Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  16:57:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that there are mythallars still in existence in the Realms. My view however is that mythallars had different shapes and forms depending on the archwizard who crafted them. They weren't all huge spheres like the ones on Thultanthar and Sakkors - those were just the type that Telamont crafted.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  19:23:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still cant believe its Netheril, an empire of magic where anything is possible and no one likes an enclave hidden inside a steering portable hole, they would rather have plain old invisible or plane shifted enclaves.

I have to say I'm not that familiar with how the mythallars actually look. Having never read any of the novels I have no idea what they did with those enclaves.

Although I'm thinking that the Sakkors mythallar (after I move it to the other enclave that didn't get annihilated by the fall and therefore should have been the one to get raised), is probably an attempt to delve into artificial intelligence for constructs. So im leaning towards a famous movie style entity that wants to escape into a body - a construct body.

A couple of things I'm not too sure what to do with. The Crown of Horns. It gets a mention in Netheril: Empire of Magic, but that mention is inconsistent with the use of the crown in modern faerun. The only thing I can think is Myrkul used it to steal ideas from the archwizards. Of course things go wrong and it develops its own sentience but it is in the beginning a piece of Myrkul trapped in an artefact.

I don't really want to get the dark three involved any more than that in the history of Netheril because I don't think they were very involved. Bhaal might have spent some time working for the Ashwind Assassins, but they were always off on quests for Jergal (who might have been keeping them busy for a reason).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  19:24:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and does anyone know what Barze and Negarath are all about, I haven't read that novel either. I presume there is a good reason why he leaves early heading east.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  16:13:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just put the fey'ri as another major threat to Netheril.

I can see why they were missed from the original supplement since they didnt exist when it was written, but i did a bit of checking and.

The Dlardrageths go to the High Forest around -5000 DR and create their five armouries (one of which is beneath the grandfather tree)

Siluvanede goes to war with Eaerlann and loses around -4500 DR.

Siluvanede still exists as a vassal state of Eaerlann and the fey'ri tieflings of Siluvanede retreat into hiding in the High Forest (using the four armouries of the Dlardrageths as bases - the fifth armoury known as the nameless dungeon was sealed by Eaerlann with some fey'ri in it).

The fey'ri cause a monster explosion in -2770 DR that destroys Sharrven, and they have a hand in the fall of Ascalhorn in 882 DR.

But in between that in -3533 DR the Netherese discover the Nether scrolls in one of the ruins of Aryvandaar. However the Nether Scrolls were kept originally in the Hall of Mists beneath the Grandfather Tree which Aryvandaar summoned atop the hall to stop others gaining access to it.

Now the elves (even the Vyshaan) regarded the Nether Scrolls as something so evil and powerful that none of them would touch it, so even the fey'ri who were hiding in the Hall of Mists probably wouldnt touch the scrolls.

I have the Netherese turn up, blast the fey'ri and run off with their weapons and the nether scrolls. The fey'ri now have a life long enmity against the Netherese, and elves live a long time, especially demon tainted elves.

Of course its all a bit more complicated than that, but thats the gist of the latest enemy of Netheril.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  16:15:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What i really need are Netherese sounding names for the settlements (not the enclaves). There is now way i am using Conch, Canlespeire, Earsome, Marsh of Amnesty, Marsh of Deception.

If anyone has suggestions for new place names in Netheril i would be most grateful. I am using the modern names for the big geographic formations (mountains, seas, lakes, etc), but the stuff that only existed in Netheril's time needs new names.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  23:00:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speculating on the origins (and age) of the Shadow Weave ...

It seems to me that although Shar is credited for control of the SW, it was far more likely originally possessed by her sometimes-underling Mask Shadowlord. Constructng and maintaining a hidden Weave for his own nefarious uses seems like a fine thing for Mask to occupy himself wiith.

Methinks the SW predates the Avatar Crisis, since the Return of the Archwizards trilogy (which introduced the Shadovar to the Realms) briefly outlines a bit of backstory wherein SW-using Shadovar agents visited places like Vaasa many generations or perhaps centuries prior to Shades arrival.

I believe the SW is described within some of the Arcane Ages material (set back when Mystryl still presided over the Weave), along with various mentions of shadow magic and shadowmages, although they werent referred to by name.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  23:30:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Speculating on the origins (and age) of the Shadow Weave ...

It seems to me that although Shar is credited for control of the SW, it was far more likely originally possessed by her sometimes-underling Mask Shadowlord. Constructng and maintaining a hidden Weave for his own nefarious uses seems like a fine thing for Mask to occupy himself wiith.

