Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maztica Alive! Workshop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2019 :  05:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is some really cool stuff Sleyvas - I'm digesting all of it. The book is coming along pretty nicely - I'll be posting an update soon. I've altered the original backstory of the Metahel from the first draft to match most of what you've described.

Now, if only I could get some art of that Chimera...

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2019 :  21:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the WIP as of today. Know that the map on page 12 is just a placeholder that is helping me get a visual of the region and there will eventually be a table of contents between the cover and the introduction.

ANC1 The Anchorome Campaign Guide

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2019 :  21:27:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

This is some really cool stuff Sleyvas - I'm digesting all of it. The book is coming along pretty nicely - I'll be posting an update soon. I've altered the original backstory of the Metahel from the first draft to match most of what you've described.

Now, if only I could get some art of that Chimera...

You and me both. The one thing I suck at is artwork, and yet I find myself in more need of it than anything. For instance, I would absolutely LOVE some pictures of some of these Metahel gods that I've developed. They're in my head only. For instance, regular old Sif from the norse pantheon is interesting... but my Sifya, clad in red and white studded leather, riding a giant red stag, Duneyrr, with 3 glowing runes between its antlers, and wielding a sword carved from a moose antler, and wielding a shield made of interlaced deer antlers, with a ram headed helmet, and her locks of hair rising up around her wielding daggers made of bone.... now that's a picture I'd love to have on my wall. Now, if she's really the red knight.... well, there will always be heresies, no?

By the way, I've made significant changes to a lot of that in the past 6-8 months. I've tried to develop more of "how are they related", so that they feel more like a pantheon and less like individuals (whilst also trying to develop more of the hints of links to Faerunian gods). My latest addition is Alaeralie… which SOUNDS a lot verbally like A-Leira-Lie (for those who don't realize, the old grey box had Leira pronounce as LAIR-ah, not Lie-ra).

Again, I'm not looking for any money, etc.. for any of the below, but if you're interested in using it, I'd be willing to clean it up for even just a mention in your stuff, or if you just want to mine it for ideas, I'd not be hurt. I'm just interested in making the realms a more interesting place, and if collaboration helps, then great. I may even be interested in doing something to develop Myrmidune and Aurune as well (if those be the names we'll all accept). Its seems my interests the last few years have been less on getting down to the exacting details of what's where and more trying to get a general idea going of at least what's in all these far flung areas that never got the slightest development. In doing so, maybe we can get a cohesive idea down first and then develop the rest of the world at a macro scale and then get down to the tedium.

Metahel Pantheon
The Metahel Pantheon, to the people of earth, would appear to be somewhat of a mirror of the Norse Pantheon, but missing Odin and several other deities. The details are slightly changed, as are the names. This pantheon is made up of a “tribe” of gods known as the Asagrim and has several exchanged “hostages” from another tribe known as the Faernir. Since these deities are not detailed in some other product for reference, I present below some sample ideas for the deities in this pantheon. This pantheon has especially garnered the attention of the Mulan people who have worked with the Metahel, as many Mulans believe these are in fact Faerunian deities under another name. The truth behind this mystery is left to the DM's control.

Sifya, the War Mother, goddess of birth and breeding of livestock, moose, caribou, and horses, goddess of excellence and skill in battle, games of wiles, Defender of hearth and home, goddess of Shieldmaidens. Widow of Faeyordon, Wife of Thoros, Mother of Moedae, Thoordra, and Yuellar, Stepmother of Magnaer, Faerthandir, and Eldunna, Widow of Faeyordon - this goddess' mood varies and is represented as a change in her hair color (when she is ready for battle, her hair is usually red, when she is in her motherly aspect, it is golden. She is also depicted with black or brown hair when being portrayed as blessing the birth of young livestock). She is the mother of Yuellar by a sea god named Faeyordon in an arranged marriage to broker peace with the rival Faernir tribe, as Faeyordon's own wife had died in the war between the two tribes. As a result, she is also stepmother to Faerthandir and Eldunna, who lived with her until their father's death, which is shrouded in mystery. She birthed Moedae, one of the two Thunder Twins, and Thoordra with her new husband, Thoros, whom she was allowed to choose out of love (though some hint that her stepdaughter Eldunna worked as matchmaker for the pair). Sifya rides upon a giant, flying, red coated caribou with an enormous rack of antlers, between which float glowing golden runes involving flight, speed, and defense. This mount, Duneyrr, was a part of her dowry from Faeyordon. Faeyordon is attributed with creating the white-winged hart, star-hoofed caribou, and dire moose by the Metahel people when Sifya asked him to create an animal of beauty to impress her, all creations being earlier versions than Duneyrr. Long ago, Sifya and her sons Yuellar and Moedae hunted the great moose Mordecai, which had become corrupted by a powerful demon of hate. Sifya now fights with a sword, Skofning, made from a great moose antler which has been given a carven edge and reinforced with runes by a now dead god, Asagrimmr. She wears red and white moose hide leather, studded with adamantine studs, and trimmed in gray-brown moose fur. She carries a giant kite shield, Faergisir, made of interlocked deer horns which on command can surround her with a veritable wall of spinning, razor sharp antlers. She wears a pair of fur-trimmed, red moose-hide boots which make her unable to be forcibly dismounted. She wears a helmet adorned with a pair of twisting ram horns, but her long flowing hair hangs from beneath it extending to her waist. Her white leather belt hold numerous small rune-covered daggers made of carved horn which it is said can be drawn by the strands of her hair to help her carve into the flesh of her enemies.

