Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Adventuring Companies of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  15:34:03  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Looks good to me. Keep going.

Fixed as requested. Do you want stat blocks? I just whipped those off the top of my head. May do some dwarves next. Does this group have magic support? The description made it sound like a bunch of axe-swingin magic hatin warriors.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  04:32:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

Fixed as requested. Do you want stat blocks? I just whipped those off the top of my head. May do some dwarves next. Does this group have magic support? The description made it sound like a bunch of axe-swingin magic hatin warriors.
Thank you. :)

Stat blocks aren't needed. What is needed are basic class and level information.

I didn't envision the group as having any magical support, though it's possible one of the dwarves or humans could have a few levels of cleric or shaman.

Regarding barbarian aversion to magic: that's a concept that I view as a holdover from previous editions, and not necessarily something that needs to be carried forward. One or more of the barbarians might have an aversion to magic (perhaps the younger/newer ones), but I wouldn't imagine the humans as a whole to share that tendency.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the group fleshed out.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  14:08:55  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

Thank you. :)

Stat blocks aren't needed. What is needed are basic class and level information.

I didn't envision the group as having any magical support, though it's possible one of the dwarves or humans could have a few levels of cleric or shaman.

Regarding barbarian aversion to magic: that's a concept that I view as a holdover from previous editions, and not necessarily something that needs to be carried forward. One or more of the barbarians might have an aversion to magic (perhaps the younger/newer ones), but I wouldn't imagine the humans as a whole to share that tendency.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the group fleshed out.

Oh no i wasn't implying an aversion to magic from any specific racial or tribal group....just this particular company. I just wanted to be true to your vision of the company. I'm sure they see the usefulness of magic in weapons etc, but may not necessarily welcome a magic user with open arms....complicates things too much with all those fireballs and lightning flying around in roiling melees

Edited by - Cards77 on 16 Oct 2014 14:10:20
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  06:56:08  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cards will you be adding more NPC descriptions? I was hoping to get all or most of the dwarf/barbarians before I add the descriptions to the group entry.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  21:23:18  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seva "The Snake" CN Human Female Rogue 4/Barbarian 1

Seva is a member of the Tree Ghost tribe. Small and lithe with a psychique more akin to an elf than a proud and hearty descendant of Netherese blood, her companions joke that her bloodline may have included wood elves at some point in the (not so?) distant past.

A true child of the woodlands, having grown up roaming and hunting under the ancient boughs of the High Forest, Seva moves with the grace of a hunting cat. Mysterious and dark, she is fast becoming one of Harbold's most trusted scouts....and when necessary, assassin.

Seva is an astute herbalist, using ancient Tree Ghost lore to brew poisons, antidotes, and in a pinch, other concoctions from nearly every useful plant found in the North. Seva has earned the undying gratitude of her companions; her antidotes saved the life of a Hellraiser on more than occasion.

Her stealth and penchant for poisons has earned her the moniker of "the Snake"...respected and given a wide berth by most.

Many underestimate Seva at first glance, only to feel the bite of her poisoned daggers when they least expect it.

Edited by - Cards77 on 28 Oct 2014 22:15:11
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  07:18:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. Looking forward to the next Hellraiser.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  01:26:50  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thakken Deepdelver CG Shield Dwarf Male Fighter 3/Cleric 4

A devout cleric of Moradin, Thakken is a fearless warpriest and healer. He's given his life fully to Moradin, marching stoically into combat. His grim battle chants roll across the field, steeling his comrades nerves in the face of terrifying adversaries. Thakken is one of the few magic users in the Hellraisers, and his value to Harbold is unfathomable. He stands firm in the face of horrific undead, holding high the glory of Moradin. Many of the Hellraisers benefit from his battle healing and fight all the harder when they know Thakken is at their back. Thakken considers himself somewhat of an ambassador among the stout folk, bent on converting other wandering shield dwarves to Moradin's service and reminding them of their duty to their race and clans.

Edited by - Cards77 on 02 Nov 2014 00:13:43
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2014 :  02:30:20  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gart Stonespear CG Shield Dwarf Male Fighter 9

One of the senior members of the Hellraisers, this grizzled old timer lost his left eye and part of his ear to a behir. Harbold gave up trying to push Gart out of the Hellraisers long ago. Gart prefers the company of his shield brothers, whom he considers clan and family. Having served in many conflicts over the decades, he's an astute tactician, both above and below ground. Intimately familiar with the common strategies of most of the shield dwarves' ancient enemies (including drow) Harbold is secretly relieved the old veteran is still around to help mentor his less experienced fighters.

