Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Shards (celestial servants) of Selune
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  08:50:05  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings fellow scribes,
i was wondering if any of you have ever used in your campaign the Shards of Selune, how did you portray them and what role did you put them into (mentor/guide/leader/cohort)?
Also, have they ever been statted in official sources? If not, how did you stat them or would stat them?
Keeping in mind a 3.5e frame i'm currently unsure if i should go directly for an angel/deva with divine spellcasting class levels (such as cleric or favored soul) or if i should go with a basic race divine spellcaster and then slap the half-celestial template or any other template on it (considering they were once mortal priestesses of Selune). Any tips?

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  12:20:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

i was wondering if any of you have ever used in your campaign the Shards of Selune, how did you portray them and what role did you put them into (mentor/guide/leader/cohort)?
They are supposed to do one thing, on Prime, ever: guard temples. No?
quote:
Also, have they ever been statted in official sources? If not, how did you stat them or would stat them?
Not sure whether there's anything specific about Shards.
But they are planetars. Statistics are in Monstrous Compendium Appendix: Planescape 1 (#2602); Warriors of Heaven chimes in for tuning minions' abilities by deity's sphere. I'd go through spells and swap them to thematic when possible, too, especially Selunite spells from FR sources - Wall of Moonlight, etc.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  13:06:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, not sure how it would work out.... but just the idea of "shards of Selune" gave me the idea of.... what if instead of planetars, each was an aspect of a different moon deity of Toril (i.e. Selune, Eilistraee, Sehanine Moonbow, Cegilune, Hathor, Sharindlar, etc...). It would break with canon of course, but I was thinking along the lines of the fact that the shattered moon offers separate control. May not be a good idea....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  14:43:52  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
They are supposed to do one thing, on Prime, ever: guard temples. No?

Uhm, nope. Faiths & Avatars says they are sometime sent to help mortal followers and on the holy day of the Conjuring of the Second Moon (during Shieldmeet) they appear to do the bidding of the mortal clergy and then take one of the priestesses to be one of them when they depart.

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
Not sure whether there's anything specific about Shards.
But they are planetars. Statistics are in Monstrous Compendium Appendix: Planescape 1 (#2602); Warriors of Heaven chimes in for tuning minions' abilities by deity's sphere. I'd go through spells and swap them to thematic when possible, too, especially Selunite spells from FR sources - Wall of Moonlight, etc.

Ah yes, missed the line where it says they're really planetars, guess i'll rewrite their powers to be less generic-angel and more Selunite.
Go to Top of Page

ymerguer
Acolyte

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  07:40:04  Show Profile Send ymerguer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

The stats for Planetars can be found in various sources, as mentioned. But considering the way the Shard of Selune is described in the novel "The Wyvern´s Spur" I am not sure to what degree it is possible to "map" the stat block in MC to the description in the novel. I tried to make a connection there, but I guess "artistic freedom" won over the formalities :) In the novel, the abilities/spells include "teleport other without error" and a variant of "sunray". It gives some ideas on how to use the Shards of Selune, anyway.

Stefan N. Halck
Still playing 2E - only it has matured a bit along the way
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  15:10:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ymerguer

The stats for Planetars can be found in various sources, as mentioned. But considering the way the Shard of Selune is described in the novel "The Wyvern´s Spur" I am not sure to what degree it is possible to "map" the stat block in MC to the description in the novel. I tried to make a connection there, but I guess "artistic freedom" won over the formalities :) In the novel, the abilities/spells include "teleport other without error" and a variant of "sunray". It gives some ideas on how to use the Shards of Selune, anyway.
Selune is a goddess of navigation/travel, thus Teleport is thematically fitting. Not necessarily without error, but may as well add inherent bonuses for check - for the same reason they have teleport in the first place.
Specifically temple at Immersea: Mother Lleddew used a scrying font (it would be surprising if that place did not have some sort of a scrying pool). Regular scrying on environs of the temple would make those areas "familiar", and it's not like Shards have a lot to do when the temple isn't threatened, after all. Moreover, since Wyvernspurs are traditional allies and clients of the temple, their doorsteps are more likely to be familiar than almost any other place in the town.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  23:01:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planetars are capable of being divine casters (priests, paladins, etc). These Shards might be granted special powers as a sign of Selûne‘s favour, likewise they may also possess divine magics undiscovered (or forgotten) by mortal priests.

And who knows - maybe there are such things as celestials or aasimars infected by lycanthropy.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  11:34:14  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some ideas relating to Servants of Selune, not just the Shards/Planetars, you might want to have a look at Bestiary of the Realms: Volume 2 by Tom Costa and Eric L Boyd.

It details the Slivers of Selune. It has some nice info and might spark some ideas...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000