Thoros, Lord of Thunder and Lightning, Bringer of Rain, Stepfather of Yuellar, Father of the Thunder Twins and Thoordra - Much like his wife, Thoros' moods are reflected in his beard and hair color, changing from either blonde when he is acting nobly, to red when he is raging. He is seen to have lost his right eye, and he wears an eyepatch of blue dragon hide made from the wingskin torn from a great blue dragon named Raethghul whom he once fought. It is said however that beneath this patch lies the eye of his father, recovered from an ancient place of power after his father's disappearance, and those who claim to have seen it claim to have looked upon a whirling aura of stars, light, and darkness. He also lost his left arm in a fight with one of the great giant jarls of old, whose name seems to change with the telling. Thoros had this limb replaced with a magical arm of cold-forged black iron, which gives him great control of electricity and magnetism. He fights in his right hand with his famed everbleeding battle axe, Jarlsbluud, made of the bones of the first giant lord he ever killed and inlaid with carved deep green pieces of bloodstone flecked with red which are said to be organs of this giant lord. In his left hand Thoros uses his spear, Fangir, which is a piece of the world ash repeatedly lightning struck during a hurricane which threatened the tree when Thoros hung himself bleeding from it with spikes through his flesh for 16 days to uncover the power of runes. Its tip hardened by the resulting fires and engorged with the fury of the storm, Fangir is imbued with the powers of fire, wind, rain, thunder, and lightning. However, his favorite weapon is Mahljniir, a great double headed warhammer forged of the metal of a dead sun and smelted over the funeral pyre of his father, Asagrimmr, and whose second head is actually the fang of Kezris, left behind in his father's body when the great wolf killed him. The warhammer, Mahljniir, is capable of fighting on its own, and is said to possess the wit and wisdom of Asagrimmr. It also refuses to work for anyone which it does not deem worthy of its aid, though how it determines such worthiness seems to be conflicting depending on its mood. It is rumored that long ago, in return for his aid on a quest, Faerthandir blessed Thoros with such virility that when he impregnated his wife Sifya, it also awakened the seed in his former lover Yaernsacsa. Both Sifya and Yaernsacsa gave birth at the same time, and their children (Moedae and Magnaear) were twins. He is noted as having a chariot pulled by a pair of winged rams whose hooves spark and thunder as they pull him across the sky. Thoros is known to have many enemies, primarily amongst giantkind, but he is particularly known as well for having enmity with the demon lords Kostchtchie, Baphomet, and Orcus, as well as as another savage one eye god known to the Metahel people as Grumash.

Eldunna, Keeper of the Golden Mangos, Guardian of the Goldenheart Spring, Goddess of Young Love - This golden haired goddess is a goddess of rivers, springs, and harvesting fruits and grains. She grows the golden mangos that give the gods their perpetual youth. She is also known as a powerful brewer, making teas that produce calmness, mead which inspires happiness, droughts to cure ailments, and she can cry golden tears that inspire love. She brews these things in a giant cauldron which she is said to have received from her father. She is also known as a matchmaker who often helps young lovers find one another. She is served by the spirits of those women who died in service to love, known as the Sjofnnar, who are said to fly upon pegasi searching the world for men whose hearts need to be lightened by love before they turn to darker passions. Firing their ethereal arrows from the safety of invisibility, dipped in Eldunna's tears, they seek to turn these men towards individuals who will create a strong union. She is said to be the daughter of a sea god named Faeyordon, and she is said to be a hostage from another “rival tribe of gods” known as the Faernir. Her brother is Faerthandir.

Faerthandir, Lord of Spring Plantings, Lord of Beauty and Flowers, Keeper of the Sun Blade and Charioteer of the Sun - This golden haired god is noted as being exceptionally handsome. He blesses men with virility, blesses the seeding of fields, and is often portrayed with marigolds in his hair. He has a job to pulling the sun across the sky each day with his flaming chariot pulled by a golden bristled boar, and as a result, many use the boar as a symbol of this god. It is said that he fights with the rune-scribed antlers torn from the head of a demon lord long ago, a fight which both are said to have survived. It is also said that in a rather strange twist, he fell in love with a giant goddess by the name of Eauhlannis, and that he sacrificed an item of great power to gain her hand in marriage. He is said to be the son of a sea god named Faeyordon, and he is said to be a hostage from another “rival tribe of gods” known as the Faernir. His sister is Eldunna.

Hemdahl, Guardian of the Rainbow Staircase, He of the All-Seeing Eye, Defender of the Metahel - This god is the progeny of Yaernsacsa by an unnamed father. He is believed to be a half-brother of Thoros and both half-brother and Uncle to Moedae. It is said that Hemdahl did sacrifice one of his ears for the ability to hear all that occurs, and thus Hemdahl cannot be surprised. Many have equated this god to the god Helm, who guarded the celestial stairway during the time of troubles, and some Payit know him as Hunab-Kuum.

