Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pathfinder Necromancy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  21:48:32  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's an unfortunate truth that high tier necromancy in Pathfinder was hit by the nerf bat. The necromantic staples of finger of death and wail of the banshee have the [death] descriptor for no real reason, and instead of actually killing the target they're basically ranged harm and mass harm which target one of the strongest saving throws of most monsters, and get laughed at by the death ward spell.

Isn't it sad, necromancers? All that work with debuffing and negative energy, and all your high-tier spells are blast spells.

With the release of the Mythic rules, here's my attempt at returning the 'death' to death magic.

FINGER OF DEATH
school
necromancy [death]; Level druid 8, sorcerer/wizard 7
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V,S
Range Close (25 ft + 5 ft/level)
Target 1 creature
Duration Instantaneous
Saving Throw Fort partial; Spell Resistance Yes

This spell instantly delivers 10 points of damage per caster level. If the target's Fortitude saving throw succeeds, it instead takes 3d6 points of damage + 1 point per caster level. The subject might die from damage even if it succeeds on its saving throw.

Mythic: By expending one point of mythic power, the damage dealt increases to 15 points of damage per caster level plus 1d8 points of Constitution damage. A creature that succeeds at its Saving Throw takes 3d8 points of damage + 1 point per caster level, takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage, and is staggered for 1 round.

Augmented (8th): By expending two points of mythic power, any living creature struck by this spell dies if it fails its saving throw. A creature that succeeds at its Saving Throw takes 3d8 points of damage + 1 point per caster level, takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage, and is staggered for 1 round.

WAIL OF THE BANSHEE
school
necromancy [death, sonic]; Level sorcerer/wizard 9, witch 9; Domain death 9, repose 9
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V
Range Close (25 ft + 5 ft/level)
Target one living creature/level within a 40-ft.-radius spread
Duration Instantaneous
Saving Throw Fort negates; Spell Resistance Yes

When you cast this spell, you emit a terrible, soul-chilling scream that possibly kills creatures that hear it (except for yourself). The spell affects up to one creature per caster level, inflicting 10 points of damage per caster level. Creatures closest to the point of origin are affected first.

Mythic: By expending one point of mythic power, the damage dealt increases to 15 points of damage per caster level and causes the targets to be frightened for one round. A creature that succeeds at its Saving Throw takes no damage, but is shaken for one round instead.

Augmented (10th): By expending two points of mythic power, any living creature struck by this spell dies if it fails its saving throw. A creature that succeeds at its Saving Throw is frightened for one round.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  23:48:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you want to bet it had to do with red wizard necromancers using circle magic to heighten wail of the banshee to 20th lvl to get the save DC so high that they can one shot groups

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  07:50:58  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually hate all the spell nerfing that's been rampant since the early game days. It's not that I don't understand the reasons behind it...it's just that every single time a new iteration of the game comes out they nerf the magic. The new rpol game my wife and I are working on will be set in the 1e days...without such pesky concerns as level-caps and 'game balance' lol.

And yes I'm serious, no worrying about balance...we have ways of dealing with pesky annoying powerlifting gamers buahahaha.

As to the OP. Looks great to me...though I really think wizard seriously got shafted in PF and in their Mythic Rules...but I'm a diehard wizard fan so I may be biased.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  11:23:13  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I actually hate all the spell nerfing that's been rampant since the early game days. It's not that I don't understand the reasons behind it...it's just that every single time a new iteration of the game comes out they nerf the magic. The new rpol game my wife and I are working on will be set in the 1e days...without such pesky concerns as level-caps and 'game balance' lol.

And yes I'm serious, no worrying about balance...we have ways of dealing with pesky annoying powerlifting gamers buahahaha.

As to the OP. Looks great to me...though I really think wizard seriously got shafted in PF and in their Mythic Rules...but I'm a diehard wizard fan so I may be biased.

To be fair, 3.5e magic is insanely powerful, and prepared casters become the most powerful beings in the game by the time they hit double-digits. There's a metamagic feat published by WotC that increases the spell's effective level by 4, and in turn gives you a +10 bonus to the DC. That was the nerfed version, the original gave the spell no saving throw.

Now imagine greater rods of that metamagic in conjunction with finger of death and wail of the banshee.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  11:36:36  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a general rule, spells in 3x are weaker than their 2e counterparts...if for no other reason than the fact that the round was reduced from a minute to 6 seconds (thereby severely shortening the lifespan of many spells).

Yes, metamagic can boost their power...at the cost of a higher level spell slot so that's generally not a big deal. Sure metamagic rods allow you greater power by alleviating the need to memorize a spell in that higher slot, but they are limited use items and can easily be barred by DMs.

I'm not familiar with that feat. Where can I find it? (it must be in an online Dragon magazine or something). And yeah if the feat does what you say it does then it's stupid insane...even I wouldn't allow that.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  12:00:19  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As a general rule, spells in 3x are weaker than their 2e counterparts...if for no other reason than the fact that the round was reduced from a minute to 6 seconds (thereby severely shortening the lifespan of many spells).

Yes, metamagic can boost their power...at the cost of a higher level spell slot so that's generally not a big deal. Sure metamagic rods allow you greater power by alleviating the need to memorize a spell in that higher slot, but they are limited use items and can easily be barred by DMs.

I'm not familiar with that feat. Where can I find it? (it must be in an online Dragon magazine or something). And yeah if the feat does what you say it does then it's stupid insane...even I wouldn't allow that.

That particular nerf is difficult to quantify, though. Edition changes generally are; in 3.5e playing blaster wizards is suboptimal compared to 1e/2e, but debuffers, utility wizards and battlefield controllers shine.

The feat is from Kingdoms of Kalamar, licensed by WotC.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  15:00:08  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this what you were talking about:

Irresistible Spell [Metamagic]
Nobody can resist your spells.
Prerequisite: Spellcaster level 7+, Envelope the Wall, Maximize Spell.
Benefit: Spells you cast that normally allow a saving throw do not allow a saving throw. An irresistible spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  15:36:28  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep.

The feat was errate'ed to give +10 DC.
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  23:00:40  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
slightly off topic but I wish mythic stuff for spells (I only seen spell so far) were actually part of the main game it would be cool to burn several spell levels to make a spell give more hunff!

Purple you say?!

Edited by - Portella on 23 Jul 2014 23:00:54
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2014 :  00:54:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is this what you were talking about:

Irresistible Spell [Metamagic]
Nobody can resist your spells.
Prerequisite: Spellcaster level 7+, Envelope the Wall, Maximize Spell.
Benefit: Spells you cast that normally allow a saving throw do not allow a saving throw. An irresistible spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

LOL, what book was that put in?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2014 :  07:46:01  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iron Kingdoms I think. People kept talking about Irresistible Phantasmal Killer. You just cant escape the nightmare, you know.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2014 :  14:01:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not in the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000