Methinks the SW predates the Avatar Crisis, since the Return of the Archwizards trilogy (which introduced the Shadovar to the Realms) briefly outlines a bit of backstory wherein SW-using Shadovar agents visited places like Vaasa many generations or perhaps centuries prior to Shades arrival.

I believe the SW is described within some of the Arcane Ages material (set back when Mystryl still presided over the Weave), along with various mentions of shadow magic and shadowmages, although they werent referred to by name.

If I had to, I'd link the creation of the Shadow Weave to Karsus's Ultimate Mistake. The nature of magic was changed, and the deity that had overseen the Weave since Day 1 was no more. It makes sense that that would be the opportunity for Shar to play with the new instabilities within the Weave and go from there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  01:20:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have minor issue accepting Shar behind the inception of the Shadow Weave.

First, it's the Shadow Weave. Not, say, the Dark Weave, Black Fabric, Oblivion Tapestry, nor any other such thing. Mask isn't really the best/first choice among Faerūnian deities who might conceive of an alternate Weave construct, his obsessions with intrigue and deception and manipulation do make him a passable candidate. And thieves across Faerūn would delight in shadow magics (although, admittedly, prior to the 3E-official Shadow Weave, they did not, lol). And, of course, Mask = dominion over Shadow, duh.

Secondly, perhaps more significantly, Shar's portfolios and powers really just do not suggest to me a deity who should really possess any capability or interest in creating such a subtle, complex, and lasting thing. Post-Shadovar lore depicted Shar making use of the Shadow Weave, and Post-Spellplague lore elevated Shar's menacing stature enough for her to make a solid claim on the matter. But I still recall ye good olde AD&D days when, to be honest, Shar was just another local (small-time) evil goddess without any grand multicosmic world-shattering consequence. Although this is just unashamed first-impression bias on my part, it's not something I can easily ignore. Shar has (opportunistically?) employed "her" Shadow Weave to moderate effect - but again, why? It just doesn't seem to fit the character concept.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  08:22:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh you scroll stealers. I'm gonna have shadow weave discussions plaguing this thread for at least 4 pages now. And if anyone mentions a cataclysmic event in the morning i will have to shoot someone.

Although i do have an alternate theory for the Oblivion Tapestry that should explain the various transition through the editions and it will involve the ultimate mistake somewhat. But there will be absolutely no mention of artefacts or other deus-ex machina objects.

Now does anyone have any ideas for some good names for Netherese settlements, places, people, etc.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 28 Aug 2014 12:40:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  12:48:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I have minor issue accepting Shar behind the inception of the Shadow Weave.

First, it's the Shadow Weave. Not, say, the Dark Weave, Black Fabric, Oblivion Tapestry, nor any other such thing. Mask isn't really the best/first choice among Faerūnian deities who might conceive of an alternate Weave construct, his obsessions with intrigue and deception and manipulation do make him a passable candidate. And thieves across Faerūn would delight in shadow magics (although, admittedly, prior to the 3E-official Shadow Weave, they did not, lol). And, of course, Mask = dominion over Shadow, duh.

Secondly, perhaps more significantly, Shar's portfolios and powers really just do not suggest to me a deity who should really possess any capability or interest in creating such a subtle, complex, and lasting thing. Post-Shadovar lore depicted Shar making use of the Shadow Weave, and Post-Spellplague lore elevated Shar's menacing stature enough for her to make a solid claim on the matter. But I still recall ye good olde AD&D days when, to be honest, Shar was just another local (small-time) evil goddess without any grand multicosmic world-shattering consequence. Although this is just unashamed first-impression bias on my part, it's not something I can easily ignore. Shar has (opportunistically?) employed "her" Shadow Weave to moderate effect - but again, why? It just doesn't seem to fit the character concept.

To me, the biggest reason to hand it to Shar is because Mystryl was created from both Shar and Selūne... Since magic was thus part of Shar, it gives her a reason to be able to play with it.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  13:00:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It makes sense to me.

And i'm going to have it exist in a limited form from that event. Its expansion will be tied to the death of Mystryll and the expansion of something else loosely linked to that event.