Anachtar, Keeper of Blood Oaths, Lord of Conflict Resolution, Chainer of the Spirit-Wolf - This god is believed to be a half-brother of Thoros. He seeks to intermediate disputes between the gods, and his followers often serve similar roles within the Metahel clans. However, when resolution cannot be achieved, the blood oath is taken in Anachtar's name, resulting in feuds that have been known to decimate clans. This noble god is noted as having a single hand because of his own selflessness, though its also noted that he's had a mechanical hand constructed by dwarves to take its place. The story is that he lost it in chaining Kezris, the Spirit-Wolf. This has caused a log of friction between himself and Valigor, for he blames the trickster god for bringing the great wolf into the world.

Klunella, Three Faced Mistress of Fate, the goddess of the moon and magpies – This goddess appears to be a tripartite goddess with three aspects, as a dark haired woman in her youth, a greying woman of middling years, and a silver headed woman of elderly age. These three aspects weave the tapestry of fate which combine the lives of many in the forms of threads. Klunella is fair of skin and said to have ties to the moon. She is also a hostage gained through the trade with the Faernir, much like Faerthandir and Eldunna. She is also seen as a goddess of the black and white birds known as magpies, who are seen as highly intelligent, and often used as messenger birds of the Metahel. However, magpies can also be deceptive, and thus one must be careful in trusting them. It is said that Klunella and Moedae have begun a budding romance, much to his mother, Sifya's, lament.

Valigor the Runtborn Giant, Lord of Chaos, Trickster of the Gods, Father of Monsters and Magical Beasts - This trickster god was found by the gods in a giant's cradle after a war between the gods and giants. He was obviously a runt amongst giants, and the Metahel gods decided to adopt him and raise him as one of their own. His antics fill many stories amongst the Metahel, usually involving Thoros having to fight some giant in the end. Once it is said that he stole Sifya's hair out of jealousy, angering Thoros, and ending up with him gaining several gifts for the gods from the dwarves. He is also a shapechanging god, and he himself is rumored to have given birth to the race of noble flying horses known as Asperii when he shapechanged into a giant mare to help the gods trick a lying giant into building their home realm for free. However, he is also rumored to have birthed numerous monsters upon a shape changing giantess known as Lamasgrboda, including Chupocol the Great Spider, Kezris the Spirit Wolf that will swallow the moon, and Jormungis the Great Sea Serpent. Valigan and Lamasgrboda also birthed Heleshkiga, the blackhearted Queen of the Dead, who was forced into the Casket of Primordial Winters, and upon escaping was seen to have one side her perpetually frostbitten. Some say this act shattered Heleshkiga's sanity.

Yaernsacsa, Wave Maiden of the Sea, Mother of Hemdahl, Lover of Thoros, Mother of Magnaear - This aloof deity of the sea is known for her capricious nature. The Metahel usually praise her for the sea's bounty or before a sea voyage of some danger. Before Thoros met and married Sifya, he had loved a giantess by the name of Yaernsacsa. However, she would never produce a son for him, no matter how many times he seeded her. Eventually, Thoros met and married Sifya, and as a reward for his aid, Faerthandir did awaken his seed in Sifya. To everyone's great surprise, this act did also awaken his seed within Yaernsacsa as well, and later she gave birth to one of the Thunder Twins.

Yuellar, Huntsman of the Gods, Son of Sifya and Faeyordon, and Stepson of Thoros - This god is known for his superb hunting and tracking skills, skill with a bow, as well as his amazing balance and athletic prowess in sports. He rides upon a giant white, brown, and black spotted hunting hound, Angussen, using his giant flapping ears to hold his seat. He is also served by a pack of hunting wolves and a pair of falcons. Yuellar once helped protect his mother, blood brothers, and blood sister while his stepfather Thoros hung from the world ash to learn the arts of runecraft. As his brother Moedae did range amongst demons, Yuellar and his hounds did hunt those that got past his brother and seek to slay them with his bow, until on the sixteenth day of fighting, his bow finally cracked. He now wields a great rune carved bow, Luegdrasil, made from a limb of the world ash from which Thoros hung. This bow is strung with the sinew and reinforced with the bone of a great horned demon lord which Yuellar did slay during this time protecting his family. The skull of this demon lord adorns the grip of this bow, its fanged maw being where the arrows are released, and its gem filled eyes where he sights through. It is said these eye gems provide far sight, true sight, and even a limited ability to see into the future by a few seconds.

Moedae, Lord of Bravery and Mounted Combat, one of the Thunder Twins – Moedae is a master of the spear, javelin, and axe. His weapon,Glosdrasil, is carved from a limb of the world ash which his brother tore free in order to escape from demon hordes, and it can change into enchanted versions of a great spear of wounding or a returning javelin. In addition, Moedae also possesses a battle axe with a warhammer head on its back side, Vidrikar, whose head broke from its shaft in fighting the demon hordes, and has been replaced with a haft taken from the limb of the world ash. Vidrikar is said to be intelligent and capable of fighting alongside Moedae if commanded to do so. It was Moedae's ranging amongst the demons astride his mount for sixteen days straight that kept them from his father as his mother, blood brothers, and sister kept watch for any demons that got past Moedae to get close to Thoros, and for this he has earned the title “The Brave”. This god keeps a stable of many mounts, but his favorite is a shapechanging child of Besparr the Many-Legged named Bespacsee. This mount most often appears as a great six-legged caribout with a great head of horns in which Moedae couches his great spear when entering combat. However, when he must ride in the sky or water, Bespacsee becomes a flying, silver-furred Asperii or a Hippocampus when it goes beneath the waves. Moedae is seen as a restless god and he rides across the heavens seeking out new challenges to test himself against. He is the son of Sifya and Thoros. It is said that recently he has started a budding romance with the moon goddess, Klunella. much to the chagrin of his mother.

