Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Concerned about only three authors writing novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  14:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GyorPrehaps that's what Troy was hired to write about, a tie onto Tyranny of Dragons.

What?! Troy Denning will be writing a Tyranny of Dragons tie-in novel? This is a horrible, horrible news.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  05:47:34  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

quote:
Originally posted by GyorPrehaps that's what Troy was hired to write about, a tie onto Tyranny of Dragons.

What?! Troy Denning will be writing a Tyranny of Dragons tie-in novel? This is a horrible, horrible news.

No one is writing a novel to tie into Tyranny of Dragons. There are minor connections in Rise of the King and Fire in the Blood, but no book addressing the full storyline.

As for earlier questions about sales figures: You can't get those numbers. Even if you use Bookscan, they are wildly inaccurate in my experience. Amazon Best Seller ranks are pretty volatile--it's not a "pure" sales rank. There's a proprietary algorithm involved and the number fluctuates a lot based on what's selling when. You can get a general idea, but depending on when you check and whether anyone's bought that title recently, what format they bought it in, and maybe what number Jef Bezos is thinking of, you'll get different results.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  06:15:43  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

quote:

That's your opinion.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  04:18:08  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would read a Troy Denning tie in book in a heartbeat.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  00:12:55  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd read a Troy Denning novel as well... but that's because I like to think of him as the axe-man because of some of the novels he's been writing lately. I don't think a Tyranny tie-in requires an axe-man to write it.

As to RA Salvatore writing 2 a year, he's been writing 2 a year for awhile now. The difference is, he's writing 2 REALMS novels a year. I also wonder how much his son is helping him.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 02 Sep 2014 00:14:03
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  13:45:58  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sorry to hear this. Jeff Grub, Troy Denning, Douglas Niles, Phil Athans, Elaine Cunningham....all are amazing authors/editors that have given me thousands of hours of enjoyment through the years.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  11:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I don't agree. We had a continuity traffic cop in 2E, and we had a buttload of authors playing in the sandbox -- prolly more than at any other time in the setting's history.

Granted, there were still glitches here and there, but those are minor compared to some of the issues of 3E and later, when there was no traffic cop and when, in my opinion, there was a deliberate decision to not worry overly much about continuity.

It's also easier to maintain continuity when you're not blowing up the setting with every second book.

Definitely agreeing with Wooly here. Never read Erin Evans, and didn't like later RAS novels, so I guess I'll have to pass on 5e novels.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  12:54:20  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
I don't agree. We had a continuity traffic cop in 2E, and we had a buttload of authors playing in the sandbox -- prolly more than at any other time in the setting's history.

Granted, there were still glitches here and there, but those are minor compared to some of the issues of 3E and later, when there was no traffic cop and when, in my opinion, there was a deliberate decision to not worry overly much about continuity.

It's also easier to maintain continuity when you're not blowing up the setting with every second book.

Definitely agreeing with Wooly here. Never read Erin Evans, and didn't like later RAS novels, so I guess I'll have to pass on 5e novels.

That's a terrible attitude to have. You may not end up liking her books, but you owe to yourself to read "Brimstone Angels" and see if you like Erin Evans. Just look at the high praise her books receive, and I think it's worth your while to at least give her a try.

I would also try "Downshadow" by Erik Scott de Bie", the Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers, and "Unbroken Chain" by Jaleigh Johnson. And have you read any of Paul Kemp's books about Erevis Cale?

Again, I'm not saying you'll like all the 4e novels. But if you enjoy the Realms, I would guarantee that you'll like at least 2 or 3 of the novels I mentioned. The only ones that actually deal with "blowing up Faerun" to any real degree are Kemp's books. And that only deals with a major threat, not actual RSE material.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  15:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten
That's a terrible attitude to have. You may not end up liking her books, but you owe to yourself to read "Brimstone Angels" and see if you like Erin Evans. Just look at the high praise her books receive, and I think it's worth your while to at least give her a try.

I would also try "Downshadow" by Erik Scott de Bie", the Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers, and "Unbroken Chain" by Jaleigh Johnson. And have you read any of Paul Kemp's books about Erevis Cale?

