Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Forgotten Realms 3rd Edition Campaign Setting PDF
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2014 :  02:24:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/28729/Forgotten-Realms-Campaign-Setting-3e?it=1

I've been wondering for a while if WOTC would be putting out the actual campaign setting products for campaigns that appear to be supported in 5th edition, and apparently they are willing to do so.

Now I'm just anxiously awaiting the PDF of the Old Grey Boxed Set.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2014 :  04:48:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, that explains it... I got an email this morn, from dndclassics.com, saying that the pdf had been updated. But when I followed their link, it didn't go anywhere.

I guess they posted it some time later in the day.

The new version of the pdf doesn't kill Adobe the way the old version did, either, which is nice.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  09:17:29  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is fully updated and redesigned for the new edition of the D&D game. To make full use of this book, you also need the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual."

I assume the description is just really old? they didn't update the 3e FRCS to the 5e rules, did they?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  15:17:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

"The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is fully updated and redesigned for the new edition of the D&D game. To make full use of this book, you also need the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual."

I assume the description is just really old? they didn't update the 3e FRCS to the 5e rules, did they?

That's the old description. They're just making the book available again -- updating them to the latest ruleset would be a huge undertaking, with little return. It would tweak off a lot of people who wanted to replace their copies of (or read for the first time) the older material, and it would be pointless to update old material when there is, one would assume, a new 5E campaign setting book in the works.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  19:44:48  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's what I thought, but I mean, Menzoberranzan City of Intrigue is set up to handle multiple eras, so when I saw the text it made me wonder if they were planning on having stuff from other eras updated to 5e.

How's the quality of the PDF? You say it doesn't kill Adobe now. Smaller filesize? what's the DPI Like? Are the pictures all blurry or blocky like bad jpegs? Is the OCR any good? I mised the digital copy the first time around. I have two hard copies, but I wouldnt mind having something searchable with stuff I can copy paste into a word document if its relevant to planning my game, and whatnot.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2014 :  14:10:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The quality is vastly improved. All the text is OCR and is fully searchable and copies well. The pics are excellent, not blurry or blocky at all.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  18:54:18  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great to hear. I remember in the original run of D&D PDFs they had up on DTRPG, some of them looked terrible, and some of the maps were very difficult to read.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  11:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

That's the old description. They're just making the book available again -- updating them to the latest ruleset would be a huge undertaking, with little return. It would tweak off a lot of people who wanted to replace their copies of (or read for the first time) the older material, and it would be pointless to update old material when there is, one would assume, a new 5E campaign setting book in the works.

LOL, could do with a better description, fooled me for a moment.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000