Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maztica Alive! Workshop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2014 :  01:37:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novaseven

I just wanted to say that your work inspired me to play a Maztican character in our 5e game. It's an angle that I never would have considered, and its led to some amazing roleplay opportunities. Thanks again!

That is fantastic! I'm so glad someone can get use of this. I'm dying to run a tabaxi hishnacaster myself, I'm too busy DMing though!

I edited the OP, and there is now an adventure in the works. Heck, it's actually already at about 20 pages because it was originally written by SJS of the Dragonsfoot community and we are trying to update it to 5e and Maztica. Hopefully you get to run the adventure too when it's done :-)

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2014 :  19:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So no need to slow down, right? In addition to working with Dazzlerdal on some new material, I am also working with SJS from the Dragonsfoot community and new artists to develop an adventure for low level characters based off of an adventure SJS wrote many years ago (adapted to Maztica of course). It is set to start in the desert of the House of Tezca, uses rules from the campaign guide, and introduces a new underground and hidden city much in the model of the Lost City of Cynidicea. It is called the Curse of Zarzumotl and the latest draft is found here.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 14 Oct 2014 19:04:45
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2014 :  19:53:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it turns out I actually love Maztica (well a slightly altered version of Maztica anyway). Hopefully everyone will enjoy the ideas we are coming up with.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  17:07:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maztica is back - its official.

Its mentioned in this excerpt of the 5e DMG as being part of Toril.
quote:
"Beyond the central continent of Faerūn, Toril includes the regions of Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, and Maztica."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Nov 2014 17:09:14
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  20:09:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do wonder if this means they'll displace "returned abeir" to abeir (which if they create portal links between the two worlds, may not be so bad...).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2014 :  08:54:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Maztica is back - its official.

Its mentioned in this excerpt of the 5e DMG as being part of Toril.
quote:
"Beyond the central continent of Faerūn, Toril includes the regions of Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, and Maztica."

I have a feeling that this is all the official detail we will ever see from WoTC regarding Maztica, a single paragraph leaving nothing but questions.

Or maybe i'm just being overly cynical

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2014 :  18:47:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the bright side, the less we expect, the less disappointment we set ourselves up for.

Doctors do it all the time - you present the worst case scenario, and if anything less (or more, in our case) happens, then you're a hero. By not promising anything, they set themselves up to be the heroes whenever something positive comes about.

I don't get mad about that - I think whoever steering this ship these days has some real business savvy., and thats a good thing.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2014 18:48:17
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2014 :  22:42:43  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay. This is good news. I would love to see Maztica. Maybe with some more Faerunian colonies there. To Realmsify it more. And more demihuman countries.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  18:48:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just remembered this thread - I plan on doing some stuff here soon, so stay tuned.

A completely bare-bones, VERY EARLY version of my 'Returned Maztica' scenario map (which I would love to see them make official in 5e).

Lions, and Tigers, and draco-warriors, OH MY!!!

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Aug 2015 18:49:14
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2015 :  03:34:10  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's great! I am looking forward to reading what you say. I would also like to say that I have been working on a part of Maztica I call Esmeralda, the documents of which you can download at the Maztica alive (yahoo groups) webpage. It focuses on political intrigue and supernatural mystery in Maztica, based on the 3e FRCS mention of how many unknown lands and cultures there are in Maztica. I hope you can take a look at it.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2016 :  23:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disappeared a few years ago due to some major health issues in my family. In fact, I disappeared from all of gaming and pretty much contact with the outside world as well. Happy to say that all is actually much better now and I am back to work in this workshop. You'll be hearing more from me soon.

Dazzlerdal - sorry I went away mid project like that bud!

Paladinnicolas - Esmeralda looks awesome, I checked it out in the Yahoo group and it has some great potential for adventuring!

