Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Illegal Drug Trade in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  04:08:56  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Who controls it? Is it widespread? Where does it come from? Something so addictive and so profitable should attract evil organizations. Zhentarim, Iron Throne, Rundeen? Or is it a new thing to be exploited by up and coming gangs in order to gain money and power?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  04:40:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well before you can have an illegal drug trade, a drug needs to be illegal. As best I know there are no illegal drugs Realms wide, though of course use of poison clearly illegal if used improperly.

Before you can even have a drug trade you need a drug that is adictive and as far as I recall those do not exist either.

Then you need limited source of such drug (or herb) that can not be readily available to other regions or classes.

Oh certainly such illegal drugs might exist but then the Thieves guilds likely would seek to control such things in territory they can control. I find it unlikely any one city, group or nation could control any illegal drug trade that might exist.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  05:02:58  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Darkness and Book of Vile Darkness has a list of drugs. They function like poisons but it doesn't necessarily make them poisons.

Edited by - Doge on 01 Aug 2014 05:05:56
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  09:26:58  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't remember where it is but one of the 3e Realms novels or a supplement (I can't remember which) had a story in it about a Thayan Enclave selling drugs. Some bloke makes his 'usual order' and then asks for more of whatever the substance was. The Thayan selling it to him has some inner monologue about being pleased to see he's already addicted.

I think the best way to look at the drug trade in the Realms is that it hasn't been directly 'criminalized' and authorities deal with the 'fallout' from drug use (punishing the thefts/robberies/murders etc. that occur by those who have become addicts, lost everything, and have now resorted to committing crimes to get the money they need to buy more).

As to who controls such things I think it's a safe bet that the more nefarious government entities (Thay, Zhentil Keep) would have the most direct control over the drug trade. In more 'goodly' areas it would be unscrupulous merchants and nobles. I think most would keep such dealings clandestine even though not illegal in order to keep too much scrutiny coming their way and giving say, the Dragon Throne, a reason to stop them.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  09:31:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Cult of the Dragon uses drugs to supplement their income (although i could have made that up myself when developing Vaasa)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  11:57:15  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 4 book Venom in her Viens deals with a merchant family that deals drugs, thier not concidered crimals tho.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  14:10:07  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There ARE illegal drugs. But this is on a regional basis. Some drugs are illegal in Waterdeep. Others are illegal in Cormyr (yes I assume many are the same, but they don't all have to be). Etc.

As far as who is doing the drug trading, I think you could count on pretty much any of the criminal organizations in Cloak and Dagger. On top of that we know that The Serpent and his organization deal drugs in Waterdeep. I'd also suggest that instigating drug trade to destabilize say Zhentil Keep or Mulmaster would not be beneath the Harpers - though some would find it too dirty a job. I'd also assume that there are many, many traders/merchants who would not have too much trouble with the moral ambiguities. If I remember correctly, Volo mentions a few in his books...
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  19:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I recall one of Kemp's novels having a character that was addicted to a hallucinogenic drug. Not sure enough one, though.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  22:48:19  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually a few FR novels have had drug addicts as protagonists. The warlock from the Key if stars trilogy was addicted to a really bad supernatural drug,
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  23:10:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The clergy of Shar often appear addicted to mind-altering substances. At least the few characters of this sort from PSKs Shadow trilogy.

I recall some mention of addictive substances in Netheril lore.

Cyric embraced drugged-up followers, although I dont know if he introduced them to the drugs or if they were already on drugs. These followers, initially, were basically Zhents, Zhentarim, or worshippers of the Dead Three Gods. Certainly the Zhentarim would be involved in any drug trades which occur in Faerun.

Mask later made much use of addicted criminals, although this may have simply been opportunistic use of available resources. The details are vague, but seem to involve some Realms version of opium. Even Masks own Chosen, Erevis Cale, has a bit of a smoking habit and some history of more serious addiction.

Early Drizzt/Menzoberranzan material sometimes mentioned drow using addictive substances on slaves and prisoners - it was never specified if these were drugs, poisons, spells, or some combination.

I dont think *illegal drug trade* is a meaningful term in the Realms. It would indicate certain drugs, or trade in those drugs, are outlawed ... and that somebody would be policing drug trade activities to enforce the law. This is a curiously modern and parochial notion from our own culture, I doubt any *war on drugs* was ever fought in our own Medieval/Renaissance eras. The Realms is basically a Feudal system where the local nobles rule by force and fiat, they dont strictly require laws to allow or deny drug use in their lands.

That being said, there must certainly be a *lucrative drug trade*, and it would likely involve addictive and unwholesome substances.

And methinks alcohol is basically an addictive and damaging substance. But good luck declaring alcohol (or alcohol trade) illegal anywhere in the Realms! Even priests of Eldath probably spike their water.

