Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Best map for a poster sized framed Realms map?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  00:50:47  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I want to get a very large (poster sized) and detailed map to hang in our gaming room so we can refer to it whilst we play.

I play 3.5 edition, but would take an older map if need be. I'm most interested in the Sword Coast North and Silver Marches areas.

Have any of you done this? Which map did you use? I'm assuming it needs to be very high resolution?

I'd love one of Markustay's maps with all the detailed locations on it....and I would pay gladly for such.

Any suggestions? I'm sure I'm not the first. How did it work out for you?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  02:34:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://img710.yfrog.com/img710/5359/northwest.jpg

Also, check this forum link
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13515&whichpage=2

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  03:44:44  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen Rob's maps. I love them. However, I would need to get my hands on a full size, high rez version. I will see how it looks zoomed up.
Go to Top of Page

Akantor
Acolyte

France
24 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  07:22:19  Show Profile  Visit Akantor's Homepage Send Akantor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay's? He has some really nice detailed local maps, may be you'll find what you're searching.

English is not my primary language so forgive me for any mistake, I do my best (and spend skill point at my next level)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  07:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might also want to check ebay and see if you can get yourself a copy of the Forgotten Realms Trail Map. That thing is huge, maybe eight feel tall and four wide, but covers just about everything. I've been thinking of getting mine framed at some point. Unfortunately, it's being shipped right now, so I can't give you a better idea of dimensions and coverage.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  11:28:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

You might also want to check ebay and see if you can get yourself a copy of the Forgotten Realms Trail Map. That thing is huge, maybe eight feel tall and four wide, but covers just about everything. I've been thinking of getting mine framed at some point. Unfortunately, it's being shipped right now, so I can't give you a better idea of dimensions and coverage.

If she's wanting a detailed map of the north, that one would be dated and sparsely detailed.

If you're wanting a better resolution. Try downloading Rob's world map. Its in TIF format and huge, so it shouldn't lose any clarity by being switched to JPEG. When I cut and paste from there and paste it what I'd consider the NW, it wants to print on 9 - 8.5x11 landscape sheets of paper (though admittedly most fits on 4 sheets, so probably it would fit on a 16x24 or nearabout size.... admittedly, not poster size, but big enough for a reference).

http://www.4shared.com/get/c42WYOuice/TorilMap.html

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  00:58:35  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can you expand on what this trail map is? I've seen the Waterdeep trail map but I haven't seen one for the whole Realms. Google image search turned up nothing. I already have the Waterdeep City System.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:30:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:

Can you expand on what this trail map is? I've seen the Waterdeep trail map but I haven't seen one for the whole Realms. Google image search turned up nothing. I already have the Waterdeep City System.

There are two FR trail maps -- the Waterdeep one and a Kara-Tur one.

Gale Force 9 did a big map a couple years back. It's the 4E version, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Aug 2014 20:10:31
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  19:45:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I advise staying away from 4shared completely

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  19:28:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalor why do you advise avoiding 4share? I ask because if Sleyvas says it's safe (which I infer it is if he's providing the link) then that's usually good enough for me.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  22:33:58  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Massive 3e map: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120201174035/forgottenrealms/images/1/10/Map_-_Faerun_-_3E.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  03:02:01  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Massive 3e map: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120201174035/forgottenrealms/images/1/10/Map_-_Faerun_-_3E.jpg

Thank you sir!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  03:03:00  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Dalor why do you advise avoiding 4share? I ask because if Sleyvas says it's safe (which I infer it is if he's providing the link) then that's usually good enough for me.

4shared can gift you with some nasty adware/malware if you're not extremely careful. It also requires you to log in with some kind of account, thereby getting your Google+/Facebook/Etc information.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  07:21:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4shared pushes the envelope of "safe" is all. If you aren't very careful, you can get infected or (worse to me) you can be illegally downloading something that should be paid for.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  08:21:48  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah thanks. I'm glad I saw your cautionary comment before I attempted to download anything. I'll avoid them. Cheers.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000