Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms: Alternate Dimensions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2018 :  10:37:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well after using wordpress for 6 months now I'm noticing that I spend more time editing pages and the site for organisation purposes than I do content.

I think it's time to move to a different site, one more suited to wiki purposes. Anyone have any suggestions.

I use confluence at work and the organisation part is very easy, allowing more time for content. The only problem is that confluence is chargeable. Anyone used anything for a wiki that is super easy to setup and use, allowing me to focus on the world Building rather than site maintenance.

Still haven't managed to get out of the Old Empires region, but maybe in 2019 I can get back to the moonshaes

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2018 :  12:40:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just had a few thoughts regarding George's latest article on the zulkirate of thay and the powerful weave anchor that was created in the thaymount.

Originally I had just thought that the nether scrolls were the only weave anchors but it makes sense for more to be created over the years and of course I am having their creators be people rather than gods

The Karse Stone seems like a good candidate for one. The annasherion that I think lies beneath ravens bluff is another.

Creating a weave anchor allows you to extend the weave into new areas, but having control over it also allows you a measure of control over those using the weave in that area. When people are cut off from the weave, it is not done by a god, but by the church of Mystra who control most of these Weave Anchors.

Then I thought about making other weaves. The shadow weave was a great idea but a poor implementation. What if you can create a weave as long as you have a powerful anchor for it. The area of effect would be much reduced and likely ignored by most as being a bit pants, but if you had enough weave anchors you have a rival to the weave.

So if shars cult managed to corrupt a few anchors to also be weave anchors you have the beginning of a rival weave. If it gets powerful enough the new weave can be used to cast spells that the normal weave has restricted.
The Weaves are not connected, they both are fuelled by raw magic which is converted into a safer form by the weave anchor. The same anchor can work for different weaves providing it is enchanted to do so.
Now we have a good reason why the karse stone is important. If you have direct physical access to it you can control both weave and shadow weave within a certain area.

Just some thoughts I shall refine later.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2019 :  11:51:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've been working on Mulhorand and Unther for over a year now. Time for a change I think, and back to the Moonshaes I think. I will start with a minor island like Moray and then maybe Norland and build up from there.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2019 :  08:32:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been randomly looking at the wordpress stats and thought I would share some insights for those wanting to do their own homebrew site.

First is that a third of all visits stop at the front page which I guess means it's very important to have an interesting front page and mine is not very interesting it would seem.

Second is that regions are the most popular with a third of all visits going to regional pages. I guess people like the bigger picture more than the lower level detail. Mulhorand is the most popular out of old empires and the moonshae. Gwyneth is the most popular moonshae island.

Next most popular pages in order are NPC lists, races, portals, gods. The most obscure gods seen the more popular (anubis has twice as many visits as anhur).

I guess the message is to get an awesome front page and focus on regional guides as that gets the most visits

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2019 :  16:30:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So does anybody fancy doing some world building of their own but doesnt think they want to go it alone.

Basically I'm putting out a plea to see if anyone wants to work together on something for the realms. I'm getting old and a bit fed up of doing everything alone.

I've got a ready made wordpress site to put it on (I'm pretty sure I can give edit access to other people). I've also got a few regions already developed to various degrees if you don't want to work from scratch (unther, mulhorand, raurin, chessenta, moonshae isles, chult).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2019 :  16:39:03  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want. But I don't know if you may be interested, because I want to work on stuff on Tymanther, and I know how people usually reacts to 4e stuff. I haven't do it on my own cuz my English is not that good.

If you still want to help me, then hell I have a lot of stuff to be translated to English.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 21 Dec 2019 16:40:31
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2019 :  16:56:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why the hell not. I've got lots of unther stuff developed that could provide ruins and things.

I like to stick to canon, but not slavishly so, and I'm all for developing hooks and hints in great detail.

It might be fun to branch out once in a while. PM me your email and we can get started. I shall set my realms archive search engine to tymanther and collect every quote I can find.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

King Libertine
Seeker

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  00:08:55  Show Profile Send King Libertine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed this. very cool. The links are great reads. thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  07:10:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you enjoyed them. I had so much fun twisting canon lore into something different without really changing the overall content of the realms that I dedicated a website to changing the whole setting without changing anything, while at the same time collecting and expanding large areas of faerun.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  22:16:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Random yay, but I just passed 10000 visits on my wordpress site. I realise that's a small number but my record last year was just short of 8000 and I've already gone way past that with 4 months left to go.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  18:50:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Dallison,

I just had to put out there: I really like your Alternate Dimensions works. Very nice. I use them here and there! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2021 :  11:03:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, end of 2020 i had 17800 users, with the Isle of Alaron by far the most popular page (1100 visits).