But thats just a small section of the aftermath which is but a small section of what is fast becoming a rewrite of the Netheril Arcane Age supplement (if only i had map skills to redo all the place names).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  04:41:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good names for Netherese places, people, etc? I can offer one:

Richter Thunderstaff, wild arcanist (then wild archwizard, then wild lich), pompous, bombastic, CE and hurtfully proud of it, known for his signature thunder staff spell. An NPC who, in the ancient Netheril of my Realms, was the discoverer and something of a pioneering genius in wild magic, megalomaniacally convinced that his new wild magic was far more powerful than any other magic the "ossified, close-minded, and spectacularly misguided" arcanists of Netheril had at their disposal. He, uh, kinda disappeared in an accidental wild surge, displaced into the middle of the Anauroch, circa Time of Troubles. I think of him as being to Netherese wild magic what Shadow (now known as Telamont) was to Netherese shadow magic.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  10:00:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, im just throwing a few names out there to see what people think.

Harbourage = Acuram Beld

Unity = Neilendur

Westwendt = Barag Beld

Hollway = Erega

Kismet = Kismet

Wreathe = Ancabar

Coniferia = Caba Kerai

Monikar = Samaghar

Bandor Village = Arudes

Cantus = Mairdes

Sepulcher = Cabaru

Canlespiere = Bucaru Beld

Algid Village = Deldei

Earsome = Ciki Ada

Trinity = Atarxi

Conch = Arisi Beld

Imbrue = Balargural

Vandal Station = Kerugal

Frosty Paw = Maidul

Zenith = Arrum

Remembrance = Tariya

Doubloon = Degerton

Arctic Rim = Aqaru

Anyone have any thoughts on whether they are suitable or not, or ideas for any alternatives?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  16:27:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you can see, i suck with names so i am quite willing to beg for some even vaguely suitable place names.

Please, please, please, please, please!!!!!

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  17:23:31  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note the passage on page 97 in Lost Empires and A Grand History, page 28, about where the Netherese find the Scrolls (a ruin of Aryvandaar).

But then note the passage on page 103 in Lost Empires about finding it in the Citadel of the Mists, with a strong hint from the Terraseer.

I vaguely remember another reference about Aryvandaar hiding the Nether Scrolls, but I can't find it.

Why do you think the Nether Scrolls were originally in the Hall of Mists? (Reference?)

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Just put the fey'ri as another major threat to Netheril.

I can see why they were missed from the original supplement since they didnt exist when it was written, but i did a bit of checking and.

The Dlardrageths go to the High Forest around -5000 DR and create their five armouries (one of which is beneath the grandfather tree)

Siluvanede goes to war with Eaerlann and loses around -4500 DR.

Siluvanede still exists as a vassal state of Eaerlann and the fey'ri tieflings of Siluvanede retreat into hiding in the High Forest (using the four armouries of the Dlardrageths as bases - the fifth armoury known as the nameless dungeon was sealed by Eaerlann with some fey'ri in it).

The fey'ri cause a monster explosion in -2770 DR that destroys Sharrven, and they have a hand in the fall of Ascalhorn in 882 DR.

But in between that in -3533 DR the Netherese discover the Nether scrolls in one of the ruins of Aryvandaar. However the Nether Scrolls were kept originally in the Hall of Mists beneath the Grandfather Tree which Aryvandaar summoned atop the hall to stop others gaining access to it.

Now the elves (even the Vyshaan) regarded the Nether Scrolls as something so evil and powerful that none of them would touch it, so even the fey'ri who were hiding in the Hall of Mists probably wouldnt touch the scrolls.

I have the Netherese turn up, blast the fey'ri and run off with their weapons and the nether scrolls. The fey'ri now have a life long enmity against the Netherese, and elves live a long time, especially demon tainted elves.

Of course its all a bit more complicated than that, but thats the gist of the latest enemy of Netheril.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  17:40:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had that impression as well... probably from Savage Frontier or some similarly old source... on the region. Can't say for sure though.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  18:17:06  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it. Serpent Kingdoms page 97.

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I had that impression as well... probably from Savage Frontier or some similarly old source... on the region. Can't say for sure though.

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  20:22:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I wouldn't have been much help to you there since I only copy out the text into a big compiled document on different regions and never bother with the sources.

I had to assume that the Netheril boxed set was slightly incorrect since it mentioned a ruined building where the walls and ceilings were in use. But the Netheril boxed set seems to be always slightly incorrect which is why im rewriting it. I just need some names because i'll be damned if im going to write the word Conch into it.

I think I have everything else sorted out. I'm changing the role of some of the settlements entirely, for instance Unity is a dwarven and elven military camp set up in case of Netherese attack.

Sunrest isn't even a city enclave anymore, its a floating temple (first to Shar, then to Amaunator).

I came up with an idea for what the Seven Sigils refer to that has absolutely nothing to do with binding symbols on outer planar creatures.

I'm debating on having a giant invasion from the north in retaliation for melting the High Ice which destroys their territory.

