Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Political state of the realms ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Drexlorn
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  02:29:10  Show Profile Send Drexlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings everyone !

Newcomer here planning on running a FR campaign soon. I still didn't peruse all the huge content of this forum and after a quick search i didn't find the anwer i'm looking for and which is quite getting me puzzled... Even a google search was not efficient.

The question is simple: what is the political situation and state of all the countries/state/territories of Faerun ? Which ones are at war ? How is the political tension between the people of the continent ?

So far it looks like everyone is happy, friendly and dwelling in candyland. A quick comparaison with old Greyhawk and you see quite the contrast !

Please enlighten me and do pardon my ignorance as a young FR padawan. :)

Thank you kindly.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  02:56:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The basic problem you pose is what year you are seeking to start play.

There certainly however are always some conflicts and wars. I am not certain right now what even the current year is.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Drexlorn
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  04:00:34  Show Profile Send Drexlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh yes, i forgot and that's important !

It's at the beginning of the 2E AD&D material. In the boxed set it mention year 1367 just ending and the year about to start is the year of the Banner which is 1368.

So 1368 it is ! :D
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  06:49:46  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things you're likely to enjoy the most about this time period are the events going on in Tethyr.

Information on current events in Tethyr.

Big things are happening right now in Tethyr. The country is starting to emerge out of decades of bloody civil war and conflict in which most of it's nobility was forced to flee or was killed in peasant uprisings. The previous year (1367 DR) saw the rise of Zaranda Star, who is being put forward as the future Queen of Tethyr. She is very popular at the moment and is gaining support, but she is not yet fully recognized by all of Tethyr.

More on Zaranda Star.

Your group has the ability to influence these events. Canonically Zaranda goes on to become Queen, but this does not have to happen. There are many people who would be interested in seeing her stopped.

Some interesting players of note that may come up in such a campaign...

The Twisted Rune is an organization that has it's fingers in all the major events taking place in the Lands of Intrigue.

The Harpers is another group that will want to shape events as they unfold - they are viewed as constant meddlers.

The Zhentarim is yet another group that will want to shape events as they unfold - like the Harpers they are constant meddlers. While they may have a role to play here covertly, they are pretty far from their major centers of influence.

Shoon VII is one of the most powerful wizards to ever walk Faerun, the former ruler of an empire that once included the land known as Tethyr, and former demilich was accidentally freed from his imprisonment during the Time of Troubles. He now inhabits the body of a young elven woman named Zallanora Agentresses, who is a member of the Cowled Wizards.

The Eldreth Veluuthra are operating out of the Wealdath these Elves surely have not forgotten the mistreatment of their people at the hands of humans.

The Champions Vigilant is an important, influential, and popular group of Helmites in the region. They provided an oasis of stability during the chaos, and they have military arms.

The Holy Warriors of Suffering is a Paladin order that serves Ilmater that is on the decline. They may have a role to play in the unfolding politics.

The Knights of the Shield have influence in Tethyr and are not going to sit on their hands while these events unfold. There could easily be an underground and covert conflict between the servants of Gargauth and the cult of Siamorphe.

The Star Protective Services is the would be Queen's own personal mercenary company. Their loyalty is pretty much set, but they will be influential nonetheless.

The Order of the Silver Chalice is the only knightly order to serve Siamorphe, goddess of nobility. They will be VERY interested in shaping events as they unfold in Tethyr, and will fight to ensure that the former nobility are restored and their right to rule is protected.

Calimshan has obvious geo-political interests in what happens in Tethyr.

Amn also has geo-political interests in what happens in Tethyr.

And finally, perhaps most importantly, it's during this year that the Bhaalspawn Crisis begins eventually leading the Bhaalspawn to Saradush in Tethyr. These are the events that were told in the popular Baldur's Gate video games.

You have so much to work with here... right now, if you want to know about the most interesting place in the Realms - it's Tethyr. Don't feel constrained by canon. Use what you like, disregard the rest, add your own spin to things. There is so much you can do right now in Tethyr and the Lands of Intrigue (which make up Tethyr, Calimshan, and Amn.

I highly recommend that you set your game in Tethyr if you're looking for a place with a high degree of conflict. If you have specific questions, let us know.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  12:07:57  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is always Chessenta as well. There is near constant warfare (albeit rather localized between 2 or 3 city-states at a time).

There is also the Border Kingdoms which typically change hands with astonishing speed.

Don't forget troubles brewing in Unther and later between Unther and Mulhorand.

Aldrick is correct IMO though. The most interesting place in regards to your question is really Tethyr.

