Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Panel 1 & 2 (GenCon 2014)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  23:04:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the Promenade was a major power site of Ghaunadaur we just might see that. I wonder if we'll see Lolth too.

Edited by - Eilserus on 22 Aug 2014 23:13:13
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  23:15:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seriously doubt it (especially since they are talking about random dudes who came out of nowhere, rising to power and building four new temples), but I would totally love (and -honestly- be very surprised) to see an adventure which features Eilistraeens trying to take back their Promenade (possibly with some lore on what they and their goddess have been doing in the meanwhile, like the part that was cut from 4e Menzoberranzan).

I could do without Lolth, honestly (she had a whole encounter season dedicated to her in 4e, and even more screen time with Drizzt, again), but I can see some of her followers supporting Ghaunadaur's madmen in trying to eventually prevent her daughter's faith to rise again, or going on with whatever scheme she has in mind.

Either way, something like that needs to happen, because the plot looks weak now, and follows a scheme a bit too much similar to the one of ToD.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 22 Aug 2014 23:24:06
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  23:17:04  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I wonder if that primordial trapped in Gauntlgrym will be involved. I had the impression that thing was almost equal to a god though. So I dunno.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  09:12:24  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

In the second, there's a clarification of the prospect for fiction set before the current timeline: they aren't against it in principle, but for a while the slots are taken up by books tying into Tyranny of Dragons and its successors.

My Polish friends are already complaining that the all periods support seems to have gotten the axe and that we're back to RSE-RSE-more RSE.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nilonim
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  14:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Nilonim's Homepage Send Nilonim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Zireael, it sims that they are going in the opposite direction than what it was supposed in the 2013 gencon. Meh!
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  15:47:50  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect we'll get the usual RSEs we've always seen, just the results will be determined by the organized play populace, as much as a scripted adventure can be determined in that fashion (based on whatever scripted ending options are present in the adventure, with perhaps some wiggle room if enough of the organized play groups do something unscripted).

That's just wild speculation of course.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  16:53:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

In the second, there's a clarification of the prospect for fiction set before the current timeline: they aren't against it in principle, but for a while the slots are taken up by books tying into Tyranny of Dragons and its successors.

My Polish friends are already complaining that the all periods support seems to have gotten the axe and that we're back to RSE-RSE-more RSE.

It's unclear to me how this conclusion can be drawn from a module or two... That's literally all we have for the 5E Realms, so I don't see how we can assume that it means the promised support for all editions won't be forthcoming.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nilonim
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  18:27:26  Show Profile  Visit Nilonim's Homepage Send Nilonim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

It's unclear to me how this conclusion can be drawn from a module or two... That's literally all we have for the 5E Realms, so I don't see how we can assume that it means the promised support for all editions won't be forthcoming.

Maybe the lack of any other product other the adventure modules
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  19:01:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If they don't have the resources to handle more than 1 book/project at time, I really doubt that we'll see significant new lore about older eras. My thought is that the ''all editions'' support will likely come in the form of modules that can be used with any period of the FR with little modification (like the ones they're releasing in the future).

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Aug 2014 19:02:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  20:05:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nilonim

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe the lack of any other product other the adventure modules

But we know a campaign book is forthcoming. One cannot seriously expect a module to support multiple eras.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  20:18:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

If they don't have the resources to handle more than 1 book/project at time, I really doubt that we'll see significant new lore about older eras. My thought is that the ''all editions'' support will likely come in the form of modules that can be used with any period of the FR with little modification (like the ones they're releasing in the future).

I don't see how we can conclude that one team is incapable of generating lore for older eras as well as lore for new eras... Rich Baker turned out a lot of Realmslore, including Lost Empires of Faerűn. And look how much Ed has given us, about the past and present of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  21:06:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I truly hope so.

Forging the Realms articles are very good (and include lore about both past and present), but I was talking about advancement of plots left hanging in the previous eras, books and so on. They said that they are not opposed to it in principle, but there's a long way from that to being committed to releasing support for previous eras.

If they can handle 1 project at time with their resources, I guess that they'll dedicate those to detail the 5e FR, with some reference/hint to the past here and there.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  11:22:23  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pray to God that drow don't become more common on the surface. I want to go back to drow being feared and everyone not knowing a good drow named Drizzt exists.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  11:23:56  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not fun when products are written like novels and every drow you come across happens to be that rare drow that's good.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  11:36:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

It's not fun when products are written like novels and every drow you come across happens to be that rare drow that's good.

Having variety among drow obviously doesn't imply that. Having Eilistraee back wouldn't lead to that unless WotC wanted to overplay her and her followers.

