Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maztica Alive! Workshop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2016 :  01:56:01  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count me in for the fan magazine! I can also contribute in the other projects
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2016 :  02:17:03  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paladinnicolas

Count me in for the fan magazine! I can also contribute in the other projects

Awesome! I love reading your material. I'm halfway through a second reading of Esmeralda as it is (looking for the new connections to Lopango particularly from your update). If you have ever seen Threshhold magazine for Mystara, you'll know more of what I'm going for.

Within a few days, I think I will post a brainstorming event either here, or in the Yahoo Group.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2016 :  13:25:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I'll post more later on this, but the "spirit beasts" or Telthors of Rashemen would work well in Maztica

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2016 :  20:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

By the way, I'll post more later on this, but the "spirit beasts" or Telthors of Rashemen would work well in Maztica

That's a good call. Looking through a little RW lore, there are "spirits" known as huaca all through Mesoamerica...they remind me of the Telthor. If I ever getting to finish the Monster Manual, I'll definitely include them.

In the meantime, I finished TWA2 The Curse of Zarzumotl.

The original author and I updated it from 1st edition to 5e Maztica. I'm really proud of how it turned out...

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2016 :  20:59:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh the Spirit Realms, I remember when we dreamt that idea up on a complete tangent about Narauthmault.

Since originally theorising on how they came into being I have decided that the Faerie Plane is actually a transitional plane that was once in alignment with Toril but was shunted out with various disasters (the Sundering, the Tearfall, the Code of Reversion, etc).

As it is a transitional plane beings from Faerie can partially enter the material plane much like ethereal beings can partially enter the material plane. What we see as faeries are actually fey beings that are half in our world and half in their own. When they possess a creature (for fun and out of inquisitiveness) there is a chance the fey creature can leave something behind when the possession ends, a telthor or spirit beast forms out of the memory of that possession.

Incidentally I have shadows as the manifested versions of creatures from the shadow plane.

So ages ago these fey and shadow manifestations were much more common because Toril was in alignment with these two transitional planes. Then they got knocked out of alignment (and the shadow plane became known as a demi plane). Gradually they have been drifting back into alignment until in the present age (1360s for me) they are now back in alignment - the demi plane of shadow is now a full plane of shadow.

Just what I'm thinking. Of course the alignment of places in Toril is not uniform. Faerun is way out of sync because most of the events happened there. The further you travel from faerun the greater in sync the shadow and faerie planes were. Therefore Kara Tur and Maztica would have had telthors and shadows in almost as much abundance as in the distant past (which isn't much because how many ethereal creatures are encountered now, not loads, just some).

By the way, sorry for thread derailing.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2016 :  01:42:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Ahh the Spirit Realms, I remember when we dreamt that idea up on a complete tangent about Narauthmault.

Since originally theorising on how they came into being I have decided that the Faerie Plane is actually a transitional plane that was once in alignment with Toril but was shunted out with various disasters (the Sundering, the Tearfall, the Code of Reversion, etc).

As it is a transitional plane beings from Faerie can partially enter the material plane much like ethereal beings can partially enter the material plane. What we see as faeries are actually fey beings that are half in our world and half in their own. When they possess a creature (for fun and out of inquisitiveness) there is a chance the fey creature can leave something behind when the possession ends, a telthor or spirit beast forms out of the memory of that possession.

Incidentally I have shadows as the manifested versions of creatures from the shadow plane.

So ages ago these fey and shadow manifestations were much more common because Toril was in alignment with these two transitional planes. Then they got knocked out of alignment (and the shadow plane became known as a demi plane). Gradually they have been drifting back into alignment until in the present age (1360s for me) they are now back in alignment - the demi plane of shadow is now a full plane of shadow.

Just what I'm thinking. Of course the alignment of places in Toril is not uniform. Faerun is way out of sync because most of the events happened there. The further you travel from faerun the greater in sync the shadow and faerie planes were. Therefore Kara Tur and Maztica would have had telthors and shadows in almost as much abundance as in the distant past (which isn't much because how many ethereal creatures are encountered now, not loads, just some).

By the way, sorry for thread derailing.