Markustay - The map you started really looks like a great beginning! Are you planning on going forward with it?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 25 Jan 2016 23:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2016 :  03:00:08  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azure Skies is all done and linked in my signature, now its onto a number of different projects. There will be 5e updates coming to much of the work done for 3e as well. Starting with a story called Diamond Eyes (and accompanying crunch).

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  04:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished an update to the 3.5e version of Lopango and Diamond Eyes. They're up on DMS Guild now and linked in my signature.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 16 Feb 2016 04:42:00
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  20:26:44  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always had an intense fondness for Maztica, simply because we rarely see much Mesoamerican mythology in our fantasy, it's almost entirely Western Europe with maybe a dash of the Far East because ninja and samurai are cool. I really enjoyed the Maztica book trilogy, but felt I was pretty much the only one. I'm doing a complete read through of all the FR novels and maintaining a discussion thread over in that subforum, and this trilogy engendered zero discussion, so I figured it just wasn't a well-received area of the Realms.

I just clicked on your netbook and sort of skimmed around, picking out a few morsels here and there (and taking in the striking artwork). At first glance it looks to be top-notch quality work and I'm going to have to carve out some free time to read it in its entirety. Damn you for that!

Seriously though, terrific job Seethyr. It's very obvious this was a labor of love, and you should be commended on your fine efforts.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  06:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

I've always had an intense fondness for Maztica, simply because we rarely see much Mesoamerican mythology in our fantasy, it's almost entirely Western Europe with maybe a dash of the Far East because ninja and samurai are cool. I really enjoyed the Maztica book trilogy, but felt I was pretty much the only one. I'm doing a complete read through of all the FR novels and maintaining a discussion thread over in that subforum, and this trilogy engendered zero discussion, so I figured it just wasn't a well-received area of the Realms.

I couldn't agree more. To be perfectly honest, I can't believe how much flack the Realms can take for trying out "other cultures" like they have done. I love the "different" feel to them not just as an occasional side jaunt, but as my whole campaign. It has always given my players the feeling that they were part of something truly unique.

quote:

I just clicked on your netbook and sort of skimmed around, picking out a few morsels here and there (and taking in the striking artwork).

Would you believe I paid $0 for all of that amazing art? I simply found the artwork, emailed the artists and asked if I could use it. Legitimately 75% of the artists said yes! (some of the ones that were refused were quite beautiful, I wish it had been otherwise)

quote:

At first glance it looks to be top-notch quality work and I'm going to have to carve out some free time to read it in its entirety. Damn you for that!

Seriously though, terrific job Seethyr. It's very obvious this was a labor of love, and you should be commended on your fine efforts.

Besides the enjoyment I find in the the work itself, comments like this are exactly why I spent all that time. I can't thank you enough (and yes, it is certainly a labor of love)!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  07:48:57  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I have spent some time working on Pluma and Hishna 5e spells to create a book of 40-50 new spells. This new project has me continually worrying about potential imbalances the new spells may cause, particularly the higher level ones. Here is a 9th level one that I based off of Imprisonment.

HISHNA CURSE
9th-level abjuration [hishna]

Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 100 miles
Components: V, S, M (flesh, hair or other
material from the target creature mixed into a
clay effigy shaped like the target costing 500
gp per Hit Die of the target creature for exotic
ingredients, the effigy is consumed whether
or not the spell works)
Duration: Until Dispelled or Special

Using some part of a creature’s body (hair, fingernails, flesh, blood, etc.) and expensive oils and clay, you may create a small effigy of your target and cast this spell on it if it's within a 100 mile radius of you. The creature must make a Wisdom saving throw or fall comatose. While they are comatose, they do not need to eat, drink or even breathe, and they do not age.
You may then choose to keep the creature in this state indefinitely or cause 10d10 damage once, in a damage type of your choice (you burn the effigy for fire damage, throw it off a cliff for bludgeoning, etc.). Once the creature sustains damage, it awakes from its slumber and can never again be affected by you casting this spell.
The spell may be ended prematurely if it is successfully dispelled by a dispel magic.

