Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Moon elf names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2002 :  14:15:27  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In one of my FR realms books ("A Grand Tour of the Realms", I think it's called) says that 'grey' and 'silver'are different but appropriate names for moon elves. When I was reading Elaine Cunningham's book Elfshadow it said that grey was a derogatory term. Which is corret?

-Space for rent-

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  19:49:22  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think its considered derogatory if said by another elf, just ignorant if said by a human.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2002 :  05:26:52  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I consider myself fairly well-read on this subject (thank you Elaine Cunningham)....that said...

When any species refers to the Moon Elves as "grays" it is in fact an EXTREME derogatory term that is the equivalent of today's most heinous racial slurs....it is basically a reference to the silverish coloring in moon elf skin - i.e., compared to the fair gold elves, moon elves are grey - as in useless, unnoteworthy, and worst of all, devoid of beauty. There really isn't a worse elven insult than to suggest someone is without beauty.

This is traced back to the animosity that the gold elves (who often refer to themselves as High Elves) began to harbor for the moon elves when the Larethian-forged Moon Blades originally found their ways into more moon elf hands than gold. This was due to the fact that the more courtly (they would say "civilized") gold elves were caught up in a huge court/civil cold war that was threatening to tear Evermeet apart. This is not to say that the moon elves were not caught up politically, but this bestowing of such powerful magic upon the moon elves was seen (the golds would say "misinterpreted") as a sign of Larethian's favor....thus the birth of the hated term "gray".....

Sigh...perhaps that was a bit long-winded.....

Sigh....sue me, I am a bard.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2002 :  08:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not long-winded at all! thats really interesting ArionElenim! Thanks! Where is this information taken from? Does Evermeet: Island of Elves go into elven culture much?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2002 :  05:22:49  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have hence called Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet the Elven Bible....and to this I hold true....

The best way, the ONLY way to get to know the elves of Faerun is to READ THAT BOOK....

But, that's just me....

Yes, Evermeet does indeed give the whole of the elven history...it is a MUST read....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2002 :  09:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even better than the Elves of Evermeet sourcebook?! I have this novel on my reading list, maybe i need to notch it up a couple of places!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  09:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, this is coming probably too late to make any difference, but I want to say this anyway. First, EVERMEET: ISLAND OF ELVES IS AWESOME AND ANYONE READING FORGOTTEN REALMS BOOKS OR DOING ANYTHING FR MUSTMUSTMUST READ IT!!!!!!! *gasp, inhale*

Okay, I've got that out of my system . . . .

Next, I want to answer the question actually made in this thread. Elaine Cunningham is very specific in many places about the origin of "grey" as an insult to moon elves, and it is due the the fact that no one actually mentioned that I'm actually writing this. It's got nothing to do with moonblades or anything. (That's part of the ANIMOSITY, but not the origin of the term.)

It's simple: the word for "grey" in Elvish sounds almost exactly the same as the word for "dross" -- implying that the moon elves were just what was left over after the creation of the "pure" gold elf race.

There's your answer. Sorry if it's too late and you already got it someplace else, but I thought I'd say it anyway, in case someone else came alonge with the same question.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  17:27:08  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Gildragon,

I suppose it depends on who calls it appropriate. After all, I am certain that if you ask a Thayan, and then an Aglarondian, what they think of, and in fact call, their respective counterpart, you may have a different outlook on what is "appropriate", haha.

That being said, Senior Scribe Elenim couldn't be more correct, in my view, when taken with that being the application of a field of study, where the theory is the text, (all considered as is done in industry and application, respectively) in this case, "Elves of Evermeet." In fact, I quote from that book right now:

quote:
I also learned during my stay on Evermeet that the term Gray elf, often applied to the Teu-Tel#146;Quessir,
is considered somewhat pejorative and should be avoided. p19,

I hope that helps...sixteen years later, haha.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon

In one of my FR realms books ("A Grand Tour of the Realms", I think it's called) says that 'grey' and 'silver'are different but appropriate names for moon elves. When I was reading Elaine Cunningham's book Elfshadow it said that grey was a derogatory term. Which is corret?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  04:35:31  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Not long-winded at all! thats really interesting ArionElenim! Thanks! Where is this information taken from? Does Evermeet: Island of Elves go into elven culture much?

Yes. And «was a primary source for» the novel, in case that's not obvious.
quote:

Even better than the Elves of Evermeet sourcebook?! I have this novel on my reading list, maybe i need to notch it up a couple of places!

It's certainly very good. I'm afraid Senior Scribe Elenim here indulged in trusting in lore a little, however.
So «keep in mind that the book is told from a human's point of view, with all the limitations that suggests».
Which is good, in that as a rule you get more from the text when taking it in context.
Won't it be fun to notice which important parts relevant to the stories we know from other lore, but the elves omit them, or even repeatedly avoid to refer in any way?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 26 Sep 2018 04:39:59
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  12:10:29  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master TBeholder,

Impressive citations, especially the ones from (13) years ago! Pulling them out like pocket change! haha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Yes. And «was a primary source for» the novel, in case that's not obvious.
quote:

It's certainly very good. I'm afraid Senior Scribe Elenim here indulged in trusting in lore a little, however.
So «keep in mind that the book is told from a human's point of view, with all the limitations that suggests».
Which is good, in that as a rule you get more from the text when taking it in context.
Won't it be fun to notice which important parts relevant to the stories we know from other lore, but the elves omit them, or even repeatedly avoid to refer in any way?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000