Again, I'm not saying you'll like all the 4e novels. But if you enjoy the Realms, I would guarantee that you'll like at least 2 or 3 of the novels I mentioned. The only ones that actually deal with "blowing up Faerun" to any real degree are Kemp's books. And that only deals with a major threat, not actual RSE material.

However, a reader interested in trying out de Bie, Byers, Johnson and/or Kemp should be aware that there might well not be any future FR novels by those authors, a frustrating and disappointing situation that circles back to the reason why I created this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  06:56:43  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would really like to see some smaller scale books in a similar vein to the way the Drizzt series began, but by an author who actually has some respect for the Realms and who has a proper sense of its feel.

RAS might be popular but his penchant for silly names, speech impediments, and mental illnesses in his characters reduces his work to the category of poorly-executed parody. And boasting about naming a green-haired dwarf "doo-dad" "Pi(c)kle" is the sort of disrespect for an IP that, as a business owner, I would never tolerate. I would also insert in his contract that he was NEVER allowed to name a character ever again. They seem to be getting worse.

In a similar vein to the John Rogers-penned "Fell's Five" comics, I would love to see the tales of one or more adventuring parties of the Realms clashing with the Cult of the Dragon, the Zhentarim, drow slavers, a beholder etc... without those tales ever becoming too much like an RSE or for Elminster and the other comic book-like characters appearing in the pages (comic book in the sense that their ever-escalating power means they've really outgrown their world and its stories thus necessitating constant resets). I would really love to see Ed having input into such a series so we could actually "see" some of the smaller details of the Realms such as what exactly clerics of specific deities wear and say etc....

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

sagechan
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  08:31:51  Show Profile Send sagechan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lack of release announcements is both concerning and annoying. I'm willing to give WotC this year and next as transitions. I believe Mearls has said they want the rpg side to be less common and nor impactful. Outside or specific issues with individual authors situations (I'm guessing Paul Kemp's blog on why his Egil & Nix books changed publishers also applies to more Realms from him) we will see a slight uptick in novels later, but probably at 6-10/yr max.

I dont have an issue with outsourcing the adventure paths. Apparently WotC create a story bible which its partners develop into various rpg adventures, video game modules etc. Seems the business case behind 5e is fully exploiting a multichannel approach, which probably has reduced the novels some due to their obviously limited resources.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  14:49:48  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outsourcing the adventures makes a lot of sense when you consider just how bad the (Mearls-penned) adventures for 4E were and how much their bad design contributed to the widespread dissatisfaction with that edition when it was new. (I am referring, of course, to Keep on the Shadowfell and Pyramid of Shadows, although I generally refer to the latter by swapping Shadow for another word beginning with Sh....)

And while everyone is still talking about the successful launch of 5E, the DMG is still being written.

WotC doesn't have the resources it once had to throw at D&D and its new head is far less senior in the organisation than the bloke he replaced. Reduced resources + reduced organisation clout = reduced product. And as novels aren't part of Mike Mearls' skill set, it does make sense that they're going with a very low risk approach to the novel line.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  03:14:28  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

I would really like to see some smaller scale books in a similar vein to the way the Drizzt series began, but by an author who actually has some respect for the Realms and who has a proper sense of its feel.

RAS might be popular but his penchant for silly names, speech impediments, and mental illnesses in his characters reduces his work to the category of poorly-executed parody. And boasting about naming a green-haired dwarf "doo-dad" "Pi(c)kle" is the sort of disrespect for an IP that, as a business owner, I would never tolerate. I would also insert in his contract that he was NEVER allowed to name a character ever again. They seem to be getting worse.

In a similar vein to the John Rogers-penned "Fell's Five" comics, I would love to see the tales of one or more adventuring parties of the Realms clashing with the Cult of the Dragon, the Zhentarim, drow slavers, a beholder etc... without those tales ever becoming too much like an RSE or for Elminster and the other comic book-like characters appearing in the pages (comic book in the sense that their ever-escalating power means they've really outgrown their world and its stories thus necessitating constant resets). I would really love to see Ed having input into such a series so we could actually "see" some of the smaller details of the Realms such as what exactly clerics of specific deities wear and say etc....

You're off base and out of line. If you don't like the way RAS writes, I can respect that. I think he's great, but his style has flaws like anyone else's. To say that he has no respect for the Realms is insulting.

