Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Night of the Hunter *spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2014 :  15:36:35  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is more depth to tos'un's story. It's detailed in the comic book Cutter.

I certainly hope Dahlia is not redeemed. Her life is a tragedy, but she has lived more of it as CE than anything else.

I would love to see Regis split from the companions and rejoin Donnola or even the halfling band that he was with in the companions. New adventures, new places, new friends and enemies. Byers does a great job of separating the Brotherhood of the Griffon and then reassembling them when the story needs it. RAS could do something like that. Cattibrie could go and get some formal cleric/Mage training and that would be an amazing book and probably make her chAracter as interesting as the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  21:48:55  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the most part, I really loved the book, but I did have some issues with Dahlia becoming a matron mother and the whole resurrection of the Do'Urden house even though the new house doesn't have a single Do'Urden in it.

Quenthel the Eternal was really nice. It was awesome when she started having revelations about how things in Menzoberrazan really worked, like how there were a few males in the city that really weren't under all of the priestesses collective boot. I really love Grompth. And Entreri continues to be great.

The single part of the book that I really hated? The part where Mielliki says that all goblinkin are unredeemably evil. That's just stupid. And then the big proof of this? Because Mielikki says so. Drow are evil because of their society, but goblinkin are evil just because. Got to hand it to RAS (and whoever else decided this), they just managed to turn all goblinkin into boring villains in one fell swoop.

And if that wasn't bad enough, their explanation for any apparent goblinkin that is good? They have mixed blood. That was just vomit-inducing. No, Nojheim isn't a goblin Drizzt, he's 1/100th elf.

Oh well, I hope when they wipe-out Many-Arrows we get a scene where the Companions of the Hall come across an orc nursery and we get to see Cattie-Brie and Bruenor killing orc babies.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 19 Apr 2014 21:59:03
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  23:27:47  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

For the most part, I really loved the book, but I did have some issues with Dahlia becoming a matron mother and the whole resurrection of the Do'Urden house even though the new house doesn't have a single Do'Urden in it.

That's why I assumed Dahlia might be pregnant but I don't think the time adds up.

quote:
Quenthel the Eternal was really nice. It was awesome when she started having revelations about how things in Menzoberrazan really worked, like how there were a few males in the city that really weren't under all of the priestesses collective boot. I really love Grompth. And Entreri continues to be great.

I didn't like how she was suddenly portrayed to be stupid, she was High Priestess of Lolth, who personally recognised her worth by resurrecting her, she didn't seem that dumb in WoTSQ and she even managed to dethrone her Matron Mother Baenre sister.

quote:
The single part of the book that I really hated? The part where Mielliki says that all goblinkin are unredeemably evil. That's just stupid. And then the big proof of this? Because Mielikki says so. Drow are evil because of their society, but goblinkin are evil just because. Got to hand it to RAS (and whoever else decided this), they just managed to turn all goblinkin into boring villains in one fell swoop.

That bothered me as well as one Orcs are able to love humans and even have children with them. Next multiple Oboulds exhibited great intellect and wisdom, the 2nd companions (Drizzts party after Bruenors official funeral) included an Orc mage who even helped in Bruenors staged funeral as well as a Goblin. I hope it wasn't RAS idea as he managed to really make out Orcs to be more than they were ever portrayed as before, I really liked Obould.

quote:
And if that wasn't bad enough, their explanation for any apparent goblinkin that is good? They have mixed blood. That was just vomit-inducing. No, Nojheim isn't a goblin Drizzt, he's 1/100th elf.

Oh well, I hope when they wipe-out Many-Arrows we get a scene where the Companions of the Hall come across an orc nursery and we get to see Cattie-Brie and Bruenor killing orc babies.

So Drizzt is the chosen of Mielikki while faltering in his faith immediately even though receiving the greatest gift one could imagine for him he got nothing that represents his acts in the name of Mielikki.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  02:52:19  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also a little annoyed by Drizzt's continual skepticism when it comes to the gods. Mielikki clearly gave him a gift that clearly wasn't a mere magic trick. Wulfgar too was doubtful, despite the fact he was there. Even though 5e is supposed to make the gods more of a backdrop, they still remain a force in the Realms.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  18:27:37  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
That's why I assumed Dahlia might be pregnant but I don't think the time adds up.

You slightly just blew my mind there. I don't think it adds up, either but man this would be a pretty awesome twist.

