Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Hoard of the DQ: a new map of the Sword Coast
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  10:15:57  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
(Apologies for the abbreviation - it should be Hoard of Dragon Queen - in the heading but the Noah's Ark-era forum software only allows so many characters....)

Jared Blando has created a new map of the Sword Coast for D&D Encounters: Hoard of the Dragon Queen. His style is different to Mike Schley's but also really good.

Take a look here.

(I'll leave it to a mod to create a proper link. Noah's Ark-era softward indeed....)

Mod edit: Cast shrinky links

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jul 2014 18:03:11

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  16:02:57  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent find. Thanks for sharing.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  20:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome map. I like the look. Thanks for sharing!

I did notice the town of Parnast labeled on the map. A quick Google search brought up Cloak and Dagger as the only source of lore on the place. Can anyone add to that?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 29 Jul 2014 21:04:39
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  00:50:10  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Map... odd that everything (cities, towns, castles, ruins) has the same indicator though.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  02:45:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, this is itching for use in one of my home campaigns.

Very nice!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  03:16:04  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jared is uber talented... great to see!

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  04:19:01  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty good. I like it.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  08:58:32  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As fans of Jared's work know, he has done a fair bit of work for Paizo. I mention this because, aside from font choice, reading Hoard of the Dragon Queen actually felt like reading a Paizo product in terms of its layout particularly in the context of the half-page opening illustrations and the text density.

It is unfortunate that WotC applied their usual editing standards to the place names: there are a few too many spelling errors for my liking and my Photoshop skills aren't good enough to correct them. Oh well. I still have my Mike Schley maps of the areas that I am using for my games.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  14:19:57  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad to see Evereska missing from there. It played a rather significant role in one of my past campaigns.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  15:56:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a copy of the map from GENCON. It's beautiful, but the typos are indeed off-putting.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Akantor
Acolyte

France
24 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  22:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Akantor's Homepage Send Akantor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautifull map, but isn't Silvermoon too much east?

English is not my primary language so forgive me for any mistake, I do my best (and spend skill point at my next level)
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  02:21:32  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I bought a copy of the map from GENCON. It's beautiful, but the typos are indeed off-putting.

-- George Krashos

I was wondering if you'd mind telling me how much the map was at GenCon. I'd kind of like to know how much things like that are, since I hope to go to GenCon next year for the first time ever.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  02:38:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was $30 IIIRC but roughly the size of two A4 sheets end to end and a touch wider.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  03:09:16  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was $30 IIIRC but roughly the size of two A4 sheets end to end and a touch wider.

-- George Krashos

Thank you for letting me know!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  14:46:50  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I let him know about the errors on Twitter but, for some reason, he chose to only fix one of the errors.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  03:07:39  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

Sad to see Evereska missing from there. It played a rather significant role in one of my past campaigns.

Evereska isn't missing... it's just gone back to being the hidden elven city that no one knows exactly where it is... or atleast that's how it is in my campaign etting. ;)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  05:56:57  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does this grognard's heart good to see the Westwood reinstated.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  07:26:01  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, the post has now been updated to include a hex map version of the map courtesy of another blog. Enjoy! :)

(Agreed, SirUrza. Agreed, Xaeyruudh.)

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000