Magnaear, Lord of Strength, one of the Thunder Twins – Magnaer is noted as being extremely strong and hairy, with great fists and an expertise in wrestling. Magnaer is often portrayed wielding a great club, Guldrasil, made of a limb of the world ash which he acquired while defending his father from demons as Thoros hung helpless. Magnaer tore the limb free in order to remove Thoros as his brother and sister held off the demon hordes. This limb is said to have absorbed the blood of his father Thoros and his grandfather Asagrimmr when both of them hung from the tree to learn of rune magics. This god is noted as having a female bear companion, Balanis, who periodically changes shape into that of a woman. It is rumored that her ability to change shape was a gift bestowed by Magnaer, and he did thereby accept the curse that he himself must periodically wander the world as a bear himself. Other stories say that Magnaear received Balanis as a bride-price for a service performed for another deity known as Father Bear or Balador, having come to Balador's aid when he was attacked by a great werewolf named Daragor. It is said in that story that Magnaear was bitten by Daragor and that Balador changed Magnaear's curse by mixing his blood with that of Balanis during their marriage ceremony. There are stories that these two did birth a race of intelligent bear folk, and nearly anytime the two of them are seen they are followed by three young, inquisitive bear cubs. Unlike his aggressive brother, Moedae, Magnaear is known for simply wanting to relax and eat, but he is always called out by foolish giants and other creatures who seek to best him in combat. He is the son of Yaernsacsa and Thoros.

Snoedramorphe, goddess of grace, wisdom, hospitality and the responsibilities of rulership – Snoedramorphe is a goddess who is a goddess of the court and rulers for the most part, though usually acting through the guidance of those closest to rulers, such as wives, consorts, and advisors. However, her focus is on teaching these rulers their roles as protectors of those under their care. She is also seen as a goddess of wisdom and teaching, and many of her followers are those who take on and teach both young men and women. Her followers help oversee parties, dinners, dancers, and other similar social gatherings and ensure that the rules of hospitality are not broken. They often help oversee rulers in contract negotiations as well, in the hopes that the initiatives pushed forward will serve those under their chieftains. She also teaches that many rulers are divinely guided to rule, some having such divinity in their own blood, for the gods have been known to bed with mortals from time to time, and thus crossing one's chieftain must be done with care to ensure one is not crossing against the purpose of the gods. Knocking down a chieftain to obtain personal power is frowned upon, but replacing a chieftain who does not properly serve his people may be seen as divinely guided. It is said that those individuals who served their rulers well in life, particularly females, are called upon to serve in Snoedramorphe's great hall in the afterlife. These individuals, known as the Murdannar, help prepare and/or oversee great feasts. Never a powerful deity, for many centuries, little was heard from Snoedramorphe, other than periodically individuals claiming to be blessed by her appearing amongst the populace (more often than not, these were the wives of rulers who achieved greatness). However, in the last two decades the priests of the Metahel Pantheon have claimed to begin to receive dreams from her once again.

Thoordra Thorosdottir, goddess of runes and truename magic, daughter of Thoros and Sifya – Thoordra is a dutiful daughter who serves to inspire those who seek to employ runecraft. She is depticted in art as a shapely red headed goddess of large but well-placed girth. She wields an adamantine shod, rune carved, and crystal studded staff, Tueldrasil, made from a limb of the world ash, and bears more than a dozen carved wands made of similar wood on a belt at her waist. These wands may be drawn and may act automatically once she sets them a task. It is said that it was Thoordra that recovered the eye of her grandfather, Asagrimmr, from an ancient place of power. She then delivered it to her father, Thoros, when he lost his own eye. It was also Thoordra who helped nail Thoros to the world ash when he sought to delve the mysteries of his father's eye to learn the mysteries of rune magic. Thoordra listened to the fevered meanderings of Thoros for sixteen days, all while protecting her father from the assaults of giant and demonkind. Between fighting, she tended to her father, bringing him mango juice and cleansing his wounds with water from Eldunna's Goldenheart Spring. She also made note of the many mystical markings which covered his body during these fevered dreams, markings which would change shape and/or come and go as time passed. As a result, she learned much of rune and truename magic. However, she sought more, and so her father and she did plot to steal more knowledge of runecraft from the dwarves. Thoordra did entreat a dwarven god of wisdom, whose name seems to vary, but whose ugliness was brought on by the great size of his egg shaped head. Thoordra proposed that she and this dwarven god should become betrothed to her, and met with him in “secret” to tryst with him and they did make vows to one another. When Thoros “learned” of this betrayal he claimed that the dwarven god of wisdom must prove his intellect if he wanted to claim a daughter as fine as his own. It is said that in his haste to prove his wisdom and thus gain her love, that the god revealed the secrets of dwarven runecraft, and thus proved himself a fool not worthy of Thoordra. He was thus slain and Thoordra absorbed much of his power, and it is whispered that his stone body floats in the astral to this day.