If what you're looking for are major wars between nations you don't really get much of that in the Realms for some reason. Perhaps it's because there's always the threat of an orc horde or rampaging dragon or (gasp!) adventurers upsetting the status quo.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Drexlorn
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  14:48:39  Show Profile Send Drexlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My plans were to establish the campaign in Cormyr, i like the idea of a strong monarchy and a land well-ruled. Also it's the closest i've found in the arthurian theme. What about politics involving Cormyr?

Edited by - Drexlorn on 13 Aug 2014 14:49:47
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  15:06:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many years have you got to read about the politics in Cormyr.

Being one of the more detailed areas of the realms, the politics in Cormyr are quite complex and intricate (if you want them to be).

And again depending on the date it can change a lot.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  21:33:11  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drexlorn

My plans were to establish the campaign in Cormyr, i like the idea of a strong monarchy and a land well-ruled. Also it's the closest i've found in the arthurian theme. What about politics involving Cormyr?

Well, right now in the timeline you put forward (1368 DR), there really isn't a lot going on in Cormyr in terms of geo-politics. There are always things going on down below the surface, but as a consequence of being - as you put it - "a land well-ruled" it doesn't really have a lot of overt conflict. The conflict that it does have is very localized, and isn't really on a nation-state level.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't create conflict, and you should if you want it. However, canonically, there just isn't a lot going on in terms of major conflicts in the region.

Up further north there is conflict going on involving the Zhentarim, and Zhentil Keep ends up being ravaged and sacked at the very end of 1368 DR. However, that would only create more stability for Cormyr as they have an antagonistic relationship with the Zhents, and as a consequence they do not have a seriously threatening presence in Cormyr. (Certainly they have undercover agents there who act as spies, but nothing that is seriously threatening. ...and the Zhents are about to experience a major upheaval, which will throw all of that in disarray.)

In 1369 DR there is an attempt on Azoun IV's life, however, due to it being a "well-ruled" country it isn't that threatening to lose the king. Short of wiping out the royal family and taking out the top leadership of the War Wizards, Cormyr is going to remain pretty stable.

I'm assuming you wanted something big to work with, since you were asking about the political situations of the countries and territories of Faerun. For something like that which is actively going on in canon in 1368 DR, you really have to look to a place like Tethyr.

And I'm not sure if you know, but Tethyr is (or was) a feudal society with a monarchy. Zaranda Star is put forward as a good individual who honestly cares about the people of Tethyr, wants to rule the country well, and she's trying to earn the popular support of the people. She is sort of going an Arthurian-like route.

However, if you want a strong, well-ruled, stable country with a monarchy and Arthurian theme - then yeah, Cormyr is a great choice. If that's the case though, I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly.

I think the best question to ask you is what type of story are you trying to create? What type of campaign do you want to run? Just give a broad outline of what you want to do, and either someone else here on the forums or myself can point you in the right direction or help you create it. What type of story are you looking to tell?

Edited by - Aldrick on 13 Aug 2014 21:33:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  22:34:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

I think the best question to ask you is what type of story are you trying to create? What type of campaign do you want to run? Just give a broad outline of what you want to do, and either someone else here on the forums or myself can point you in the right direction or help you create it. What type of story are you looking to tell?

Indeed.

Additionally, a lot of political situations are manipulated by non-political groups, such as merchants, wizards' cabals, some racial groups, some churches, and even active or retired adventurers.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Aug 2014 22:35:27
Go to Top of Page

Drexlorn
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  03:23:47  Show Profile Send Drexlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact the less is happening the better it is because i really want to create a sandbox campaign in which the players will choose/create their own adventures.

My political question was just out of curiosity, i could choose to ignore these events in my campaign since i don't even plan to follow a rigid canon, perhaps just using it for ideas.

Finally, my choice of setting fell on the FR because i have a lot of material already and having a lot of job done. :)

What i'll keep as is : geography, civilizations, pantheon, factions.

What is subject to change: timeline, futur history, some npcs...

Greyhawk was my first choice but i had too much to create, it's too fa r in the "create it zone". FR are perhaps too far in the opposite but i didn't find a middle road. :D

Thanks for the answers so far.

P.S. I'm waiting for the Cormyr accessory in the mail from ebay, that will be useful !
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  05:20:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should also look for a copy of Volo's Guide to Cormyr for a great boots on the ground look at the kingdom.

Go to Top of Page

Drexlorn
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  15:25:15  Show Profile Send Drexlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Already have it! Nice book indeed! :)
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  21:51:33  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If that's the case, then Cormyr is indeed an ideal location for your game. I'd consider focusing the beginning of the campaign either near Arabel or Eveningstar.

