Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon 2014-Candlekeep Presents:Lords of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  03:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

GT - The lanyard sounds awesome, count me (and the wife) in - we will go contribute later tonight!

Again, was there a plan for after the fun? I do recall raising the 'pick up game' concept. Do we have takers for that?

Thank you in advance for your support!

I will be working this week to determine whether or not we can get the room held for us for the time immediately following the seminar. That will decide some questions we've yet to settle internally (and which may affect pick-up games, private discussions, folks heading for drinks, etc.).

Go to Top of Page

Thorn Illance
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  03:46:33  Show Profile Send Thorn Illance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This years meet-up will be a lot of fun. I'm hoping to meet THO!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  03:48:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Any further word in a Candlekeep pre-get together drinks thingy?

-- George Krashos

You're setting aside an imaginary drink for me to... right?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  03:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Any further word in a Candlekeep pre-get together drinks thingy?

-- George Krashos

George, we've got to figure out some time to sit down for a full meal, not just drinks. Sarah's only coming to GC for Friday evening-Sunday morning, so we'll have to find time therein.

And I'd say flasks might be a handy thing to bring along to the Lords seminar.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  17:29:38  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sighs* I know we have castles, and fairies, and all sorts of magical things, but this is one time when it sucks living in Ireland.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Edited by - Shadowsoul on 17 Jul 2014 17:30:48
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2014 :  08:07:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel Shadowsoul. This will be my second GEN-CON and I can't believe that my last one was 7 years ago. Wow.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 18 Jul 2014 08:08:10
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2014 :  11:22:41  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish the people going would keep their excitement posts to PMs because it makes me jealous.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2014 :  00:25:31  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want all the details, excitement, announcements, minute transcripts. I want to live vicariously if not attend myself.

Last year I followed someone with Google Glass going to GenCon. In a limited way, I got to see "first hand" what it was like and it only has me wanting to go even more.
Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2014 :  00:10:11  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Team,

there was discussion of a dinner on Thursday night for Candlekeepgoers. Maybe these two ideas can be combined? Check it out here...
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19015

"Say nice doggie, but keep looking for a rock..."
~Chiun
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  03:12:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Scribes

We are only $40 away from our target of $900.00 to get those super special lanyards for the event. If you are one of the 100 or so people who have signed up for the seminar and are feeling generous ...

Oh, and if you aren't going to GEN-CON and make a donation anyway to get us to the target, drop me a PM and I'll send you through my little gift to those attending.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  18:50:31  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wish I could attend GenCon this year. :-( The only time I went was with my friends from college in our Freshman year ... and it was sooooo much fun to meet Ed and all the members of the WotC FR Design Team! So I hope all of you enjoy! The sheer thought of clinking a toast with a whole gaggle of renowned CK scribes and talking tawdry and sordid gossip about Daggerdale, Hlammach, Iriaebor and Samargol ... really widens my eyes! :-D

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  19:42:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If only I didn't have two kids and only one wage to feed them with, I would donate £40 immediately even though I have no way of going.

Unfortunately if I give away £40 then we don't eat for a week.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  19:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

If only I didn't have two kids and only one wage to feed them with, I would donate £40 immediately even though I have no way of going.

Unfortunately if I give away £40 then we don't eat for a week.
Thank you for your generosity of spirit, dazzlerdal!

For the record, we don't want to pressure anyone or make them feel guilty. Some folks are able to spend extra on this sort of thing. Others cannot afford to come at all, or can barely scrape together the money to come to Gen Con. We appreciate every contribution, but also every wish that someone could give to the effort.

Also, we are at $890 now. Given that some of the contributions were larger than expected, I consider the lanyards funded. We'll have them for the show. Any additional funds will go towards last-minute surprises or towards next year's efforts.

Now all we need to do is get people to show up.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  20:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Promise them the display of Impiltran belly dancing by George Krashos and Ed Greenwood and people will flock to the event!

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  04:37:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Promise them the display of Impiltran belly dancing by George Krashos and Ed Greenwood and people will flock to the event!

