Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Panel 1 & 2 (GenCon 2014)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  04:12:09  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Forgotten Realms Panel 1 & 2 (GenCon 2014)
This is a recording of the Storytelling in the Realms panel hosted by Wizards of the Coast at GenCon 2014. This panel features Mike Mearls (Senior Manager of R&D for WotC), Jim Zub (author of new D&D comic), Erin M. Evans (Forgotten Realms Author), R.A. Salvatore (Forgotten Realms Author), and Ed Greenwood (Forgotten Realms creator).

http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/forgotten-realms-panel-1-gencon-2014/

http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/forgotten-realms-panel-2-gencon-2014/

Yan
Playtester

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  04:20:46  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much. I'll be watching these babies tomorrow! :)
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  07:38:23  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything of note said in them?
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  22:05:00  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still listening to this panel. Good stuff. :)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  04:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the second, there's a clarification of the prospect for fiction set before the current timeline: they aren't against it in principle, but for a while the slots are taken up by books tying into Tyranny of Dragons and its successors.
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  04:48:36  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really glad the Tome show people put these up. It makes for interesting listening...the news about the Minsk comic was new to me and I'm excited for that!

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  07:40:04  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going to ask to ahve someone tell me what was said it them. Dont have the patience to sit through that...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  15:06:09  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

In the second, there's a clarification of the prospect for fiction set before the current timeline: they aren't against it in principle, but for a while the slots are taken up by books tying into Tyranny of Dragons and its successors.

So they do intend to publish novels tied to Tyranny of Dragons and other big adventures? Great!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  16:31:23  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I understand, they already have ideas or plans for the next adventure line after Tyranny. I would assume due to development lead time, it's already being designed.

Edited by - Eilserus on 19 Aug 2014 16:31:57
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  16:43:05  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct, Kobold Press (specifically Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter) are working to complete the next adventure (it may already be done, actually).
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  23:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Correct, Kobold Press (specifically Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter) are working to complete the next adventure (it may already be done, actually).

I bet the main antagonists are going to be either drow or fiends. If that's the case, I really wish it will be the latter. Or the Zhentarim. Drow had their day in the City of the Spider Queen adventure and the six-book War of the Spider Queen series, and now Salvatore has brought them back as the main antagonists of his series. For me, that's quite enough.

On the other hand, Salvatore's series might be used as the prelude to a drow-themed adventure...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  23:19:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

quote:

I bet the main antagonists are going to be either drow or fiends. If that's the case, I really wish it will be the latter. Or the Zhentarim. Drow had their day in the City of the Spider Queen adventure and the six-book War of the Spider Queen series, and now Salvatore has brought them back as the main antagonists of his series. For me, that's quite enough.

On the other hand, Salvatore's series might be used as the prelude to a drow-themed adventure...

Not to mention that they got that Rise of the Underdark thingy in 4e. On the other hand, if a drow adventure is used as a way to get Eilistraee, Vhaeraun and the Dark Seldarine back in action, then I'm all for it. Those deities and their followers got trashed and then completely ignored since then, and it's a total waste.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 19 Aug 2014 23:21:57
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  00:45:59  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping (and guessing) the next adventure line is in the Cormyr/Dales to Moonsea area. Wouldn't mind seeing The Vast either though. I'd like to see them cover entirely new geographical areas with each line. I'm a sucker for an orc horde, so maybe The North might be a fun one too.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  00:50:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

quote:

Not to mention that they got that Rise of the Underdark thingy in 4e. On the other hand, if a drow adventure is used as a way to get Eilistraee, Vhaeraun and the Dark Seldarine back in action, then I'm all for it. Those deities and their followers got trashed and then completely ignored since then, and it's a total waste.

As long as we see a city or cities we haven't been to before. With the gods supposedly coming back, makes a person wonder if Zinzerena is back. If I recall Lolth supposedly slew or drove her away at one point.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  01:01:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lolth killed her during the Avatar Crisis IIRC. I wouldn't mind her back (even tho they didn't really do anything with her. Ibrandul has got very little too and even he is on his way back), but -IMO- E&V, the two deities at the core of the DS with Lolth, should be back in action before her (and the faction system would work perfectly with those two opposing their mother). Selvetarm could make for interesting plots too, if not loyal to Lolth.