The choice of starting location depends on whether your group wants to have a more urban base of operations or a more rural base of operations. In either case, both areas are good.

One of the issues you can run into with the Realms is getting overwhelmed by the lore. This is why I recommend focusing on a single location, and you can expand your knowledge out from there as necessary.

When dealing with Cormyr you're going to want to know about the Laws of Cormyr, the Purple Dragons, and the War Wizards. It also helps to have a basic overview of Cormyr, which can be found here on this page.

For more detailed information beyond the wiki, I recommend using the references at the bottom of the page. The wiki is insanely useful to that end, as it will help you find the information you're looking for quickly if you use the references at the bottom. Sometimes the information you can be looking for will be scattered across multiple source books which can be a major headache.

Finally, to make your sandbox campaign work best I would highly recommend everyone creating characters together at the table. Discuss Cormyr with them in general overtones, and get a feel for what type of campaign they're looking to play.

Once you get a general idea of the type of campaign they want to play, connect them to an organization or a group. Just as an example, in Cormyr a noble family would be very easy to connect them to either as direct members or individuals employed by the family. However, they could also be connected to the Harpers or the Zhentarim as both groups have an interest in Cormyr.

Connecting them to an organization or a group is going to give them a tangible connection to the world. It's going to provide a ready made reason for the group to be working together, it's going to serve as a source of conflict generation, and it's going to color the tone and path that the game takes moving forward.

One of the big benefits to connecting them to a group is that sandbox games can sometimes have a tendency to hit lull periods, where the conflict in the story is very low. A group or organization that has goals and a mission is going to have built in conflict, and it's going to connect the players to a diverse range of NPC's. In fact, it's going to help you know the NPC's you're going to need right out of the gate.

So, once your group has made these decisions then it's time to generate characters. One of the reasons I think it's important to generate characters together is because so many great ideas get tossed around at the table during character generation. You can get an entire story and plot that evolves naturally from the character generation process.

For example, let's say the group decides they want to set the game off in Eveningstar and they want to play as Zhent Agents. Okay, now everyone knows roughly what type of background their characters will need, and the obvious question that is going to hang over everyone is: why is your character here? That's a question that's going to determine the central conflict. So, in the process of tossing out ideas, you might find that someone has a really great one that just gels with everyone at the table. Everyone is nodding their heads, they're getting excited about the game, etc. That's what you want.

So, someone says that their Zhent Agent is in Eveningstar on a suicide mission. They're on the outs with the Zhent leadership in Darkhold (where they are from), and they've been sent to Eveningstar to destabilize the local area by assassinating a local noble. It's largely believed to be a suicide mission. People are nodding their heads, and the guy who wants to play a wizard says that his character was sent with him because he killed a fellow Zhent Wizard apprentice. Suddenly the rogue says that he volunteered to come along, because the mission is a high risk and high reward mission, and he always wants to accept the most high reward missions to impress the leadership. Then you have the person who wants to play the cleric nodding, and saying that they'll be a cleric of Cyric who has been in Eveningstar for some time undercover as a acolyte of Lathander at the House of the Morning. The cleric is one of the agents whose already infiltrated the area, and is going to serve as the one to help them make the necessary connections to complete the mission.

And so from this you start to see a clear plot and the characters, their motivations, their reason for being there starts to become fleshed out. This helps you figure out the NPC's you need, where you need to focus your attention on the lore, and all of that.

If things end well, everyone is excited about their characters and are ready to play the game. I'd spend an entire session (3 to 5 hours) just building the characters, throwing out ideas, and building a bit of background information for each character. From there you've pretty much got all you need to begin your game, and you'll know where to focus your attention when it comes to Realmslore so you don't get overwhelmed with information.

I hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Akantor
Acolyte

France
24 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  22:09:01  Show Profile  Visit Akantor's Homepage Send Akantor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want an easy way of having both deep history understanding and court atmosphere, you can also read the novel Cormyr, by Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb.

English is not my primary language so forgive me for any mistake, I do my best (and spend skill point at my next level)
Go to Top of Page

Drexlorn
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  00:51:37  Show Profile Send Drexlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot everyone. I'm taking notes. :)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:17:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pick up the Knights of Myth Drannor Trilogy. Very good stuff and has plenty of info you can riff off of too for adventures. Another must is the Sage of Shadowdale Elminster Trilogy. There are literally pages upon pages of NPC's you can pluck right out of them for your own use.
Go to Top of Page

Drexlorn
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  03:35:23  Show Profile Send Drexlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the Myth Dranor box bu in the world it seems far from Cormyr.