But without names for the settlements I can't really start writing history down that involves them.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  20:48:17  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Netheril boxed set is correct in placement ... "beyond the Far Forests" works.

The Netheril description is incorrect ... it should be a subterranean catacomb, methinks.

My reading of the sources, and reconciling alternate accounts:

The Nether Scrolls were found below what is now the Citadel of the Mists, which was built atop the only unplundered Dlardrageth Armory, which in turn was built amidst ancient ruins of Aryvandaar. (So an "Aryvandaaran ruin" is also correct.)

The discoverer of the Nether Scrolls was "Finder" (which I don't like) a distant descendant of Therion of Gers (not horrible) while he was an apprentice at Glaurachyndaar (which I do like) led by the nose by Arthindol (the Terraseer in the guise of a human Netherese archwizard). The scrolls were placed there by the Terraseer after he liberated them from the Hall of Mists, where they had lain for millennia.

--Eric

quote:

Unfortunately I wouldn't have been much help to you there since I only copy out the text into a big compiled document on different regions and never bother with the sources.

I had to assume that the Netheril boxed set was slightly incorrect since it mentioned a ruined building where the walls and ceilings were in use. But the Netheril boxed set seems to be always slightly incorrect which is why im rewriting it. I just need some names because i'll be damned if im going to write the word Conch into it.

I think I have everything else sorted out. I'm changing the role of some of the settlements entirely, for instance Unity is a dwarven and elven military camp set up in case of Netherese attack.

Sunrest isn't even a city enclave anymore, its a floating temple (first to Shar, then to Amaunator).

I came up with an idea for what the Seven Sigils refer to that has absolutely nothing to do with binding symbols on outer planar creatures.

I'm debating on having a giant invasion from the north in retaliation for melting the High Ice which destroys their territory.

But without names for the settlements I can't really start writing history down that involves them.

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  21:39:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Makes sense enough for me. The name Finder I attribute to being just a name added into myth and legend rather than being an actual person. Thankfully changing the place where they were found probably wont affect my plans for the Fey'ri since they will still be annoyed at a bunch of humans plundering Dlardrageth armouries and so still attempt to get their own back.

I didn't pick up on Glaurachyndar at first, but since I don't actually have the elves get in contact with Netheril at all I probably wont be using that plot hook, except maybe in having a number of arcanists infiltrating Eaerlann (as apprentices) and being exposed during the attack as saboteurs which results in the finding of the Nether scrolls.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  21:50:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It actually works better that the Terraseer moved them. I wasn't happy having the Netherese bypass the Grandfather tree that Aryvandaar had summoned to guard the Nether Scrolls. The Terraseer could bypass it obviously but there is no way a bunch of middling human wizards would be able to achieve such a feat without burning down the High Forest first.

So having the Terraseer move it makes sense, the Netherese have more of a chance plundering an outcast elven armoury than they do plundering one guarded by the grand daddy of all treants.

And the comment in the Savage Frontier book about the halls beneath the citadel of the mists not having been trodden in over 3000 years ties in nicely with Netheril timelines as well. It was rumoured to be built atop an elven fortress although now it makes sense that it was built atop a Dlardrageth armoury, that was built atop a Sarrukh ruin.

And even better, the Dlardrageth really want to get into the Citadel of the Mists to retrieve the weapons they believe are still hidden beneath it. Well the jokes on them because the Netherese would almost certainly have helped themselves to any weapons inside.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  22:06:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The Netheril boxed set is correct in placement ... "beyond the Far Forests" works.

The Netheril description is incorrect ... it should be a subterranean catacomb, methinks.

My reading of the sources, and reconciling alternate accounts:

The Nether Scrolls were found below what is now the Citadel of the Mists, which was built atop the only unplundered Dlardrageth Armory, which in turn was built amidst ancient ruins of Aryvandaar. (So an "Aryvandaaran ruin" is also correct.)

The discoverer of the Nether Scrolls was "Finder" (which I don't like) a distant descendant of Therion of Gers (not horrible) while he was an apprentice at Glaurachyndaar (which I do like) led by the nose by Arthindol (the Terraseer in the guise of a human Netherese archwizard). The scrolls were placed there by the Terraseer after he liberated them from the Hall of Mists, where they had lain for millennia.

--Eric

quote:

"Finder" could be a corruption of a more difficult name, or a simplified nickname -- I once worked with a girl who went by Nancy, but her real name was Anayansi.

"Finder" could have been Fynn Daer, or Faendyr, or Finneldar...

