Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Has WOTC committed to fixing the Realms in 5E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  11:58:25  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghotr print run was tiny, and there was only one. No need to invest in a large print run until you know it will be successful.

PDF is a good choice.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  12:25:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if i were to get what i wanted and WoTC just pretend anything after 1372 DR didnt happen. I would still only buy newly published material in pdf format.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  13:21:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Almost anyone

I'd be willing to bet that some of my earlier opinions of 4th Edition would make the paint on the wall crack and blister. It took a long time, and some very patient people using calm arguments and reasoned opinion, to demonstrate the merits that some of 4th Edition possessed.

A lot of the credit goes to folks like Diffan, who (as I have said before) took the position of "Well, I can't change your opinion on A ('A' being the timejump, the single most ridiculous part of the entire 4th edition, in my opinion, and they'd be right, that opinion will never change), but here's what I did with B, which I think might fit your bill, plus, have you ever considered that C might be looked at in THIS manner?" (Explanation then followed.)

I don't imagine you'll change your mind simply because I said you should. But I'm going to give them (WotC) the chance to impress me - James Wyatt had much as said that 4th Edition had "gone off the rails" - I am very interested in seeing how they get the train back on the tracks.

- OMH

Thanks buddy! I do what I can

@Dark Wizard:

- As far as Canon goes, I'm perfectly fine leaving what I don't like in the dust and moving on to stuff I do like and adding that to my games. It's how I've handled ALL the changes since becoming interested in the Realms a while ago. Further, I have discussed my displeasure for the return of Egypt and Mexico only because I felt they didn't do the Returned Abier part enough justice and content. Had we received more information on it, about it, etc. then I wouldn't honestly care if they brought the older places back. The difference here, however, is that I'm still going to buy / purchase / and play with the post-Sundering Realms and continue to use the content they produce as OPTIONS I can include in my games even though I don't honestly like the current direction they're taking. Even if they were to do something like bring Lantan back to the surface, that's OK by me because it might get detailed more AND I can still use my idea (of it being an underwater adventuring place) AND incorporate their ideas too as I see fit.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  02:45:36  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan, don't get me wrong. With all my pointing out things I don't like about the 4E changes, I don't run the Realms as presented in the books, not now, not in the pre-4E eras, and I'm not entirely adverse to some of the 4E Realms ideas.

Then why all the effort to rile against WotC's decisions?

I think there's something to be said for consistency and continuity for a setting presented and sold as a living setting experience.

Now we're getting some pull back (possibly, the jury's still out) and I do think it's unfair to people who developed a liking for the new material. As unfair as getting rid of those earlier areas and aspects. It's this wishy washy meandering that made WotC blink in the staring contest that is the games industry. It's unfortunate for Wizards and us fans that we have to at all sit through this mess while it is being sorted through.

Of course, all this hubbub also means I can no longer be the same sort of positively supportive fan I was before, where books were bought sight unseen. I can't stand behind a product that the company that produces it will not stand behind. One where they sought to erase and minimize aspects and areas I liked, then bring them back again while annoying a number of new fans they might have gained.

This reeks of the worst of audience-chasing and all the stereotypes about design-by-committee. Earlier someone said they buy FR books for ideas. Ideas are cheap, everyone has awesome ideas, but it comes amongst a throng of garbage ideas. It's the execution that's difficult. I look for vision (and voice) in gaming books I buy, something presented with some semblance of a whole rather than a scatter-shot of cool ideas. I feel the Realms had it before, I felt they lost it, we'll find out if its regained it.
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  22:50:52  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pretty much agree with all of Dark Wizard's points in his last post.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000