Edited by - Cards77 on 07 Nov 2014 13:15:56
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2014 :  05:40:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last line in Gart's write-up is killer. Good stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2014 :  14:45:22  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taric Grimfeld CN Human Male Barbarian 3/Ranger 3 Taric's parents were members of the Thunderbeast tribe.

When he was but a young boy of about 13 winters, the tribe was attacked by lizard men near the Mere of Dead Men. Taric was separated from the tribe and was pursued by the attackers into the Mere. Lost and alone in difficult terrain, Taric managed to lead his pursuers into a crocodile infested pool. A series of lucky events led to his eventual escape from the Mere.

Harbold found him laying unconscious, exhausted and weak near the High Road. He spent the rest of the season with the Hellraisers, serving as a squire of sorts to the dwarves and barbarians.

An older ranger, Soren, took Taric under his wing and taught him Uthgardt ranger lore. A few months later, Soren was tragically killed by drow raiders near Neverwinter. The loss of Soren affected Taric deeply.

He left the Hellraisers to locate the Thunderbeast tribe and his parents. He located the tribe only to find his family had been killed by the attacking lizard men when he was forced to flee into the Mere. Taric became enraged with grief and returned to the Mere of Dead Men that very winter.

He spent many months searching and tracking various lizardmen tribes near where the attack occurred. Using his natural ability as a mimic, he lured and killed as many lizard men as he could until his thirst for revenge had been slaked. He eventually left the swamp and wandered about the North.

Harbold and Taric crossed paths again in Luskan and Harbold agreed to take Taric in despite his young age. Several years later he has grown into a superb long range scout, and one of the few men alive to extensively explore the Mere of Dead Men. His knowledge of swamps and moors is unmatched.

Taric's soul is at ease now, having discovered a sense of belonging among the Hellraisiers and something of a father figure in Harbold. Taric now has hope and his future is bright....if he can stay alive.

Edited by - Cards77 on 08 Nov 2014 00:25:04
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2014 :  02:33:41  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Durgrim Ironhand CG male Shield Dwarf Ranger 5/Fighter 1

Durgrim was formerly a member of the elite Deep Scouts of Citadel Adbar. Frustrated by what he calls "too much sittin' on me arse", he left Citadel Adbar to find his fortune adventuring. He was initially hired by Harbold to guide a foray by the Hellraisers into the Upperdark beneath the Rauvin Mountains. The perilous journey was a success, largely due to Durgrim's skill and comfort operating in the Underdark. Skills such as his are rare to find and usually command a premium. Harbold convinced Durgrim (with a large sum of gold) to stay on. Harbold values Durgrim's specialized knowledge of Underdark lore and operations, which proves invaluable during dungeon delves. Durgrim gives the Hellraisers an unmistakable advantage both in operating underground and advising surface units. Harbold usually puts him in the lead in underground situations....which often prove the most deadly.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2014 :  05:10:57  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cards, that's some good stuff. I like how you wove Taric in and then out and then in again from the Hellraisers. It's more realistic that way and gives us a bite of history that tastes pretty good.

Curious: do you have an idea as to who Durgrim replaced (if anyone) among the Hellraisers?

So, three dwarves down, two to go. I eagerly await your take on Harbold and I hope you'll save him for last.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2014 :  02:18:52  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fennick Coalhewer CG male Shield Dwarf Barbarian 9/Fighter 2

If Harbold is the brains of the Hellraisers, Fennick is the heart and soul. This rollicking, good-natured dwarf was born in Citadel Adbar to a less than prestigious clan. "Coalhewer" is unfortunately also a prolific Duergar clan name.

Growing up, Fennick was ever reminded of this fact, along with accusations that he may have Duergar blood in his family line, even if in the ancient past. His clan struggled, a family of laborers, not craftsman. Fennick did not take well to life in the clan, fighting those who teased him. He learned to fight at a very early age, often along side his relatives as they mined in remote tunnels infested with monsters.

Fennick loved to fight, those who questioned him, those who slandered him, anything and everyone who needed to be shut up, he shut them up. Soon he realized he could fight all his life and neither his clan's lot, nor his own would improve.

After a time, he became disillusioned. He struck out on his own adventures in the North. He didn't understand it at the time but he left hoping that his personal accomplishments could substitute for an unfulfilling clan life.

He met Harbold at the Wildland's Rest, when the Hellraisers were just forming. Harbold could see the intensity in Fennick's eyes belying his easy going nature.

Harbold had learned long ago, few things on Faerun can stop a dwarf who's self-worth is in question.

Sharing much in common, they became inseparable. Fennick's easy going and fun loving nature helping to balance Harbold's grim and cynical outlook.