Alaeralie (often referred to as the titles “the Deceptress” or “the Mist Mistress” or “Mistress of a Million Myths“ or “Mistress of Misconceptions” or “the Manyfaced Mistress” )- a goddess said to be powerful with illusions, poetry, music and possesses a deceitful tongue almost as clever as Valigor the Runtborn Giant. Alaeralie is a goddess of passion, seduction, and misconception. Some believe that the sirens which draws ships to their death by luring them with song were birth by Alaeralie by a previous husband. Alaeralie is from another “rival tribe of gods” known as the Faernir, but rather than coming over as a part of a hostage trade, she was part of the source of conflict between the two tribes. She sought out a husband amongst the Asagrim gods of the Metahel, saying that she needed protection from those who intended her harm. She seduced Skaragos, the enforcer of punishments amongst the Asagrim, into a marriage. Once ensconced in their house, a god named Faeyordon, claiming to be her prior husband amongst the Faernir, called for the return of his wife. Although the Asagrimr suspected deception on the part of Alaeralie, they could not prove it, and were forced to accept her amongst their family. The two godly tribes went to war, and eventually a peace treaty was arranged when Sifya was offered as wife to Faeyordon, and he sent his two children, Faerthandir and Eldunna, as hostages to live amongst the Asagrim, and keep an eye on Alaeralie. Alaeralie is a wanton and a flirt who uses her womanly wiles and her magic, and many are the stories of the mortals and immortals whom she has slept with, many of whom have found their deaths soon afterward. In particular, though she is still married to Skaragos, there are rumors that she and Valigor have a hidden relationship.

Skaragos, Headsman of the Gods, God of Bloodrage, husband of Alaeralie – A minor god of war, bloodlust, and punishment, Skaragus is not a judge nor jury. He is an executioner and torturer. He does not make decisions amongst the Asagrim, he simply acts upon their orders with little thought of repercussions. In some ways he is a noble god. In others, he is so cold and uncaring as to seem evil to some. He is also a god of passion and rage, and when sent forth to punish the enemies of the gods, his anger is a horror to behold. It was Skaragos that was the center of the conflict between the Asagrim and the Faernir tribes, for he had accepted Alaeralie under his protection as his wife. Though she still cuckolds him periodically, he refuses to hate the goddess of deception out of the one strong emotion he feels for her, love. He does however seek to punish those who cheat with her, if he can get proof of her adultery and the approval of other gods to act upon said proof, which is an exceptionally hard thing to do considering her skill at obfuscation.
In an odd twist to things, it is whispered that Skaragos did not exist prior to the coming of Alaeralie, and that she possibly split Skaragos from Thoros using dream magics, and that she married him in this dream. It is whispered as well that in this dream, she used the golden hair of Sifya, which had been stolen and delivered to her by Valigor, to pose as the blonde goddess to Thoros. Thus, though Skaragos would not appreciate Valigor's possible dalliances with his wife, there is a possibility that he owes his whole existence to the mischievous machinations of this other god.
Surtr - This is without a doubt, the same deity as the god of fire giants, but during the time in Abeir, he was silent. He is an enemy of the Metahel gods.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2019 :  22:01:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and this may be stupid, but you know how Frey was "lord of the elves".... it could be interesting if Faerthandir was lord of a race of fox folk that are found only in the far northern forests. Just to make them look different, having these fox folk have horns like a topi (see below link).

http://www.thetaxidermystore.com/horns-antlers/african-topi-horn-plaque-taxidermy-mount-for-sale-12779.html

Now, where'd these fox folk come from? Maybe the Yuirwood or elsewhere nearby in the "unapproachable east" and bloodstone lands... via some portals... maybe 3... 5... 10... 15...20 millenia ago... what else came through? Bear Folk worshipping Magnar the Bear? Hybsil and Shatjan worshipping the Stag King? Centaurs? gnolls? Spirit Folk? Beings like Rashemi Telthors? Tree/Plant/Flower folk worshipping Relkath of the Infinite Branches (who maybe is known as the Great Spirit Alosaka/Germinator/Muingwu/"#147;Virgin of the Earth#148;" and is portrayed as the "Seed"). Maybe things went the other direction and some races went from this land to Faerun in that region.

I'd also been talking about having a race of foxes with deer antlers, that I was calling the foxibou. Instead of having Faerthandir ride a golden boar, I was thinking of having him ride a red furred dire foxibou whose fur shines like the sun. It feels a lot more "fey" to me, and if the people of this land are already used to these being "normal" creatures, it might make sense for their myths.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  04:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Sleyvas,

I sent you a rather extensive email regarding this discussion. You got me all motivated...hope you get a chance to tell me what you think.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  19:58:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks for the heads up, because that's my gaming email that I don't check often. Yep, I'll follow up with you.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  04:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks like it could be really useful for the Metahel. Expensive, but possibly worth picking up. Anyone have this?

https://www.amazon.com/Greenland-Saga-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Supplement/dp/0970796129

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  09:11:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This looks like it could be really useful for the Metahel. Expensive, but possibly worth picking up. Anyone have this?

https://www.amazon.com/Greenland-Saga-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Supplement/dp/0970796129