Anyway, OT.

Edited by - Irennan on 20 Aug 2014 01:01:59
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  05:58:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you on Eilistraee--and Vhaeraun, for that matter. I wouldn't mind seeing more drow stories, as I like drow. I just don't want them to be all Lolthites. I want to see some Es and Vs again. I'll watch these videos in a day so. I'm too tired right now.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  14:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Now that I think on it, I wouldn't mind seeing a massive drow-themed adventure that focused on the return of the other drow deities, and/or Lolth finally getting several well-deserved kicks to her rear end.

In any case, I hope the next big adventure is set somewhere other than the North, the Sword Coast, Cormyr or the Dales. I understand that those areas are popular, but I'd love to explore new places in a big adventure. It seems to me that other regions of the Realms are in a catch-22 situation: they don't get featured as much as the regions I listed because they're not as popular, but how can they become popular if they don't get much exposure? IMO a good way to improve the popularity of a heretofore little-featured region would be to feature it in a big adventure that lots of people will play and hopefully have fond memories of.
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  16:40:58  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I'm with you on Eilistraee--and Vhaeraun, for that matter. I wouldn't mind seeing more drow stories, as I like drow. I just don't want them to be all Lolthites. I want to see some Es and Vs again. I'll watch these videos in a day so. I'm too tired right now.

I agree. I enjoy reading Drow stories but it is a bit boring to have all of them be Lolthites. They seem too one note. I want to see Eilistraee and Vhaeraun come back. Having more depth and variety of drow is more fun. It just doesn't make sense for ALL of them to be evil (with the exception of Drizzt). Its just not fun. I like a struggle within the society and a good way to do that is to introduce characters who are not necessarily evil (ie. they actually have a heart and a conscience) but struggle with the society (like Zaknafein for instance who was not actually evil or even Jarlaxle who I don't consider completely evil). Hopefully we can get more stories like that and I definitely agree that Lolth needs to be cut down to size.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  16:42:42  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly!

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  18:20:14  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like drow. I'm working on two drow characters who worship the Masked Lady. But I think the drow have received enough coverage over the years. I'd like to see dwarves and (especially) gnomes and halflings covered a bit more. Tbh, I actually prefer drow to remain the stuff of nightmares they once were in the old 1e days of the game/setting.

I also want to see more coverage outside the North & Waterdeep, Cormyr & the Dales, and the Sword Coast. Bring me more Thay, Chessenta, Unther, Mulhorand, Amn, Tethyr, Calimshan, Border Kingdoms, a returned Luiren, Halruaa and Nimbral etcetcetcetcetc. I'm in total agreement with Krafus.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  18:30:41  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I like drow. I'm working on two drow characters who worship the Masked Lady. But I think the drow have received enough coverage over the years. I'd like to see dwarves and (especially) gnomes and halflings covered a bit more. Tbh, I actually prefer drow to remain the stuff of nightmares they once were in the old 1e days of the game/setting.

I also want to see more coverage outside the North & Waterdeep, Cormyr & the Dales, and the Sword Coast. Bring me more Thay, Chessenta, Unther, Mulhorand, Amn, Tethyr, Calimshan, Border Kingdoms, a returned Luiren, Halruaa and Nimbral etcetcetcetcetc. I'm in total agreement with Krafus.

I'd love to see more coverage of these other lands as well. I guess its because I have approached the Forgotten Realms through the novels (I haven't had the chance to play the game) so I'm seeing it from a literary perspective. Perhaps this is more of a both/and situation ie. have more coverage of other lands and peoples (I would enjoy that) and give the Drow more depth. Since we have more detail about them due to Drizzt, etc it is more difficult for them to go back to being nightmares. I'd prefer an internal struggle for freedom/justice for the oppressed, etc and a variety of drow. If they are to be considered a race with free will then it makes more sense for them to have choices and a variety of alignments. If one wants them to be just monsters then I understand depicting them as the stuff of nightmares. Both/and would be good though which also brings up the issue concerning source books and novels. More authors would help bring these other lands and peoples to light.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  18:33:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I think most people want to see new areas/cities covered. However, that doesn't mean that drow should stay the parodical, one-note ''ebil'' race that they are now. Eilistraee and Vhaeraun have been part of the Realmsian drow since the beginning (Eilistraee -at least, maybe Vhaeraun too- was part of Ed's Realms even before TSR commissioned such a deity), they are iconic to the dark elves in this setting and greatly enrich them.

