Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Merging the Monk and Cleric Classes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  02:40:23  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has this been done? Both are similar in motivations with different expression of that motivation. But many monks do "spread the gospel" , heal, and have divine auras, so why not?

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  03:54:28  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has been done in 2nd edition. The Fighting-Monk was a priest kit which could specialize in punching, wrestling, or martial arts. They shunned armor, and had NWP crossover with all five groups of skills. Always wanted to play one, but have not gotten the chance yet.

"Seek to bring order to the chaos of life, for in death there is finality and a fixedness of state. Be ready for death for it is at hand and uncompromising."

Excerpt from Jergal's Dogma, Faiths and Pantheons, page 99
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  09:59:18  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a 3e perspective this woudl be a disaster...that combo would be way over powered (monks are badass...though I don't care for the class at all). Now if you just took the cleric and added some monk 'flavor' you might be onto something...but 'merging' them wouldn't work.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  10:16:55  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clerics are already the strongest class in the game, they don't need monk abilities.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  10:27:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find 3e clerics very bland compared to their 2e counterparts (specifically specialty priests). They had far more flavor back then. Not sure that I agree with their being the most powerful class though they might be. Decent HP, decent BAB, cast spells in armor...pretty good combo. But many of their spells are lacking IMO. Wizards, with the right builds, outstrip clerics easily methinks.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  16:34:20  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also the 3.5 prestige class, the Sacred Fist (from Complete Divine). It gives a cleric some monk abilities, or a way for a monk/cleric to better both classes. I agree with Arcanamach, 2nd ed. priest were much more flavorful and interesting.

"Seek to bring order to the chaos of life, for in death there is finality and a fixedness of state. Be ready for death for it is at hand and uncompromising."

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  18:04:14  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Clerics are already the strongest class in the game, they don't need monk abilities.

I'm no rules expert, but I would take a high level wizard or paladin over a cleric. Maybe sorcerors, but not sure.
Go to Top of Page

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  20:38:05  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3.5, a Favored Soul of Ilmater, combined with the Superior Unarmed Strike feat and a monk's robe, would supply monkly-goodness without sacrificing caster level. Not a blaster by any means, but a decent buffer/hand-to-hand type, IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  21:03:21  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being approximately 7 years removed from the end of 3.5 play, the various game mechanics and char-op community forums have pretty much stabilized the highly regarded "Tier System for 3.5 Classes". You can see it posted over GitP, EnWorld, MinMax, Brilliant Gameologist and even at the continuing-to-wane WotC forums.

Clerics are quintessential Tier 1. Monks are quintessential Tier 5. Wielding full access to the entirety of the WotC 3.X sourcebook array in addition to busting out your best CharOp-Fu, you can raise Monk to high Tier 4. But that's about it.

To quote JaronK, one of the respected authors of Tier System rankings: Tier 1: Capable of doing absolutely everything, often better than classes that specialize in that thing. Often capable of solving encounters with a single mechanical ability and little thought from the player. Has world changing powers at high levels. These guys, if played well, can break a campaign and can be very hard to challenge without extreme DM fiat, especially if Tier 3s and below are in the party.

Meaning, you can actually build a Cleric (via spells, feats & ACFs) to completely emulate or overpower nearly the full breadth of the Monk's class abilities while still allowing him dual-utility to function as a normal high-powered party cleric. The opposite (Monk-to-Cleric) ... is not possible without that Monk sacrificing nearly all his class levels for primary spellcaster or psionic-caster levels.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000