Fennick's party hard attitude and sheer joy for battle appealed to many of the Utgardt the pair encountered in their journeys. Fennick and Harbold earned great respect among the Utgardt tribes and wandering shield dwarves of the North.

Fennick's battles became the stuff of bard's tales, slaughtering scores of orcs, climbing trees to laugh in the face of trolls, catapulting himself onto giants (so he can poke them in the eye), and jumping head long into tunnels filled with bugbears.

Fennick is in some ways the spiritual leader of the other shield dwarves in the Hellraisers. He has come to terms with the shrinking relevance of clan names and bloodlines, and decided to fight his way to a better life, letting his personal deeds and his axe speak for him, rather than his surname.

In his journey to self-acceptance through heroics, he has found a great joy in living, fighting and enjoying each day, for in the dangerous North tomorrow may never come.

Edited by - Cards77 on 25 Jul 2016 20:20:00
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  00:48:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cards77, you're getting better every write-up. This is good stuff.

EDIT: I added Fennick's to the Hellraiser's entry.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 Jan 2015 07:52:25
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  09:06:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Additions and edits in the month of December:

12/19/2014: Added a link to Dalatha of Wormtower's name (as listed in the writeup for the Company of the Errant Gauntlet) that links to her writeup in the Folk of Cormyr scroll.

12/20/2014: Added a link to Nars Whitesail (as Dalatha above). Minor edits done in the Stormchasers and Company of the Errant Gauntlet entries.

12/22/2014: Added a link to Voruld's writeup.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 23 Dec 2014 08:38:37
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  07:53:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Additions and edits in the month of January 2015:

1/5/2015: Added a link to the writeup for Rasalra of the Many Daggers. Ditto for
Randelio.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 07 Jan 2015 07:46:20
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  02:37:56  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Harbold Mordric CN male shield dwarf fighter 14

Harbold was an orphaned dwarf left to die in the gutters of Waterdeep's Dock Ward. He remembers little about his parents, only that they were forced to flee the mountains, and met a bad end in the alleys of Dock Ward.

He learned to survive as a street urchin in the back alleys of Dock and Trade wards, living among the poor folk, joining gangs for protection. Harbold grew up disillusioned, bitter and burning with anger at the loss of his parents.

A wealthy elderly dwarf took Harbold in when he was still young. He taught Harbold about his shield dwarf heritage, the ways, history and tales of his ancestors that have echoed in every common room of every dwarven stronghold for centuries.

Harbold took a keen interest in the history of the fallen shield dwarf kingdoms of the North.

Harbold's wealthy benefactor was also a very successful merchant. A member of an extensive network of intra and inter-connected circles.

These circles comprised shield dwarves of all stripes: merchants, craftsman, sailors, dockhands, and tavern keepers.

By extension, Harbold became a member of this semi-secret dwarven enclave of Waterdeep. The circles met frequently, often in secret, deep beneath the warehouses, taverns, and inns of Dock Ward.

Their goals? Preserving the written and oral traditions of their ancestors by singing, chanting, drumming, and story-telling. Ensuring that young dwarves did not get lost in the sea of humanity. Providing young dwarves with jobs, education and most importantly, direction. Regardless of their clan name (of lack thereof).

For only in this way would the values, culture and memories of the proud and once great dwarven kingdoms live on.

When Harbold came of age, he signed on with Blazidon "One Eye". Not content with a boring existence as a craftsman or merchant. Harbold was hired on for caravan guard duty and traveled many of the roads and trails of the North. He earned his beard fighting and learning the ways of orcs, goblins and other ancient foes of the dwarves.

The tales of Old Delzoun told to him by the elder dwarves of Waterdeep still haunted him. He would not be content to live out his life as a mere hire sword for someone else!

He returned to Waterdeep and recruited a cadre of other young dwarven warriors. Disillusioned, with seemingly little control over their own destiny, they were the founding members of the "Hellraisers".

Harbold molded them into an elite fighting force, playing upon their common heritage.....as well as their common discontent.

Robbed of their birthright, lost in a sea of humanity, the mighty kingdoms of their ancestors crumbling ruins, their anger brought them together in a singular purpose:

To control their own destiny, and meet their foes with axe in hand.
To die a good death, in honor of their ancestors.
To recapture what glory remained of the mighty dwarven nations of centuries past.
To show the rest of the world, what it means to be a dwarf both in deed and tale.

Harbold became a sound commander, and a shrewd negotiator. The Hellraisers were in high demand, as much for his keen mind as their battlefield acumen.

