Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D 5th: House Rule for Healing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

canucksaram
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  08:55:32  Show Profile Send canucksaram a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've decided not to use the healing rules from 5th ed D&D and will be replacing them with these rules instead:

Characters have a pool of healing dice equal to their proficiency bonus (instead of their character level, which is the current rule in 5th ed). These dice can be used during short rests when wounded characters have a chance to assess their conditions and receive treatment for wounds, injuries, and damage. This pool of healing dice refreshes at the rate of one die per long rest. Any extended period of downtime (i.e., in between adventures) completely refreshes the die pool. Otherwise, natural healing will be per 3.5/Pathfinder. For those using Fate points or the equivalent of "hero points" (or Conviction, from True20): A Fate point can be spent to fully refresh one's pool of healing dice.

Rationale: the current 5th ed. rules state that all HP are healed at the end of a long rest. That seems quite out of balance to me, and it takes away a lot of the specialness of healing spells. If a long rest restores all HP then PCs will be all too happy to rely on combat first and foremost, rather than as one of many options that they could employ to resolve conflicts with NPCs and monsters, albeit one that has real consequences and possible drawbacks for them.

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  12:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While house rules are all well and good, and I agree wholeheartedly that there will be some folks for whom the Basic healing rules will work too quickly, I'd strongly encourage looking at the DMG when it comes out. There will almost assuredly be options for extending the duration of short and long rests, for making healing take longer, and otherwise creating a more dangerous campaign world.

Not that you should wait for that book, of course--there are month yet until it's release. Just that you should keep a keen eye for those variant rules when they become available.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  13:32:17  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a bad house rule, but a bit too lethal for my taste. I've been running the playtest (not very different from the final rules.) And I've almost had several TPK's with what should have been easy encounters. No bad luck on the dice were involved, it just happened. If I were to implement this House Rule, we'd be spending more time rolling up new characters than playing the game.
Your Mileage may vary, though. Best of luck, and please let us know how the house rule works out!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  05:00:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the idea is that you don't make long rests common, especially when your adventuring in dangerous places. By limiting when, where, and how long you rest goes a long way to put a stronger emphasis on your hit points and healing resources. Further, you can adjust a long rest to be a longer time OR put constraints on what conditions must be met with a long rest. For example, simply sleeping in your armor on the cobblestone dungeon floor isn't restful enough for a long rest, regardless of how long you're there. You might require a bed, removal of armor, etc. to meet the conditions.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  15:54:11  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been looking for alternatives as well for healing in 5e, and this one sounds good to me. I'm still hoping the DMG will offer alternatives, but the concept that everyone has a "self-healing battery" is nonsense in my opinion. It does mitigate the "First Aid Kit" label and role inevitably applied to Clerics (or other Divine spellcasters), which is a very good thing, so I like canucksaram's take on self-healing.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  01:20:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that a long rest could only once a day at most, and you need a safe situation completely away from danger. Or, at least, that's what I would do.

It really depends on what you think of hit points as being. If it's a measure of how long you can fight without being mortally injured, and every blow that reduces your hit points brings you closer to failure, then it absolutely makes sense that people can heal themselves by recovering, binding up minor wounds, shaking off fatigue, refocusing on the task at hand). If, on the other hand, you think of hit points as some sort of life meter (thanks, Mortal Kombat!), then healing yourself would be tricky.

Myself, I think of hit points as combination of fatigue and bodily damage. By and large, characters aren't really injured until they're down to half hit points (4e called this "bloodied"), at which point they keep taking wounds until they drop. Anyway, that's my concept.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  05:18:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I was under the impression that a long rest could only once a day at most, and you need a safe situation completely away from danger. Or, at least, that's what I would do.

It really depends on what you think of hit points as being. If it's a measure of how long you can fight without being mortally injured, and every blow that reduces your hit points brings you closer to failure, then it absolutely makes sense that people can heal themselves by recovering, binding up minor wounds, shaking off fatigue, refocusing on the task at hand). If, on the other hand, you think of hit points as some sort of life meter (thanks, Mortal Kombat!), then healing yourself would be tricky.

Myself, I think of hit points as combination of fatigue and bodily damage. By and large, characters aren't really injured until they're down to half hit points (4e called this "bloodied"), at which point they keep taking wounds until they drop. Anyway, that's my concept.

Cheers

I have a similar concept considering the amount of damage a character can take, especially at high levels and shrug off to do really difficult things like run, swim, and jump with such wounds. You'd think getting smashed in the body with the club of an ogre would put you into the hospital for a week, but a 5th level Fighter just gets up and goes back to swinging his sword.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  18:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in my conception, a 5th level fighter at 100% hit points who is hit by an ogre's club is managing to turn it into a glancing blow that stings but doesn't really damage him. He still loses the hit points, but until he hits 50%, he's not actually wounded.

The more times he's hit, however, the more he's fatigued and rattled until eventually he leaves an opening that causes him to take a wound.

It would be an interesting houserule, probably best in 4e but really in any edition, where once a character goes to 50% hit points or below, each subsequent hit (not auto damage, etc) causes him/her a wound that has some minor but notable mechanical effect, such as reducing one of your ability score bonuses by 1 (also reducing things that key off that). These wounds can be cumulative, such as taking multiple hits to the hit would reduce your INT score. The wounds can also remain even if your hit points subsequently go back out of bloodied.

