Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Recommend books with char. dev., drama, and edge.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lorfar
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  01:10:04  Show Profile Send Lorfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am trying to branch off of the legend of Drizzt, but the first books I read outside of legend of Drizzt were THE LOST LIBRARY OF CORMANTHYR, and ELMINSTER MAKING OF A MAGE. These books are well written but I don't seem to enjoy them as much as Harry Potter, Legend of the Seeker books, and Legend of Drizzt.

Could someone recommend me a few books set in the Forgotten Realms that are page turners? I got the recommendation for Elminster and Lost Library of Cormanthyr from the sticky 'Where should a new reader begin'

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  01:34:42  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Harry Potter doesn't fit into the same sentence as Sword of Truth...

I'd try Evans Brimstone Angel followed by The Adversary (Sundering 3), I devoured those.

Paul S. Kemp. wrote a great series starting with Sembia 2, followed by the Erevis Cale Trilogy, followed by the Twilight War Trilogy followed by The Godborn (Sundering 3)

I really liked the Avatar series, though I think most don't look favourably upon them.

The Cleric Quintet is an awesome series of R. A. Salvatore you might not have read so far. Cadderly Ivan and Pikel originate from those.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection

Edited by - Crystyn on 21 Apr 2014 01:51:20
Go to Top of Page

Lorfar
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  01:49:40  Show Profile Send Lorfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

Harry Potter doesn't fit into the same sentence as Sword of Truth...

I'd try Evans Brimstone Angel followed by The Adversary (Sundering 3), I devoured those.

Paul S. Kemp. wrote a great series starting with Sembia 2, followed by the Erevis Cale trilogy, followed by the Twilight War Trilogy followed by The Godborn (Sundering 3)

I really liked the Avatar series, though I think most don't look favourably upon them.

The Clerics Quintet is an awesome series of R. A. Salvatore you might not have read so far. Cadderly Ivan and Pikel originate from those.

I am interested in that series by Paul S. Kemp. So what you are saying is Sembia 2 is the first book in the series and they all connect somehow? Interesting I will research it a bit but why would the first book in the series have a 2 in it?
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  01:54:19  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lorfar

I am interested in that series by Paul S. Kemp. So what you are saying is Sembia 2 is the first book in the series and they all connect somehow? Interesting I will research it a bit but why would the first book in the series have a 2 in it?

Sembia is a series of books by different authors resolving about the city of Sembia, especially it's leading family.

I guess Erevis was so popular they asked Kemp to continue his story.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection
Go to Top of Page

Lorfar
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  01:57:27  Show Profile Send Lorfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

quote:

Sembia is a series of books by different authors resolving about the city of Sembia, especially it's leading family.

I guess Erevis was so popular they asked Kemp to continue his story.

Thanks, I will definitely try and read this series.

Does anyone know if there are any more books about Baylee Arnvold, or any of the other characters from the Lost Library of Cormanthyr? I am just kind of curious.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  04:01:34  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you liked legend of Drizzt, Check out the War of the Spider Queen series as it is inter-related.

I would also read:

-Song and Swords by Elaine Cunningham
-Cale Series as previously outlined
-Richard Lee Byers Books in following order: Year of Rogue Dragons, The Haunted Lands Trilogy, The Brotherhood of the Griffon.
-Blades of the Moonsea by Richard Baker
-Finders Stone Trilogy by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb

There are lots more that I would recommend, but that is a start.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  10:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second Song and Swords series and would add Evermeet to the list.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  15:46:01  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll give another shout to Elaine Cunningham's Songs and Swords and would also recommend Starlight and Shadows by her as well.
Go to Top of Page

MagniThorson
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  03:24:12  Show Profile Send MagniThorson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should try the Erevis Cale trilogy or Songs and Swords series. The main characters receive great character development and have small intimate character moments along the way.

Both series have edge and their share of story tension.

Edited by - MagniThorson on 24 Apr 2014 03:25:54
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  03:48:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finder's Stone Trilogy
Prince of Lies & Crucible
The Shadow Stone

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  14:19:23  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try out the Erevis Cale trilogy followed by the Twilight war trilogy by Paul Kemp.
Also Richard Lee Byres Haunted Lands trilogy is great.
If you want something a little different from the usual fantasy stuff I would suggest the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  03:33:30  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finder's Stone trilogy for sure. By far my favorite Realms books are Azure Bonds and The Wyvern's Spur. Great plots and characters and set back in the Grey Box era of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  16:33:29  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone know if there are any more books about Baylee Arnvold, or any of the other characters from the Lost Library of Cormanthyr? I am just kind of curious.

-There are not.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  16:32:54  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm sure you've found this out by now, but just to be clear: the book's name is Shadow's Witness. It's #2 in the Sembia series. Erevis also has a short story in #1 in the Sembia series, Halls of Stormweather.

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000