As the years wore on, fewer and fewer dwarves could be found to join the Hellraisers. Harbold began recruiting the barbarian humans he had fought with..and against so often in the North. In his mind they were the only other fighters he had seen that could rival his band's ferocity.

After years of resisting the cultural demise of the dwarves in his own small way, Harbold was confronted with the very problem he set out to combat.

Too many dwarves were dying on the battlefield, and not enough young dwarves could be found to replace them. Wandering shield dwarves simply weren't settling down and raising families, even if suitable mates could be found.

More often than not, the young shield dwarves that Harbold recruited chose valor over values, battles over birthright, legends over legacy.

Harbold began privately urging older dwarves within the Hellraisers to retire, start families, and pass on the dwarven values and traditions to their offspring.

In typical dwarven fashion, most stubbornly refused Harbold's urgings. Some even privately referred to his suggestions as hypocritical.

Wasn't Harbold the one that brought them together to die an honorable death in battle? To showcase the dwarven culture in both deed and tale?

Nevertheless, some of Harbold's veteran dwarves DID settle down and start families, draining the Hellraisers of even more experienced, stalwart dwarven warriors.

In order to counter act the loss of so many cornerstone warriors, Harbold was forced to recruit outside his normal circles of somewhat limited dwarven recruits.

It was clear that times were changing, and like all great enterprises, the Hellraisers would need to adapt or perish.

Harbold began taking in select human barbarians. After being defeated in battle, some of the humans were given the choice of joining the Hellraisers, or being put to the sword. Others, Harbold recruited specifically based on their reputation in the North.

Before long, humans from various barbarian tribes were as numerous as dwarves in the Hellraisers.

This shift in demographics also necessitated a major shift in operations and tactics for the Hellraisers. Harbold needed methods to mesh two forces comprised largely of polar opposites.

The dwarves were disciplined, tightly structured, and fought with singular purpose (though they love their ale Moradin knows).

The humans were a mismatched lot of disorganized, ferocious and blood thirsty out casts.

In consultation with his senior warriors and other mercenary commanders at Shieldmeet, new fighting tactics were developed to take advantage of the strengths of both the human and dwarven fighter and barbarians. Some techniques were borrowed from the Tuigan Horde, while others have been used by drow and dwarves for centuries....the techniques just haven't been employed in a mixed unit such as this.

The barbarian humans, with their superior speed and sheer ferocity would be used as shock troops. They would attack the enemy at full speed, while flanking if possible. Swift and ferocious human attacks wrecked havoc among the enemy ranks, sowing chaos and disorganization among the enemy lines.

With the enemy shocked and in disarray, the dwarves would methodically hit the enemies most vulnerable spot with wedge formations (usually a trio of dwarves).

This usually resulted in dividing the enemy, driving them apart, while the humans continued to attack from the flanks. In this way the group could easily defeat inferior adversaries far outnumbering their own.

When cramped quarters and/or darkness precluded the use of the humans mobility, the dwarves blocked tunnels in stout square formations, a dwarf on each corner, with a taller human in the center.

This allowed the humans to easily employ ranged weapons against a foe, as their "dwarven box" protected them.

Other times, Harbold brilliantly devised situation specific tactics. This led to the now famous "dwarf tossing" incident. A stalemate in narrow tunnels led to Lander throwing a (willing) dwarven beserker behind the enemy group.

Another favorite tactic used when enemies cramp narrow tunnels, but low ceilings preclude the use of "dwarf tossing", is the tactic affectionately known as "bowling for kobolds".

Harbold and Durgrim devised a set of very small steel wheels that could be quickly attached to the boots and wrists of a dwarven beserker's plate armor.

Holding a flask of oil in each hand, a dwarf could be rolled down a tunnel toward the enemy at great speed. Upon nearing the enemy line, the flasks would be dumped, the oil ignited by sparks thrown from the wheels.

Very little is known about Harbold among the general populace, aside from his reputation. He is a very private dwarf, and also very wealthy thanks to a number of shrewd investments. He no longer needs to fight, he simply does so because that's all he knows.

He has agents in nearly every city of North, bidding and securing contracts, and handling logistics long before the Hellraisers even head that direction.

In this way Harbold has avoided the two things that usually lead to the disbanding of a mercenary band: lack of work and boredom leading to desertion.

The competition for top recruits, especially dwarven adventurers is fierce. Being able to offer constant action (and coin), even in the "off season" gives the Hellraiser's a distinct advantage over other companies.

What people don't know is Harbold is quite sensitive (for a dwarf). His hard upbringing gave him a deep empathy for those born into unfortunate circumstances. He has a particular soft spot for children, particularly dwarven and gnomish children.