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  22:10:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a bad idea, if only I could work the same magic with the place names. I'm still not sure Monikar or Conch could ever be saved.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  23:47:16  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expanding Wooly's idea, there's plenty of precedent for Netherese things having multiple names due to translation. Mostly places, but there's no reason a "folk hero" type of figure wouldn't have been translated as well since stories are frequently told about heroes and names are not always pronounceable by natives of other lands.

So, theory:

He had a real name... we don't know what that was.

He was later given a nickname for his discovery, by much later generations who found the nickname more appropriate name or easier to say than his original name. (Maybe like the wizard known as Mentor?)

That nickname was later translated into Thorass as Finder, and this is the only name the living nations of the Realms know for him.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  00:44:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider that the Netherese probably only named their enclaves and some important places for their enclaves to resupply, trade, claim resources, etc. The vast majority of Netheril appears to have already been populated by various peoples who likely kept their own names for places and features which the enclave-centric Netherese citizens would have little interest in ever visiting.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  01:33:16  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only problem with all this is that the Hall of Mists and the Citadel of the Mists are two different places separated by a large distance. Both are in the northern reaches of the High Forest, but by my estimation they are at least 140 miles apart (using the maps from The North).

I see no way to reconcile the discrepancy aside from assuming it was a mistake made by one of the writers remembering what he read in the earlier source incorrectly.

To me it makes sense that the Nether Scrolls were found in the Hall of Mists - which are guarded by the Godfather Tree - an ancient Arakhor. To me, it seems the Nether scrolls are exactly the kind of dangerous artifact they would want protected by such a being. The Halls were
likely originally halls of the Vyshanti of Aryvandaar - then later occupied by the Dlardrageth of Siluvanede. Then sealed and warded after their defeat and used as one of the places dark horrors from the past are locked away - including the scrolls.

"The Citadel Of The Mists" was built around 1300 DR on top of old elven ruins (rough date is also from The North). To me this means that when the Nether Scrolls were found, there was no Citadel of the Mists and so would never have been remembered as anything but a random ruin. I'm thinking it was also a Vyshan fortress but was destroyed in the 5th Crown War and the ruins were eventually buried by the forest and forgotten, until the Mistmaster and his mates discovered them, built a fortress, and began their role as guardians of the ancient secrets they found in the cellars below.

THIS WAS A RESPONSE TO PAGE 2... SOMEHOW I LANDED THERE AND MISSED THE LATEST DISCUSSION - THE TERRASEER MOVING THE SCROLLS WOULD WORK BY WAY OF AN EXPLANATION OF THE DISCREPANCY

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 04 Sep 2014 01:46:28
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  01:38:07  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would assume that he was called "The Finder" not just finder. His other accomplishments never amounted to much so he is remembered by the description of his great accomplishment - finding the scrolls.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  08:18:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done away with the nonsense of the Netheril boxed set, so there is a definitive nation with expanding borders and of course nothing exists within the nation that is not part of it (with the exception of secret hidden settlements usually of the enemy).

So i need names for these settlements which are now all run by natives of Seventon (although the population can include Talfir from Thaeravel, Rengarth barbarians and the occasional demi-human like gnomes).

Unnamed settlement number 1 wouldnt really look good in a writeup of the history where those settlements have an effect on the rest of the empire. So for instance Harbourage is crucial to netherese expansion west across the Narrow Sea (and is also where they discover the gnomes). Harbourage is also one of the settlements most affected by magic drain as it gets frozen over each winter.

Monikar is not part of the nation but is the centre of a religion dedicated to the destruction of Netheril, and out of there operate a group of assassins that specialises in killing archwizards.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  09:10:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay so using Wooly's idea.

Monikar = Ssemuonikaress'k (it's deliberately meant to sound like a reptilian name)

Imbrue = Ilmesbruald

Conch = Connoselchar

I suppose can live with Vandal Station and Harbourage and a few of the other places being named after their function or population or other geographical feature.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  16:26:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i did a bit more brainstorming and a bit more research and got lucky and found a reference to Netheril and an empire of Jhothun.

So now i know where the giants that killed Malick came from. I have a reason for their invasion. And the invasion has a number of consequences that results in Netheril's decline.

The loss of the weapons of Aryvandaar being the most decisive consequence.

And i moved Thultanthar from Lake Heip to Holloway so i can link Thaeravel to shadow magic and Holloway was built in what would become the Farsea Marshes which would have been part of Thaeravel and so the archaeology expedition was actually looking for bits on shadow magic.

And does anyone think incest is taking the excesses of archwizards a bit too far?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page