Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D Levelling Up
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  18:11:05  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm playing the First Edition D&D. I know a few of the rules were as using are different. My character has just reached Level 3. The DM told me I should look up how my abilities change but I can't find the information.

Can anyone tell me what the Cleric Turning is for a level 3 cleric. Also what can I do in terms of spells? When I was level 1 I had a Wisdom of 16 and could learn 3 spells a day. At level 2 I was allowed 4 spells. I'm assuming at level 3 I can use four level 1 spells and one level 2 spells.
Also do any of my other stats, strength, wisdom etc. change? Are does my Saving Throws, To Hit rolls or BB/LG change?

Dogs were invented before the wheel. We know our priorities.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  18:21:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you not have access to a 1st Edition Player's Handbook? It would answer all of your questions... And the book was reprinted within the last year or so, too, so it's not all that difficult to find a copy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  19:11:12  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a look is Osric but I couldn't seem to work it out.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  21:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can now cast a 2nd-level spell, and bonus spells from your Wisdom increase it to three. Your turn undead chances do improve, your attack chances and saving throws don't yet -- but this information is in the Dungeon Masters Guide and is properly the realm of the DM. Ability scores generally don't increase in pre-3E D&D except by magic.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  21:50:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Title now Priest

Spell level 4 1st level 3 2nd level

Turning undead does not appear to be in the PHB and only barely referred to. The DM should know turning ability. Just know turning odds are slightly better.

Edit: Missed Wis 16 bonus

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 21 Jul 2014 22:31:22
Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  00:19:09  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. My DM wouldn't tell me. He told me to look it up which I tried. So I get four first level spells and three second. Is that correct? I'll do some more research for turning undead.
I get the choice usually of rolling a d8 or taking 5 hit points. I was the first to reach level 2 and choose 5 hit points. The rest if the party levelled up at the same time and all rolled a d8. I don't think anyone got five or more. I think the Ranger was disappointed with rolling 2. I wonder what he'll choose next time.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  01:04:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the best place I can tell you to look would be 2nd Edition PHB as the turning table is in there (That edition) , however not in the 1st Edition Player Handbook. It should be noted that 1st and 2nd are not the same as to rules, however I believe turning is the same with double checking.

As your DM appears to require you to have 1st Edition DMG information it clearly appears he expects you to cheat as to what 1st Edition set forth as what a player should know or has altered expectations to including other books that players are permitted to read.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  04:56:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DM could have been mistaken as to what book it was in, or how readily available the information is.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  07:27:53  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P. 75 of 1e DMG: Matrix for Clerics Affecting Undead (for 3rd level cleric)

Skeleton 4
Zombie 7
Ghoul 10
Shadow 13
Wight 16
Ghast 19
Wraith 20

All other forms of undead are out of your league at the moment.
Btw, it is identical to 2e Turning Undead table.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 22 Jul 2014 07:30:44
Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  10:45:53  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DM suggests we use Osric.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  13:29:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KeredDrahcir

The DM suggests we use Osric.

Which appears to be located at http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124:osric&catid=36:pen-and-paper&Itemid=103

Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2014 :  22:44:33  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We seem to be using AD&D rules. Osric is just a guide. Can anyone tell me how many experience points I need in first edition AD&D to get to level 4?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2014 :  23:04:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can you play 1st Edition if you do not even own a PHB?

Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2014 :  23:19:02  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never played before. I was told to roll 4d6 six times and each time eliminate the lowest die. That was all.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  01:24:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned, the 1st edition PHB was recently reprinted, or you can save some money and track down an older copy. It'll really help you a lot, and may even give you some ideas, if you have a copy of the book.

I'm playing a gun mage in a Pathfinder/Iron Kingdoms game right now. I have my character sheet, a print-out of the class description, a Word doc I created for the spells my character knows, and a print-out of his feats. The spell print-out has one page that is one-line summaries of the spells, with damage, duration, and range, and the full spell descriptions on later pages. It's a lot of paper, but it keeps me from having to refer to the books -- but if I do, the relevant ones are in pdf format, on my tablet.

In short, I have all of the info I need at my fingertips. That makes everything a lot easier for me, especially since this is my first time in pen-and-paper gaming since the 90's. It's a lot easier, when you have all the material handy.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  03:03:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once laboriously typed (on a typewriter) a half A4 page spellbook for a mage character in a campaign that I was planning.