He practices a special kind of philanthropy by maintaining agents in most of the demihuman enclaves of the North such as the Undercity in Silverymoon and Dock Ward. He supplies his agents with coin to anonymously sponsor and help the orphaned, sick, and children born with deformities and/or disabilities. He funds their basic needs and education. He has been known to wander neighborhoods, visiting friends and watching children play and interact. His secret wish is to spark a renaissance of dwarven culture among the human dominated cities by caring for every dwarven and gnomish child he can and educating them about dwarven values and history. He holds great bitterness for his counterparts, who are content to withdraw to their dwarfholds, contributing nothing while the race continues to decline. In his own small way, he hopes he can make a difference.

He's also realized that by extension, he is helping groom the next generation of great dwarven adventurers.

His agents have recently stepped up their recruiting efforts in every city. He is paying double the usual rate for experienced dwarf adventurers, paying for their transport to and housing in, Fireshear.

Rumor among some back alley recruiters is that Harbold has accepted a major contract, and is planning a very large operation that will necessitate increasing the ranks of the Hellraisers.

Other rumors mention that Harbold commissioned a large underground training complex to be built near Fireshear, and he's sending his new recruits there to be trained in underground operations.

Some rival mercenary leaders maintain that he's preparing to form larger auxiliary units under the command of his more experienced members.

Yet other rumors hint that this new contract will be unlike anything ever attempted before, and has the potential to radically change the dynamics of trade in the North.

These rumors are truth, but not the whole truth.

*************************IN PROGRESS**************

Edited by - Cards77 on 26 Jul 2016 14:19:23
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  02:48:06  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see this scroll back in Active Topics. Looking forward to your next entry, Cards.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  03:22:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeremy, I know you've been busy of late, but I must know, who is the Rogue Cloak?

I assume he/she is a Volo analogue, but have you detailed him/her?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 13 Apr 2015 04:11:41
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  05:25:41  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Cards! We missed you.

And hooray for Harbold! I am looking forward to seeing what you have in store for him and for us. :)

RE: the Rogue Cloak.
She was meant to be a voice for use in my various write ups for adventurers and everything else I do--and one of four female voices, actually--like Elminster is used in the Volo's Guides: he breaks in via the footnotes and clarifies things, or presents a point of view that hews to the wiser.

She and the other voices are by no means as experienced as the Old Mage, but between them they know more about everyday Cormyr than most. My hope was to get used to each voice through the write ups, then I wanted to detail each of the voices in their own group write up, complete with a sample of the four women conversing about the goings on in Cormyr, in private at a club or residence in Suzail.

I have not written anything specific about the Rogue Cloak yet.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 13 Apr 2015 07:08:29
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2015 :  07:14:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4/18/15: Doing minor edits.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 19 Apr 2015 07:15:51
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  06:10:34  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Scions of the Talking Door

At the Inn of the Dripping Dagger, Trades Ward, Waterdeep, one may encounter visitors who have no interest in staying for longer than a few drinks. They pass the time in silence, waiting for the entrance to the Inn to utter a cryptic phrase. If they don't keep buying, they are made to leave so others with coin can take their place.

When the Talking Door speaks, paying customers, agents of the city and the jacks and lasses employed to sit either side of the door day and night all strain to hear every word.

So it was that "five in a room, awake and alert, shall find great wealth where a dragon sits the throne" was uttered by the Door four hours past midnight. At the time there were nine souls in the main room: five customers who'd rented rooms (the place is closed to non-renters after the sun sets) and four employees.

None of the customers knew each other before that night, but they became fast friends before the sun tried in vain to warm Waterdeep's cold streets the following morning.

Confident that the door was describing them, and equally confident that it spoke of far off Cormyr, the five settled their accounts and left the Inn of the Dripping Dagger that afternoon for The Forest Kingdom.

The five settled on a party name their first night on the road and nearly met their doom that same evening at the hands of cutthroats sent to acquire whatever knowledge the Scions possessed of the Talking Door, then eliminate them.

When the Scions arrived in Cormyr, they had repelled six more attacks, in each case surviving with little more than their lives. They wear the looks of the constantly hunted, always wary warrior, who sees death in every corner.

The Scions are ignorant of Cormyr's customs and laws, are unchartered and have no clue where to find adventure and riches, but they are convinced the attacks will stop now that they have arrived.

They are wrong.

The Scions have chosen Arabel over Suzail as their home base, assuming it to be more like Waterdeep and perhaps more hospitable to their tastes.