Gonna try out a new hobby this year though, making computer games using Godot.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

henry
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2021 :  07:31:30  Show Profile  Visit henry's Homepage Send henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone here shares so many great ideas!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2021 :  09:58:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you like it, this is the place to share ideas, no matter how small or new to the hobby you are. Most of us are long term enthusiasts and have learned to get along with just just about anyone, regardless of their pet hates or foibles.

So take whatever you like from here, share your own ideas, there will be plenty of people around to help develop it with little contributions, and hopefully it will makes your games or experience of the realms even better.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2021 :  09:18:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nearing the end of another year. I topped 20000 visits this year to the alternaterealmsblog and even got 2 likes.

Still putting out a plea (not desperate yet) for anyone with a shared passion for the realms and world building and wanting to collaborate on putting an alternative spin on things, if so then get in touch (it would be nice to share a passion occasionally before I give up). I've got Moonshaes, Mulhorand, Unther, Damara, Vaasa, Chult, and the Dragon Reach on the go but am happy to look into anywhere except for the Sword Coast and Impiltur as they belong to Eric and George.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2021 :  02:58:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe. Impiltur doesn’t belong to me. And fanlore is fanlore. I often wonder if it will feature in a DMs Guild product before I get around to writing up my version. Current ETA: 2030. Whereupon my writing days will be done.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2021 :  06:35:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont think any true realms fan would or should touch your sandbox purely out of respect.

You could always outsource the project (I of course immediately volunteer).

With access to your brain and archive on impiltur I could write bits of it up and you can yay or nay it. Within a year or two I'm sure I could finish it (although I'm no map maker or artist).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2021 :  14:25:12  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to help out some, I find your material quite inspirational.

I like especially the material you've written on the Mulhorandi/Untheric deities, and lately I've had some thoughts about them, and maybe might help spark some imagination.

Since the Mulhorandi/Unther deities have been around for at least 3000 years, one thing I find would make more sense is if their culture and identities would evolve and develop a bit distinctly within the world of Faerun, rather than being wholeheartedly true to the RW concept. Similar to how some RW Faerunian gods like Tyr, Ilmater, Loviatar, etc, have certain or significant conceptual divergences with their RW counterpart. The Mulani have also been isolated from their RW cousins by at least 5000 years as well, and ruled by the Imaskari for ca. 2000 years, so there would be all the more reason for them to develop differently and also be heavily influenced by their despised ex-slave masters.

The Untheric pantheon in the current timeline is for the most part is dead, and a few of the Mulhorandi deities have taken to assuming their deities. Thus I would imagine personally that the Mulhorandi really should be rendered as the Mulani Pantheon, since many Untherites are effectively worshipping Mulhorandi gods by worshipping Ishtar (Isis) and Ramman/Rumatep (Anhur). Perhaps the only difference could be that Untherites believe that Gilgeam is at the head of the Mulani pantheon and Horus-Re is subservient to him, and the other way around in Mulhorand.

Also I got to say I think it's interesting that the Mulhorandi deities have unique aspects in Thay (according to Powers & Pantheons), when if you read about Thay in any other book there is virtually no indication that any of the Mulhorandi gods are worshipped there at all. Given that Thay has a less than warm relationship and history with it's southern neighbour and it's clerical class, which it rebelled from, it doesn't seem likely at all that the Mulhorandi gods would be worshipped there. Still, many of these Thayan aliases have a nice Realmsian feel to them, like Helcaliant/Horus-Re, Isharia/Isis, Nesharia/Nephthys, Hatharia/Hathor, Tholaunt/Thoth. As an idea, perhaps these Thayan names could be used as a more modern rendering of the Mulhorandi deities' names in the current timeline? The RW world names could be the original ancient versions of them, known mostly by the clerical class.

I did have an idea of Hokatus being like an aspect of Horus-Re (taking inspiration from the Untheric rendering of his name, which I quite like), a fusion of the Mulhorandi and Untheric concept of the god that could be birthed from a cult that believes he is not just a god of Unther or Mulhorand, but of all Mulani people. His followers could form a cult in the nations of the Old Empires that perhaps fruitlessly want to unite all the realms into one, and usher a new golden era for the Mulani people. They could be part of the faction of the Mulhorandi that advocate for the invasion of Unther, as well as part of the rebels in Unther that want to abolish the cruel rule of Gilgeam.

Also some attempts of giving Chessentans their own aliases of certain Mulhorandi deities (since I found it they didn't seem to have any). Ramathos for Anhur (basically drawn from the Untheric Ramman and Mulhorandi Anhur) and Hokates for Horus-Re (Horus-Re+Hokatep). Maybe, as the Greeks, they don't depict Mulhorandi gods with beast-like heads.

Edited by - deserk on 28 Nov 2021 14:31:05
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2021 :  07:07:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, I'll send a message and we can discuss.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page