Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The herald and the the ssrinshee
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2014 :  00:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly the way ssrinshee sliced countless foes in battle was just too awesome to describe. xxx

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2014 :  02:54:16  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still....she is like a uber-highmage.....why didn't she use a single high magic spell?

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2014 :  18:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO explained that.
BB
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  22:35:07  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

First - I've not yet read the herald, but will so no comments on its content. My response is for the sadly ignorant few who seem to think that their opinion of what the realms is and should be is more valid that the Realms' creator and primary driving force. As for the great "canon" debate - sorry to break it to you, but Ed's word is final here. Whine about his choices all you want but he wins by default.

And I'm sorry but "Writing novels is not something he does well" - come on are you serious? Ed's writing is the entire reason anyone here, be it old goats who've been reading it since the 80s or newcomers like yourself, is a fan of the Realms. He wrote it - its characters, its cities, its monsters, its gods, its food, its money, its magic. Others have helped in that effort and some even in very major ways, but if you don't like Ed's writing then you're in the wrong place I'd say.

sorry but ed's novels are terrible for a lot of us.its a bit like George Lucas with star wars.yes he invented the universe and were all grateful but tell me for one minute you'd want to see another trilogy with him in charge.give ed input but dear god stop him writing.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  22:54:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's a bit harsh. Multiple publishers keep asking him to write books, so your opinion is far from universal.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2014 :  07:14:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, my two favorite authors overall have been Elaine and Ed. I hope they both keep writing until these old eyes dry up :P
Go to Top of Page

Neconilis
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  23:39:44  Show Profile Send Neconilis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How has no one quoted this? This parody is absolutely hilarious; it is also, unfortunately, far too accurate.

As someone else has already mentioned, Ed is a fantastic creator of worlds with deep history, rich characters, and intriguing themes; however, (most of) his novels leave much to be desired for a number of different reasons, not the least of which being their base character interactions and all too questionable treatment of iconic figures.

For example, I loved it when Larloch showed up, the (arguably) most powerful non-divine caster still existing who had always avoided divinity, but now with the mantle of magic open once more he was ready to put into motion a magnificent plan beyond mortal understanding to become the master of the Weave?

...not really, his plan wasn't so involved and it was shot down in mere moments by Elminster (whose arrogance allowed the plan to begin without any real difficulty in the first place) riding a wave of power from the freshly martyred Srinshee. Oh, Shade/Netheril got obliterated in the spillover too.

Yeah...

I know expectations were sky-high for this book, and I understand the real-world limitations as well; still, things could have concluded far more logically and productively.

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Illance

Yeah, the way in which Greenwood presents the characters in "The Herald" is staggeringly bad. One of the most cringe worthy examples goes like this.

El: "Alusrtiel and Laeral, what are you guys doing here in the basement of Candlekeep?"

2/7: "We are looking for secret books to destroy Candlekeep."

El: "Er... what?"

2/7: "Yeah, we think that Blackshaft wanted us to do that so an evil shadowy figure can't use the Weave-Force locked in the 'Keeps Wards to destroy the World, so we're destroying the 'Keep first"

El: "Sha-Hoodoo-Boom-Boom-Cacoon Spell!" (El enspells the girls)

2/7: "Spell of Drop a Ceiling on Elminster.... Haaaa!" (2/7 drops a ceiling on El)

(Elminster is teleported to safety by Larloch)

Larloch: "Hey bro, I'm trying to save the world. Wanna team-up?"

El: "Yeah bro, sounds good."

Larloch: "Cool. You channel the Weave-Force to me, then I'll put the Weave-Force back in the Weave... Promise."

Elminster (always playing the long game): "Cool, sounds good."

(El and Larloch teleport back to the 'Keep, El channels the Weave-Force to Larloch.)

Larloch: Fooled you, noob! I'm taking this Weave-Force and I'm going to be a Godd! W00t! (Teleports away.)

2/7: El, you just gave Larloch the Weave-force we have been trying to destroy by hiding in a basement for 100 years! Now he has half the Macguffin he needs to destroy the World.

El: Oops! Well, I'm stubborn and pulled a boner, sorry!

2/7: Classic Elminster!

El and 2/7: Ha ha ha lol lol ha! (Everyone laughs)

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  05:24:27  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read it now. I don't see where you problems come from. The only issue I had was the easy death of one of the sisters - which I'm guessing will not last long, given trends. Even if it does, in my realms all 7 will be back - and Khelben too - and Halaster. Hell - bring back everyone who ever "died" 1365-14whatever :P. Even better, lets give Sylune a body and let the witch do her thing again too.

I do have one question and I'm wondering if anyone else asked themselves this as well... WHICH Mystra do we have back? Perhaps the Mystra lingering in the Weave was #1 and she is now "whole" again. That would be a great story arc and we could be rid of whiny mortal goody two-shoes Midnight/Mystra.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  08:09:26  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I've read it now. I don't see where you problems come from. The only issue I had was the easy death of one of the sisters - which I'm guessing will not last long, given trends. Even if it does, in my realms all 7 will be back - and Khelben too - and Halaster. Hell - bring back everyone who ever "died" 1365-14whatever :P. Even better, lets give Sylune a body and let the witch do her thing again too.

I do have one question and I'm wondering if anyone else asked themselves this as well... WHICH Mystra do we have back? Perhaps the Mystra lingering in the Weave was #1 and she is now "whole" again. That would be a great story arc and we could be rid of whiny mortal goody two-shoes Midnight/Mystra.

I had thought that Mystra #1 was so dispersed that even Ao couldn't bring her back. Or so was stated at the end of ToT
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  13:04:47  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But perhaps all that has happened in the interim has allowed her to gather bits and pieces enough to get the chosen making her whole again... widely dispersed kinda sounds like the Mystra from Ed's recent novels right? Barely holding herself and the remnants of the Weave together.

Makes enough sense to me to consider :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000