Actually, its not really derailing, because I was kind of going to go there. I'm currently positing that there are areas of the realms that are still "spirit/land linked". In these areas, if someone dies their soul does not go to the fugue plane. It becomes tied to the land. Now whether this is due to the locale or due to the belief of the being theoretically would make a difference.... except that animals are affected differently as well in these spirit linked areas, and they don't worship deities like normal mortals do.

So, perhaps there is something intrinsically different with these areas, and perhaps some areas of Toril are so closely tied to the Feywild that they produce telthors in the area. I would say this to be true in Chult, Rashemen, Maztica, and possibly areas like the Moonshaes,Evermeet, and Nimbral. The main thing that this means to me is that the "three" of Rashemen (Bhalla, Khelliara, and the "Hidden One") that westerners believe emphatically are just aspects of the Faerunian Pantheon are not believed to be such by the Rashemi.... and they probably aren't, and may be something akin to Primordials or Archfey.

It may be that Abeir has a lot of areas that are like this, and its worth questioning... where do the souls of the Abeirans go?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2016 :  00:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it might seem like I am pumping these out kind of fast, but I've been working on many of them for YEARS. I've just decided to make a real push to finish a whole bunch of old projects...

The latest is an adventure for 4 or so characters of levels 6-7 called Blood Offering. It is inspired by the movie From Dusk 'til Dawn and the book Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K Hamilton. It has my first attempt at making maps...I hope they came through ok!

Enjoy!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2016 :  22:13:19  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TWM4 The Penguinfolk is up on DMS Guild! I wrote a bit about it here

The link to the book is here

Enjoy!!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2016 :  20:13:00  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Thanks Seethyr
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  22:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paladinnicolas

Awesome! Thanks Seethyr

No problem! I hope you enjoy it. I'm updating a bunch of my material this week, particularly the Historical document. I'm really looking forward to including the updates you sent me!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  22:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newest draft of the monster book is up if you'd like to check it out.

I have decided to have a piece of artwork for each entry. It's costing me a bit of $$ but I think it will be worth it in the end. This book has none of the classic Maztica monsters...purposefully. They are mostly new creatures, with some random applicable updates like the corollax (which I think fit well).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxj7SLcGYjB5X0p5STVrQjdROUU

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  12:45:22  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there a similar lizardmen race in Maztica to the ones in Warhammer Fantasy with the same Aztec aesthetics?

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120208023_StartCollectingSeriphon02.jpg

Check more pics if you are not familiar with the WH Lizardmen they fit perfectly to the theme.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  16:26:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not in canon (IIRC), but you can EASILY add one - there is/was TONS of undeveloped space in that setting.

I might do a unique half-dragon race using those aesthetics, to keep the 'draconic' flavor I am going for in the region. Might even borrow a term from Runequest - Dragonewts. Pretty-much what you're talking about, but with a little more 'umph'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Nov 2016 18:07:46
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  00:26:12  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody! Regarding official mentions of Maztica, apart from its being referred to in the 5e Dungeon Master's Guide, the recent Volo's Guide to Monsters confirms that it is officially back in the Forgotten Realms and that strange tidings and dangers may be originating from there. In this sense, Volo's mentions the following: "In the Forgotten Realms, tabaxi hail from Maztica [...] until recently they never ventured from their homeland. The tabaxi say little of why that has changed, though rumors persist of strange happenings in that distant land." Thoughts of what this may mean? Perhaps Maztica may be dealt with partially in a future adventure? Or what do you imagine could be happening there? Interesting and exciting news from Maztica for me. They may be making it even cooler.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2016 :  22:21:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone have a physical copy of City of Gold?

My pdf copy is missing a map piece, and I am right in the middle of trying to piece the map back together. I used to have these maps, but like everything else, they were lost in the fire. The piece that says 'Dog People' was scanned twice, hence the problem (pieces 6 & 7 of the 8 are the same). If anyone has a better pdf, or can scan e that page, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks - Mark

EDIT: Nevermind - I found another pdf of it on my computer, scanned at a higher resolution, that has the missing piece. Now I have one piece that doesn't match the others, but oh well. I'm not going to start over. its just for reference, after all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Dec 2016 22:37:49
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  01:30:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Anyone have a physical copy of City of Gold?