Magical healing removes at least one wound (probably 1d4 wounds), and a successful heal check will remove one wound.

Hmm...

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  02:30:11  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It would be an interesting houserule, probably best in 4e but really in any edition, where once a character goes to 50% hit points or below, each subsequent hit (not auto damage, etc) causes him/her a wound that has some minor but notable mechanical effect, such as reducing one of your ability score bonuses by 1 (also reducing things that key off that). These wounds can be cumulative, such as taking multiple hits to the hit would reduce your INT score. The wounds can also remain even if your hit points subsequently go back out of bloodied.

Burning Wheel is famous for this kind of death spiral. I don't think it makes a good fit for D&D. In fact in D&D I would go in the opposite direction : being "bloodied" could trigger some abilities or "recharge" them.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  20:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Skeptic: 4e has a lot of things that do that, indeed.

When instituting house rules, do what works for your game, obviously. No two games are quite the same. If it makes sense for your game, go for it--if it doesn't seem to fit, it's probably not right for your game.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  12:45:23  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik is correct. Long-rests are not automatic, and they do not auto-magically happen once every single day.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  15:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Erik is correct. Long-rests are not automatic, and they do not auto-magically happen once every single day.

Yep. I've been running with the final Playtest since March, and even after switching to the final release when the PHB hit shelves, a long rest is hard to come by, especially in a dungeon. Like Erik said, you have to find a secure place, and even if you think you've found one, you might not have. It's like playing Baldur's Gate, anywhere you rest could spawn a random encounter, spoiling the benefits of a long rest.
Additionally, I'm amazed how many people complain about how strong the PC's are, and they don't even look at the Monsters. The Monsters respond in kind. They are tough, and even the weak ones - I'm looking at you, Mr. CR 2 Intellect Devourer - have abilities that can devastate a PC.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  16:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, in my conception, a 5th level fighter at 100% hit points who is hit by an ogre's club is managing to turn it into a glancing blow that stings but doesn't really damage him. He still loses the hit points, but until he hits 50%, he's not actually wounded.

The more times he's hit, however, the more he's fatigued and rattled until eventually he leaves an opening that causes him to take a wound.

Magical healing removes at least one wound (probably 1d4 wounds), and a successful heal check will remove one wound.

Hmm...

Cheers

I love this idea.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2014 :  15:00:30  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally my houserule for long rest is that you regain all your HD but no HP.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2014 :  17:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

Now I might have to try that. That sounds interesting. How has it worked out in play?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2014 :  19:40:17  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless of edition, I try to use the "Common Sense Philosophy" when PCs take a break.

Who am I, as the DM, to tell them that choosing to stop what they're doing and plop down in exhaustion in the middle of a wide dungeon corridor that any character with any ability to perform scout-type functions can tell is heavily travelled, is a bad idea? If you want to take a break, that's on your party to decide when and pick a spot, secure the area, post guards, etc.

As the DM, (evil grin) I do get a silent vote on how successful their attempt at resting is based upon, in my opinion, how tactically sound their decision was. As an example, dropping in exhaustion and falling asleep with no guards is a pretty unsound tactic. This generally results in being woken up, albeit quite rudely, by being beaten about the head by a pack of chittering Kobolds or suddenly being unable to breathe because a slime has attached itself to your face, and causes learning to occur at a rapid pace.

What the characters choose to do during that rest time, has a direct effect on their condition afterward. For example, as a result of a mobs of a successful critical during a "trip" attempt aimed at one of the PCs, the character may have suffered a sprained ankle. After the battle, if the party takes time to apply first-aid, in this case bracing the ankle, the overall results will be better than if they had done nothing to aid their situation. Maybe the character suffers a subsequent speed penalty. If it's bad enough, perhaps his balance or even dexterity is affected as well. Timely application of first-aid (mundane or magical) can keep party members going longer than just sucking up damage to the point of dropping. In my opinion, it lends a perspective of realism to the effects of battles and provides a necessity for characters to use the "Seven-Ps" or Proper Prior Planning Prevents P1$$ Poor Performance.

My mechanic is to use an individual's CON as a rough guideline. Higher score means the individual is healthier and more robust and thus may heal faster or be able to better "work around" several [insignificant] injuries, given the correct circumstances. A less healthy individual may not battle the effects of a wound as well as someone else. This also has an observed side effect of aiding the characters that seem to receive the most damage, the melee-types, a bit more than ones who are not the primary targets and helps balance the consumption of party resources. In other words, proper first-aid essentially gives a circumstance bonus.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  16:12:49  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

Now I might have to try that. That sounds interesting. How has it worked out in play?

Its more gritty, which is a playstyle we prefer. More HDs are spent after long rests to heal lingering wounds, which leaves less HDs available to spend during short rest, thus relying more on magic healing for support and draining more ressources. We're happy with it so far!

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  16:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Its more gritty, which is a playstyle we prefer. More HDs are spent after long rests to heal lingering wounds, which leaves less HDs available to spend during short rest, thus relying more on magic healing for support and draining more ressources. We're happy with it so far!

Sounds good! What level are you?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  03:39:30  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sounds good! What level are you?

We're level 10 now.

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 29 Sep 2014 03:40:01
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  20:00:24  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the idea of regaining hit-dice, but not hit-points.

I'm going to use that, and ask my DM for the current campaign to do so.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000