and in terms of game play it greatly diminishes scores of NPC's and groups (why listen to the High Priest when you can ask <insert deity name> directly?).
-The players may meet (and even come into conflict with) deities if they make it as far as levels 17-20. However that would be a campaign-capping event. I don't see the deities featuring directly in the normal course of play.

It seems like you're putting the PC's on a direct collision course with the deities in which they'll actively be fighting the gods. I assume you'd place this at the highest levels possible, but do you have enough plot between what would basically be the final battles and where you are currently already in the storyline?
-Yes, see above. The party may or may not directly face off with a god. I have plenty of plot to fill out the levels before the endgame, perhaps too much! I want to keep the campaign very sandbox, giving the PCs a lot of choice in what they do and where they go, so depending on PC choices they may end up playing heavily modded versions of Murder in Baldur's Gate, Isle of Dread, Castle Ravenloft, Against the Giants, or a number of my own adventures. All of these can be made to tie into the themes of the overarching backstory, and advance that plot.

George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

carl.white
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  11:41:08  Show Profile Send carl.white a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@xaeyruudh

Agreed, Sune's key should be stolen through deception. I like the idea that Cyric somehow causes a distraction to Sune during a lunar eclipse, allowing the monks to do their work. Cyric at Shar's catspaw, in a reflection of the larger plot.

What does Shar need from Cyric? Plausible deniability. If she kills Selune herself the other gods will round on her and she's liable to end up sharing Cyric's fate of imprisonment. By secretly freeing Cyric and doing so in such a way as to ensure he goes after her hated sister she remains blameless, and can join the other gods in putting down the crazed Cyric once the deed is done. Of course there's no guarantee that the crazy Cyric will actually play the role allotted to him, or that Shar's involvement will remain secret, especially if the PCs get involved and uncover her plans...

I intend to keep things open-ended, so a number of end game situations are possible. The PCs foil the plan to defeat Cyric and then face off against an enraged Shar who moves against Selune directly. The PCs fail to prevent Cyric's release and must fight him directly. The PCs uncover the plans and go to the other gods to beg assistance. The PCs foil Cyric's release and blackmail Shar into inaction with the threat of revealing her plot to the other gods. Really those events are so far away that I'll worry about them nearer the time I think. I really like your suggestions though, and agree that in the course of the campaign they should uncover some weakness that gives them a fighting chance against a clearly superior foe.

As you say, the vast bulk of the campaign has no direct interaction with such powerful beings. It's more a multiple McGuffin hunt, with a ton of NPCs, organisations and incidental adventures along the way.

On the organisation front, so far I see possible interaction and conflict with:
- Blackfire Zealots
- Darkmoon monks
- Eldrath Veluuthra
- Harpers
- The Hand Behind the Mirror

George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  17:56:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds cool. I like the open-ended approach; players never want to feel railroaded into one presumed conclusion, or to suddenly have to pause the game because they've run off the edge of the world and the DM has to figure out how to get them back on track. The flexibility makes more work for the DM tho, because you have to script several possible "next steps" as the PCs approach forks in the road. Good luck to ya!

I like this list of organizations so far, because regardless of what the players might (think they) know about them their characters are unlikely to know anything about them. Even the Harpers... there are a lot of rumors about them but I don't see the average low-level adventurer knowing much of anything for certain about them. The others are even less well-known. Keep the characters in the dark as much as possible... it goes well with the Shar theme, too.
Go to Top of Page

carl.white
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  20:27:57  Show Profile Send carl.white a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for your input folks, it really helps to have people to bounce ideas off rather than just creating in isolation.

Here's one more you may be able to assist with.

One of the characters is a dwarf who's home was destroyed. We've decided he's from Earthfast, which was wiped out three years ago by The Hand Behind the Mirror. These Amnian mercenaries (he's now discovered) are based on the Moonshae Isle of Snowdown. He's off to ask some questions (though getting there may prove tougher than he anticipates).

The Hand Behind the Mirror were employed by the shadow dragon Umbraxix of Gloomwraught, with the purpose of stealing a magic item that languished in the dwarven treasure vaults. With the aid of this item Umbraxis was able to have his Blackfire Zealots destroy Fort Morninglord. This from the 4e campaign guide:

Its entire complement of paladins disappeared one night three years ago in an event that blackened every stone and fused every door and window of the keep. Fearing
contagion by the unknown evil that rendered the keep uninhabited, the High Observer sealed all visible entrances behind additional layers of stone and mortar, and proclaimed that anyone who broke this interdiction would become an outlaw of the land.

The question is this: what magic item could Umbraxis have stolen from the dwarven vaults that could have had that effect on the fort? It was obviously something potent enough that Umbraxis ordered all the dwarves slaughtered rather than risk anyone making the connection between the Earthfast attack and the Fort Morninglord one. So, what was it? I've drawn a bit of a blank so far. Any help welcome.

George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  20:51:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carl.white

Many thanks for your input folks, it really helps to have people to bounce ideas off rather than just creating in isolation.

Here's one more you may be able to assist with.

One of the characters is a dwarf who's home was destroyed. We've decided he's from Earthfast, which was wiped out three years ago by The Hand Behind the Mirror. These Amnian mercenaries (he's now discovered) are based on the Moonshae Isle of Snowdown. He's off to ask some questions (though getting there may prove tougher than he anticipates).

