Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Everbright weapon special ability
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  16:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi again,

in VGtC I have found this sentence:

"Lances are surprisingly good sellers, and the proprietor, the dwarf armorer Narthalin, is especially proud of his belts of six matched-balance everbright daggers (20 gp a set, firm)."

But inside Magic of Faerun you find that Everbright is a special ability with market price: bonus +2

Now, how is it possible that 6 daggers with Everbright costing 20 gp?

Bye
Beppe

Bye.

Beppe63

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  16:38:41  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of it is that you're comparing a 2e book to a 3e book. There are two different economic scales at work between those two sources (VGtC being 2e, Magic of Faerun being 3e).

Second, if you compare the descriptions of "everbright" between those two sources, you'll find the 3e version is more potent than the 2e version. In 2e, it just means the metal can't be tarnished or dissolved by acid/rust monsters/etc. (see VGto All THings Magical). In 3e, an everbright weapon can also blind people a couple times a day. That right there is worth it's price in gold.

So, tl:dr, if you are playing 3e, use the 3e pricing structure. If you are playing 2e, use the 2e pricing structure.

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  16:39:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well apart from going into some horribly complex discussion about version differences how about Narthalin discovered a secret safehold that contained a vault with 10,000 everbright daggers inside. He now sells them at 20gp a set and will likely be set for life as they fly off the shelves.

Alternatively he found a cheap way to imitate the everbright process but it wears off after a year and destroys the weapon. He will soon have to move before a mob of angry used to be dagger owners arrives to exact their revenge.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  18:16:31  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for the answers.

Rils, I imagined that it could be a matter of issue, in fact I had thought of "creating" two types of Everbright: a minor one as 2nd ed. and a higher as from 3rd ed. What do you think?

dazzlerdal, good idea of the abundance of daggers. I will use it to justify the price of daggers with the Everbright 2nd ed.

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000