Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Waterdeep Building Codes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

savedbygrace
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  02:57:28  Show Profile Send savedbygrace a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Heya folks,
I've been a fan of Waterdeep since 91 when I purchased the City of Splendors Boxed set, as well as a serious investment of other D&D material. After about 8 years of play, I sold my entire collection to focus on raising my kids. I was recently enticed by my brother to return to the Realms and begin leading adventures again, including introducing my kids to the world of RPGing.

I've been studying up as much as I can through online sources and wikis but I can't find anything on Waterdeep building codes. I could have sworn I read something along those lines in that first boxed set. Would anyone be willing to elaborate on details or quote the actual box set guide regarding structure codes? Perhaps what each ward allows or restrictions with material, height, and things of that nature?

It's not needed for adventuring but rather for potential Blender and Gimp work. Thanks fellow Waterdhavians!

Be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  15:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pulled this out of my City of Splendors files; hope it was what you were looking for.

Building Class
Buildings in the City can be artificially divided into four classes:
Class A Buildings: Class A buildings are always unique and distinctive landmarks of any scale. Most, however, are of a large and grandious nature, almost built as much for show as for use. Examples within Waterdeep include the city's public structures (e.g. the Palace, Castle Waterdeep, the Field of Triumph, the Cynosure, et al), major temples (the Plinth, the Spires of the Morning, et al), and the nobles' villas (all walled villa complexes with interior gardens or enclosed grounds).

Class B Buildings: Class B buildings cover the larger, more successful and elaborate single buildings within the city. They have up to five stories, and may have extensive cellars (usually connected to the sewers at some point). Most inns and guild halls in Waterdeep fall into this class. Examples include grand houses and mansions (private residences without extensive grounds or walled gardens), prosperous businesses, large warehouses, and the guild halls (randomly generating guild hall interiors is not recommended, as many have specific purposes and require special attention).

Class C Buildings: The great majority of buildings in Waterdeep are Class C—the tall row houses that line the streets to heights of two stories or more (some as high as five!). Row houses usually have shops on the ground floor, with offices or apartments above that. While not always multi-story row houses, this class includes many of the better-kept taverns and rooming houses in the city.

Class D Buildings: Class D buildings are lesser buildings, usually one-story wooden buildings used as small warehouses and individual homes and storage sheds for Waterdeep's poor. Such buildings are mainly found in Dock Ward (and the docks in southern Castle Ward), with a fair number in Southern Ward and Trades Ward.

Building Generation
Once the class of a given building has been decided by the DM, the following steps can be followed if speedy random generation of building features is desired.

Step 1: Building Height.
Determine number of stories in building, by deliberate choice or by the methods that follow.

Class B: Roll 1d8 and check results below:
1 One story, no basement (cupola and/or skylights possible);
2 Two stories, no basement;
3 Three stories, no basement;
4 Four stories, no basement;
5 One story + basement;
6 Two stories + basement;
7 Three stories + basement;
8 Four stories + basement (tower + additional floors possible).

Class C: Roll 1d4 and check results below:
1 Two stories, no basement;
2 Three stories, no basement;
3 Three stories + basement;
4 Two stories + basement.

Class D: Roll 1d4 and check results below:
1 1 story, no basement;
2 1 story + basement;
3 1 story, no basement;
4 1 story + basement.
Class D buildings may have a dormer, cupola, or tower to add partial upper levels, and lean-to additions on the sides.

Step 2: Building Conditions.
Roll 1d6 or choose the condition of the building below:
1 Derelict, boarded up (possibly in use as a secret meeting place by thieves, intrigue groups, monsters, or adventurers);
2 Ramshackle, badly in need of repair;
3 Well-worn and in heavy daily use, with evidence of some recent repair work with more minor work needed;
4 Well-kept and clean, in good condition;
5 New or pristine condition, freshly decorated or carefully-maintained, perhaps with ornate trim and furnishings;
6 Currently under construction or extensive repair (includes recent damage by fire, collapse, weather, explosion, etc.).

Step 3: Building Function.
Roll 1d10 or choose the building's purpose below:
1 B: Warehouse (with elevator or interior hoist)
C: Warehouse
D: Warehouse
2 B: Warehouse (with elevator or interior hoist)
C: Row House, Offices above Ground Floor Shop
3 B: Business Offices
C: Row House, Apartments above Ground Floor Shop
4 B: Business Offices
C: Row House, Storage or Apartments above Ground Floor and Second Floor Shops
5 B: Boarding/Rooming House
C: Boarding/Rooming House
D: Private Family Residence, Lesser Merchant or Laborer
6 B: Boarding/Rooming House
C: Boarding/Rooming House
D: Boarding/Rooming House
7 B: Row House, Apartments above Ground Floor Shop
C: Row House, Offices & Apartments above Ground Floor Shop
D: Shop
8 B: Row House, Apartments above Ground Floor Offices
C: Row House, Offices & Apartments above Ground Floor Shop
D: Office(s)
9 B: Private Family Residence, Lesser Noble or Merchant
C: Row House, Ground Floor & Upper Level Apartments
D: Multiple Family Residence, Lesser Merchant or Laborer
10 B: Private Individual Residence, Lesser Noble or Merchant
C: Row House, Ground Floor & Upper Level Apartments
D: Individual Residence with Rental Storage

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

savedbygrace
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  06:22:43  Show Profile Send savedbygrace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes indeed. I do recall those now. Thank you very much for the time you took researching and then posting those, I truly appreciate it.

Be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000