Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 FA 1 Halls of the High King in PDF
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  01:28:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/16823/FA1-Halls-of-the-High-King-2e?it=1

I loved this adventure. Maybe it's because I actually got to run it, instead of just reading it like I did so many other adventures, but I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the way it seemed to bridge the gap between the Moonshaes feeling like a separate setting and slowly integrating into the larger Realms, which seemed to be continuing the trend started at the end of the original Moonshaes Trilogy.

Unfortunately a lot of that integration was undone in the Druidhome Trilogy, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 16 Jul 2014 01:29:02

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2014 :  02:55:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved it for how it showed that an adventure could still provide great background lore and detail.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  21:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The web page features one of Shannon Appelcline's product histories, which evidently draw on unpublished interview material and are worth browsing if you're interested in how various Realms books came to be. In FA1 Ed gave us a lot of material on the church of Bane and various other subjects in an adventure set in Doug Niles's Moonshaes, making a good-faith effort to work it into this world.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2014 :  00:41:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, the PDF version of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting has recently had an update on DriveThruRPG/RPGNow. The new version has had all the OCR text cleaned up so that it's not only searchable, but copies/pastes much cleaner.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  00:13:32  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halls of the High King is one of the best adventures ever published for the Realms. An interesting fact given that the Moonshaes weren't originally part of the setting.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  15:17:37  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Halls of the High King is one of the best adventures ever published for the Realms. An interesting fact given that the Moonshaes weren't originally part of the setting.

Actually the Moonshaes are part of the Home Realms campaign - however Ed's Moonshaes were put aside to allow Doug Niles to shoe-horn his pseudo celtic/saxon/viking/Brittania into the Realms

And HotHK is the best single adventure/sourcebook produced for the Realms. You can run a whole campaign (or three) from the info Ed squeezed into that 64 page product, just amazing.

BTW Jeff Grubb and Ed on the Moonshaes - enjoy!
(paste http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ into the way back machine to get the excellent Yet Another Forgotten Realms Webpage up and running)

The Origin of the Moonshae Isles

[As told by Jeff Grubb on rec.games.frp.dnd]
Way back when Dragonlance was fresh and new and Forgotten Realms was just getting its start as a game product in design, there was going to be a "British Dragonlance" product from TSR. TSR UK was to produce the game material, and Doug Niles was to write the novel - the novel that became Darkwalker on Moonshae. They were supposed to work together.

Bad things happened, from a business side, and TSR UK stopped producing creative work (they let their designers go and reverted to merely selling TSR material from the states). The British DL never happened. Doug had a half-written book and no world to put it in.

At the same time, Ed and I were working on what would become the original "slate-grey" FR box. We had a world, but novels as yet. The appearance of Darkwalker made it possible to get an FR book out with the boxed set - in fact, to get the book out FIRST.

We looked at Doug's book and Ed's World. It was a good fit, both being rooted strongly in "traditional fantasy." Compromises were made. Doug took the name of extant island grouping in the Realms. Ed accepted the change of the appearance of the islands (they were an arching archipelgio as opposed to british-shaped chunk). The world was new and we had not published yet.

It WAS a good fit. Doug finished his tale in the Realms, the Realms itself launched with a strong book, and we established the Realms as a place of many visions - Doug, Bob, myself, Ed, and those who have followed.

[An addendum by Ed Greenwood]

The 'original' Moonshaes are akin to LeGuin's Earthsea: hundreds of little islands, long-extinct volcanic peaks that rise up out of the sea abruptly, are inhabited by fisherfolk (with a few larger islands that have forests, farms, etc.) nothing much above the rural village culture on most, with self-styled 'lords' on others...and like Earthsea, somewhat like the Celtic-era Hebrides...they occupy the same space as TSR's (Doug Niles's) Moonshaes, arcing from a 'wide spray' at the Sword Coast or eastward extent, curving and narrowing southwest and curving to south...in other words, a large area of 'perilous sea' with awash rocks, reefs, etc. and safe channels that only the locals know.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  21:35:35  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cauldyth is upon you!! Not read that module for years. But i remember that as one of his battle cries vivdly. Wierd how your memory works. Agreed this is a real gem of a module.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  15:17:40  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's also a great source of FR-sounding names.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000