You'll all have camera phones, right?

We demand pictures. And video too!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  04:59:01  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

I just don't think it'd be the same without you doing it as well Steven!

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  09:16:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'd rather be ritually sacrificed to Orcus. Ed on the other hand might be a fan of the idea ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  13:58:55  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinkin' maybe I'll drive down... Haven't done a GenCon since they moved em from Milwaukee...
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  14:22:17  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is going to be my first GenCon, and it truly is shaping up to the GenCon: The Forgotten Realms Edition for me. I am not complaining though. I am greatly looking forward to it all. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  18:23:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GenCon isn't happening for me, this year... I wish it was.

But myself and a friend are making plans for next year! I've done the preliminary number crunching, and -- perhaps most importantly -- gotten permission from the wife.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

savedbygrace
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  00:24:43  Show Profile Send savedbygrace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen the badge pricing and find it to be high for those who have no idea what goes on there. The gencon site doesn't really elaborate on details. Other than being able to check out products at booths (which can be done online) what else makes that badge worth the money? Are seminars free? Do you have to schedule things or can you simply walk into a seminar that catches your attention? Is anything within the event free? Or do you just pay to be in the same area as authors and product pushers?

Apologies my friends, not intending to sound negative. Just curious.

Be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  00:55:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you asking about GEN-CON as a whole or the Candlekeep Seminar? If the former, then you need a "badge" for entry, which costs money. Stuff inside the main hall is free in the sense that there are tons of exhibitions and free demos going on. Other events - such as True Dungeon - cost money. But yes, in a nutshell you do pay to "be in the same area as authors and product pushers". Spending time with Ed is very much worth the price of admission IMHO however. YMMV.

As for the Candlekeep Seminar, in relation to the badge, it will be a unique pin that can only be obtained by attending. It is "free" for all who attend, but the organisers have asked for donations to pay for the pins and some Candlekeep lanyards. As stated explicitly, people can donate or not as their means allow.

The Seminar is free but as there are always "walk-ins", if you have registered for the event, then you have a guaranteed seat. I've never been to a Candlekeep Seminar so can't comment on the format. I'll be the guy with the funny accent sitting in the cheap seats with a big Fed-Ex box next to him. Come long to the seminar to find out what's in the box.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 02 Aug 2014 00:56:27
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  01:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by savedbygrace

I've seen the badge pricing and find it to be high for those who have no idea what goes on there. The gencon site doesn't really elaborate on details. Other than being able to check out products at booths (which can be done online) what else makes that badge worth the money? Are seminars free? Do you have to schedule things or can you simply walk into a seminar that catches your attention? Is anything within the event free? Or do you just pay to be in the same area as authors and product pushers?

Apologies my friends, not intending to sound negative. Just curious.

A badge gets you entrance to the show, which includes access to the exhibit hall (where you can usually demo or sample games), the program book, the giveaway bag (which used to include a lot of free giveaways, but these days is mostly flyers and a coupon book that will allow you to get discounts or free goodies at certain exhibitor booths, and the ability to sign up for events.

All seminars are, by definition, supposed to be free. However, all events--including seminars--are ticketed, so if it fills up, you can't get in without a ticket. Paid events will allow the use of generic tickets, which allow you to pay for an event you didn't originally sign up for in $2 increments.

There are lots of games at GenCon. Some are paid events. Others are free, or pick up games in free play areas, public hotel spaces, or even in rooms or restaurants (the last of which I really don't recommend, unless you're in an empty establishment, or paying a whole lot of money).

A person could, theoretically, go through the entire 4 days without paying for any events, just by attending seminars or playing in pick-up games. I know I've done it!
Go to Top of Page

savedbygrace
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  03:09:01  Show Profile Send savedbygrace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help guys. Sounds like a lot of fun if you're with some friends but not so much if you're alone and shy. Maybe some day I'll drag my brothers up the road to it. Til then, I'll just smile at the enthusiasm(and envy) dripping from these pages. Have fun!

Be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000