Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 would this be effective?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  04:44:37  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What if we all petitioned to Bethesda studios to make a forgotten realms game. A map containing everything from ice wind Dale to calimport and the sword coast islands.

Basically same graphics engine as skyrim or their latest one.

A petition would let them know what people Want.

What say you?

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  05:12:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's certainly no harm in trying.

However, given the complexities of licensing regarding the ownership of the FORGOTTEN REALMS intellectual property, I'd hazard thoughts that a significant amount of legal wrangling between Wizards and Bethesda, would likely need to be sorted out, first.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  07:18:05  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no doubt a number of legal issues would need to be worked out. The question is whether or not Bethesda wants to get in bed with Hasbro. They have a good thing going with the game lines they are running now and may not want to devote the resources such a game would require. Still, if there is money to be made...

Which begs the question: Would they do the setting justice? Graphics are nice, but would it look and feel like the Realms?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  11:18:57  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd wonder if Bethesda would even have any interest in doing a game in the FR.

Both The Elder Scrolls and Fallout are very big franchises that stand on their own. I just don't see Bethesda wanting to share a piece of the pie by licensing the use of the Forgotten Realms.

As for if they'd do the setting justice? My personal worries would actually be with the gameplay. Even after you get over the inevitable bugs in the bigger Bethesda games (did any of you guys go through playing Skyrim on a PS3?), combat in Skyrim was pretty bad. How I long for another game like the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 21 Aug 2014 11:19:35
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  11:26:18  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love a new FR (loved BG and NWN, I got into FR because of BG) game, but I preffer if it was done by Bioware rather than Bethesta, no offense to that company intended, it's just that they don't exactly seem suited for it from my perspective.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  13:05:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bethesda would be good, but after watching some of the latest trailers for Dragon Age Inquisition (looks absolutely gorgeous and awesome!), I'd have to vote BioWare for that one. They do better stories than Bethesda does IMO. The Realms is all about the story and I'd see BioWare rocking that.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  13:27:15  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bioware is pretty good on the writing/story aspect and better than Bethesda in that regard. Still, I don't think Bethesda's story would flop as they aren't half bad, IMO. I think Bioware does a better job at immersiveness though...which is a by-product of their writing as much as anything else.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  15:20:17  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we go to change.org?

Get the attention if bioware , Bethesda or Santa Monica ( god of war).

There has to be a game , I'm tired of living these stories in my head lol

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  15:26:50  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a huge fanbase for our version if the fantasy world.
We gave to get one if the studios to bid on the idea

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  05:39:14  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about you guys. But I long for the day when I can explore caves in frozen icewind dale, or travel the sword coast or barter with calimshites.

Santa Monica, Bethesda, or bioware?

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  00:01:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are ways for third parties to adhere to legal IP restrictions while still submitting non-canonical content. Thus we could see terms like "Based on the (name of official map product)" or "Based on the (name of Realms-branded CRPG)" or "Map of Faerun and Lands Beyond, circa 1360DR" which would not contradict existing WotC lore.

This alone is no guarantee that Bethesda Studios would be inclined to agree to such a project. It might entail a great amount of labour, depending on the availability of any map resources they may have already developed.

That being said, I'm all for it. More maps is always good!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000