Is this too powerful? I tried to compare it to Imprisonment and it had some features that clearly made it more powerful than that already potent spell (very long range plus option to inflict damage), so I made it easier to dispel.

I also question why imprisonment is an abjuration spell instead of enchantment, but I went with it.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2016 :  05:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellbook is done and linked in sig - it ended up at 25 spells covering all levels.

Next up is between a Monster Manual and an adventure that I finished in 3e but was never quite happy with called "Blood Offering." There is a long discussion about this adventure located right here on the Piazza

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2016 :  00:49:57  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Here is a 9th level one that I based off of Imprisonment.

Why not on Cursed Image? It already does something like this.
quote:
ingredients
- Gold piece magic. Not only is it an awful trend in itself, but it didn't pop in Maztican magic originally and is obviously not fitting for the setting.
- Metagamey element ("per Hit Die").
quote:
I also question why imprisonment is an abjuration spell instead of enchantment, but I went with it.

Because it banishes away (which is Abjuration effect - like Dismissal and Banishment) and contains (also mostly Abjuration - much like inverted circles of protection).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2016 :  21:13:27  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Here is a 9th level one that I based off of Imprisonment.

Why not on Cursed Image? It already does something like this.

Where is Cursed Image located in 5e now? Imprisonment in 5e isn't the same Imprisonment from earlier editions...one of the options now puts a victim into eternal slumber.
quote:

quote:
ingredients
- Gold piece magic. Not only is it an awful trend in itself, but it didn't pop in Maztican magic originally and is obviously not fitting for the setting.
- Metagamey element ("per Hit Die").

I have to disagree...the gp value is truly necessary for game balance in this case. Its also not actual gold I am using, it is a craft worth a gp value. In many non-European cultures, using an images of a being to give some kind of power over them is quite common.
quote:

quote:

[quote] I also question why imprisonment is an abjuration spell instead of enchantment, but I went with it.

Because it banishes away (which is Abjuration effect - like Dismissal and Banishment) and contains (also mostly Abjuration - much like inverted circles of protection).

Yeah, you're correct on this, though Imprisonment in the PHB has a number of options now. Its main (I guess) is to send people away and thats why they went with abjuration, but the sleep option seems undoubtedly an enchantment. I think that is more in line with this spell to be honest.

As a side note, I actually got inspiration for this spell from the novel Feathered Dragon. The drider hishnacaster Darien put the hero of the story, Erixitl, under a curse that had this effect exactly. The only part I really invented was the effigy.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 19 Feb 2016 21:15:21
Go to Top of Page

Jürgen Hubert
Acolyte

Germany
33 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  18:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Jürgen Hubert's Homepage Send Jürgen Hubert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, everyone!

This is my first time posting on Candlekeep, though some here might recognize me from elsewhere. The establishment of the Dungeon Master's Guild rekindled my own interest in the Forgotten Realms, including writing material for the Forgotten Realms - and like Seethyr, I am especially fascinated by Maztica.

I have my own vision and interpretation of how Maztica may have changed due to its trip to Abeir and back again, focusing mainly on how invasive species and ideas have shaped the continent in the interim. I am still at the brainstorming phase, but my thoughts so far can be seen in this RPGNet thread.

Originally I was hesitant in coming here, not wishing to step on Seethyr's toes, but he just contacted me and we have come to an agreement that it is much better to collaborate and plunder each others' awesome ideas instead of not talking to each other. ;)

The main development threads will continue to be separate - this thread will be about Seethyr's interpretation while I will continue to discuss my interpretation on RPGNet. However, if you see something interesting there and come up with a way to fit it into this version of Maztica, don't hesitate to bring it up here. I shall certainly do the reverse over there. ;)

Beyond that, you might also be interested in the RPGNet thread for my discussions of official Maztica material, which I am currently reading through. I have finished with the Boxed Set - its discussion starts here, and am currently reading through "Ironhelm", the first Maztica novel, starting on this page.