My pdf copy is missing a map piece, and I am right in the middle of trying to piece the map back together. I used to have these maps, but like everything else, they were lost in the fire. The piece that says 'Dog People' was scanned twice, hence the problem (pieces 6 & 7 of the 8 are the same). If anyone has a better pdf, or can scan e that page, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks - Mark

EDIT: Nevermind - I found another pdf of it on my computer, scanned at a higher resolution, that has the missing piece. Now I have one piece that doesn't match the others, but oh well. I'm not going to start over. its just for reference, after all.

Hey Markustay.... I'm not sure where I found it, but someone had scanned in the entire city of gold map as a png and put the pieces together. Its not pretty but its better than looking at it as separate pages. If you want to PM me an address, I'll gladly send it your way.

Also, I've been playing around with campaign cartographer and recently did my own version of that region. Its horrid compared to your work, but if you'd like it, I'm willing to share that as well.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2016 :  02:21:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naw, I'm good. Thanks though. That scanned-in map would have saved me some time, but I've gotten pretty fast at pasting them back together. That was one of the very few I never bothered to do before.

Working on the Maztica + Abeir map again... amongst other things.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2017 :  21:00:50  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I'm wondering if Seethyr is still working in this project.

As for Abeiran stuff, I've finished the Brimstone Angels saga. If Markustay need help with lore about Abeir nature, you can contact me here or in the FR wiki.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2017 :  22:40:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this (map) project is on the back-back burner for now. I have no idea if Seethyr is continuing this.

I am trying to finish one map today which I shouldn't have even bothered with (it was just too cool once I began paying around), and then I still want to re-release my Eastern Heartlands map (Director's Cut), and finally finish the last couple of things I never got to on my Shaareach map (which will be another re-release).

And all of that, before I get back to the actual NEW project I am doing. And once the first two installments of THAT is done, I'll get back to Returned Abeir & Maztica... maybe. Although, honestly, I'm just not 'into it' that much anymore (the hybrid version). I think Ed's RA lore would be better-served somewhere 'closer to home', as in, 'Faerûn proper'. Halruaa-lovers weren't too thrilled with my last solution, so I'm still mulling it all over. Perhaps in place of Lantan? (and PLEASE, there can't possibly be that many 'Lantan lovers' out there, could there be? Who the heck was using it?!)

Dammit... now you have me thinking about this again... I may need to take some Ritalin...

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jan 2017 22:46:14
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2017 :  02:04:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, this (map) project is on the back-back burner for now. I have no idea if Seethyr is continuing this.

I am trying to finish one map today which I shouldn't have even bothered with (it was just too cool once I began paying around), and then I still want to re-release my Eastern Heartlands map (Director's Cut), and finally finish the last couple of things I never got to on my Shaareach map (which will be another re-release).

And all of that, before I get back to the actual NEW project I am doing. And once the first two installments of THAT is done, I'll get back to Returned Abeir & Maztica... maybe. Although, honestly, I'm just not 'into it' that much anymore (the hybrid version). I think Ed's RA lore would be better-served somewhere 'closer to home', as in, 'Faerûn proper'. Halruaa-lovers weren't too thrilled with my last solution, so I'm still mulling it all over. Perhaps in place of Lantan? (and PLEASE, there can't possibly be that many 'Lantan lovers' out there, could there be? Who the heck was using it?!)

Dammit... now you have me thinking about this again... I may need to take some Ritalin...

I don't see a lot of Lantan lovers, but Returned Abeir dwarfs Evermeet by like triple its size and Evermeet dwarfs by like double its size.... unless I'm misreading you and you're just wanting to stick it off the western coast of Lantan... which yeah, that could work.... Nelanther pirates nearby... Chult nearby... Moonshaes nearby unless you make it southwest of Lantan.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  22:46:26  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Volo's guide it has the Tabaxi worshipping the Cat Lord, not the Maztican Gods.

Edited by - Gyor on 26 Aug 2017 22:48:32
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  00:56:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

In Volo's guide it has the Tabaxi worshipping the Cat Lord, not the Maztican Gods.