Also, here is the list of material available to me (physical, no pdf).

Which of these would be most useful apart the obvious ones (like "Cormyr" stuff and the setting box) ?

Forgotten Realms material

X 1032 Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms (1E)
X 1055 The Horde
X 1060 The Ruins of Undermountain
X 1083 Menzoberranzan
X 1084 The Ruins of Myth Drannor
X 1085 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
X 1104 The Ruins of Undermountain II: The Deep Levels
X 1109 City of Splendors
X 1111 Elminster's Ecologies
X 1120 Ruins of Zhentil Keep
X 1121 Spellbound
X 1147 Netheril: Empire of Magic
X 1159 Lands of Intrigue
X 1165 Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves
X 2104F Bestiaire monstrueux appendice I
X 2106F L'aventure dans les royaumes oubliés
X 8442 The Forgotten Realms Atlas
X 9213 FR1 Waterdeep and the north
X 9217 FR2 Moonshae
X 9224 FR3 Empire of the sands
X 9226 I14 Swords of the Iron Legion
X 9229 FR4 The Magister
X 9233 FR5 The Savage Frontier
X 9235 FR6 Dreams of the Red Wizards
X 9297F Draconomicon
X 9301 FA1 Halls of the high king
X 9326 FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark
X 9341 FA2 Nightmare keep
X 9358 Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue
X 9369 FRQ2 Hordes of Dragonspear
X 9389 FRM1 The Jungles of Chult
X 9390 FOR4 The Code of the Harpers
X 9391 FRQ3 Doom of daggerdale
X 9410 Cormyr
X 9430 FOR5 Elves of Evermeet (photocopie, reliure spirale)
X 9444 Marco Volo: Departure
X 9450 Marco Volo: Journey
X 9455 Marco Volo: Arrival
X 9460 Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast
X 9465 Book of Lairs
X 9474 The Moonsea
X 9484 The Sword of the Dales
X 9485 The Secret of Spiderhaunt
X 9486 Volo's Guide to Cormyr
X 9487 FOR7 Giantcraft
X 9488 The Return of Randal Morn
X 9489 Elminster's ecologies appendix I: The battle of bones / Hill of the lost souls
X 9491 FOR8 Pages from Mages
X 9492 FOR9 Wizards and Rogues of the Realms
X 9509 FOR10 Warriors and Priests of the Realms
X 9516 Faith & Avatars
X 9519 Undermountain: The Lost Level
X 9525 Heroes' Lorebook
X 9528 Undermountain: Maddgoth's Castle
X 9531 Four from Cormyr
X 9535 Volo's Guide to All Things Magical
X 9538 Undermountain: Stardock
X 9540 How the Mighty Are Fallen
X 9544 Castle Spulzeer
X 9545 Prayers from the Faithful
X 9552 Villains' Lorebook
X 9558 The Fall of Myth Drannor
X 9562 Hellgate Keep
X 9563 Powers & Pantheons
X 9585 Demihuman Deities
X 11348 Skullport
X ? Forgotten Realms Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  14:20:00  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What would be most useful to you for running a game in Cormyr:

The Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
Cormyr
Volo's Guide to Cormyr
Faith & Avatars

Those are the four books I would keep close at hand. There may be some others that have varying degrees of use, mostly as reference material. Other books may take on a more important role depending on where your game is being focused.

For example, if your game is going to heavily involve the Harpers it would make sense to add Code of the Harpers to the list.

However, the four books I listed above are the books from your list that I would deem to be of high if not essential value to you.

Outside of those books, I recommend using the Forgotten Realm's Wiki. Not only is it a great source of information, but sometimes the information you may be seeking will be spread out across multiple sourcebooks. You don't want to spend hours upon hours trying to hunt down some obscure bit of lore. Using the FR Wiki's references will help you locate what you need quickly and efficiently.

To answer your question about Myth Drannor, it's located in the Cormanthor Forest, which is the forest the Dalelands surround. It is a bit out of the way, yes. It's also in ruins, so unless you want your group adventuring there it's of limited use to you unless you or they have specific plans.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  15:28:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drexlorn

X ? Forgotten Realms Conspectus

The Conspectus isn't much more than a fancy flyer for the Realms. It's glossy, folds out to a map, and has some "here's why the Realms is cool!" stuff on it.

I would only recommend it if someone was trying to build a complete collection of FR material, and even then it's not worth more than a few dollars. Of the various FR promo items I'm familiar with, it's likely the most common.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  16:01:19  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd browse out Ebay and try to snag a copy of the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. Great place to kick start a campaign.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000