Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Okay what is going on with Neverwinter MMO?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  00:03:01  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Might be off topic involves Novels though

So today I saw a trailer for the Icewind Dale expansion of Neverwinter MMO.

Watching the trailer already made me cringe as they are making Akar Kessel out to be a boss.

If anyone forgot Akar Kessel is the idiot mage from the original Forgotten Realms trilogy written by R.A. Salvatore who finds Crenshinibon but is in general utter useless. He even manages to kill himself in the end.

The Arcane Brotherhood is supposed to be dead after the Host Tower fell, Valindra serves Szass Tam and Arklem Greeth is trapped in a phylactery and in Gromphs possession.

But it goes on the trailer mentions the Hammerstone Dwarves, reading up on them. I found that there is a divide between the Hammerstones and Stokely Battlehammer in 1485.

Now in Night of the Hunter (don't continue if you haven't completed Night of the Hunter yet) *spoiler*:

Stokely Battlehammer dies.

Chronologically the Companions visit in 1484, they don't stay long come near luskan where they and Entreris group are spotted.

Tiago learns of Entreri they abduct them from Port LLast

After a few days Tiago through an Illithid learns Dahlia believes Drizzt to be at the Battlehammer clan.

They attack clan Battlehammer killing Stokely.

All in all not more than a few weeks should have gone by.

Where is the divide supposed to fit in?!

Nothing of this makes sense to me.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  14:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, welcome to the world of video games.

Baldur's Gate starts in 1368 DR and the protagonist is supposed to have been conceived in the Time of Troubles (=1358 DR), yet he is an adult even if s/he's an elf.

There's a lot of such inconsistencies around.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  19:05:08  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the Arcane Brotherhood. In Night of the Hunter didn't it mention that Beniago allowed some mages to occupy the ruins of the Hosttower in exchange for an alliance to cement his power in Luskan? That's probably the new Arcane Brotherhood.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  19:55:03  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

Watching the trailer already made me cringe as they are making Akar Kessel out to be a boss.

If anyone forgot Akar Kessel is the idiot mage from the original Forgotten Realms trilogy written by R.A. Salvatore who finds Crenshinibon but is in general utter useless. He even manages to kill himself in the end.

Idiot or not, Kessell did a lot of damage in The Crystal Shard. And dead or not, if he's packing magical heat, he could cause more damage, still.

If a guy with a 60 IQ shoots you, you're not gonna be any less dead than if the guy had had a 160 IQ.

quote:
The Arcane Brotherhood is supposed to be dead after the Host Tower fell[...].

I would say more like scattered, rather than dead. The various wizards dispersed to the four winds in The Pirate King.

quote:
But it goes on the trailer mentions the Hammerstone Dwarves, reading up on them. I found that there is a divide between the Hammerstones and Stokely Battlehammer in 1485.

Now in Night of the Hunter (don't continue if you haven't completed Night of the Hunter yet) *spoiler*:
(spoiler)Stokely Battlehammer dies.

Chronologically the Companions visit in 1484, they don't stay long come near luskan where they and Entreris group are spotted.

After a few days Tiago through an Illithid learns Dahlia believes Drizzt to be at the Battlehammer clan.

(/spoiler)

The adventure module Legacy of the Crystal Shard says that the divide begins in Eleint, 1485 DR, and then continues thereafter. Stokely Battlehammer is described as still being alive.

So this would seem to indicate that Night of the Hunter must take place some time after that.

Is the date ever explicitly stated in NOTH? I only have the free sample chapter, but there's no clear date in that. What it does say is that the story takes place five years after the end of the Spellplague. Now, if the Plague ran from 1385 to 1485 DR, then that would seem to place NOTH in 1490 DR, which would be well after the Sundering is supposed to take place.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  20:59:01  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NoTH is set immediately after the companions which concludes winter 1484, Wntreris group leaves the following spring which would.make it 1485

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  21:56:37  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't one of the dwarves in the novel a Hammerstone? I just finished reading the book yesterday and I remember the name.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  22:22:01  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It wasn't like the Drow fought a bunch of dwarves and Stokely fell among other dwarves, no it was a 1o1 fight vs. Tiago and the dwarves who didn't escape nor died were enslaved. Neither applies to Stokely.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  19:21:30  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a lot more to add Crystyn. Your questions are all answered by Legacy of the Crystal Shard. The Arcane Brotherhood is on the way back up and Akar Kessel is now undead. At least before NotH, there was also a rift between the Battlehammer clan dwarves with two factions, one being led by Stokely and another being led by Baerick Hammerstone.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  19:32:32  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Not a lot more to add Crystyn. Your questions are all answered by Legacy of the Crystal Shard. The Arcane Brotherhood is on the way back up and Akar Kessel is now undead. At least before NotH, there was also a rift between the Battlehammer clan dwarves with two factions, one being led by Stokely and another being led by Baerick Hammerstone.

It wasn't before NoTH as NoTH starts in 1484 (when The Companions ended).

That leaves the question how

A. Stokely survived
Or
B. Nothing of the Divide was mentioned in NoTH

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  19:51:33  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Legacy of the Crystal Shard wasn't written by Salvatore and it was released before NotH came out.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  04:27:18  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until I can read through NOTH in detail, I'll just have to go off of what Crystyn has said, here.

It sounds like the official dates for NOTH and LOTCS cannot both be correct, if we are to treat them as both being canon. Therefore, it sounds like we need to retcon a different date onto one or the other.

NOTH sounds like it directly continues from previous Drizzt novels, all of which have had clearcut dates in them. So modifying its date would be problematic, if we didn't likewise start changing dates for the other works, too.

But is there anything in LOTCS that necessitates that it has to be set in 1485 DR? Is there anything in there that directly ties in with the Sundering in the Realms at large? I know that it was marketed as taking place in 1485 DR in order to package it as part of all the Sundering materials, but is there actually any content in there that really ties it to that year, specifically? Or, could we effectively backdate it a bit, without upsetting the cart too much?

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  17:04:25  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another Sundering continuity error. Are people bothering to consult Matt Sernett or is he getting it wrong?

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  06:22:53  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baerick Hammerstone is an quest giving NPC in NWO Mod 3.

Never read LotCS, but in NWO he discovered how to work Black Ice. Collecting and working Black Ice is central to the campaign.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2014 :  06:33:23  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

Stokely Battlehammer dies.

You are correct that all of NOTH appears to take place in one spring, in the year 1484 DR.

But I think you erred in concluding that Stokely was killed. In his last chapter in NOTH, Tiago talks a lot of stuff about how he is going to kill Stokely, but we never actually read about him being killed. What it says is that Tiago disarms him, then destroys his shield, then smacks him over the head and knocks his helmet off, which drops him unconscious to the ground. He was "pitched headlong into darkness." It doesn't say "pitched headlong into death." Then the drow loot the bodies for booty and round up slaves. And it says that Tiago could rightly claim victory.

But it is entirely open-ended as to whether Stokely survived this fight.

And given LOTCS, I'd say that he must've.

So Stokely must've been taken prisoner for slavery, despite Tiago's bluster and intimidation.

And somehow, he must've been returned to Icewind Dale in order to regain leadership of the dwarves in time for LOTCS in 1485 DR.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000