Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Why is Shadowrealm so expensive?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  17:08:50  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I get this question quite a bit so I put up a post explaining things. Possibly of interest to some Keepers.

http://paulskemp.com/blog/why-is-shadowrealm-so-expensive/

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  20:04:22  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this rate, I'm going to hang onto my copy for a couple more years and then sell it and pay down my mortgage faster. Thanks WotC!

In all seriousness though, wouldn't this be considered a no brainer for a decent bit of revenue potential for WotC. Presumably, Paul has already been paid and all the costs of editing and formatting have already been paid. So it would only be the price of the actual printing and royalties back to Mr. Kemp.

If only Bill Gates (or some other billionaire) were secretly a huge FR fan and decided to buy the rights and let people who actually care about the fans and the setting be in creative control and development....
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  20:19:41  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could get Shadow's Witness for a decent price. Only book I'm missing of the Erevis Cale saga. (You wouldn't happen to have a copy lying around? >_>;)

I wish WotC would re-release all of your books in a new series like what happened with all of RA Salvatore's Drizzt books. I'd probably buy them all again just to have them all neatly lined up on my shelf. But I could say the same about a lot of the older FR realms books. At least they're working on releasing them as e-books, though I'd rather have an actual physical book to read instead of my tablet. I'm hardcore (stubborn) like that.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  21:10:03  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I wish I could get Shadow's Witness for a decent price. Only book I'm missing of the Erevis Cale saga. (You wouldn't happen to have a copy lying around? >_>;)

I don't, alas.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  22:56:16  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad I got my copy early

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  00:08:56  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see booksellers on Amazon listing paperback for ridiculous prices and wonder at the mental stability of someone who would pay $200 for a single paperback book.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  00:27:13  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I see booksellers on Amazon listing paperback for ridiculous prices and wonder at the mental stability of someone who would pay $200 for a single paperback book.
Most of these prices are because no one actually buys the products. The sellers are not pricing each and every article in their assortment manually. They are using bots that are just scanning what the competition is demanding on average for the same product and then set the price as that +/- X% depending how they are set up.

Perdiodically the process is repeated and if there aren't that many competitors and no one buys these products for a long time this cycle can lead to ridiculous high or low prices.

I bought books for 5 cents which were obvious the result of several cycle of bots set to "average market price -x%" and just no one caring about that particular product to notice and fix :)

As far as the mental health of a potential buyer is concerned. If it's rare and people like to collect it, they will pay outrageous sums for just about anything. I mean people are paying ten thousand of dollars for postage stamps.

Personally I would glady pay $200 to someone who delivers me a real paperback copy of Murder in Halruaa. I still hold on to the hope that, even though it was never officially released due falling right into the TSR insolvency, there must have been at least some copies been printed and are now collecting dust in some forgotten corner in some warehouse

Edited by - Mirtek on 08 Apr 2014 00:28:14
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  00:58:40  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a hard back of Murder in Halruaa...but not going to part with it...
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  03:22:00  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have Murder in Halruaa in Hardcover..how much are we talking here?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  04:33:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Most of these prices are because no one actually buys the products. The sellers are not pricing each and every article in their assortment manually. They are using bots that are just scanning what the competition is demanding on average for the same product and then set the price as that +/- X% depending how they are set up.

I put some stuff on eBay several months ago, based on Amazon prices. For the lot I was selling, the Amazon price would have been $300. I tossed the stuff on eBay with a Buy It Now of $250. The auction went up on a Sunday afternoon; it was purchased and paid for on Tuesday, less than 48 hours later.

So there may be some inflation in the Amazon aftermarket, but I'm not thinking it's all that huge.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  06:22:13  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

I've got a hard back of Murder in Halruaa...but not going to part with it...

quote:
Originally posted by jornan

I also have Murder in Halruaa in Hardcover..how much are we talking here?

Soory folks , but The hardcover is a dime a dozen.

I want to know once and for all if the paperback was ever printed and if so I want to get one
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  10:55:35  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow makes me glad I got the paperback as soon as it came out. That kind of pricing is way out of my budget.
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  12:06:23  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so much happy to a bought a copy few years ago for less than 10$ .... and will keep it safe in my bookshelf along with other FR novels:P

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2014 :  17:31:59  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I could send you the book

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2014 :  19:38:27  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hah! Seems like some lucky chaps in San Francisco got lucky when they found my box of books sitting on the curb. Surprisingly I couldn't give them away at any of the local book stores OR even Goodwill. So I ended up putting them on the street (they were gone by the afternoon). If only I had the patience or the time to sell them on eBay. Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  18:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wizardwar , by Elaine Cunningham, used to have a similar problem. Its price seems to have dropped now that the eBook has been out for a few years.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000