Third-party seller of an OOP product... I'd check other sites, including eBay and NobleKnight.com, before committing to that price.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  12:56:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting. Could be an interesting read, but its 3.0 not 3.5 and only 2nd to 4th level, so I'm not expecting a whole lot. As Wooly said, I may try some other options first, as I can't see spending that kind of money. I may get more use out of the old HR1 Viking's Campaign. I'd really like to find some really GOOD rune magic systems, and I do know that in 5e they have started down that road, but not sure what they've done (just like I've barely looked at their psionics, but what I've looked at was interesting and kind of different from traditional).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jürgen Hubert
Acolyte

Germany
33 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2019 :  19:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Jürgen Hubert's Homepage Send Jürgen Hubert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returning back to Maztica, I am finally moving forward with my own project and my own interpretation of the setting:

https://german-geek.blogspot.com/2019/04/a-return-to-maztica.html

The gist: I am interested in a post-colonial examination of the setting - how Maztica was first changed by the invasion of the Golden Legion, and then during its century-long stay on Abeir. This will result in some significant departures from both the original boxed set and Seethyr's fine work, but I think the destination will be very interesting indeed.

A German Geek - my gaming blog
Returned Maztica Discussion Thread - my interpretation of the True World
Doomed Slayers - my social analysis of adventurers. Also, a fantasy setting!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2019 :  21:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jürgen Hubert

Returning back to Maztica, I am finally moving forward with my own project and my own interpretation of the setting:

https://german-geek.blogspot.com/2019/04/a-return-to-maztica.html

The gist: I am interested in a post-colonial examination of the setting - how Maztica was first changed by the invasion of the Golden Legion, and then during its century-long stay on Abeir. This will result in some significant departures from both the original boxed set and Seethyr's fine work, but I think the destination will be very interesting indeed.

I love that you have an alternate version. I particularly like the Jaguar Knights and Eagle Knights as paladins rather than rangers. I wrote TWC1 in 2014-15 when I was still in a 3e state of mind for paladins and didn’t see how appropriate they were for the Knights.

I’m moving out of the Maztican continent I think and planning a number of Anchorome based products. Problem is I’m really trying to up the production value and artwork and maps are costing me an arm and a leg.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Jürgen Hubert
Acolyte

Germany
33 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  06:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Jürgen Hubert's Homepage Send Jürgen Hubert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I love that you have an alternate version. I particularly like the Jaguar Knights and Eagle Knights as paladins rather than rangers. I wrote TWC1 in 2014-15 when I was still in a 3e state of mind for paladins and didn’t see how appropriate they were for the Knights.

Yeah, 5E really loosened up a lot of restrictions for the game. I also found Keith Baker's blog posts on Eberron particularly helpful - he has posted lots of ideas on how to interpret existing 5E classes in different ways to make them fit a particular story.

quote:
I’m moving out of the Maztican continent I think and planning a number of Anchorome based products. Problem is I’m really trying to up the production value and artwork and maps are costing me an arm and a leg.

Yeah, this is a problem - after moving to different cities several time within the last few years, my art budget is... low. I am trying to develop a unified cover design for my series and I am drawing the map myself, but I'm not sure what I will do for my interior art.

As for Anchorome, I haven't given much thought on what could be further north beyond the equivalent of Oklahoma - where I will be locating "The Ghost People of Anchorome", a subterranean civilization of Elan (from the psionics rules) inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's story "The Mound".

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Mound

They can take the role of "creepy underground civilization" over from the drow, who (a) I feel have no place in the western continents and (b) are rather problematic anyway, when you examine them closely.

A German Geek - my gaming blog
Returned Maztica Discussion Thread - my interpretation of the True World
Doomed Slayers - my social analysis of adventurers. Also, a fantasy setting!

Edited by - Jürgen Hubert on 02 Apr 2019 06:23:06
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2019 :  05:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lot of progress has been made...check out where it's all at for Anchorome.

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=15906&p=231146#p231146

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 09 May 2019 05:29:51
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2019 :  21:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planning on some major updates and upgrades to the whole body of Maztica Alive work. Some of it just simply didn’t age well and some ideas need a bit of rethinking. I’m starting with the campaign guide by giving it more art, adding from the smaller published material (like the timeline, magic items and spells), but then removing the tabaxi (since they’ve been done officially), changing Jaguar and Eagle Knights Into paladin archetypes (goes better than ranger imo), removing the more “out there” non canonical lore (it’ll go into the other projects when they’re updated), and maybe rethinking the monsters. I put that book together even before DMsGuild came out and definitely not hombrewery. I just ordered over 200 dollars worth of art from Shutterstock so if anything, that’ll be a big improvement

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2019 :  22:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool new monster from CaptainMorgan with some excellent lore behind it that I’d like to share.

[url=“http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=23066”]Feathered Dragon[/url]

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 22 Dec 2019 22:15:10
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  04:49:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very cool new monster from CaptainMorgan with some excellent lore behind it that I’d like to share.

[url=“http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=23066”]Feathered Dragon[/url]

wow, that wyvern is pretty

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Compaste
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  07:34:40  Show Profile Send Compaste a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The wyvern is awesome, I liked the details that were put into it. Nothing more I can expect from the creators.
Go to Top of Page

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  10:16:02  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody, I just downloade Maztica campaign setting (GREAT work), and I have some questions:
- Are faerunians aware that Maztica and Anchorome exists again?
- Are they interested in reopening trade relations or rebuild their colonies?
- What did Maztican gods during the Time of Troubles?
- I'm planning an adventure in which the PCs are send to Maztica to build a penal colony (like first Australia) in an island without magic.
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  11:42:36  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mrestos Khorvaen

Hello everybody, I just downloade Maztica campaign setting (GREAT work), and I have some questions:
- I'm planning an adventure in which the PCs are send to Maztica to build a penal colony (like first Australia) in an island without magic.