On the other hand, a race who is fully one-note and ''hurr durr we r ebil and we kill each other cuz powah'' is equally stupid as having all drow being rebellious.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  16:49:59  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote foe a balance. We have the evil Lolthites, but we also have the Eilistraeens, Vhaeraunites (I know V is evil, but I have always had a fondness for him), and other "rebels". I like drow, as evil and as good.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  16:58:18  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If one wanted to have a combat heavy campaign that involved killing monsters then I suppose it would be fine to have the Drow be evil all the time. However, it has been established in some of the books that they do have a conscience and free will. Granted, many choose to do evil because they are fanatically devoted (mostly out of fear and lust for power/higher station) to Lolth. It is more complex and nuanced to have a variety of characters, some who do exhibit compassion/love/honesty, etc in addition to the many who are going to play the pragmatic game. Even in the most evil of societies, there are good people. Why not extend that to fantasy? To the Drow? They are still elves although their society puts them in the "monster" category. At least from the novel/lore part of the campaign, it makes more sense for there to be variety, including good characters (in addition to Drizzt). He can't be the ONLY one out there. That just wouldn't make much sense.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  17:11:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rapunzel77
He can't be the ONLY one out there. That just wouldn't make much sense.

Yes, that is just stupid. Even having like only 20 good drow out there would be stupid, especially after millennia of ideas spreading, people choosing different ways and so on. Sure different drow should be the narrow minority, they should be relatively unknown, treated with suspicion, opposed/hunted/feared/whatever anyway because of the reputation of their race, but you can't seriously say that after all the stuff that has happened, only Drizzt and a handful of dark elves have made different choices.

I'll paste what I wrote in another thread

On a side note, the stories I wish for are not necessarily Drizzt-like, more something along the lines of conventionally evil races being given some depth, ability to grow, change and evolve in lore featuring them, even as villains (which is not possible if you say 'they are innately X because god/magic/sheaningans period').

Personally, more Drizzt's is not really the example of what I'd like to see. Sure, he can be an interesting character, but as I've already said, adding 1 super-dude over 10000000 doesn't add much variety to a setting, even more so if this super-dude decides to go 'screw my people' mode. Variations like Many Arrows, Eilistraeens/Vhaerunites bring concrete depth and are way more 'realistic' -so to speak- than having just 1 over so many: ideas are born someway, they spread, some people see that they lead to a better life, they embrace and support it, while others (a lot more others, considering the situation of races like orcs and drow) don't. The ones who do could band together, work/fight to achieve and build something for them or/and their race (which is the battle that E&V fight and makes them different from the drow who choose to simply stay away from their people).

Edited by - Irennan on 27 Aug 2014 17:19:40
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  00:16:19  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget that even drow who don't worship Lolth still may worship Vhaeraun, Ghaunadar (probably spelled it wrong), or even no deity at all and still be evil. The underdark is a dangerous place and so are the cities. They are full of vicious predators who would kill you if given the chance. The reputation of the evil drow have been around for a very very long time and I believe that would still rule over the few exceptions to the rule drow.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  01:00:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let's not forget that even drow who don't worship Lolth still may worship Vhaeraun, Ghaunadar (probably spelled it wrong), or even no deity at all and still be evil. The underdark is a dangerous place and so are the cities. They are full of vicious predators who would kill you if given the chance. The reputation of the evil drow have been around for a very very long time and I believe that would still rule over the few exceptions to the rule drow.

Of course the ''good'' drow should be a narrow minority (and their reputation overshadowed by the actions of the rest of their kin), and -even if the focus on them in the past may have led some people to think the contrary- they have always been. You named Vhaeraun, Ghaunadaur and ''godless'' drow, but really, why exclude Eilistraee from the picture? I've already talked a lot about this in other topics so I won't repeat myself, but she is not an excuse for Drizzt clones character (people who play them don't need an excuse, btw), far from it. Her theme and goal are drastically different from that and her concept unique, flavorful and neatly defined. Furthermore she is part of Ed's original vision of the world (she was in his campaign even before TSR's request) and is iconic to the FR drow. She totally deserves to be in the 5e era, together with Vhaeraun.

Btw, in the 5e PHB it is said that drow who seek to escape from their society look up to Drizzt as inspiration. Is having only a bunch of exiles trying to escape really preferable to also have a (albeit small) faction of people who try to actually change something for their race (E's followers)?

Edited by - Irennan on 28 Aug 2014 01:13:42
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  02:17:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Btw, in the 5e PHB it is said that drow who seek to escape from their society look up to Drizzt as inspiration. Is having only a bunch of exiles trying to escape really preferable to also have a (albeit small) faction of people who try to actually change something for their race (E's followers)?

I'm intrigued as to how, in game, a drow of the Underdark would know anything of Drizzt and how he could prove to be an "inspiration" to anyone living there. Maybe they have the 'monsternet' in Faerun and they just Boogle him.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  02:34:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Idk, especially since he (AFAIK) doesn't really care about encouraging other drow to choose a different path, which is what Eilistraee does. It would have made way more sense if they mentioned her, since they really wanted to give a ''model'' (this is the word used in the book IIRC), but hey: both she and her brother don't seem to exist beyond having been defeated by Lolth in WotC's mind...

