Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My Kickstarter (now with 100% more Ed Greenwood)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  16:56:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Shamelessly not Realms related, but if you're a fan of my work (particularly GHOSTWALKER or the SHADOWBANE series), check out my similarly themed comic book Kickstarter. Also if you like superheroes, booze, and/or all the ninjas.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3546342/justice-vengeance-libations-for-the-dead-vol-1

EDIT: Also, check this out: Ed Greenwood pimps JUSTICE/VENGEANCE

Cheers,
Erik

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 24 Aug 2014 20:11:44

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  23:29:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, I'm on my way to check it out!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  13:10:54  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes looks really cool.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  04:29:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. And the premise sounds kind of cool as well.

I'll see if my monthly Kickstarter budget can allow for this...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  11:15:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm down...I like comics and mostly like you too.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  00:28:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drunken ninja's? My curiosity is piqued

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  04:44:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this... I've mentioned here before how several of my work colleagues are also fans of Erik's books [after I introduced them to these works, of course ]. So it should come as no surprise that when I mentioned Erik's working on a comic book via Kickstarter, they all said it would be something they're likely to back!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  16:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I just bring you some New Holland Dragon's Milk in trade on Thursday next? :) It'll let you role play a drunken ninja if so inspired....

See you next week, buddy.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  22:00:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everybody for the support! I really appreciate it.

One of the main reasons you should back the Kickstarter is to see all the cool Backer updates that I'm putting out. So much good lore about my setting and characters!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  12:24:38  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Can I just bring you some New Holland Dragon's Milk in trade on Thursday next? :) It'll let you role play a drunken ninja if so inspired....

See you next week, buddy.

What is in that dragon milk? Oh, to play an inebriated tengu ninja at Steve Schend's table...

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2014 :  16:59:39  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's all support Erik!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  16:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to let people know that my Kickstarter is in its last week and a half. If you were holding off on backing it, now's the time!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  02:59:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm ramping up the initiative at work. I know there are de Bie fans here, so I'm hoping they'll be inclined to support Erik's efforts for this project.

Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  19:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
plz put more lesbians in your stuff and i might support it.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  22:15:53  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roseweave

Funny you should mention that. This is from the Kickstarter Rewards. Bold emphasis mine.

quote:
Reward selection
Pledge $250 or more
Supergroup: "Keep 'em Coming," plus work with the Author to create a minor hero who will appear in the book. (Either in Libations for the Dead or a subsequent story arc.)
Limited (2 of 5 remaining)

Reward selection
Pledge $250 or more
Rogue's Gallery: Same as "Supergroup," except it's a villain.
Limited (3 of 5 remaining)
Estimated delivery: Sep 2015

Seems there is an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  01:40:34  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was wrong

Edited by - silverwolfer on 23 Aug 2014 01:41:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  17:33:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellow scribes, this looks really worth it to me!
Not much time left, so rush in while you can!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  17:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm actually very committed to presenting a spectrum of sexualities in my work. My World of Ruin series has a couple of entirely lesbian characters. (And you'd LOVE SHADOWBANE 4 in this regard.)

One of the primary characters in my comic is a bisexual woman, and there are plenty of lesbian characters. And yes, I would be happy (thrilled, even!) to create a lesbian hero if someone wants to have that happen.

So yes, there will be girls who like girls. Next question?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  20:11:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't take it from me, take it from Ed:

Ed Greenwood pimps JUSTICE/VENGEANCE

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  22:24:23  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, stuff like this really irritates me. Erik has written a few high quality books for the Realms. He's constantly engaging with fans on the Internet, and I've heard he's at many of the FR conferences/panels/etc. as well. Why can it not be enough to support his work because he works hard to promote and improve the Realms?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to see more gay characters in the Realms, but are you going to refuse to support good fantasy just because it doesn't have the character demographics you prefer? All that aside, Erik probably uses more gay characters than any other FR writer. So if you think there should be a wider range of sexual orientations featured in FR, he's not the guy to be lobbying for that.

He's free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Ilira and Fayne (2 of his major characters) are quite clearly bisexual. None of the others strike me as being gay or bisexual, though Lilten wouldn't surprise me. Still, that's 2 "non traditional" main characters in 1 series. As for other FR authors:

I know that RAS has a gay monk who is now a main character (Afafrenfere), and it's always been hinted that Quenthel Baenre is a lesbian, though she's a supporting character. Dahlia was also bisexual. If you recall, this was the source of her antagonistic relationship with Sylora. And it's worth noting that Kimmuriel is likely asexual.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head. I know Ed has a few, but others can help with those. However, authors should feel free to tell stories the way they wish, without being guilted into addressing political, social, or moral issues they may not feel comfortable discussing. Because we all know that if authors attempt to tackle such characters, the utmost delicacy is required. If the character isn't portrayed perfectly, the same people who demanded a wider variety of characters will be labeling the author a bigot for how they wrote the character.
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  04:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa guys.

There's a general lack of (properly canonical, within the media itself) queer characters in realms lore and western fantasy in general which is one of the reasons I'm a bit defensive about it. From what little I do know, I know Erik does write queer characters, which is why I decided to comment, it wasn't random or out of nowhere. I had actually been researching characters related to the Church of Sune recently which is how I came upon this fact. If there is going to be even more of that, then I support it and will consider donating(I am pretty poor and stuck on disability so I have to watch my dosh).

Is that reasonable enough?

Edited by - Roseweave on 25 Aug 2014 04:35:43
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  04:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

quote:

Funny you should mention that. This is from the Kickstarter Rewards. Bold emphasis mine.

quote:
Reward selection
Pledge $250 or more
Supergroup: "Keep 'em Coming," plus work with the Author to create a minor hero who will appear in the book. (Either in Libations for the Dead or a subsequent story arc.)
Limited (2 of 5 remaining)

Reward selection
Pledge $250 or more
Rogue's Gallery: Same as "Supergroup," except it's a villain.
Limited (3 of 5 remaining)
Estimated delivery: Sep 2015

Seems there is an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is.

that would be awesome, shame i'm poor as hell.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  15:20:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, no need to argue. There's enough queerness for everyone.

And you don't need to spend money to support the Kickstarter (though I certainly encourage it)--what I need now are people boosting the signal: talk about it on social media, tell your friends and family. Help make this happen!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  18:24:00  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aight, I'll see if I can get some noise on tumblr in that case.
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  18:30:59  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here you go.

http://crystallineprincess.tumblr.com/post/95746548790/erik-scott-de-bie-is-one-of-the-only-guys-who
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  18:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet! Thanks.

And like I said, if/when it happens, the next Shadowbane novel will DEFINITELY be right up your alley.

Also, I recently published a story about Lady Vengeance in the This Mutant Life: Bad Company anthology, which might be to your interests.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  19:51:23  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decent taste in comics btw.
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  00:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try and get fandomsandfeminism to reblog it too. More queer ladies in comics is always appreciated.

They better bring back Phyla-vell soon >:|

Edited by - Roseweave on 26 Aug 2014 00:31:48
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  01:18:24  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here you go.

http://crystallineprincess.tumblr.com/post/95746548790/erik-scott-de-bie-is-one-of-the-only-guys-who

Here's the snapshot...
79 backers
$3,730 pledged of $13,250 goal
4 days to go

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  14:50:12  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
poopy only 30 hours to go :(

Mod edit: Language, please.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Aug 2014 16:43:22
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  05:34:54  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we've got this whole kickstarter jazz backwards. How much would it take for you to write some fanfic? Particularly the Shadowfox chapbooks. If only I had unlimited funds, I would pay you to write me whatever I would like

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000