I am looking forward to what we can come up with together!

A German Geek - my gaming blog
Returned Maztica Discussion Thread - my interpretation of the True World
Doomed Slayers - my social analysis of adventurers. Also, a fantasy setting!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2016 :  22:33:41  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, figured it was time for an update. Here is what has been going on since my last post in February.

1. Collaboration!

There is collaboration going on all over the place, it is very exciting! First off, Paladincolas has pretty much finished an independent island which he set off the coast of Maztica known as Esmeralda. He has asked me to help him edit it, and considering it is over 60 pages, this has been taking me far longer than expected. Sorry P!
As you can see in the above post, Jurgen is working on his own version of Maztica that is in many ways very different than the Maztica Alive version, but no less exciting. I have been following his work which he provided a link to in his post very carefully and he is loading me up with ideas.
I was also in the process of working on a Maztican Bestiary and was about 8 creatures in when Leonaru finsihed his amazing update. The vast majority of what he has done is compatible with the Maztica Campaign Guide but there are a few changes that would need to clear up inconsisistencies, such as the statistics of the plumazotl. Wonderfully, he has agreed to update his book for a second version that would be 100% compatible and follow the format I have been using (including the TW tag system I have been using!) I'll post a link the moment it is done. I also have hired an artist who is doing an amazing job bringing the stats to life.
Speaking of monsters...

2. Monsters!

I worked my butt off trying to create an easy monster creator on Excel. It worked pretty well, but absolutely pales in comparison to what I just found...this thing is unreal for developing your own: http://theangrygm.com/monster-building-202/. It has inspired me to write a supplemental book of all new creatures. If anyone is interested in including some of their own, I gladly would, and I might even be able to provide art for your creation.

3. Zatal, Blood Offering and other Adventures.

I have been dying to make some decent adventures for a long time now for Maztica, but have only come up with the short side trek in the campaign guide known as "Dark Mound." I felt I couldn't really go for it until my monsters were fleshed out, so this will certainly be the next step!

Well, that's this months update, please send me a message or post here if you have some monster ideas for the bestiary or would like to collaborate on something else.

Scroll down to "Recording Your Creation" and find the program there.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2016 :  21:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Author Nicolįs Carrillo has just finished his amazing 60+ page book TWC4 Esmeralda - Island of Revolution and Supernatural Threats. It's awesome!

There is also The Grand History of the True World up - though it is a work in progress.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 29 Mar 2016 21:08:22
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2016 :  22:42:35  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice stuff. Gonna have to check it out.

Will you guys ever delve into Anchorome? Could be cool to expand on what is known to be there, like the Poscadar Elves, Azuposi tribes. On the FR Wiki it says its western regions are dwelled by Thri-kreen tribes, which I think is a cool idea (albeit I can't find the source of the claim).
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2016 :  22:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Will you guys ever delve into Anchorome? Could be cool to expand on what is known to be there, like the Poscadar Elves, Azuposi tribes. On the FR Wiki it says its western regions are dwelled by Thri-kreen tribes, which I think is a cool idea (albeit I can't find the source of the claim).

Thank you!

I have been dying to get to Anchorome to be perfectly honest. City of Gold is by far my favorite of all the Maztica products and I've been waiting forever to delve into it. I just keep getting caught up in other projects, because I think when we finally do, it will have to be as extensive as the Maztica Campaign guide. A lot of cultural research needs to be done (Anasazi).

In the meantime, I don't know if you've seen this:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/175120/Heroes-of-the-Sundered-Realms

It is set in Anchorome, but it abandons the whole Pueblo or Native American approach. It's a great piece of work nevertheless.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2016 :  00:11:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say it's better specifically because it abandons the whole Native American approach.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2016 :  01:06:33  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thank you!

I have been dying to get to Anchorome to be perfectly honest. City of Gold is by far my favorite of all the Maztica products and I've been waiting forever to delve into it. I just keep getting caught up in other projects, because I think when we finally do, it will have to be as extensive as the Maztica Campaign guide. A lot of cultural research needs to be done (Anasazi).