They are:
Kleannsur Hortothul, Just Hand of Torm. Cleric 7
Jessalythe Sparrantar, independent adventurer-wizard. Wizard 7
Blacksunder the Rogue (and murderer for hire back in Waterdeep). Fighter 3, Thief 3
Awntrus "The Black Glove" Malaver, formerly an unguilded investigator. Fighter 1, Thief 5
Alathea Gryphonsar, Sorcerer 4, Thief 2

NOTE: the Scions were orginally written up in my scroll for generating ideas about Cormyr.

If you are interested in learning more about the Talking Door and the Inn of the Dripping Dagger, see the Eye on the Realms article "The Talking Door" in Dragon #410.

Some of the further utterances of the talking door may be found here.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  05:48:46  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff Cards!!!

I eagerly await the conclusion to Harbold's story.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 23 Apr 2015 06:13:05
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  21:48:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Maidenseekers of Purdrim

In the year 389 DR, nighthaunts swarmed the battlements of the fortress called the Phelhelra and stole away with Satrap Radraud el Qarylyrskal's daughter Phelhele, after whom the fortress was named.

At irregular intervals in the centuries that followed, every settlement in the Marching Mountains was raided at least once by nighthaunts; each time the creatures abducted a maiden on the night of her twentieth birthday. The reach of the creatures extended from the high peak of Mount Abbalayat to Faeressar, and deep into the otherwise forgotten mines of Purdrim, Alakhim and Maeretelim, where rich traders, satraps and pashas chose to hide their wealth and the wives and daughters of their enemies, each kidnapped and held for ransom.

For eleven hundred years various mages, adventurers, priests and professional monster hunters have attempted to track the nighthaunts and divine their location. Most simply failed despite their best efforts, though they found much in the way of adventure thanks to the proximity of the Marching Mountains and Tethyr, the former a nigh endless source of roaming monsters and brigands, the later home to raiders and smugglers eager to find riches in the Marching Mountains. The handful of investigators that made any headway in their searches simply disappeared.

The legend of the nighthaunts and the fate of the maidens have been a source for much storytelling and conjecture in both Calimshan and Tethyr. Coupled with the writings of investigators and the ballads of bards, much attention has always been focused on the Marching Mountains by the curious and adventuresome.

In the year 1482 DR a company of adventurers formed in the shadow of the Phelhelra's battlements (at this time the fortress is in Tethyrian hands), intending to solve once and for all the mystery of the nighthaunts and the maidens. After narrowly escaping the onslaught of an inn-sized gibbering orb lurking in the Phelhelra's depths, the adventurers found a map to the lost mine of Purdrim.

There they discovered an account written by a Tethyrian Crown Investigator searching for clues to the whereabouts of Veherak el Paeredrhal, called “the Pasha of Purdrim," and onetime master of the Phelhelra. The account held that Paeredrhal was haunted by a force unseen in the Phelhelra and he believed the nighthaunts had sent something to keep watch over him. Rather than face what he believed would be his doom at the hands of the creature, the Pasha of Purdrim bought his freedom by being transformed into a wyvern and fleeing to a range of mountains far to the north.

His wealth was meant to follow, but Tethyrian agents seized much of it. For his part the Crown Investigator was discovered, imprisoned and tortured in Purdrim.

Now calling themselves the Maidenseekers of Purdrim, the adventurers have traveled to Cormyr, where they believe the Pasha of Purdrim lives to this day in Wyvern form somewhere in the Thunder Peaks. After a short stop in Suzail, the Maidenseekers intend to travel to the High Dale where they have heard of a place called the Wyvernfang, and of the family of wyverns that lair nearby.

What the Maidenseekers do not yet realize is that they will be in Suzail for a handful of days at the same time as the very missing maidens whose fate they hope to discover. The later will depart Suzail after finishing their business with the gem merchants who flock to Suzail whenever the Magnificent Maidens are in residence.[1]

The Maidenseekers are:[2]
Izal el-Hardem of Zazzespur. Wizard 12
Rikshel el-Hardem of Zazzespur. Wizard 6
Ertrym Rostrarl. Warlock 6, Fighter 4
Tonthyn of Tempus. Cleric 10
Aumbrae Hornshulder. Ranger 4, Sorcerer 4
Ollyn Marbruk. Thief 10
Flarm Lhesklar. Fighter 8

[1] See the entry for Kythorn (June) and the accompanying footnote in the Current Clack entry for 1485 DR (The Year of the Iron Dwarf's Vengeance).

[2] Izal and Rikshel are in truth Izmurn Raelane and Althro Vaelhond, the former a master wizard believed by many to have been slain by the magic of The Spellhound, the later an apprentice of Althro's and one of several apprentices that The Spellhound eagerly hunts to this day. Information on The Spellhound can be found in the Eye On the Realms article "Thormil’s Secret" in Dungeon #194.