Volo's Guide mentions a god that some Tabaxi worship. If there's one thing I've learned it's that no god has exclusive control over any given race. Some lizard folk worship someone other than Semuanya, some bugbears worship someone other than Hruggek, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2017 :  17:13:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and also
quote:
On the Night of Wailing, the drow became driders

But IIRC there was something about monopoly on drider form being one of the few things about which Lolth is consistent?
Specifically, that unless this transformation is performed in the authorised way (by her priestess via specific ritual with a Handmaiden present), this attracts Spider Queen's own attention - the victim reverts in a few rounds no matter what spell it was, and for the transgressor, well, things are bound to get ugly and personal.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2017 :  18:50:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for Shiggles (thanks Wooly ), my 'Maztica Pantheon IS the Draconic Pantheon' table (with a couple of extras)

Maztica/Draconic Pantheon

Azul  (LE)        'Giver of Rain, Taker of Breath'      Null (LE)           Dragon god of Death (Falazure)
Eha  (CN)               Wind Sprite (Breath)            Asterinian (CN)         Messenger of Asgorath
Kiltzi  (CG)          Health, Growth, & Love            Hlal (CG)           Humor, inventiveness, pleasure
Kukul  (N)         “Ancient Father of the Gods”         Io (N)                   Father of Dragonkind
Maztica  (N)          aspect of Earthmother             World Serpent (N)     Reality (Prime Material)
Nula  (CN)             Guardian of Animals              Kareska (CN)          Goddess of Dragon Magic
Plutoq  (LN)      Earth God (punishes insolence)        Lendys (LN)               God of Justice     
Qotal   (LG)          'The Feathered dragon'            Bahamut (LG)            'The Justicemaker'
Tezca  (CE)            God of sun and fire              Garyx (CE)          God of fire and destruction
Watil  (NG)               Guardian of Plants            Tamara (NG)              'Goddess of Life'
Zaltec  (CE)           Warbringer, Heart-Eater          Zehir (NE)             'The Dark Whisperer'

Theoretical:
Quetzalcoatl – Jazirian
Tlazolteotl - Sharess

From Anchoromé:
Coyote - Nathair Sgiathach (although I picture him having a Capuchan Monkey aspect in Maztica).
Raven - Asterinian

Null is actually perfect for Azul - he has two aspects, one a 'bringer of life', the other, of death (just like Azul). Kereska is probably the biggest stretch, but I figure its a 'primal thing' - the power of Raw magic is connected to the pure physicality (strength, constitution) of The Prime Material, which is represented by 'the Beast' (primal power). I look at it this way - primitive cultures are very concerned with their livestock, and a lot of their magic probably revolves around using and protecting that, so over time, magic itself becomes affiliated with beasts. Plus, there is the whole 'guardian spirit' thing where tribal magic is concerned. Like I said, thats a stretch, but the rest are good fits.

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Aug 2017 18:59:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2017 :  20:16:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just for Shiggles (thanks Wooly ),

I wish I could take credit for inventing that one. I just happened to overhear some random person at GenCon say it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jürgen Hubert
Acolyte

Germany
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2017 :  08:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Jürgen Hubert's Homepage Send Jürgen Hubert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jürgen Hubert

Hello, everyone!

This is my first time posting on Candlekeep, though some here might recognize me from elsewhere. The establishment of the Dungeon Master's Guild rekindled my own interest in the Forgotten Realms, including writing material for the Forgotten Realms - and like Seethyr, I am especially fascinated by Maztica.

I have my own vision and interpretation of how Maztica may have changed due to its trip to Abeir and back again, focusing mainly on how invasive species and ideas have shaped the continent in the interim. I am still at the brainstorming phase, but my thoughts so far can be seen in this RPGNet thread.

Originally I was hesitant in coming here, not wishing to step on Seethyr's toes, but he just contacted me and we have come to an agreement that it is much better to collaborate and plunder each others' awesome ideas instead of not talking to each other. ;)

The main development threads will continue to be separate - this thread will be about Seethyr's interpretation while I will continue to discuss my interpretation on RPGNet. However, if you see something interesting there and come up with a way to fit it into this version of Maztica, don't hesitate to bring it up here. I shall certainly do the reverse over there. ;)

Beyond that, you might also be interested in the RPGNet thread for my discussions of official Maztica material, which I am currently reading through. I have finished with the Boxed Set - its discussion starts here, and am currently reading through "Ironhelm", the first Maztica novel, starting on this page.