In the meantime, I don't know if you've seen this:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/175120/Heroes-of-the-Sundered-Realms

It is set in Anchorome, but it abandons the whole Pueblo or Native American approach. It's a great piece of work nevertheless.

Oh wow, gonna have to check that too now lol.

I have to say that my favourite book that you guys have done is the Lopango one. I really like that as well as having the standard corresponding RW human analogue culture, it's such a diverse land with a nice big chunk of unique races and cultures, with stereotypes of certain races turned upside down. I like particularly the idea of the macabre Supay gnomes, the sorcerous imperial orcs from Katashaka who subjugate jungle drow and that swamp-dwelling degenerate Illithid barbarian race.

I hope for your next campaign guides you also include some more unique demihuman cultures.

Edited by - deserk on 30 Mar 2016 01:10:14
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  15:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I would say it's better specifically because it abandons the whole Native American approach.

-- George Krashos

One little tiny corner of the Realms wholly dedicated to a culture (well, many cultures) with hundreds of myths to raid wasn't such a bad thing. The good thing about it is that the author really went far to the west, and left the Anchorome alluded to in FMQ1 - City of Gold alone. There isn't a ton of connections to the Realms as we know it, with the exception of some mentions of the aeree, so it's kind of like the author had a home brew campaign and found a good spot to plop it down in the Realms. It just so happens that it's a good one.

quote:
I have to say that my favourite book that you guys have done is the Lopango one. I really like that as well as having the standard corresponding RW human analogue culture, it's such a diverse land with a nice big chunk of unique races and cultures, with stereotypes of certain races turned upside down. I like particularly the idea of the macabre Supay gnomes, the sorcerous imperial orcs from Katashaka who subjugate jungle drow and that swamp-dwelling degenerate Illithid barbarian race.

I hope for your next campaign guides you also include some more unique demihuman cultures.

I'm actually really glad that Lopango is a favorite. It's the only one that I really just got to go crazy on, without having to constantly go back to reference lore. I tried to get every little bit of lore that was even closely related to Lopango first, and I used that as a framework, but it was so minimal that I got to be as creative as I wanted.

Anchorome is really going to be fun when the time comes, but it has to be done right. It might just be a supplement on "Anchorome East" or something along those lines, because all of Anchorome is too big to cover properly in one 60-80 page book. I have to go back and read FMQ1 again, but I am sure there are references to yuan-ti (in the Ruins of Esh-Alakar) and a Land of Mantis Men, on top of Pasocadar elves and other standard races.

On another note, the first "official" Maztica Alive adventure is up on DMS Guild. It's called "The Ruins" and based completely off of the movie of the same name from 2008.

TWA1 The Ruins

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2016 :  20:29:23  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Author Nicolįs Carrillo has just finished his amazing 60+ page book TWC4 Esmeralda - Island of Revolution and Supernatural Threats. It's awesome!

Thanks Seethyr! The island's history is heavily influenced by both Amnian and Maztican events, and I hope you like it. You can take a look at it here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/178899/TWC4-Esmeralda-Island-of-Revolution-and-Supernatural-Threats
The description I made of the PDF is the following: "Esmeralda, an island where several Republics seceded from a racist Empire still attempting to reconquer the lands it lost - independent Republics now facing terrorist threats and transnational organized crime; an island where restless spirits and Fae threaten mortals; where Faerūnian magic is not reliable and firearms have been developed; where an International Tribunal is spied upon when trying to deliver justice amid armed conflicts; where pirates plunder the seas and privateers fight the proxy wars of nations; where lost and hidden temples connect to other worlds or empower shamans; the birthplace of Aarakocra; where vigilantes are born and die everyday in the slums or mansions; where besieged cities face death or glory; and where sacrificial magic torments the living and exorcists fight against the supernatural and schisms. It is a land of lost wonders, secrets and peril.

