Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mystara is mad at Lolth ...what does that entail
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  04:58:28  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So demonweb, tried to create magic, failed. Mystara is back and mad; usually the two arn't really enemies anymore then any other usual god. What do you think this will entail in the future, a Greenwood and Salvataore team up, Elm + Drizzit putting the smack down on Lloth ?

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  06:07:55  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be happy to see a Greenwood/Salvatore collaboration, but they have different styles and I'm not sure putting them together will have better results than both of them writing separately. Also, I suspect we've already seen some results of them sharing thoughts; it doesn't need to have both their names on the cover.

As to your Elminster + Drizzt suggestion, I can only assume/hope you're trolling.

I don't have any ideas for a Mystra/Lolth catfight yet. I think it's overblown since Shar is the bigger and more logical opponent, but 4e changed pretty much everything there was to change so I dunno. Hopefully the Sundering storyline provides adequate closure to the 4e storylines and the 5e campaign setting lays a foundation for the next iteration.

Since they've created a conflict between Mystra and Lolth, I'm guessing that this issue will be answered in the campaign setting.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  09:04:45  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What it have to do with Mystara?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  10:09:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasn't this already been resolved in the Rise of the Underdark? Specifically, with Mystra showing up, aiding adventurers in defeating Lolth (or her avatar, or w/e it was) and collapsing the demon weave?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  17:58:59  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say it prevented it, but I would not say it resolved it. It is sort of out of left field for someone who is , I don't know. I woulnd't call Lloth a minor player in the wider scheme of things but just sort of out of her domain, unless you consider "spiders" enough reason to have a net, web, or weave of magic under her control.

It is a bit of a logic leap of the weave = spider web, but it still was a serious power play, by someone who normally would not be in that realm of competition, and treats arcane casters like shit anyways.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  20:12:21  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In other words: a scenario based on a single stupid pun, rather that history of the setting.
Go on, folk, continue to say Hasbro with its Verminman tradition doesn't matter and/or marketing droids aren't the ones who make decision.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  06:56:34  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

In other words: a scenario based on a single stupid pun, rather that history of the setting.

-Well, while 'Lolth' and 'magic' don't necessarily go hand-in-hand, I wouldn't necessarily say that its out of character, or not in line with the history of the world. Lolth is evil, conniving, scheming, power-hungry, and plenty of other terms in that vein. Mystra is or was out of action, and a fairly large hole opened up (sovereignty over magic and/or magicians, in whole or in part). It would be more out of character for there not to have been some kind of scramble to fill in the void. I would assume that Lolth was one of many who tried, and apparently the only one whose attempts were recorded.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 20 Apr 2014 06:57:14
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  15:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is likely that human and demihuman pantheons do not interact with each other as closely as amongst each other. Of course, there will be enmity, since attempt of usurping domain is usually serious offense.

But, if it is returned Midnight, she may act differently than usual gods.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  19:14:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

-Well, while 'Lolth' and 'magic' don't necessarily go hand-in-hand, I wouldn't necessarily say that its out of character, or not in line with the history of the world. Lolth is evil, conniving, scheming, power-hungry, and plenty of other terms in that vein.
None of which does somehow mean that using her as the Universal Fallback Villain automatically makes non-zero amount of sense.
Also, "scheming" does not include "blind grabbing instinct" or "for the evulz! mwahahaha!". More of the opposite, in fact.
Specifically, Lolth and on Faerun cooperated with Mystra earlier at least twice (Sshammath, Liriel). Without trying to cap it with cartoonish stupidity that would allow her to lose gain at the end, at that.
quote:
Mystra is or was out of action, and a fairly large hole opened up (sovereignty over magic and/or magicians, in whole or in part). It would be more out of character for there not to have been some kind of scramble to fill in the void. I would assume that Lolth was one of many who tried, and apparently the only one whose attempts were recorded.
One, the latter part is visibly contrived post-factum.
Two, specifically Lolth has a history of keeping high compatibility rather than customizing herself for a local deity position on any single world.
Of course, she would have to make a move if it was needed to keep her ex from encroaching on this area, but that's it - and even then she would focus on leaving as many burns as possible on his butt rather than on moving her own toward the contested chair, so even if she made a visible move, this most likely would end up in bargaining with third parties for agreeing on the "compromise" of not going further than she planned from the start or something in this vein.

Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  02:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lolth is a natural choice to attempt to usurp magic. The Weave already implies a sophisticated structure to access magic. Even among deities, Lolth's expertise at spinning webs is unsurpassed. She may be one of an extremely small cadre of deities with the skill and power to build a new weave.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000