Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 D&D Starter Set: Lost Mine of Phandelver
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  14:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here we learn that the 64-page introductory campaign adventure in next month's Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set, based structurally on B10 Night's Dark Terror, will be by Rich Baker and set in Faerūn's Sword Coast North:
quote:
The first segment of the adventure puts DMs through the basics of asking for checks and saving throws, as the characters venture into a goblin lair on a rescue mission. Once the adventurers have dealt with the goblins, they have free reign to explore the region around the village of Phandalin. Three more dungeons and five other adventure locations provide novice DMs with plenty of material to keep a campaign going for months.
This is fine news indeed for existing and potential new Realms lovers: till now there have been oddly few beginning Realms scenarios of any sort, let alone ones by proven authors in boxed sets designed to introduce new players to D&D.

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  19:51:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a sucker for boxed sets.

They fit in a mismatched way on my book shelf--like game boxes, come to think of it-- which drives me nuts, but the all in one box approach is something I go for.

I like the price point for this set too.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  19:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really looking forward to this set. I was somewhat skeptical as to whether it'd be worth it to get it or just wait for the PHB, but I'm glad I preordered now.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  20:01:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*mutters* B10 is also from the Known World. *sighs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2014 :  14:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the partly redacted contents page and the overland map for 'Lost Mine of Phandelver'. The map is a version of Mike Schley's in the 4E Neverwinter Campaign Setting, which closely follows the original published geography.

Kentinal, of what dost thou grumble?

Edited by - Faraer on 17 Jun 2014 15:24:34
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2014 :  15:47:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faraer Oh it just appears WotC is recycling old products B2 and B10 were both Modules of Basic D&D set in a different sphere. It like hearing about a classic movie remake where the actors are changed, the year changed but the same story. Often they are not and better and sometimes worst.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2014 :  18:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they're recycling them. They just took B10 as an inspiration for a low-level campaign module, with an overland map and adventure locations. B2 and X1 were used as ready-to-hand playtest adventures, with fifth-edition stats but not moved to the Realms or anything -- I think Markus got the wrong end of the stick about that.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2014 :  02:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I don't think they're recycling them. They just took B10 as an inspiration for a low-level campaign module, with an overland map and adventure locations. B2 and X1 were used as ready-to-hand playtest adventures, with fifth-edition stats but not moved to the Realms or anything -- I think Markus got the wrong end of the stick about that.

Agreed. There is a lot of "inspired by" statements, not "this is a remake" statements surrounding this adventure. If they wanted to remake it, all they'd have to do is update the stats, pop in a few sidebars stolen from the 5E DMG to add the optional rules to give it the feel of the era the original module came from.
I just realized it's in a box. I was thinking it's just going to be shrinkwrapped like Murder in Baldur's Gate was. My cats are going to go nuts.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2014 :  08:09:53  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Faraer Oh it just appears WotC is recycling old products B2 and B10 were both Modules of Basic D&D set in a different sphere. It like hearing about a classic movie remake where the actors are changed, the year changed but the same story. Often they are not and better and sometimes worst.

Rich Baker is the author. It's not going to be regurgitated crap. I suspect you will find it more of a homage.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2014 :  16:27:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kentinal, be at ease!
Ed has seen this, and says it's NOT an updating or remake of any older adventure (what would be the point, when those older adventures are so widely available to gamers, albeit in e-format?).
Rather, it's a starter-level adventure that walks a novice DM and players through the nitty-gritty of running a D&D game. Ed said that Phandelver itself is beautifully handled in very little wordcount, and could be used outside the adventure, as could some of the dungeon elements (Ed wouldn't specify, but I'm guessing such things as pit traps).
Ed's comment was "a veteran gamer will find themselves looking at a basic adventure, so some things are predictable - - but it's a darned GOOD basic adventure."
So, jaded old grognard that I am, I'll be buying it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  01:32:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bought mine today. I like it. The entire adventure, with all its hooks and side quests or mini-adventures looks like a great way to kick-start a new campaign. A DM will be able to have alot of fun with this.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  02:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a skim, it looks like a very good adventure, useable in different eras and (with some work) places. Its main flaws as a Realms scenario for experienced DMs are largely a function of its being for beginners: the setting is static and rather than rumours and PC initiative it relies on otherwise passive CRPGlike quest-giving (even, daftly, using the word 'quest') NPCs, and it makes joining power groups implausibly easy, perhaps for the sake of organized play. It could do with a judicious sprinkling of extra Realmslore, for instance the original Phalorm name of Cragmaw Castle, which would make an easy emotional hook for PCs. But this isn't hard to remedy, and more importantly Lost Mine is going to give a lot of people a positive experience of the Realms and D&D.

Edited by - Faraer on 25 Jul 2014 02:14:37
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  03:00:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that Cragmaw Keep is outside the core Phalorm boundaries, it would perhaps have been better linked with Uthtower. Now THAT would have impressed me.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  10:20:07  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point, George.

Unless, of course, Cragmaw Keep is actually the site of a mausoleum containing the Bloodbone Throne of Uruth Ukrypt as the only viable way of burying the skulls of the six fallen princes of Phalorm used in the throne's creation....

Half-assed, I know, but I was trying to justify the presence of Many Arrows orcs at Wyvern Tor and explain the reason for a castle raised by Phalorm outside of Phalorm's boundaries. Feel free to explain where I went wrong... please. :)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2014 :  10:56:59  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't played anything in some time, but I so enjoy these sets! Makes everything easier and it's so much fun seeing what was done with it.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000