Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Are a monks fist considered weapons AD&D 3,5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  11:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all here in Candlekeep.. hope you all are fine.. time goes quickly and I have been away from AD&D for e long time.. but back for a experiment... but have some problems with the rules.. so I hope I can get some help from all the wise people here :)

My question is :

Are a monks fist considered weapons AD&D 3,5 as I understand.. he is considered armed even if he is unarmed.... if yes.. could I use the feat: smiting spell to imbue my hands with spells ?

SMITING SPELL
You can channel the energy of a touch spell into a weapon,
causing the spell to discharge when you strike an opponent.
Prerequisites:
Base attack bonus +1, caster level 1st.
Benefit:
You can alter a spell with a range of touch to
transfer its energy from your hand to a weapon that you
hold. The next time you strike an opponent with that
weapon, the spell discharges. The target takes the normal
damage and effects of a successful attack in addition to
the spell’s effect. Once you place a spell into a weapon,
you must discharge it within 1 minute, or its energy dis-
sipates harmlessly.
You can place a smiting spell on a piece of ammunition or a
projectile, such as a sling bullet, an arrow, or a crossbow bolt.
In such a case, the spell dissipates if the attack misses. The
spell cannot be placed on a bow, crossbow, sling, or similar
weapon that uses ammunition.
A smiting spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than
the spell’s actual level.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  12:54:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

By this text could be considered armed only when the monk gains benefit from be so classed. So indeed yes smiting spell would effective for a monk using hands only as a weapon.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  14:03:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my mind that is a total waste of a feat. You are talking about using a spell to transfer magic from your hands (a touch based spell) into... your hands. That's redundant if you ask me, so smiting spell would be a waste since by the text it only transfers touch based spells anyways.

There are other spells however specifically about enchanting a weapon that you could use on your hands INSTEAD of on a weapon.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  14:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for an Enlightened Fist fist I think this could be good:)

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  15:02:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's good if your Unarmed Attack has a decent damage die. I'd also look at the feat Superior Unarmed Strike which is pretty cool too. Further, you can add the effects of both the Smite Spell plus something like Stunning Fist.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  16:51:01  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I missing something about the smite spell Diffan? Couldn't the spell alone work the same as the spell and a feat?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  17:23:19  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Am I missing something about the smite spell Diffan? Couldn't the spell alone work the same as the spell and a feat?

Well yes, what the feat essentially does is allow you to exchange the "touch" portion of the spell to a weapon attack, adding the weapon's damage and critical threat range into effect. For a Monk, instead of making a touch attack with a spell (say Shocking Grasp) and only deal the spell's damage he can make a regular attack, add in his amped up Unarmed Strike and even add in something like Stunning Fist.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000