The book includes the overview of this Maztican island, its peoples and nations; the rules of sacrificial magic; the Esmeraldian exorcist class; backgrounds and more to play in this island to the West of Maztica, in the Forgotten Realms. A domain of dread originally from Esmeralda is also described in the book.

New mechanics include the notion of Spiritual Hit Points, Attacks and Armor Class: some mystical beings cannot be hurt by spells or weapons, but only by the deeds and faith of pious souls.

The book is 65 pages long."
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  01:45:27  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paladinnicolas

quote:

Thanks Seethyr! The island's history is heavily influenced by both Amnian and Maztican events, and I hope you like it. You can take a look at it here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/178899/TWC4-Esmeralda-Island-of-Revolution-and-Supernatural-Threats
The description I made of the PDF is the following: "Esmeralda, an island where several Republics seceded from a racist Empire still attempting to reconquer the lands it lost - independent Republics now facing terrorist threats and transnational organized crime; an island where restless spirits and Fae threaten mortals; where Faerūnian magic is not reliable and firearms have been developed; where an International Tribunal is spied upon when trying to deliver justice amid armed conflicts; where pirates plunder the seas and privateers fight the proxy wars of nations; where lost and hidden temples connect to other worlds or empower shamans; the birthplace of Aarakocra; where vigilantes are born and die everyday in the slums or mansions; where besieged cities face death or glory; and where sacrificial magic torments the living and exorcists fight against the supernatural and schisms. It is a land of lost wonders, secrets and peril.

The book includes the overview of this Maztican island, its peoples and nations; the rules of sacrificial magic; the Esmeraldian exorcist class; backgrounds and more to play in this island to the West of Maztica, in the Forgotten Realms. A domain of dread originally from Esmeralda is also described in the book.

New mechanics include the notion of Spiritual Hit Points, Attacks and Armor Class: some mystical beings cannot be hurt by spells or weapons, but only by the deeds and faith of pious souls.

The book is 65 pages long."

It is really a great book. It's a completely unique concept and setting that I don't think has ever been done before. So glad you're writing books for Maztica. Anything upcoming?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  04:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy. Wrote out perhaps my longest post ever on this forum, clicked submit and BOOM..."Server Failed." I don't know what it means technically, but it means the re-do is going to be a bit more sparse. Sorry that this will be basically bulleted points - trust me, I was more detailed when I started the last one an hour ago!

It's general gist concerned two things...

1. I was thinking about starting a fan magazine for Maztica. I would provide art (cover and interior) and anyone who would like to contribute most certainly would be welcome, whether its lore, spells, adventure hooks, monster, magic etc. I'd like to stick to 5e, though this will certainly not be for DMS Guild. I've basically memorized the boxed set I've read it so many times, so I could certainly help with both ideas and lore. This is just me throwing out feelers to see if anyone is interested.

2. For a combined 5-6 hours a week I have been working on a number of projects that are all in various states of completion. Very few are edited. In the first version of this post, I went through a two paragraph description for each. Perhaps just the titles will do this time? :-P

A. The Penguinfolk (a new race with extensive lore connecting them to the True World and lots of crunchy bits)

B. Monsters of the True World (A bestiary of mostly new creatures pulled from Mesoamerican myth, old editions and bursts of inspiration).

C. Zatal - The Mountain of Fire (A megadungeon set in the heart of Maztica, inspired by Undermountain. Collaboration with Dazzlerdal)

D. Blood Offering (An adventure. Based off the book Obsidian Butterfly by Anita Blake and the movie Dusk 'til Dawn)

E. The Curse of Zarzumotl (a desert/underdark adventure with an "old school feel". Collaboration with SJS from Dragonsfoot.)

I hope you enjoy these "previews." Please understand that they are barely edited at all (Curse is a bit of a mess with my notes all over it).

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 13 Apr 2016 04:58:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000