His characters have accents because he often deals with dwarves, orcs, and drow. He likes to distinguish the way they speak Common from the way humans speak Common. Plus, he has characters like Athrogate who are obviously intended for comic relief.

If you take that as him not having a proper feel for the Realms, I would ask you to explain what you think the Realms should feel like. Ed also uses a lot of humorous situations and quirky characters in his work.

Finally, RAS tackles some serious issues in his work. Justice vs. revenge, the idea of innate good or evil, overcoming childhood trauma, nihilism, etc. Lots of people can look past silly names and accents to see deeper concepts. If you can't, maybe the manner in which you approach the books is to blame.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  03:35:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm on both sides of the fence here. I love RAS' novels (though the [I] Neverwinter [I] series he wrote was not on par with the rest of the Drizzt novels, imo). The Drizzt books got me started on Forgotten Realms. However, his books don't always contain the lore or, yes, "feel" of the Realms the other novels do, though he is good with drow, at least Lolthites. But sometimes his books seem a little out of touch with the rest of the Realms, and when he throws in an event or character that a huge thing in the Realms, it seems a little strange. Like when he mentions Szass Tam. If I hadn't read other FR books, I wouldn't know who that person was.

I know RAS is involved with the Realms, but his books don't always feel that way, at least to me. If someone were gong to read the Drizzt books, I would recommend them, but if they really wanted to gain knowledge and become "FR fan", I would recommend other novels as well.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  05:23:15  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing RAS is very good at (IMHO) is creating & developing characters with depth, which change over time, are complex, and are conflicted.

I'm thinking in particular of course of Artemis Entreri, Dahlia, Effron, Gromph & Jarlaxle, and to a lesser extent, Regis. I really like the idea that characters are not 100% heroic or 100% evil, have flaws & conflicting motivations, etc. It makes them more believable, and makes you care what happens to them.

On the other hand, quite a lot of RAS's characters appear to be made of cardboard. I include Drizzt in this; although we get lots of insight into his character in the first-person prologues, he's too much of a one-dimensional good-guy, and too perfect for my taste. What is Drizzt's main flaw? That he cares too much? ;-) I totally get why Dahlia finally lost it & tried to kill him. If he was more like Jarlaxle, he would be more interesting IMO.

I enjoy all the drow plotting, but the drow matrons in particular seem pretty one-dimensional. Yes, they're evil, but why? Because they're drow? If they had mustaches, they would twirl them. The exceptions to this are hapless characters such as Saribel; she may be an evil drow, but as she's not a very competent one, she seems to get bullied a lot.

As for dwarves, I prefer Erik Scott de Bie's Arrath Vir in the Shadowbane novels; its a more original take. Most of the dwarves in RAS's novels (including Bruenor) seem to be variants of the Gimli template from LoTR, with the comedy dwarves borrowed from The Hobbit

Edited by - BenN on 08 Sep 2014 05:27:35
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  06:12:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bad names are scattered throughout FR fiction, big names and small. Salvatore isn't the only offender here, just the one with the biggest profile.

I personally like novels that function a bit like sourcebooks in that not only will they tell me that the protagonists have met at an inn in Daerlun, but will actually tell me the name of the inn. Some random realmslore never goes astray either - Realmsian names of things, words in other languages, mentions of of famous people and places; that's the kind of stuff I love. Not many FR writers have ever gone down that road to the extent I wish they would but I guess they are novelists first, (hopefully) FR fans second and world builders third.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 08 Sep 2014 06:13:03
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  06:26:31  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Realmsian names of things, words in other languages, mentions of of famous people and places; that's the kind of stuff I love.

Yeah, I love that stuff too; the small details fire the imagination, and bring the Reams to life for me. An example:

I like how some FR authors have their characters curse & swear using uniquely Realmsian terms, such as "hrast it!", "naed!", "stlarn!", "farruk!", etc.

