Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D Site Redesign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  23:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The website has been updated! (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/welcome-new-dd-website)
Unfortunately, the 3.5 archives (which survived the 4e redesign) did not make it. =(

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  23:32:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* Yet another site redesign... And yet again, they don't bother with any kind of redirects or anything like that for old stuff, or give you any easy way to get to older material...

I've honestly lost count of how many times they've redesigned the site, since I first started bookmarking everything. I've had to re-find stuff on their site so many times that I've long since given up on trying.

But the original Roll of Years file, originally posted back in 2000? Yup, it's still in the same place -- just downloaded it again. I was checking it and the other files referenced in my old Lost Archives... thread.

That's what I don't get about their site. They take down links, move things around, and never bother to update anything.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  23:38:24  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the plus side, it's a cleaner, more streamlined looking design than they've had for ... a while.
Also, Tyranny of Dragons CGI teaser.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  01:11:04  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest using the Wayback Machine to start backing up favorite articles:

https://archive.org/web/

It's what I've used in the past. Haven't tried it with the new design yet though.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  01:15:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a different note, I hope we still see our weekly Forging the Realms articles.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  02:48:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

On a different note, I hope we still see our weekly Forging the Realms articles.

I would think so.

The Lady Hooded One noted some time back, during the last lengthy lull between FtR article releases, that Wizards still had about 20 [I think?] articles left to publish on the site.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  03:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd suggest using the Wayback Machine to start backing up favorite articles:

https://archive.org/web/

It's what I've used in the past. Haven't tried it with the new design yet though.

I've also got some of the old stuff here saved for personal use. Feel free to download a copy.

I do like the new look of the D&D website. The last one was difficult to navigate. This one, I actually feel like I can find stuff without digging into the Plane of Shadow....

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  07:28:34  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also like the new website. Mainly, since we finally have a good mobile version.

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  08:26:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont mind the new website, its a bit difficult to locate the new articles but thats probably just because im not familiar with it.

I did however find it rather amusing that one of the blurbs about an article says something along the lines of

"Few creatures inspire such awe and wonder as the dragonborn."

I always thought few creatures inspired such controversy and division as the dragonborn, but maybe thats just me.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  09:18:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could fill about 5 sourcebooks with the material Ed has sent through to TSR/WotC that never saw the light of day.

Still waiting for the city article on Teziir that was supposed to be published in Dragon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  11:30:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I dont mind the new website, its a bit difficult to locate the new articles but thats probably just because im not familiar with it.

I did however find it rather amusing that one of the blurbs about an article says something along the lines of

"Few creatures inspire such awe and wonder as the dragonborn."

I always thought few creatures inspired such controversy and division as the dragonborn, but maybe thats just me.

Maybe they meant that since the 4E dragonborn are basically lizard men, that they are quite underwhelming, and therefore few creatures inspire the same level of disinterest...

About the redesign... I've had, for a long time, a bunch of links to specific things on the Wizards site, all preformatted and ready to share. And the new site redesign has broken all of those links.

I'm not even going to bother to try to update them, since WotC will just break them yet again.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  11:45:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always save every WoTC article as a single file html archive. WoTC do a Gilgeam every time there is a new edition, so i try and keep a record of things as they were.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  17:10:44  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You could fill about 5 sourcebooks with the material Ed has sent through to TSR/WotC that never saw the light of day.

Still waiting for the city article on Teziir that was supposed to be published in Dragon.

-- George Krashos

I'd love to see Wizards bring that series back. I remember being so excited about all the places we'd get detailed. Imagine all the new shiny cities and places we could see from the pen of Ed. Sigh.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  17:16:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I always save every WoTC article as a single file html archive. WoTC do a Gilgeam every time there is a new edition, so i try and keep a record of things as they were.

Oh, I save anything interesting to Word.

The links I had were specifically preformatted for sharing here -- links to particular resources, like a link to the Wyrms of the North index, or links to particular articles. When relevant, I could copy/paste the link here, and it would be ready to share.

WotC has broken those links many times, and I'm tired of tracking things down every time. They should either have their web designers put redirects in place, have them stop breaking links in the first place, or employ web designers who can do those things.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  17:25:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

I'd love to see Wizards bring that series back. I remember being so excited about all the places we'd get detailed. Imagine all the new shiny cities and places we could see from the pen of Ed. Sigh.

There are a lot of older series of web content that they've done that I really wish they'd bring back... Or at least complete, like the Border Kingdoms articles.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  17:32:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just glancing at the Wizards site, and it prompted me to do a site survey. I blasted them for having an unsearchable site and in particular for constantly moving stuff around without updating any links or providing a way to find it. For the question of what I liked best about the site, I said it was the site's past, when it had setting information and when stuff could be found.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  19:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I was just glancing at the Wizards site, and it prompted me to do a site survey. I blasted them for having an unsearchable site and in particular for constantly moving stuff around without updating any links or providing a way to find it. For the question of what I liked best about the site, I said it was the site's past, when it had setting information and when stuff could be found.

I get those about once a month, and do the same thing. Sad thing is, I'm starting to know my way around that abomination.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  20:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I would think so.

The Lady Hooded One noted some time back, during the last lengthy lull between FtR article releases, that Wizards still had about 20 [I think?] articles left to publish on the site.

I enjoyed those so much that I saved every one with Pocket on my Nexus 7. I like to read over them while I'm feeding my daughter, or while she naps in her swing or bouncy seat.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2015 :  07:16:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heres the Border kingdoms articles http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/frbk
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2015 :  14:55:48  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact, you can just copy any IIS (.asp/.aspx) URL, paste it and replace "//www.wizards.com" or "//wizards.com" with "//archive.wizards.com" - or even apply the fix automatically so that all links auto-redirect (if you use Firefox).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000