Ertrym Rostrarl was a warlock of some power, whose infernal pact was severed after an unfortunate encounter with The Sword of Spells. He has embraced the life of a warrior, and hopes to one day see the Sword destroyed forever. See the article "The Sword of Spells" in Dragon #417.

Tonthyn is a Battlepriest of Tempus and a native of Zazzespur. He was responsible for reviving Aumbrae, Ollyn and Flarm after these three were overcome by the same dread presence that haunted the Pasha of Purdrim centuries ago and flung themselves off the high battlements of the Phelhelra.

Aumbrae comes from Berdusk and is the victim of a deep-seated fear of the undead--something grown even worse after her encounter at the Phelhelra.

Ollyn hails from Tashluta. He is a veteran adventurer and exceptionally agile. He believes the trip to Cormyr is pointless, and argues almost daily that the Maidenseekers should return to the Phelhelra to destroy the unseen menace that nearly killed him.

Flarm is quiet and dependable, with much experience watching over valuable objects and important persons thanks to years spent as a guard in Elturel. Flarm's brush with death motivated him to acquire magic that allows him to see invisible object and creatures, and sense the presence of undead in close proximity.

NOTE: The Maidenseekers are another adventuring band created after I generated some adventuring company names for my Cormyr Ideas thread.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  06:15:34  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wrapped up the entry for the Laughing Dragons. Long overdue, that.

It's an information-heavy entry. Some of it could serve as seeds for entries in my other scrolls: the manor house and the location where the gargoyles of Illusk reside could find their way to the Unique Sites & Sights: Cormyr, for example.

Likewise the adventurers and other contacts the Laughing Dragons rely on could be fleshed out HERE and HERE, respectively.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 23 Aug 2015 06:18:12
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2015 :  07:57:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friends of the Ghost Knight

This band of riders on horseback counts thirteen experienced adventurers in its ranks. From a dilapidated waykeep in the vicinity of Scornubel, the Friends of the Ghost Knight ride out to assist travelers caught in snowstorms, guide healers, merchants and the lost through unfamiliar terrain, and direct the road-weary and tired to simple way stop shelters previously constructed by the Ghost Knights.

The adventurers take their name from the legendary Ghost Knight of Galardoun.[1] Much like that strange apparition, the Friends of the Ghost Knight work to help anyone traveling along the Trade Way that connects Scornubel to Triel, and the road bordering the River Chionthar that runs from Scornubel to Elturel. Unlike their namesake, the Ghost Knights do not wander out of their chosen territory; instead they remain in the triangle of land formed by the roads and trails that connect the three cities.

The Friends of the Ghost Knight were once two separate parties of adventurers. The Wandering Warpriests were a collection of adventurer priests and sword-swinging lay worshippers of the Red Knight, Tempus and Tyr. They became trapped in the tunnels beneath an abandoned waykeep due west of Scornubel, after the way in collapsed in a heap of tunnel-clogging rubble that slew half their number. The Warpriests were hours from succumbing to starvation and darkness-spawned madness when the leader of the Company of the Helm and Heart summoned forth a huge magical hand to dig and claw at the rubble, drawing on his life force to maintain the spell.

One at a time the Wandering Warpriests were carefully lifted up and out by the massive hand, and tended to by the members of the Helm and Heart. The Warpriests were told their rescue was due to the persistent harrying of a sturdy, flying warhelm that dogged the members of the Helm and Heart until they acquiesced and followed it out of Elturel almost as far as Scornubel, before turning north into unkempt lands dotted with old ruins and keeps.[2]

The Ghost Knight of Galardroun disappeared as soon as the Warpriests were freed, and hasn’t been seen by any of the adventurers since. In the days that followed, the members of both adventuring parties quelled the remaining terrors that lurked beneath the keep, and buried the remains of the fallen Warpriests. After, they told stories of their adventures in the Heartlands, the common dangers threatening all, and shared their dreams for the future. The two parties agreed to join forces and repay the kindness of the Ghost Knight by extending it to others.

Twelve Friends ride out from the waykeep ruin, while the former leader of the Helm and Heart remains behind, having never fully recovered from the spellcasting that damaged his soul. He spends his days creating magic items to assist his fellows, and scries the region for persons in need of aid. When trouble arises in multiple locations, the Friends will split up into two banners of six riders each, or three banners of four riders. No ride of Friends is less than four in number.