On the other hand, use of real-world cursing in fantasy novels is a big turn-off for me; it shows a lack of imagination, or just a lack of caring, and takes you right out of the setting. The most egrarious examples I can think of are in Paulina Claiborne's Rose of Sarifal; it was one of many reasons why I really disliked that book.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  12:14:25  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

Its your loss. Her books are very well written and loved by critics and fans alike.
You should at least try out a couple of her novels before making such a call.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  12:28:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I've been quoted a couple of times here, I want to make sure that my original intent is quite clear. First was this exchange:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Wooly, if strict adherence to continuity is the overriding goal, then the fewer fiction writers (and game designers, for that matter) that you have working on the Realms, the better. But that comes at the cost of not getting a whole heck of a lot of new Realms product. And it may be worth noting that continuity errors can occur even when a series is being written by a single author. The Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe series are cases in point.

And then I clarified my last sentence:

quote:

Oh, I wasn't blaming any of the authors. Quite often, they're given the plot, or at least a rough guideline, and told to execute it... It's the higher-ups who wanted to go Hollywood and have more BOOM.

The point I was making is that the insistence on having these large-scale events, especially in rapid succession, makes maintaining continuity a lot more difficult. When multiple authors are -- again, on WotC's orders -- blowing up different corners of the setting, keeping track of what's intact and who survives becomes considerably more difficult.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  12:33:42  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're off base and out of line. If you don't like the way RAS writes, I can respect that. I think he's great, but his style has flaws like anyone else's. To say that he has no respect for the Realms is insulting.

His characters have accents because he often deals with dwarves, orcs, and drow. He likes to distinguish the way they speak Common from the way humans speak Common. Plus, he has characters like Athrogate who are obviously intended for comic relief.

If you take that as him not having a proper feel for the Realms, I would ask you to explain what you think the Realms should feel like. Ed also uses a lot of humorous situations and quirky characters in his work.

Finally, RAS tackles some serious issues in his work. Justice vs. revenge, the idea of innate good or evil, overcoming childhood trauma, nihilism, etc. Lots of people can look past silly names and accents to see deeper concepts. If you can't, maybe the manner in which you approach the books is to blame.

It's not insulting. It's an opinion. Learn the difference.

Um, Athrogate is just another RAS dwarf: you can tell by the flagrant mental illness and speech impediments. They're the Realms equivalent of gungans, and we know how well those turned out for George Lucas....

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  23:35:07  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's not insulting. It's an opinion. Learn the difference.

Um, Athrogate is just another RAS dwarf: you can tell by the flagrant mental illness and speech impediments. They're the Realms equivalent of gungans, and we know how well those turned out for George Lucas....

To be pedantic, an opinion can be insulting ....

I am still not to 4E yet on my read-through of the realms, but I know that in 2e & 3e there were many of the types of stories you are talking about. Do those just not exist anymore? I mean, it at least seemed like the Waterdeep books from 4e were not concerned with gigantic events, but perhaps they were presented in a misleading fashion. I certainly wish there were more books that focused on the places that CHANGED greatly between 3e & 4e, but I'm assuming those bits are hidden within the 4e books available, I've just gotta get to them.
I get that so far 5e is just RAS (I agree with both of you, basically ... see my 8,000 hours of reviews for details if curious) & the Sundering, but we're kind of in a transition year here, right? I'm guessing (as long as 5e does OK, and since so far it seems to just be 3e all over again I'm sure it'll be fine) WotC will start pushing out more books (if not AS MANY as they used to) come 2015.

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  03:24:28  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zenmichaelTo be pedantic, an opinion can be insulting .... (snip)

Yeah, that's pedantic to the point of splitting hairs. But, as my post clearly shows, I did not insult RAS.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  04:01:11  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by zenmichaelTo be pedantic, an opinion can be insulting .... (snip)

Yeah, that's pedantic to the point of splitting hairs. But, as my post clearly shows, I did not insult RAS.

The man has spent the last 20 or so years being dedicated to the Realms. When they were pushing the Neverwinter game, he went out of his way to include that stuff in his work and help increase sales. Unless you think Szass Tam and the Abolethic Sovereignty are part of typical RAS plotlines.

To say his books are bad is a fair opinion (though wrong in my mind). You strongly implied that he doesn't have any respect for the Realms, and doesn't have a "proper sense of its feel". And you honestly find me stupid enough to not consider that insulting? Who are all these people you imagine to have a better feel for the Realms, and more respect for the Realms, than RAS? Ed, sure, but who else?