According to the SCAG, travelers from Faerûn who have returned from voyages to the West through the trackless sea tell different tales -so no full knowledge then. Volo’s says tabaxi hail from Maztica and fear something there -hence, unless they are secretive about this, some others may know that Maztica is back. Finally, ToA and its DMsGuild supplements has information on artifacts from Maztica -tied to Zaltec- being in Chult, and on links between Chultans and Mazticans. DMs have thus room to decide if there is widespread knowledge of Maztica’s return or not. If States find out about this, they’ll certainly want to profit from trade and resources.
My Esmeralda DMsG product actually says that it is largely a Maztican island with dead magic and an island prison

Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  12:33:18  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to the SCAG, travelers from Faerûn who have returned from voyages to the West through the trackless sea tell different tales -so no full knowledge then. Volo’s says tabaxi hail from Maztica and fear something there -hence, unless they are secretive about this, some others may know that Maztica is back. Finally, ToA and its DMsGuild supplements has information on artifacts from Maztica -tied to Zaltec- being in Chult, and on links between Chultans and Mazticans. DMs have thus room to decide if there is widespread knowledge of Maztica’s return or not. If States find out about this, they’ll certainly want to profit from trade and resources.
My Esmeralda DMsG product actually says that it is largely a Maztican island with dead magic and an island prison

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  17:36:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You just got many of your answer, but you asked one that wasn't answered. What did the Maztican gods do during the Time of Troubles? Nothing. They were unaffected by the Time of Troubles. However, it should be noted that shortly thereafter 2 of their gods were sent to Toril (Zaltec and Qotal) in something like avatar form. This has led some of us to theorize that Ao wasn't in control of these gods. Whether its because they are actually primordials, dragons, giants, or just have some other overpower is unknown. This may or may not be true. Of note as well, at the end of the novel series (not to give away secrets, but it has been almost 30 years) the high priest of Qotal essentially rejects his own god.

As to what happened with the Maztican gods during the Spellplague, Seethyr's storyline has it that the gods were quiet and unheard by the Mazticans. Personally, I've been going with the idea that the gods who disappeared were actually over in Abeir and active in a "weaker than even the avatars we saw during the ToT form", and having to share the bodies of mortals willing to serve as their hosts. Eventually some gods did develop enough power to form a normal avatar, and they were over there protecting the humans from the depredations of Abeir.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  17:59:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see how Ao could have tossed down all the other gods but not the Maztican ones... Does it explicitly say, somewhere, that they were unaffected?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  20:22:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't see how Ao could have tossed down all the other gods but not the Maztican ones... Does it explicitly say, somewhere, that they were unaffected?

To note, the 2e FRCS W calls into question whether Ao is over them. Also, there is no specific mention of the gods coming to the world during said time. Nor is there a mention of all the great spirits of Anchorome descending during the ToT either. Then, in the novels, they DO have two of the gods descend, and it becomes that its the first time in forever that these gods have come to the realm of mortals essentially. Its a huge plot line in the novels. However, it happens AFTER the time of troubles by a few years.

While certain areas I can buy that the gods are coordinated and orderly, such as the Celestial Bureaucracy going to some mountains and sitting things out, I cannot see that happening with this pantheon. I submit that certain areas of the realms just weren't affected. Is it definitive? No. Its subjective, just like my view that perhaps the gods that disappeared and came back were in Abeir.

BTW, this does kind of call into question one particular function of the Imaskari Godswall. By that, I mean, did it only limit gods coming into areas controlled by Ao. Could the gods have, for instance, gone to another world without issue? If the Mulan people had escaped to say Maztica could they have called on their gods? I had not really thought about this possibility until literally now, but I think THAT is a great way to limit the power of the Imaskari Godswall, but it also contains Ao's power..... which I'm also fine with. I personally want to view Ao as someone who is lying and he's not as powerful as people believe. He's smart mind you. He's powerful mind you. But he can't truly just change things on a whim.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  10:52:42  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everybody for the answers.
Maybe the Maztica gods are so unrelated to their Faerun partners that Aeo found unnecessary to punish them. Or maybe they weren't as indiferent to their followers as the Faerun Pantheon was. So there was no need to punish them.
Tabaxi are original from Maztica? Then how they come to Sword Coast?
Another question: how much it takes to travel by sea from Amn to Maztica?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  11:13:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno, I think the lack of coverage Maztica was getting was a greater factor in the failure to mention its deities, rather than anything else. We know non-human pantheons were affected, we know the Celestial Bureaucracy was affected -- basically, with the exceptions of areas that either weren't described at the time or that weren't getting coverage, every deity we know of was cast down.

Without something that says otherwise, I'm assuming the deities of Maztica got the same treatment as the deities everywhere else.

Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  12:57:50  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is what Volo’s says on the subject, apart from a Cat Lord deity: “ In the Forgotten Realms, tabaxi hail from Maztica, a realm located far across the ocean west of the Sword Coast. The tabaxi of Maztica are known for their isolation, and until recently they never ventured from their homeland. The tabaxi say little of why that has changed, though rumors persist of strange happenings in that distant land.”
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  13:48:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks everybody for the answers.
Maybe the Maztica gods are so unrelated to their Faerun partners that Aeo found unnecessary to punish them. Or maybe they weren't as indiferent to their followers as the Faerun Pantheon was. So there was no need to punish them.