I also would like to see more of Doum'wielle. Love this character. Half-Drow, battle-mage, wields Khazid'hea. I'll take her over any of the new companions introduced, (except Artemis, of course). I'd love to see her featured more, maybe even by Drizzt's side in future books. If any of the CotH meet their end again, or even if something like Regis leaves to go hang out with his old halfing group, the something ponies I think? She could tag right in. Would love to see this.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

“Get him, ser, get him, get him, he's right there!!!”
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  18:51:03  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yurilowell
I also would like to see more of Doum'wielle. Love this character. Half-Drow, battle-mage, wields Khazid'hea. I'll take her over any of the new companions introduced, (except Artemis, of course). I'd love to see her featured more, maybe even by Drizzt's side in future books. If any of the CotH meet their end again, or even if something like Regis leaves to go hang out with his old halfing group, the something ponies I think? She could tag right in. Would love to see this.

I don't know I liked Ambergris and Afafrenfere (actually got his name right on the first try) never was a fan of a semi-good Artemis though and ArtemisxDahlia shouldn't happen nor get a happy ending in my opinion.

Funnily Doum'wielle was already mentioned all the way back in The Orc King, apparently Drizzt knows of Tos'un and his family (the mother was Sinnafein and the brother Teirflin).

Edited by - Crystyn on 22 Apr 2014 18:51:33
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  19:24:13  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

[...] ArtemisxDahlia shouldn't happen nor get a happy ending in my opinion.

Artemahlia.

Sounds like "Our tamale, yeah".

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  12:19:14  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't know I liked Ambergris and Afafrenfere (actually got his name right on the first try) never was a fan of a semi-good Artemis though and ArtemisxDahlia shouldn't happen nor get a happy ending in my opinion.

Funnily Doum'wielle was already mentioned all the way back in The Orc King, apparently Drizzt knows of Tos'un and his family (the mother was Sinnafein and the brother Teirflin).

Interesting I didn't remember Doum'wielle being in The Orc King, it's been a while...I'll have to look through it again. I do remember Tos'un though, he played a semi-important role if I remember and was probably the next closest thing to Drizzt in terms of a Drow 'escaping from Menzo' and actually developing into a decent person who goes against the typical drow stereotype.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  19:14:53  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting I didn't remember Doum'wielle being in The Orc King, it's been a while...I'll have to look through it again.

She wasn't actually in it. Lord Hralien just mentioned her in passing.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  03:51:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree about the orc thing, it was a huge and unneeded retcon and ruined what would have been a good novel to me. They ruined, a hope bunch of species, orc, goblins, hobgoblins, bearbugs, blues and possibly others in one shot, in a way that is both creepy and made no sense whatso ever, especially with previously established lore.

Didn't Drizzt adventure with an Orc Priestess for a time?

I mean really no it okay to murder orc babies, because they're born evil. And how are you supposed to know where lineages might have blood from a normal free willed race? Do you check the orc babies ancestory before you kill it.

I don't care if its born "evil", I'd convert to another God/faith if my God told me that, there is no way I'm killing babies, or any other defenceless orcs.

He managed to ruin Mielikki as well in the process. Did no one read that and tell him how bad that came off?

I mean trying to justify genocide like that is just disturning.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  04:12:05  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually agree. Mielikki has no love for orcs or goblins, but I don't think she's the type of goddess to be like "destroy them all!" Mielikki much prefers peace. I too was surprised and disappointed by that whole exchange.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  18:02:25  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You slightly just blew my mind there. I don't think it adds up, either but man this would be a pretty awesome twist.

I love Doum'wielle, too. What's that about Dahlia being pregnant?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  01:35:44  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

[quote]

It'd would have fit, nothing would hurt Drizzt mire than a kid of his being brought up to be a Drow through and through and it'd add legitimacy towards House Do'Urden's resurrection.

But as said I don't think the time adds up from when Drizzt last had sex w/ Dahlia. (unless elf pregnancies work differently)

Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2014 :  14:42:46  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

quote:

It's more of a crackpot theory than anything. She probably isn't because the timing doesn't add up. However, I will say I have no clue if an elf who got pregnant from a Drow would have a typical 9-10 month pregnancy. Could be different I suppose. Anyway, point is she probably is not pregant with Drizzt's child, but when I first heard this suggested the thought of the implications blew my mind a bit. Things would get a bit crazy I assume.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  21:56:01  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Byers does a great job of separating the Brotherhood of the Griffon and then reassembling them when the story needs it.
But then they need a catch phrase. How about "Companions compile!" ?
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  07:08:34  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished it, and I have to say that it had some strong positives but also some serious negatives.