If you're going to make such a bold accusation, you could at least use better reasons than "he makes up silly names".
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  04:17:41  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except I can kind of see where Derul is coming from as far as the "feel" goes. As I stated in my earlier post, RAS' books don't always contain the lore or, yes, feel that the other books do. I realize feel is a loaded word. Hr is good when it comes to the drow, but other things...well, he may have tried to promote the Neverwinter stuff, but those books were not his best. He tends to do his own thing, which in some ways is great, but I wouldn't recommond his books to someone who is really try to learn about the Realms. When he mentions prominent figures like Szass Tam, it feels kind of random. RAS has been in the Realms a long time, but he doesn't always write that way. I love his characters, and the Drizzt books got me started on the Realms. I don't think his dwarves are protrayed as less intelligent. It's just how they talk, and if anything, it adds depth to them.

I was disappointed in his later works, though they are getting better again. Would I recommend his books as a good read? Yes. Would I recommend them as a good source of Realms-ishness? No.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  04:31:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we can move along, now?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  04:57:52  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I would love to see more authors writing for the Realms, and some old ones return (like Elaine), I am looking forward to seeing what Erin Evans produces, both within the Farideh story, and whatever she may happen to write in the future. I think she holds a lot of promise.

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  12:40:29  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Erin Evans is one to watch, that's for sure.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  02:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zenmichael

I am still not to 4E yet on my read-through of the realms, but I know that in 2e & 3e there were many of the types of stories you are talking about. Do those just not exist anymore? I mean, it at least seemed like the Waterdeep books from 4e were not concerned with gigantic events, but perhaps they were presented in a misleading fashion.
You are correct. The Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep books (one of which I wrote) were generally concerned with localized events, rather than world-shaking things.

quote:
I get that so far 5e is just RAS (I agree with both of you, basically ... see my 8,000 hours of reviews for details if curious) & the Sundering, but we're kind of in a transition year here, right? I'm guessing (as long as 5e does OK, and since so far it seems to just be 3e all over again I'm sure it'll be fine) WotC will start pushing out more books (if not AS MANY as they used to) come 2015.

Well, let's hope.

And in point of fact, it probably wouldn't be 2015. If history and experience is any indication, the cycle on these is at least two years. In all likelihood, unless they do a major push, books they contract right now wouldn't come out until at least 2016.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  03:37:26  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by zenmichael

I am still not to 4E yet on my read-through of the realms, but I know that in 2e & 3e there were many of the types of stories you are talking about. Do those just not exist anymore? I mean, it at least seemed like the Waterdeep books from 4e were not concerned with gigantic events, but perhaps they were presented in a misleading fashion.
You are correct. The Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep books (one of which I wrote) were generally concerned with localized events, rather than world-shaking things.

quote:

Well, let's hope.

And in point of fact, it probably wouldn't be 2015. If history and experience is any indication, the cycle on these is at least two years. In all likelihood, unless they do a major push, books they contract right now wouldn't come out until at least 2016.

Cheers

I hope WOTC has some things brewing that they are keeping under wraps. I know we'll get 2 novels from RAS in 2015, at least 1 from Ed, and at least 1 from Erin. But even so, those novels will only deal with a few areas. There is no Campaign Guide promised for 2015, so we'll have no clue what's happening in most of Faerun. Not cool.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  17:52:05  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To start- I've read all of Bob's books and love them and buy them all the day they are released; his drow are the best ever written (in my opinion) and his contribution to the Realms' underdark world is unmatched. All that said, tje early modules for Vassa and Damara Witch King/Orcus stuff were not meant to be set in the Realms but shoved in like the Moonshaes, and Icewind Dale as his initial setting was deliberately remote such that it could be in any D&D setting; I don't think it's unfair for people to feel Bob's Realms feel different than say Ed or Jeff Grubb or Elaine (who I feel all really get the Realms very well--edit obviously Ed gets the Realms well duh!). His use of Alustriel in the Mithrill Hall/drow war was...really off and weird for example given that she's a Chosen of Mystra! I think that's been discussed here before. I do think when Bob steps outside of the North it feels off (to me!). I loved Cadderly and the Clerical Quintet but it may as well not have been set in Faerun.

Sorry if that is too off-topic.

Edited by - Seravin on 11 Sep 2014 19:16:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000