Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Untouched Drow Cities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  12:44:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given all those uses of "lin" I'm more inclined to think it means "drow".

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  15:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

szith - ten

lin is a little harder, I find it as prefix only for these words:

linath - song
linathen - songs
lince'sa - pet
linddil - lizardman
lindua - sings
linoin - west
lintaguth - platter
linth'el - cauldron
linthar - bard
lintharen - bards
linthel - melody
linthelea - melodious
linthelen - melodies
linthre - brazier

Where did you find this info? It looks like it would be very handy.

So I'm guessing Szith might relate to the number or houses perhaps. Something like "The 10 families" or maybe more akin to the 3rd Reich, so the "10th empire". Hmmm interesting.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  17:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eli - Kentinal's probably pulled it from the drow dictionary available at Maerdyn website, originally from the Temple of Lolth site (and a vast majority of the words can be traced to the AD&D Drow of the Underdark by Ed)

http://www.grey-company.org/Maerdyn/resources/language.html

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  22:57:46  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I pulled it from here http://eilistraee.com/chosen/language.php , there are Drow to Common, Common to Drow and a few others guides and aids.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  17:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering does anyone know anything more about V'elddrinnsshar beyond what is stated in Demihuman Deities and Storm of the Dead?

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  19:11:12  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eli the Tanner

I was wondering does anyone know anything more about V'elddrinnsshar beyond what is stated in Demihuman Deities and Storm of the Dead?

Needs more doubles, for maximum unpronounceabilty.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  20:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, but if the humans can't pronounce the city, then they won't be able to talk about how to attack it! A brilliant plan, I think.

On the subject of drow armies, there's a neat article in Dragon 115 called Elven Armies and Dwarves-at-arms that provide updates for the fighter follower table by race. Of course, it's 1e, so it does require a bit of updating. But it provides a variety that might be helpful.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Abeir
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2015 :  22:28:32  Show Profile Send Abeir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Resurrecting this thread so I don't start a new one.

I just wrote a post about the city of Karsoluthiyl. Long story short here is that it's located underneath the sea floor west of Baldur's Gate. It is a trading power whose ruling house has holdings in the Undermountain/Skullport. Ruling House is Tanor'Thal, only other house named is House Lysaen. If you want more info my post is at http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20526.

Jhachalkhyn is a city that is shown on the map in Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark as being almost where Gauntylgrym is now placed, whereas Gauntylgrym was shown as being much closer to Mirabar than it is now, so the exact location is probably still a mystery.It is known that Fey-Branche of Menzoberranzan had relatives and business investments here. Sometime around the Time of Troubles fellow Drow from the City of Maeralyn found a portal that led to Jhachalkhyn and conquered it, leaving the city mostly destroyed. Nothing else is known of its history other than that it was one of the cities that held a Jaezred Chaulssin fosterage and used the Silence of Lolth to it's advantage, allowing male-led merchant clans to gain power.

Maeralyn, meanwhile is not described beyond this military adventure other thanto describe it as far, far to the south. And indeed, the same map places it underneath the sea floor just west of the island of Thrasult.

Dusklyngh is another of the Drow cities with a successful Jaezred Chaulssin aided rebellion. It is not described but it is placed north of the Frozen Forest on the eastern side of Anauroch/The Buried Realms. Only one individual from Dusklyngh is known of: Uuedurnn Valsharn, a male explorer engaged in opening routes from Menzoberranzan to the surface.

Another interesting one is the Drow that have inhabited the old dwarven realm of Ultoksamrin, located underneath the Marching Mountains and the Forest of Mir. There were originally four settlements: Allsihwann, Dallnothax, Holldaybim, and Iskasshyoll. The settlements were founded by Vhaeraunite defectors from Guallidurth during the time of the Night Wars. Allsihwann was destroyed by Guallidurth and the remaining settlements were subjected to continuing crusades to defeat them. The settlements are located in the Upperdark, with each having a few surface buildings, and more extensive underground holdings. They are ruled centrally from a cavern known as the Vault of Cloaked Midnight which is located a mile underneath Mount Sarengard. The population started out around 12k but fell to just over half of that due to the warfare with Guallidurth.
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2015 :  09:15:55  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great lore Abeir. Where did you get most of this info?

Go to Top of Page

Abeir
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  06:56:25  Show Profile Send Abeir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eli the Tanner

Great lore Abeir. Where did you get most of this info?

That info was from Drizz't Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark and the Menzoberranzan set.

Underdark (3.5) says The Most successful of these invaders are some heretical Drow who follow Vhaerun. These small drow clans have settled into a cluster of defensible clanholds around the old dwarven capital. Their leader, Vokkrzyr Rualfren maintains a standing offer to surface elves, inviting them to visit him and enjoy his hospitality in the former dwarven realm. In fact, he seeks interested parties who might consent to aid him in striking a dire blow to the Lolth-worshipping drow of Guallidurth (p142.

However in Demihuman Deities page 43 it describes the settlements in the same way as I already did, but names them as Holldaybim, Daltnothax (Hall of Midnight Bloodshed), and Iskasshyoll (Onyx Labyrinth). It also says their leader is Masoj Naerth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000