Edited by - Irennan on 28 Aug 2014 02:43:17
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  08:00:23  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Of course the ''good'' drow should be a narrow minority (and their reputation overshadowed by the actions of the rest of their kin), and -even if the focus on them in the past may have led some people to think the contrary- they have always been. You named Vhaeraun, Ghaunadaur and ''godless'' drow, but really, why exclude Eilistraee from the picture? I've already talked a lot about this in other topics so I won't repeat myself, but she is not an excuse for Drizzt clones character (people who play them don't need an excuse, btw), far from it. Her theme and goal are drastically different from that and her concept unique, flavorful and neatly defined. Furthermore she is part of Ed's original vision of the world (she was in his campaign even before TSR's request) and is iconic to the FR drow. She totally deserves to be in the 5e era, together with Vhaeraun.

I didn't list Elis because I was only listing those with evil influence. The Drizzt influence has really gotten out of hand. This is what happens when something becomes a cash cow. Wizards believes they need to incorporate Drizzt more in order to sell more novels. Reminds me of the last Superman movie and the constant frequency of the ads and how obvious it was. I'm sorry but the Realms are massive and since TV and the Internet don't exist, not everyone is going to be aware of his celebrity status. I have this sinking feeling they are going to run it into the ground, hell even the new PHB uses a picture of Drizzt to represent elves in general.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  09:03:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't list Elis because I was only listing those with evil influence. The Drizzt influence has really gotten out of hand. This is what happens when something becomes a cash cow. Wizards believes they need to incorporate Drizzt more in order to sell more novels. Reminds me of the last Superman movie and the constant frequency of the ads and how obvious it was. I'm sorry but the Realms are massive and since TV and the Internet don't exist, not everyone is going to be aware of his celebrity status. I have this sinking feeling they are going to run it into the ground, hell even the new PHB uses a picture of Drizzt to represent elves in general.

Yeah, as I stated before, I didn't like what they said about Drizzt as a model for most ''exception to the rule'' drow too. It just doesn't make much sense, especially with the presence of Eilistraee and with how Drizzt really doesn't care to do what her followers do. It also is my impression -and fear- that they are going to keep ignoring the Dark Maiden and any other kind of independent drow, because they would make Drizzt look less of a ''special snowflake'' in their readers' eyes, which would just be stupid and a total waste.

Anyway, my point is that Eilistraee's followers, or ''unlinked'' goodly dark elves, are indeed a valid part of the FR and should be included in the new iteration of the setting, but as a niche. The fact that some people at WotC thought it was a good idea to focus on them in the past doesn't diminish their value, and doesn't mean that it is right to remove them just to shift the focus.

Edited by - Irennan on 28 Aug 2014 09:29:32
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  14:30:19  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things stood out for me after hearing both panels.

1. The term unreliable narrator was used far too much. From a gaming point of view i can see where it makes sense, the bad guy was thought to have been killed but was he? etc. Good for plot hooks for home games. I don't play and only read the novels so I hope that its not a case of every major bad guy might not be dead. It makes me think whats the point of the story if they just use the unreliable narrator excuse to bring them back at some future date. Ed even implied that telamont might not be gone forever.
Sometimes dead should mean dead!

2. Bob talked about getting the old realms feeling back (yay!) and how he wants the good guys to win. Its always been a bugbear of mine that wotc and tsr never found a balance between good guys and bad guys winning. Everything up to 4e was the typical fantasy good beats bad. 4e was darker and bad guys did better but were ultimately defeated.

Surely a more realistic (ha!) take on the 5e realms would be more welcome. I sometimes want the bad guys to win, I just wish they were given a fair chance to do so.

Edited by - Arcanus on 28 Aug 2014 14:33:38
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  17:12:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Codex of Salvatore is a set of tomes much loved by the teenage drow of Menzoberranzan.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I'm intrigued as to how, in game, a drow of the Underdark would know anything of Drizzt and how he could prove to be an "inspiration" to anyone living there. Maybe they have the 'monsternet' in Faerun and they just Boogle him.

-- George Krashos

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  17:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Idk, especially since he (AFAIK) doesn't really care about encouraging other drow to choose a different path, which is what Eilistraee does. It would have made way more sense if they mentioned her, since they really wanted to give a ''model'' (this is the word used in the book IIRC), but hey: both she and her brother don't seem to exist beyond having been defeated by Lolth in WotC's mind...

Eilistraee followers would have been a better choice than Drizzt IMHO.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  18:19:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Eilistraee followers would have been a better choice than Drizzt IMHO.

Ikr, it's part of what they fight for. But -as i said- to me it's almost like WotC doesn't care to acknowledge Eilistraee's existence, or wants to replace her with Drizzt, -something that he really can't do as a character, having a deeply different concept in the niche of ''good'' drow-.

Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  21:57:05  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Drizzt but there are other possibly good drow out there and it would be nice to have some stories with them. It would be an interesting change if Drizzt did start caring for the rest of his people by adopting some of Eilistraee's tenets but that is probably VERY unlikely.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  22:03:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Eilistraee's dead in my campaign. The Masked Lady is alive and she is a kickass intermediate goddess able to actually resist Lolth rather than hide in the shadows like E+V did.

I'm going to move towards a holy war between Lolth and the Masked Lady as they fight for worshippers. Lolth wants female supremacy and the status quo whereas the Masked Lady doesn't care as long as they are drow, they can be good, evil, male, female, drider, half drow, anything drow.

Of course im still pre spellplague

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site