I suppose a hard addict could always report to the local temple for a Cure Disease or Neutralize Poison spell ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  23:44:45  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh wow. I have to say reading these responses made me happy. It seems the drug trade is doing well in the realms. And the fact that they're not seen at wholly evil helps my cause. I'm really liking the Thayan take on this. Lots of enclaves all around Faerun to disperse the drugs and the Red Wizards have the wealth, power, and influence needed to maintain a profitable drug trade.
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  01:57:39  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The clergy of Shar often appear addicted to mind-altering substances. At least the few characters of this sort from PSKs Shadow trilogy.

I'd love to find out which specific books mention this.

I played a Sharran Cloistered Cleric (from levels 4 to 13) who was of her Darkcloak order. She was heavily involved with the manufacturing and administering bliss-inducing tranquilizers and painkillers to her faithful within many of the major urban enclaves of the Moonsea. My DM at the time was pretty much in lock-step with what the rest of you have posted regarding Faerunian sentiment with narcotics of all sorts. In some cities, she ran into issues. But for most, there weren't any sort of legal codes that were that micromanaged down to the specific drugs that she trafficked in.

Below is a brief descriptor of Shar's Darkcloak order ...

Darkcloaks:
Unusual among other orders in the Church, Darkcloaks are actually a compassionate group of oracles and care-givers who tend to those troubled souls who are emotionally damaged, often bringing the bliss of forgetfulness to soothe their pain. Their work has done much to present the church in a positive light to the populace, though too often the reaction is still negative. This order includes some of the few non-evil, non-neutral clerics in the Church.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  02:43:37  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snow

quote:

I'd love to find out which specific books mention this.

I played a Sharran Cloistered Cleric (from levels 4 to 13) who was of her Darkcloak order. She was heavily involved with the manufacturing and administering bliss-inducing tranquilizers and painkillers to her faithful within many of the major urban enclaves of the Moonsea. My DM at the time was pretty much in lock-step with what the rest of you have posted regarding Faerunian sentiment with narcotics of all sorts. In some cities, she ran into issues. But for most, there weren't any sort of legal codes that were that micromanaged down to the specific drugs that she trafficked in.

Below is a brief descriptor of Shar's Darkcloak order ...

Darkcloaks:
Unusual among other orders in the Church, Darkcloaks are actually a compassionate group of oracles and care-givers who tend to those troubled souls who are emotionally damaged, often bringing the bliss of forgetfulness to soothe their pain. Their work has done much to present the church in a positive light to the populace, though too often the reaction is still negative. This order includes some of the few non-evil, non-neutral clerics in the Church.

It's in Shadowbred,, and the drug is called Minddust.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  10:19:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doge

Oh wow. I have to say reading these responses made me happy. It seems the drug trade is doing well in the realms. And the fact that they're not seen at wholly evil helps my cause. I'm really liking the Thayan take on this. Lots of enclaves all around Faerun to disperse the drugs and the Red Wizards have the wealth, power, and influence needed to maintain a profitable drug trade.

It also fits with them having the alchemical know how for it. Not that others wouldn't, but an organization with that many wizards is going to be one of the stronger backbones in alchemy as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  23:01:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another character, Magadon, was psychically addicted to "The Source" - the sentient mythallar of Sakkors. This example basically involves an artifact which can break the rules of normal magical items, and a common feature of powerful artifacts is that they become "addictive" in some fashion.

But this suggests that some magics or magical items can be addictive. How else to explain all those megalomaniacal necromancers and liches? Or all those poor low-/mid-level characters who enjoy being dominated by the intelligent magical items they wield?

Imagine, just to introduce a controversial notion, that the deities of Faerun include a "special additive" in every spell they grant to their clergy, an additive which encourages dependance and loyalty each time such a spell is cast, an additive which produces withdrawal symptoms of doubt and uncertainty after going too long without praying for spells. Seems a little un-Realmsian at first glance, but think more carefully about the personas and agendas of the Faerunian deities.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  10:40:44  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed talks a bit about drugs etc win the old 2004 scroll.
Go to Top of Page

Hellbane
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  22:56:27  Show Profile Send Hellbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I recall some mention of addictive substances in Netheril lore.

Cyric embraced drugged-up followers, although I dont know if he introduced them to the drugs or if they were already on drugs. These followers, initially, were basically Zhents, Zhentarim, or worshippers of the Dead Three Gods. Certainly the Zhentarim would be involved in any drug trades which occur in Faerun.

Mask later made much use of addicted criminals, although this may have simply been opportunistic use of available resources. The details are vague, but seem to involve some Realms version of opium. Even Masks own Chosen, Erevis Cale, has a bit of a smoking habit and some history of more serious addiction.

Actually it was Drasek Riven who started smoking a pipe after Jak, a pipe smoker as well, died. Cale did not smoke.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  23:10:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was Riven, not Erevis? I distinctly recall otherwise, althoug my FR novels are currently out on (apparently indefinite) loan. I thought Cale took up the habit as a way to remind himself of his connection with Jak, and the smoking was something of a narrative device to demonstrate Cales struggle with grief and loss. Could be reading too much into it. Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe. Beware hiring anyone named Monica Halflingsky, though.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000