The Hand Behind the Mirror were employed by the shadow dragon Umbraxix of Gloomwraught, with the purpose of stealing a magic item that languished in the dwarven treasure vaults. With the aid of this item Umbraxis was able to have his Blackfire Zealots destroy Fort Morninglord. This from the 4e campaign guide:

Its entire complement of paladins disappeared one night three years ago in an event that blackened every stone and fused every door and window of the keep. Fearing
contagion by the unknown evil that rendered the keep uninhabited, the High Observer sealed all visible entrances behind additional layers of stone and mortar, and proclaimed that anyone who broke this interdiction would become an outlaw of the land.

The question is this: what magic item could Umbraxis have stolen from the dwarven vaults that could have had that effect on the fort? It was obviously something potent enough that Umbraxis ordered all the dwarves slaughtered rather than risk anyone making the connection between the Earthfast attack and the Fort Morninglord one. So, what was it? I've drawn a bit of a blank so far. Any help welcome.

It doesn't have to something that had to be kept secret. It could have been something sacred to the dwarves, something they'd fight to the last man to protect.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

carl.white
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  21:18:16  Show Profile Send carl.white a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair point. Something they'd fight to the death to protect, either because it's sacred to them, or because they fear the consequences of it being taken.

Here's a thought; in the decade preceding the theft of the magic item slaves in the Shadow Plane built, brick for brick, a replica of Fort Morninglord at the corresponding point to the original fort in the Prime. The magic item was then then stolen from the dwarves and used to swap Fort Morninglord and the Shadow Plane replica. The Blackfire zealots pulled off a transplanar heist, and the best part is the paladins of Elturgard don't even know their fort is missing.

So the magic item was something that could swap a section of the Prime and Shadow Plane. Is there anything you can think of that exists in Realms lore that could do that? I can make something up, but it would be nice to use something established.

George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  21:24:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there some dracolich near waterdeep that kidnapped an entire village into the shadow plane and some paladin went to kick his behind.

I think the dracolich took the entire village by some "unknown magic" so he might have had some kind of artefact to do so.

The dracolich I believe was called Umbralax and the village was Hespheira

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  16:13:11  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric Boyd gave us Hespheira, Umbralax, and the rod of Lathander, over on the FR mailing list back in 2003.

Rather than copy/paste, maybe it's cool if I just link it?
Go to Top of Page

carl.white
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  21:26:53  Show Profile Send carl.white a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh that's perfect guys, thank you!

How does this sound; At the time of the theft of Hespheira Umbralax was in possession of a powerful artifact, Shadraxil's Transumbral Oculum. This petrified dragon's eye was the left eye of Shadraxilhttp://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shadraxil, an ancient (and still to this day imprisoned) Shadow Dragon, and grandfather to Umbralax.

When Hespheira returned in 1136 it was as the result of a band of heroes braving the Shadow Plane, stealing the Oculum and triggering its power. This transported the village, along with its many occupants (Umbralax included) back to the Prime.

One of the members of this adventuring party was a young dwarf who would go on to become Ironlord Cie Mac Thurn, father of the legendary Torg Mac Cei http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Torg_mac_Cei.

Realising the tremendous destructive power of the Oculum, particularly in the wrong hands, and unable to destroy it, Cie brought it back to Earthfast and locked it away in his deepest vaults.

There it lay until the shadow dragon Umbraxis, son of Umbralax, turned his eye upon it. At great expense he hired the Hand Behind the Mirror to retrieve his ancestor's eye and progress Shar's foul plot. In the process he instructed his mercenaries to slaughter every last dwarf in Earthfast in revenge for the murder of his sire centuries before. Very draconic of him.

Umbraxis used the Oculum to steal the Black Iron Key from Fort Morninglord, and possesses it still. Who can say what destruction he will wreak come the next total lunar eclipse?

Shadaraxil's Transumbral Oculum
This petrified dragon's eye is over 18 inches in diameter, and looks like a globe of smoky glass. It has the following powers:
* When peered through on either the Shadow Plane or Prime Material Plane it reveals the corresponding area on the other plane.
* Once per day, during a total lunar eclipse on the Prime, when used as the divine focus of a Plane Shift spell it can transpose an area of the Shadow Plane viewed through the Oculum to the Prime. The corresponding area in the Prime is transposed back to the Shadow Plane. This area can be up to 1 square mile.

One other note; the link to Shadraxil is nice; the group's last campaign began with the Keep on the Shadowfell, and the closing of the portal that would have released the Shadowfell occupants. We weren't playing in the Realms for that game, but it's still a fun tie-in.

George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  22:19:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it!

Save for the name of the MacGuffin... I'd call it Shadraxil's Umbral Oculum, or maybe the Occulted Oculum, or maybe the Shrouded Orb... I'm just not a fan of "transumbral."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  03:07:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Wooly. Good stuff, and I like umbral oculum or shrouded orb (it likely has different names in the legends of different races) better than transumbral as well. Ed posted something recently I think about some Earth phrases/syllables that ring too strongly of our modern time/space, and trans- is on that list for me. But that's just personal taste.

I like your effort to tie the story to already-existing lore. Creating new stuff is fun too, and always an option, but it's helpful (and can increase player investment in the story) to use items that are already described or hinted at elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000