The positives:

There was a nice back-and-forth incorporation of Dahlia's group and Drizzt's group, story-wise. They played off of each other well and kept the narrative moving cleanly.

I liked that more discussion happened among the characters about their rebirths, how their new lives have an impact and what these things mean for each other. Rebirth into a new life should have a serious and lasting impact, and I think we'll see more of this in a good way.

Regis's increasing complexity and his "tinkering" to make new toys and alchemical weapons is a very positive development.

Quenthel's rather creepy "merging" with memories of Yvonnel was masterfully done, I think. The machinations all made sense for the most part, and her Matron Mother status comes to a kind of fruition here. Quenthel always struck me as rather uninteresting and simple, so this was a particularly good enrichment of a major villain.

The negatives:

The entire thread about rebuilding the Do'Urden House and placing a certain someone as it's new Matron Mother was the weakest, most bizarre development I've ever seen in an RAS novel. It really just doesn't make sense for the drow, unless they're just completely nuts. Sure, it's explained as Lolth demanding it, but this is all just a weirdly grand buildup to what? Obviously it's got to fall eventually, but there doesn't seem much of a point to having a propped-up fake Do'Urden House as opposed to using any other established House. The name means that much? Drizzt really means that much? Why not resurrect Drizzt's mother or Si'Nafay and give one of them real tools to go after Drizzt? It's just a big pile of oddness.

Going on and on about how Cattie-Brie hates the orcs because they're irredeemably evil (and officially confirmed by Mieliekki, no less) is a huge backward step for the Realms. Clearly this is a WotC decision, but it's a mistake if they want a return to complexity. Black-and-white evil, where entire races are considered irredeemably evil, is hugely limiting from a literary standpoint and goes against all the good, complex developments for orcs and other "evil" races over the past 20 years. Furthermore, the way it was presented in the novel was incredibly ham-fisted.

Afafrenfere never really did much for me, so keeping him alive is rather "meh" as a decision. How he survived makes a kind of sense, but I'm hoping that he just goes back to Damara and we don't see him again.

The more I see Catti-Brie as a wizard and a cleric (some kind of Mystic Theurge?), the less and less I like her character. It's not really that she's too powerful (and she is bordering on being a Mary Sue), it's more that I really have trouble seeing her as a mage and cleric. Everyone should grow and have character development, but these things never really fit her core nature IMO. There really should have been a different path for Catti-Brie, somehow.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  19:04:58  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's more of a crackpot theory than anything. She probably isn't because the timing doesn't add up. However, I will say I have no clue if an elf who got pregnant from a Drow would have a typical 9-10 month pregnancy. Could be different I suppose. Anyway, point is she probably is not pregant with Drizzt's child, but when I first heard this suggested the thought of the implications blew my mind a bit. Things would get a bit crazy I assume.

It could actually work, from what I've read it comes down to elf gestation being slightly longer about a year or so but what seems weird is that previously it was said that when different elf races mixed that one heritage would prevail, wood elves on the other hand are descendants of 2 elf races, oh and Doum'wielle seems to be half drow, half moon elf.

quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Afafrenfere never really did much for me, so keeping him alive is rather "meh" as a decision. How he survived makes a kind of sense, but I'm hoping that he just goes back to Damara and we don't see him again.

I liked Afafrenfere and Ambergris, I agree that they wouldn't have contributed to the story or the group synergy though. I am also happy that Artemis group dispersed and hopefully that'll be it w/ Artemis for a while.
quote:
The more I see Catti-Brie as a wizard and a cleric (some kind of Mystic Theurge?), the less and less I like her character. It's not really that she's too powerful (and she is bordering on being a Mary Sue), it's more that I really have trouble seeing her as a mage and cleric. Everyone should grow and have character development, but these things never really fit her core nature IMO. There really should have been a different path for Catti-Brie, somehow.

Their group always called for a mage as they had next to no defence against any magic whatsoever. Drizzt getting Taulmaril helped enormously as it made him a bit of a pseudo mage with his innate Drown abilities in addition. RAS set CB up to be a mage with 2 swords already and CB was always more on the discipline side and her affections to Drizzt and her dwarf upbringing were probably the reason she picked the sword instead. The prolonged life of a mage is a bonus.