I am looking forward to what we can come up with together!

As a short update, while I had taken a lengthy break from this project I am now back and I have restarted the RPGNet thread.

My current sub-project is to build the twin cities of Ulatos-Dragonport in greater detail - it is once more the primary port of entry for visitors from Faerun now that the Godless Time has ended, but it has gone through many changes in the intervening time. And visitors might find it all too easy to stumble into one of the many plots of a nation that has newly won its freedom, but which has not yet decided what kind of nation it wants to be...

A German Geek - my gaming blog
Returned Maztica Discussion Thread - my interpretation of the True World
Doomed Slayers - my social analysis of adventurers. Also, a fantasy setting!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2017 :  15:51:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Since Seethyr disappeared, the ideas I developed for his project were left adrift. I guess I'm going to read your work and see if I can rework my ideas to match yours.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2017 :  02:14:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hello, everyone!

This is my first time posting on Candlekeep, though some here might recognize me from elsewhere. The establishment of the Dungeon Master's Guild rekindled my own interest in the Forgotten Realms, including writing material for the Forgotten Realms - and like Seethyr, I am especially fascinated by Maztica.

I have my own vision and interpretation of how Maztica may have changed due to its trip to Abeir and back again, focusing mainly on how invasive species and ideas have shaped the continent in the interim. I am still at the brainstorming phase, but my thoughts so far can be seen in this RPGNet thread.

Originally I was hesitant in coming here, not wishing to step on Seethyr's toes, but he just contacted me and we have come to an agreement that it is much better to collaborate and plunder each others' awesome ideas instead of not talking to each other. ;)

The main development threads will continue to be separate - this thread will be about Seethyr's interpretation while I will continue to discuss my interpretation on RPGNet. However, if you see something interesting there and come up with a way to fit it into this version of Maztica, don't hesitate to bring it up here. I shall certainly do the reverse over there. ;)

Beyond that, you might also be interested in the RPGNet thread for my discussions of official Maztica material, which I am currently reading through. I have finished with the Boxed Set - its discussion starts here, and am currently reading through "Ironhelm", the first Maztica novel, starting on this page.

I am looking forward to what we can come up with together!

As a short update, while I had taken a lengthy break from this project I am now back and I have restarted the RPGNet thread.

My current sub-project is to build the twin cities of Ulatos-Dragonport in greater detail - it is once more the primary port of entry for visitors from Faerun now that the Godless Time has ended, but it has gone through many changes in the intervening time. And visitors might find it all too easy to stumble into one of the many plots of a nation that has newly won its freedom, but which has not yet decided what kind of nation it wants to be...

So, did you do any of the Maztica Alive stuff up on DM's Guild? The base Maztica update was pretty good, and I must admit to really liking the Lopango update, though I'm working the edges of it (the portions of the Lopango map that are unseen). I'm also changing one major premise, in that the "gods were silent". I'm actually having them being there (initially even as weakened avatars like what were seen during the ToT... some actually getting killed in conflict with Primordials or dragons).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2017 :  02:29:40  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, the Maztican products on DMs Guild are Seethyr's.

Go to Top of Page

Jürgen Hubert
Acolyte

Germany
33 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2017 :  04:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Jürgen Hubert's Homepage Send Jürgen Hubert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I have nothing up at the DM's Guild... so far. I do hope to publish some Maztica stuff there sometime next year, but it's too early to say when.

Note that my own version of Maztica is rather different than Maztica Alive - it was heavily inspired by the book "1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created" by Charles Mann on how the Columbian Exchange changed the world. Consider how Mesoamerica changed in our world after the Spanish conquest... and in this world, the "Spanish" occupation ended prematurely after a few decades and was replaced by rule by dragon overlords and their minions. Now, in the current (5e) era Maztica is largely entering a "post-colonial" phase - going through massive changes while never really abandoning its old traditions entirely.

Plus, during its sojourn on Abeir, the land picked up a lot of new inhabitants...

A German Geek - my gaming blog
Returned Maztica Discussion Thread - my interpretation of the True World
Doomed Slayers - my social analysis of adventurers. Also, a fantasy setting!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000