Now, I'm not saying that WotC should focus on the drow or anything, but something to show E&V's returning and their followers acting again -even diminished in influence- is needed. They made such a mess just to get rid of those two to fit their design stance and then completely ignored them, it's basically if as they never existed beyond the fact of being defeated by Lolth.

Also, drow can no longer be ''mysterious'' as in the past. They have been explored in most aspects, if anything E&V would add needed mystery and variety to them (and they wouldn't even require Lolth or 'classic' drow to be featured, as their goal/actions are also aimed towards dark elves creating their place in the world)...

EDIT: yeah, basically what Rapunzel said

Edited by - Irennan on 20 Aug 2014 18:39:28
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  18:43:58  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also with Repunzel (I too mainly read the novels), and Irennan.

Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  18:49:31  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly Irennan. Perhaps part of the problem is that any novel/adventure with Drow inevitably focuses on the nobles. There is only one character I read about that wasn't a noble although he ended up a Master of Melee Magthere named Ryld. He had a different perspective on Drow life and an interesting background. Unfortunately, the poor guy was killed along with another fun character (Pharaun, although he was a noble) which was a wasted opportunity. So it is possible that the constant focus on the nobility has limited the kinds of stories/adventures one could have with the Drow, thus making them more boring for some. Perhaps a shift in focus to the commoners, the Vhaeraunites, and Eilistraens could add extra variety of stories in addition to having more adventures/novels set in other parts of Faerun.

Edited by - rapunzel77 on 20 Aug 2014 18:54:47
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  18:55:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved Ryld and Phaeraun. Poor guy got the short end of the stick. He was brought back in a follow-up seeies, only to be killed again. I would love to see more Valas Hune, too.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  19:25:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about Ryld, but it is entirely possible Phaeraun was raised/resurrected. If you recall the last you hear of him is that what remains of him is being gathered up for some purpose. Now, its just as likely that the purpose was something else - but why not bring back a fun character :)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  19:28:37  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I for one hope they quickly move from "aren't against it in principle" to very much in favor of it. Almost all of the Realms' characters that had a story arc of more than one novel were just cut off. I'd love to see more of my old favorites in print.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  19:33:14  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I don't know about Ryld, but it is entirely possible Phaeraun was raised/resurrected. If you recall the last you hear of him is that what remains of him is being gathered up for some purpose. Now, its just as likely that the purpose was something else - but why not bring back a fun character :)

He was resurrected in the Empryean Odyssey, but then was killed again, in a rather anticlimactic way, IMO. I don't remember pieces of him being gathered for a purpose, unless you count his finger Aliiza had, which she used to resurrect him.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  21:03:14  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone wondering, the next adventure scheduled after ToD is ''Princes of the Apocalypse'', some Elemental Evil related event.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1846-Sasquatch-Studios-Will-Produce-ADVENTURER-s-HANDBOOK-and-PRINCES-OF-THE-APOCALYPSE-for-D-D-5E-in-2015!#.U_I8G_l_uwk

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  22:31:28  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well the Elder Elemental Eye is Ghaunadaur in the Realms so maybe it won't be so bad. I know it was a classic, but it was a little bit before my time and I never did get into the Temple of Elemental Evil.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  22:35:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My complaint is that these adventures seem to be written following a fixed script: Some madmen are trying to use a number of artifacts to bring forth some ancient evil that will destroy the world. Adventurers must steal the artifacts and kill them.

Nonetheless, since the Promenade was built to stop Ghaunadaur in his attempt to invade Toril from the Undermountain, maybe we'll get to see Eilistraeens in action, or more about the deeper levels of the dungeon. However I very much doubt it.

Edited by - Irennan on 22 Aug 2014 22:41:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000