Edited by - Crystyn on 19 May 2014 19:05:58
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  19:10:54  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do mages really have a prolonged life? I know that many powerful ones do find ways to prolong their life outside the obvious lichdom, but I never got the impression that being a mage helped with longevity (quite the contrary really).

Cattie-Brie will probably have an extended life due to her status as a chosen of Mielikki/Mystra (if this still holds true).

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  20:19:44  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do mages really have a prolonged life? I know that many powerful ones do find ways to prolong their life outside the obvious lichdom, but I never got the impression that being a mage helped with longevity (quite the contrary really).

Just being a wizard or sorcerer doesn't grant an extended life.

It's perhaps easier to find methods to extend one's life, such as lichdom or making potions of longevity, but it's not inherent to the class.

quote:
Cattie-Brie will probably have an extended life due to her status as a chosen of Mielikki/Mystra (if this still holds true).

That's probably true, I agree.

quote:

Their group always called for a mage as they had next to no defence against any magic whatsoever. Drizzt getting Taulmaril helped enormously as it made him a bit of a pseudo mage with his innate Drown abilities in addition. RAS set CB up to be a mage with 2 swords already and CB was always more on the discipline side and her affections to Drizzt and her dwarf upbringing were probably the reason she picked the sword instead. The prolonged life of a mage is a bonus.

Well, no group in any novel (or even in the game) requires a mage. Magical protections, even healing, can come easily enough through magical items.

Originally, Catti-Brie was set up to be more of an archer and light melee combatant. I never got the impression she was headed for wizardry until it happened rather suddenly and out of the blue with training from Lady Alustriel. I suppose that could be called "set up" but it was a really late addition and seemed out of place for her.

My point really is that --in my opinion-- mage/priest spellcasting just doesn't seem to fit well with Catti-Brie's core character. She still strikes me as more of a melee/archer in her nature and makeup, perhaps because there were no real indications of her seeking out libraries or mystical tomes or scrolls - not even being very interested in them as a scholar-wizard tends to be. Additionally, the "Priest of Mielikki" also doesn't really suit her nature. When I think of Mielikki's faithful, I think of benevolent druids, protectors of the forest, quiet loners who heal little forest animals, and rangers who love the hunt and deeply respect the animals they kill for food. For me, it's more of a "character feel" that doesn't add up. She's never really struck me as a deep thinker or as being religiously devout.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 19 May 2014 20:49:59
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  23:08:37  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's really starting to tire me is Robert's Drow&Psionic fetisch. Yeah I get it, drow are the master race and everyone else is an inferior worm.

Yeah, these dwarves are described as battle hardened in one sentence, but only so that it can be made clear that this merely means any rank and file drow soldier can take two of them. I cheered when at least this one weapon master dude was swarmed and killed, I totally expected the weapon master coming out from under a big pile of dead dwarves with a grin.

And not forget that the neverwinter series made it clear that just because you traded some of your essence for shadow stuff, don't you fool think you could be as stealthy as a fully mortal drow, oh no sir!

Oooh and psionics are the new uber of course.

Really, is there anything a kinetic barrier can not block? Several arrows from Taulmaril and now a full cave-in? And Kimmuriel is sooo perfect, Lolth is probably asking for his OK before she starts any of her plots (and if she would dare to smite him, who cares? Kinnetic Barier!).

Edited by - Mirtek on 19 May 2014 23:12:22
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  23:18:57  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Drow are supposed to be elite warriors.

I'm more annoyed by the inconsistency between authors. It's kind of annoying when in one book Drow are awesome warriors and then in another relatively inexperienced heroes are killing Drow by the handful. Same with the Shadovar.

Edited by - Tanthalas on 19 May 2014 23:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  23:56:04  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, Drow are supposed to be elite warriors.
Obviously the only ones in the realms going by RAS novels
quote:

I'm more annoyed by the inconsistency between authors.
Indeed. And such inconsistency happens with so many topics (e.g what's a deity between novels from Byers and from Kemp). WotC really need a "realms traffic cop" making sure all authors are on the same level on certain things.

While I certainly agreed that the drow in Prince of Ravens were written as too easy, highligh to read: it was refreshing reading about a human city repelling a drow assault and then mounting their own invasing into the upper underdark to completly destroy their outpost and expedition army

Edited by - Mirtek on 19 May 2014 23:58:27
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  00:32:18  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

What's really starting to tire me is Robert's Drow&Psionic fetisch. Yeah I get it, drow are the master race and everyone else is an inferior worm.