I intended that every PC would have a bunch of goodies in a PC folder that would be provided to them. Seeing stuff like potion counters on Kickstarter makes me think how much easier that would be to do these days.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  04:05:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I once laboriously typed (on a typewriter) a half A4 page spellbook for a mage character in a campaign that I was planning.

I intended that every PC would have a bunch of goodies in a PC folder that would be provided to them. Seeing stuff like potion counters on Kickstarter makes me think how much easier that would be to do these days.

-- George Krashos

Having pdfs handy has made it so much easier... Copy/paste, tweak the formatting, done.

Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  17:08:39  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I edit a PDF each time I level up. Can anyone tell me how many experience points a Cleric needs to get from level 3 to level 4. Is it 6,001 or am I intercepting it wrong?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  18:40:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st Edition it is 6,001, in 2nd Edition you only need 6,000.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  18:37:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should like to remind folks that it is a violation of the Candlekeep Code of Conduct to discuss or link to illegal downloads of copyrighted material.

I have removed a post because of a violation of this rule.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Aug 2014 18:37:53
Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  16:26:28  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. 6,001. I can update my character sheet in time for the next session.

Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  22:27:10  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eating some enchanted food has reduced my wisdom to
15. How will that affect the number of spells I can learn?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  23:09:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Cleric knows all spells available based on level, the reduction of Wisdom only effects numbers of spells that can be readied for casting (This though might be what you mean your character can learn). The lost of Wisdom results in lost of Bonus spell only, at level 3 with Wisdom only 15 Two bonus 1st Level Spells, IOne 2nd level Bonus spell.

If Wisdom dropped by 1 point, lost of one second level spell slot occurs.

Thus Level 3 Cleric with Wisdom of 15 can cast (have learned) 4 1st level spells and 2 2nd level spells.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  23:19:07  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

A Cleric knows all spells available based on level

I'd amend this to say that a cleric knows all spells commonly available from his/her god available based on level.

There are spells granted by the gods that are NOT common knowledge among their priesthood - several examples of this can be found in the Prayers From The Faithful book.

Additionally, I think that gods can grant spells to their priests that they almost never grant - such as those granted by other gods or even spells that would normally not jive 100% with their ethos in EXTREME circumstances without being asked. I would not argue that good gods would choose to have their followers cast "evil" spells though.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  23:20:55  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also - what is your character's god KD? Could be more specific if we knew who you are praying to :P
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  23:29:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

A Cleric knows all spells available based on level

I'd amend this to say that a cleric knows all spells commonly available from his/her god available based on level.

There are spells granted by the gods that are NOT common knowledge among their priesthood - several examples of this can be found in the Prayers From The Faithful book.

*Nods* Yes even 1st Edition had splat books. Though then it should also be a question of if Prayers From The Faithful is permitted by the DM? Which appears not to be providing much support to at least one member of the playing group.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  23:43:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah you really need to get your hands on copies of the 1e rulebooks so you can figure out what you're doing. Your DM doesn't seem to be terribly supportive in the information department.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  00:12:10  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:) Indeed - he also seems to have it in for our cleric... how many foods out there decrease wisdom? And this brand new player just happens to find and eat something harmful to his prime requisite? Sounds to me like he is toying with the PCs rather than DMing them :)
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  02:13:19  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some DMs are just sadistic that way. Thankfully I've only come across two of those and only one was particularly bad. I'm sure he learned his lesson after folks stopped playing with him.

Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  17:50:40  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DM didn't really have it in for us with the meal. Those who failed the saving throw against spell in the starter which was onion soup had one or two hit points added to their total and those who drunk the wine had their hit points restored.
I think the salad was safe.
The bread in the main course it what reduced my wisdom by one but increased my constitution by two. It was a due roll that changed that. All the others were similarly affected.
I can't remember what happened with the roast beef but the wine made you drunk as a skunk.
The apple strudel for dessert made me permantly immune to starvation while the others now have to eat twice as much.
I didn't drink the brandy but the one who did has to do a saving throw against death.

Go to Top of Page

KeredDrahcir
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  01:00:05  Show Profile  Visit KeredDrahcir's Homepage Send KeredDrahcir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DM hasn't got it in for me. Although the loss of a wisdom point means I can learn five spells a day instead of seven, the extra two points of constitution mean I now get an extra two hit points per level on top of what I roll which meant I got six more right away taking from 18 to 24.
Also the magic chain mail I'm wearing which I thought was just plus one, a good as my bandit mail but lighter, is actually plus two. It's a light as our theif's leathers but has the same protection as our paladin's plate armour. That gives me an AC of 2 with my shield.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000