The Friends of the Ghost Knight stoutly refuse to entertain the curious, sages, wizards or anyone else seeking to learn more about the mysterious Ghost Knight of Galardoun; only persons invited by the Friends, or merchants making scheduled deliveries, are welcome inside. All the rest are addressed from atop the waykeep’s battlements by one or more of the Friends, and informed of the following: the Friends of the Ghost Knight follow its example, and anyone else desiring for a safe, swift journey to their destination should do the same. The Friends possess no special knowledge of the Ghost Knight of Galardoun, they do not keep it behind the walls of the keep, they do not know from whence it came, they do not worship it, nor do they know what its true purpose is.[3]

Despite these claims, those who’ve sought out the Friends of the Ghost Knight swear the waykeep is surrounded by one or more floating helms that roam the perimeter. These helms emit light like a torch and trail faintly glowing gossamer-like capes in their wake. Those who’ve received aid by night from the Friends claim to have seen several floating helms lighting the way in front of the mounted adventurers as they approached.

For three long months, the efforts of the Friends to replenish and repair shelters, and to assist those in need, have been curtailed by attacks and ambushes perpetrated by rival adventurers (who’re always active in the keep and tower-riddled region west of Scornubel) and lone wizards that cast one or two spells at most, then disappear. The most recent attack took on a decidedly formal appearance: the Friends of the Ghost Knight faced a like number of armored riders on horseback across a long field. The riders were shorn of head and neck; fleshless skulls enveloped in flames floated over their torsos. The skulls shot forth as one with frightening speed, and the ground shook as the headless riders gave chase with lowered lances and drawn swords. [4]

The Friends of the Ghost Knight are:

• Brulder Hargron, LG Wizard 8
• Glyth Blackshanks, CG Thief, 7
• Dorlym “the Dread Devil” Hammerlath, LN Tiefling Fighter 6
• Saerphreen “Bloodeyes” Sunderhost, CG Cleric of Tempus 6
• Sammurhlra of Blustich, LG Cleric (Red Knight) 8
• Imberigo “Lance” Hornlance, LN Cleric (Tyr) 7
• Barrok Erlurender, CG Cleric (Tempus) 4, Fighter 1
• Imbra “Heartstop” Hallort, N Fighter 5
• Raskur of Iriaebor, NG Fighter 4
• “Lady” Lathdue of Eveningstar, LG Half-elf Cleric (Tyr) 2, Fighter 1
• Cymmarra of Highcastle, LG Cleric (Red Knight) 3
• Mulcaster of Tyrluk, N Fighter 2
• Clarn of the Gate, CG Cleric (Tempus) 2

(Note: The four members of the Helm and Heart are listed first, the surviving Warpriests after. Each adventurer is assumed to be human, unless listed otherwise.)

[1] Please see the Eye on the Realms article “The Ghost Knight of Galardoun” by Ed Greenwood, Dungeon 196.

[2] This area of ruined waykeeps, battlements and towers sits about a half-day’s ride to the west and south of Scornubel. The War of Lords saw most of these structures gutted by fire and expunged of their occupants, with the victors declaring that none were to occupy them so that all would be reminded of the power of the victors. This same conflict saw Zirta fall under the sway of Scornubel. In the modern Realms, few beyond sages know that Scornubel and Zirta were once rival cities separated by the River Chionthar.

[3] The persistent or stubborn visitor wishing to know more about the famous helmed ghost is advised to seek out the one-time adventurer turned sage Authraun of Athkatla. Rude visitors are pointed to the less reliable sage Rarkriskran, of Baldur’s Gate.

If a visitor desires to worship the Ghost Knight, they are told to travel to the Wave District in the City of Coin (Athkatla), and to petition Imbram Ergleth for permission to join the Ghost Knight’s Legion. The Friends no longer send would-be worshippers to Waterdeep. The True Ghost Knight Faithful, once based in Trades Ward, has fallen to infighting over accusations of betrayal and embezzlement. Its former leader, one Harburtran Daeyel, is believed to have fled Waterdeep for Neverwinter with the majority of his follower’s donated wealth and not a few magic items.

All are warned to beware the zealots of the Guardian Risen, who believe the god Helm has been renewed and will reward those who seek out all true manifestations of his power in the Realms. These fanatics brook no claims to the contrary regarding the true nature of the Ghost Knight of Galardroun, and they actively silence anyone who will not be cowed. The Guardians hunt the Friends of the Ghost Knight, and the Friends give no quarter whenever they encounter the Guardians.

[4] The Ghost Knights, and the wider region, have found a new and dangerous enemy…but as the saying goes, this is “a doom for another day.” Stay tuned! ;)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 08 Nov 2015 07:57:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000