It doesn't seem to be the case, based on what we're shown of their religion. If anything, the extreme indifference that the Faerunian gods were accused of seemed magnified amongst the Maztican gods, who were only worried about getting sacrifices by the hundreds on their altars. Granted, Zaltec is a war god, but that doesn't mean anyone captured in war needs to be sacrificed on his altar OR that practices to capture folk should take precedence so that they can be sacrificed. It actually makes it kind of more strange that these gods weren't punished for their hubris.

Tabaxi are a cat folk that was a monster race in the 1e fiend folio before they were added to Maztica. In 5e, they do make a note that the Tabaxi are found in Maztica. That doesn't mean that's the only place they are from, and I personally suspect that there are some in Katashaka and were some already in Chult. This COULD date back to when all 3 of these areas at one point were connected. In Volo's Guide to Monsters, they try to give a made up reason for the name of the creature's and a tribe of humans beings both being Tabaxi. They indicate they believe it's because of a misunderstanding of a Cormyrian explorer who saw a Tabaxi tribesman wearing a cat cloak, and he assumed this meant all "cat folk" were tabaxi. Since this name is a universal name, across worlds, I submit a more likely answer. The "Tabaxi" tribe is no different than barbarian tribes who call themselves the "wolf", "bear", "sky pony", "lion", "thunderbeast", or other such tribal names after a creature, or of sports teams that call themselves "vikings", "red skins", etc.... They took the name of a creature that they respected and feared.

On travel times from Amn to Maztica, that will vary based on the wind, but its a good question and one I've been meaning to figure out for some time, but I always get sidetracked. It will also depend on the ruleset used I believe.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  13:54:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dunno, I think the lack of coverage Maztica was getting was a greater factor in the failure to mention its deities, rather than anything else. We know non-human pantheons were affected, we know the Celestial Bureaucracy was affected -- basically, with the exceptions of areas that either weren't described at the time or that weren't getting coverage, every deity we know of was cast down.

Without something that says otherwise, I'm assuming the deities of Maztica got the same treatment as the deities everywhere else.

One interesting factor to all of this is that all those others are physically on the same continent AND said continent seemingly disappears wholly to Abeir based on the lore we've been given.

Also, interestingly enough, I don't believe we don't actually have anything telling us that this continent was ON Toril during the Time of Troubles, since it "miraculously was discovered", despite the fact that spelljamming technology had existed prior to this. It can be an interesting loophole if someone wants to use it. For all we know, the reason Maztican magic is so less powerful than Faerunian COULD be because the whole continent disappeared for a while to another "world (possibly even a third world that was twinned). What we can say is that it wasn't on Abeir, because there was no remarking of the sky suddenly changing FROM steelsky to Toril's normal blue with white clouds. In this, I'm just throwing out weird possibilities mind you.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 17 Aug 2020 13:55:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  15:34:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

One interesting factor to all of this is that all those others are physically on the same continent AND said continent seemingly disappears wholly to Abeir based on the lore we've been given.

Also, interestingly enough, I don't believe we don't actually have anything telling us that this continent was ON Toril during the Time of Troubles, since it "miraculously was discovered", despite the fact that spelljamming technology had existed prior to this. It can be an interesting loophole if someone wants to use it. For all we know, the reason Maztican magic is so less powerful than Faerunian COULD be because the whole continent disappeared for a while to another "world (possibly even a third world that was twinned). What we can say is that it wasn't on Abeir, because there was no remarking of the sky suddenly changing FROM steelsky to Toril's normal blue with white clouds. In this, I'm just throwing out weird possibilities mind you.

I assume "miraculously was discovered" only applies to groundlings -- because even with Spelljammer, we don't know anything about the other continents, either. To me, this is a failing of Spelljammer -- I love the setting, but there was so much emphasis on going into and traveling in space that they didn't consider the implications for how space travel would affect the game settings. The attitude seemed to be "disregard established settings, because you can go anywhere!"

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  17:02:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I assume "miraculously was discovered" only applies to groundlings -- because even with Spelljammer, we don't know anything about the other continents, either. To me, this is a failing of Spelljammer -- I love the setting, but there was so much emphasis on going into and traveling in space that they didn't consider the implications for how space travel would affect the game settings. The attitude seemed to be "disregard established settings, because you can go anywhere!"

Agreed. I truly wonder about concepts like finding a "far flung" outpost for Shou Lung, Wa, Nimbral, the moon society, Evermeet, and obviously Thay (since all these societies either had spelljammers or were very familiar with them) on some of the lost continents. I can definitely picture the Netherese with their flying enclaves parking them over another continent. Also, some of the other cultures who are noted as coming TO Toril (such as the Loxo in the Shaar, and how I was talking about the Nubari of Malatra a couple weeks back) possibly being in more than one place. For instance, with the Loxo, I imagine that they have a society that they built in Katashaka with Giff mercenaries, and the ones that crashed in the Shaar were just an anomaly that the core group didn't know about. It would only make sense once they have the technology to go to these areas and explore before sending people offworld.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000