Yeah, these dwarves are described as battle hardened in one sentence, but only so that it can be made clear that this merely means any rank and file drow soldier can take two of them. I cheered when at least this one weapon master dude was swarmed and killed, I totally expected the weapon master coming out from under a big pile of dead dwarves with a grin.

And not forget that the neverwinter series made it clear that just because you traded some of your essence for shadow stuff, don't you fool think you could be as stealthy as a fully mortal drow, oh no sir!

Oooh and psionics are the new uber of course.

Really, is there anything a kinetic barrier can not block? Several arrows from Taulmaril and now a full cave-in? And Kimmuriel is sooo perfect, Lolth is probably asking for his OK before she starts any of her plots (and if she would dare to smite him, who cares? Kinnetic Barier!).

Well Shadovars aren't all even supposed to be stealthy it just comes with the trade, Drow are taught stealth from their early childhood.

Also in NoTH the Drow are fighting the Icewind Dale dwarves, who are much less accustomed to fighting in tunnels and completely clueless in fighting Drow. They are miners first and warriors second. The Icewind Dales have been rather peaceful the past century after all.

I honestly don't remember Kimmuriel vs. Taulmaril but when fighting mages Drizzt usually needed a barrage of arrows to break their shield.

Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  15:33:36  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The entire thread about rebuilding the Do'Urden House and placing a certain someone as it's new Matron Mother was the weakest, most bizarre development I've ever seen in an RAS novel. It really just doesn't make sense for the drow, unless they're just completely nuts. Sure, it's explained as Lolth demanding it, but this is all just a weirdly grand buildup to what? Obviously it's got to fall eventually, but there doesn't seem much of a point to having a propped-up fake Do'Urden House as opposed to using any other established House. The name means that much? Drizzt really means that much? Why not resurrect Drizzt's mother or Si'Nafay and give one of them real tools to go after Drizzt? It's just a big pile of oddness.

Yeah seems like the Drow are going on the deep end. I think your spot on it's going to lead to their demise. I can't recall how many books the 'companion's codex' is going to consist of, but I wouldn't be surprised if during the last one we see the Drow and Menzo culture completely re-arranged. I attribute a combination of Quenthel being somewhat weak minded for a Drow priestess and Yvonnel's scattered thoughts filled with resentment towards those to killed her as to why things are so crazy. This might be Bob's way of shaking up the Drow.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  16:07:51  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah seems like the Drow are going on the deep end. I think your spot on it's going to lead to their demise. I can't recall how many books the 'companion's codex' is going to consist of, but I wouldn't be surprised if during the last one we see the Drow and Menzo culture completely re-arranged. I attribute a combination of Quenthel being somewhat weak minded for a Drow priestess and Yvonnel's scattered thoughts filled with resentment towards those to killed her as to why things are so crazy. This might be Bob's way of shaking up the Drow.

Well for one Lolth was really angry for being unable to get Drizzt, which might suggest Dahlia was her agent back then already, and secondly as Gromph mentioned the Drow were too orderly, almost tame, in recent decades. Problem is that if Baenre falls Jarlaxle has free reign which sounds nice but that'd mean he'd be able turn into a good guy w/o consequences and that'd just be wrong. There is also no replacement for Gromph, he made sure of that. Menzoberanzzan w/o Baenre is weak, barely a threat to the surface world.

Edited by - Crystyn on 20 May 2014 16:11:31
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  18:47:37  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I've argued this already in this thread but:

Considering how The Sundering is here to bring back that vintage FR feeling, I doubt the Baenre are getting wiped out any time soon. This is just the plot they're using to get rid of Many Arrows.

Go to Top of Page

RealmsForgedChild
Acolyte

New Zealand
5 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  01:59:57  Show Profile Send RealmsForgedChild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The quote that hit me hardest in this book sincerely. Cattiebrie where's the babies room?
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  20:55:18  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RealmsForgedChild

The quote that hit me hardest in this book sincerely. Cattiebrie where's the babies room?

Well let's not forget Bruenor cooks giant brains inside their heads...

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  12:40:17  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RealmsForgedChild

Oh yeah, it's because of that quote that I really want to see the Companions of the Hall come across an "orc nursery" and see Cattie-Brie and Bruenor killing defenseless orc babies just to exemplify how ridiculous the whole situation is.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000